Point Belgian White | Stevens Point Brewery

Stevens Point Brewery
Wisconsin, United States
pointbeer.com

Style: Witbier

Point Belgian White is a smooth refreshing and distinctive beer brewed in the tradition of Belgian Style White Ales. Our recipe boasts the finest barley and wheat malts, white wheat, rolled oats, and Noble Hallertau and Saaz hops - naturally flavored with a hint of Curacao orange peel and coriander. The result is a light-bodied beer renowned for its signature golden-white haze. Try it with an orange slice.

Added by Gehrig on 02-10-2008

1.5/5  rDev -55.1%

1.5/5  rDev -55.1%

1.8/5  rDev -46.1%

My first ever beer review. I started sampling craft beers a few months ago, have tried about 8 or 9. Been a regular beer drinker for almost 40 years, Bud, etc. Okay, I tried another Belgian White a month ago, Blue Moon's version. I thought it was marginally okay, the orange citrus smell and taste was better than nothing. Just finished my first Point Belgian White and found it almost literally tasteless, even worse than the Blue Moon. Seriously, Budweiser has more flavor than this crap. But I could smell a hint of citrus/orange, and that's not saying much. Maybe I'm just now a Belgian White kinda guy. Also, no date or ABV on bottle, not good marketing imo.

This beer pours a clear pale straw color. The head is one inch in height, and recedes quickly into sparse lacing. This beer looks absolutely nothing like a Belgian Witbier. The aroma is of overpowering cardamom. This taste is like the aroma, but not quite so overpowering. The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium bodied with a watery texture. This again is nothing like a Belgian Witbier. Overall, this beer seems like it is trying to be a wiitbier, but trying just isn't enough. I will not be drinking this beer again.

2.03/5  rDev -39.2%

A: This beer poured light and cloudy with about an inch and a half of very fluffy head which dissipated fairly quickly. It had ok lacing throughout but nothing really that noteworthy.

S: The smell was of wheat and citrus. I enjoyed the citrus note but not really much here.

T: Huge disappointment. After the citrus smell I was expecting some sort of taste to accompany it, but it just tasted watery. I just started looking on the bottle for where I missed that i bought a light beer.

M: Very light mouth feel. The beer was not very carbonated which just added to the sensation of wateryness.

D: Although I could drink this beer all day, i definitely wouldnt want to.

Half way through i seriously considered pouring out the rest of my glass, but decided against it. I have the rest of a six pack left, and am not looking forward to it. May try to pawn it off on some friends.

2.05/5  rDev -38.6%

I'm probably doing an unnecessary step in pouring this into an elegant Duvel tulip but I guess I can try to get as much as I can out of this beer.

Pours a light golden white wine color with a soapy looking white head that rises to the brim. Leaves decent lacing.

Smell is rampant with orange peel, though there are hints of spice and yeast twang.

The taste is phenomenally underwhelming, it tastes like light beer. This literally tastes like carbonated mineral water with a pinch of sour orange.

The mouthfeel is average and the drinkability low. This is an "elegant" chugging beer. At 6.50 a 6 pack it isn't worth it as an "elegant" chugger.

2.1/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Yikes! This beer taste like your average home brewers first attempt at brewing. Looks like a golden swamp of mess. Tones of bananas with a strong yeast tone. Taste like it smells thought maybe the citrus acid of an orange would calm it down a bit but it turned it in to a nice breakfast shake. I do not care to much for this beer. If you like a beer that taste like a yeast infection then this is the one you want.

2.19/5  rDev -34.4%

The first white biere i've had.

A: The crystal clear color that it has sort of surprised me, when they say white beer they don't lie. After pouring it it turned an average piss color with a lasting head that eventually turns into a white ring arround your glass.

S: I could smell the wheat and the smell had little hop presence.

T: Nothing special nothing bad. I just don't like the way it tastes sadly. I can taste the wheat. The taste is also very spicy and sort of hoppy.

M: A really bad mouthfeel, far too bubbly to get anything above a 1.5.

D: Rough, and leaves an aftertaste. But it's not quite that bad.

Bottom Line: A quite below average white beer i'm sorry to say. I would reccomend this to a white beer fan but no one else.

2.23/5  rDev -33.2%

very faint coloration on initial pour with heavy carbonation. head didnt last and had a sour scent with wheat hints. mouthfeel was similar to an alka seltzer due to the carbonation and not enjoyable. Perhaps that biased my view of the taste but not one I enjoyed.

2.25/5  rDev -32.6%

2.28/5  rDev -31.7%

2.3/5  rDev -31.1%

A- Poured a hazy yellow, small head, decent lace retention.

S- Nothing surprising. Detected the fruit (orange) and spice (coriander) used in the brewing process. Light hint of a soapy alcohol scent, if that makes any sense.

T- I really felt that this fell short of my expectations of a "Belgian White." Not a lot of flavor.

M- Pretty bubbly. A bit over-carbonated.

D- Not on my list to try again.

2.44/5  rDev -26.9%

Tastes like there is syrupy artificial peach stuff in here, blech.

Point Belgian White from Stevens Point Brewery