Point Special | Stevens Point Brewery

pointbeer.com

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-19-2002

Best beer ever

Taste- not bitter, not overly defined- Just right

Smell - Wheaty aroma- perfect head when poured in pilsner glass.

Very well balanced. Awesome on tap. Very good for the price. Great Brewery tour also. Go on it.l I wish more bars in the State of WI would sell it on tap or even in bottles.

4.54/5  rDev +47.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

I really like this beer. I was once told that with wine..."big meal big wine", meaning with a robust mean you should have a robust wine. I think with this beer it is the same thing, so Point Special Lager would not be a beer I would have with a T-Bone steak..but sitting outside eating brats/burgers/fish it is great. Very easy to drink. It's also a really good beer to just drink by itself. Also..I like the cans the best...good graphics.

It seems that over the past few years the fruity/heavy craft beers are all the rage..but I have never liked those. Just give me a beer that is not too heavy...that is smooth and won't give me that "too full" feeling after 2-3 beers. Point Special Lager is "spot on".

4.52/5  rDev +46.8%

The beer pours a beautiful golden color with a thin white head.

The nose of this brew is a light malt with just a touch of hops.

The taste is sweet with a light but solid hoppy finish.

This beer is a little light on the palate.

This is a beer which can be drank all night long with no taste overload like a heavier beer.

Poit Beer is not just for breakfast anymore. Give it a try.

4.35/5  rDev +41.2%

Appearance - Pours a clear golden-yellow color with a half-inch thick head that dissipates quickly.

Smell - Sweet, grainy, lemon zest, and maybe a slight bit of coriander.

Taste - Pretty sweet with lemon, maybe some corn, grain, grass, and a bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Somewhat thin body and light carbonation.

Overall - This would be the perfect beer on a hot summer day. Very crisp.

4.23/5  rDev +37.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a small stemmed pilsner glass. Pours a honey-gold, with a big, frothy, white head on top. Great retention. Mild citrus, dry grains, smack of lemon the finish. Crisp, clean mouth feel wets the palate. Not too slick. Really fresh beer. I love the flavor on this one! Fresh crisp bitterness, lemon, lime rind, grassy notes - really a "green" beer. I like this one a lot. This is an adjunct? For reals? I thought this had a lot of pilsner character with the sharp pale citrus, hop presence, and crisp feel. If this is an adjunct, this is one of the best out there. I would stock and restock the fridge with this beer. I'll be getting this one again when I'm back in WI.

4.21/5  rDev +36.7%

Number one winner. I always pick up a case of this if I'm in Wood/Portage County. Go for the cans, bottles aren't worth it. You can't beat it for a throw around, old-time Wisconsin social beer. It's cheap and tastes better than MKE's Best, High Life, Bud, Butch Light, etc. Plus, in the marketing is king macro/micro world, this company has basically never changed theirs. Something to think about.

They also have a bunch of well done micros and seasonal beers with fancy marketing.

4.16/5  rDev +35.1%

Point Special is a great american lager that has not changed it's flavor over the years. A crisp and smooth lager that is not light and not heavy. You can taste the history in this brew, like it tasted 100 years ago. I guess I am just idealizing it. But as far as American lagers go, this is premium stuff.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

$2.00 / Can
Archies Bar
Stevens Point, Wisconsin

Appearance - Golden brown with a honey 's deepness to the color. The head is white and pours an inch and half but fades quickly away. Carbonation is evident by the consistent bubbles rising from the bottom.

Smell - There's a certain graininess to the scent. More than you'd find with most macros. The aroma indicates there will be something to this lager.

Taste - The taste is firm and obvious. There is malt and grain here. Very little hops if any, and no bitterness in the aftertaste. However, to enjoy a Point takes a special individual willing to be patient. Most who try Point Special need some time to adjust to it's full flavor.

Mouthfeel - Goes down smooth to the experienced Point taster. Those who've experienced Point know the following morning may tell a different story. Usually from the backend.

~ This is my 'recreational" beer of choice. When I'm hangin' with friends, watchin' a ballgame at the sports bar, out on the boat, or dining with the wife I usually enjoy a Point Special.

Point ^ Well Made

While lagers are not my favorite style this is a really good lager.

First sip was hard, not acceptable. After a few moments, the hops showed up and then the flavor. Perhaps I was being too judgemental at first. The hops were formitable and seemd too roasted. I accepted that and then savored the sweetness that followed. The second can was easier, maybe becuse we were fishing in the northwoods of Wisconsin. Enjoyed the rest of the five cases that endured the fising trip that week. The beer had a faint hint of saltiness that promoted the flavor of our catches. Musky and panfish were delicious as well at the introduction to Point Special. Wish I couold get it here in Indiana.

3.97/5  rDev +28.9%

At the request of an in-law I picked up a 12 pack in Chicago and took it down to Cincinnati for the holidays, What better time for a review. Beer poured a light golden color with head that was very delicate and disappeared a little quickly, the aroma was not very strong and had little to differentiate it from mass brewed beers.
Surprisingly the taste was light and a little sweet yet it wasn't at all watery. It had body and considering the 12 pack was in a fridge with 7 other competitors and was the first one gone means the 5 men hanging out in the garage found it very drinkable. I know the request has already been placed for more.

3.95/5  rDev +28.2%

I am a lager fan my self this is a classic lager. the color is right and the taste is very well with peanuts. I like that you can have more than one and still not be full. this beer is one of the top for lagers for me with its clarity and texture. I request this to anyone.

3.91/5  rDev +26.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Point Special from Stevens Point Brewery