Point Bock | Stevens Point Brewery

Stevens Point Brewery
Wisconsin, United States
pointbeer.com

Style: Bock

The origin of Point Bock Beer can be traced back to 1938. Production was discontinued in 1942 to be returned after WWII in 1945. Since that time, for more than 55 years, Point Bock was brewed yearly.
This recipe was discovered in the archives by Brewmaster Gabe Hopkins – a traditional bock with toasty malt sweetness, full-bodied flavor, and a rich roasted aroma.

Enjoy this unique taste of history…Bock is Back!

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-07-2002

Reviews by yooper920:

2.5/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This might be the coolest logo I've ever seen. Ram/Mountain Goat slamming a beer. You can't make this stuff up. Fun to clear out the Wisconsin notes from yesteryear.

Faint pour on this one, more like a pale bock. Wispy thin head. Marginal yeast aroma here, but it is coming off more like your standard mass produced lager than anything discernably bockish.
Taste is thin as well, pretty easy to drink, as bocks aren't my cup of tea, but lacks anything I'd be drinking in lousy Wisconsin (s)March weather. Grassy, minimal alcohol, not warming at all. I think this would have been a better beer for the heat of Summerfest as opposed to its springtime release.

Was cool they had this at the goth bar on the southside of milwaukee for a little while.

3.44/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.98/5  rDev +26.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

this beer is not retired, it's only brewed in the spring time and it's awesome,very smooth no bitterness

2.78/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This is a definite spring pale bock kind of beer, looks yellow, white head, 1/2. Lager yeast, Just pretty much tastes like a regular cheap Wisconsin beer with a funky lager yeast.

Alcohol not over done, everything relatively light and easy drinking except for the yeast flavors of grass and tea.
I'm not really down with this beer. It truly does come off as a macro bock with a little more yeast than you'd expect.

3.33/5  rDev +6.1%

This beer had a nice color, sort of a burgundy-brown color. The head started off nice but eventually settled down to just a thin sheet. This beer did have nice lacing though. I thought the aroma was weak with nothing really shouting out. Maybe a hint of sweet malt with a little bit of a grassy background. The taste surprised me, I'm not very familiar with the style but I was expecting something sweeter. The taste up front is mildly sweet followed by a dark fruit taste. The finish is sort of dry but not a deal breaker. I would drink this beer again. I am interested in trying more of the style to see if my opinion of this changes.

2.97/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I'm drawn to review the Point brewery largely out of loyalty. As an alumnus of UWSP I cut my teeth, so to speak, on some of these beers. Point Bock being one of my first experiences with different and certainly dark beers. The first 1/2 barrels of bock were always a festive occassion. My bias runs from sentimentality, rather than purity. This is an attractice looking beer with crystal clear clarity and a beautiful amber color and nice head. The aroma is malty, but not strong enough. The taste lacks the strong caramel flavor that a good bock possesses. Mouthfeel is pleasant but a little thin. This is more of a session style beer, than a sit back, relax and enjoy a really complex, flavorful beer.

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

3.7/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.4/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.59/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.88/5  rDev +23.6%

This beer is a lighter bock than I am accustomed to drinking, but is a good beer just the same. For me, it drinks like a lager with more flavor. It has a nice dark amber color, a fair head, and a clean finish. It is missing the malty sweetness that most good bocks have, and the ABV seems to be a litlle low for a bock. The aroma is fairly clean, like a lager would be, once again not what I would expect from a bock style beer. That being said, I could drink these all day long. A good, easy drinking beer. Just wish I could get some here in PA.

Point Bock from Stevens Point Brewery