Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale | Stevens Point Brewery

Added by beerwolf77 on 09-01-2009

Liked:
4.14/5
Alströms:

Pumpkin dark orange pour with white head that clears quickly and recedes to the edges.

The aroma is the same as opening a can of pumpkin spiced filling. Pumpkin flesh with mace, clove, cinnamon, allspice, vanilla, brown sugar, nutmeg--am I missing anybody--it' all there. I can only imagine the graham cracker crust.

The taste is the same as the smell. Caramel malts, hops and biscuit balancing this out well. Not too sweet and not one ingredient outdoes the other but works well like a World Series baseball team. Grandma blended this concoction well and baked to perfection. Nothing obtrusive about this. Love just sipping this.

Mouthfeel is creamier than all in class I've had thus far. Lush, full, rounded and chewy. Juz 'nuff carbonation to sparkle this craft.

I really wanted to give this all fives but the only thing this Whole Hog is missing is the Cool Whip. Now if they can master that for next year--one can only imagine. Thanks Grandma!!

**Update Sep 22--Just had a homemade pumpkin pie from my wife and had this Whole Hog and tastes were matched. This now goes a 5 for me.

This is the Pumpkin Beer drinkers dream! With this beer there is no need oak barrels, insane 10+% alcohol content, or over the top spices. (Not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that) I am not what you would call a "Big Beer Drinker" per say, But I am a HUGE Pumpkin Beer drinker and have sampled well over 100 different pumpkin beers and this is the beer that I have been looking for. I still continue to try a and find any and all pumpkin beers that are out there, but Whole Hog is there beer that I will have a case or two on hand. I am not going to tell you about the hops, malts, or spices, but what I will tell you is the Stevens Point Brewery got it right with Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale. With a strong pumpkin pie smell and taste this is the Pumpkin Beer for 2015.

You can really taste the pumpkin and spice in this one! Had one off of draft. Little to no head. Minor fizzy (I don't like too fizzy anyway). Orangish brown color. But the biggest thing I look for is the taste. This one has a lot of that!

Bought this on a whim while at my local beer store. Wasn't getting my hopes up too high, as I am quite picky about my pumpkin beers. I do not like a lot of spice overpowering everything. Several other pumpkin ales have almost nauseated me, and consequentially became instant drain cleaner. I really have to say that this is THE BEST pumpkin ale I have ever had. And I've had quite a few. I liked this even more than Southern Tier Pumking, Shipyard Smashed Pumpkin, and several others. I liked this so much I was inspired to write this, my first full review. I'm not going to break down the taste, mouthfeel, etc., just want to note that I found this to be the best pumpkin ale I've had to date. I am going out to my local homebrew store soon to get ingredients to try and clone this. Way to go Whole Hog!!

one of the best pumpkin ales I have had

Whole Hog Pumpkin Ale from Stevens Point Brewery