Whole Hog Russian Imperial Stout | Stevens Point Brewery

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

3.92/5  rDev +13%

3.54/5  rDev +2%

Had the choice of a four pack of this... or a small bottle of Chimay Premiere... almost the exact same price and I felt like a stout. Wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised.

Pours a thin black brown with ruby shades in the light. Not dense... but wasn't expecting oil for the price either.

Smells pretty good, the smell is what I enjoy most. Really nice burning autumn leaf smell, charred wood maybe. A little sweet molasses sugar cookie. Some burnt coffee entwined. Has almost a Baltic porter scent to it. And I like Baltic Porters. Has that odd astringent smell. Maybe a tad boozy, but pretty coated by the char smell.

Pretty upfront sweetness. Sweet coffee and molasses... both with that charred taste to it. Kind of off tasting. Swings into roast malt with a bit of hop bitterness and a alcohol sort of taste that lingers... kind of like when you sip a little vodka and sit for a bit... kind of has that taste. The more I think of it and taste more, I do catch on to a lot more vodka like characteristics throughout this beer. The sweetness, the twang Baltic porter thing going on, and the finish. Which I guess is suiting... Russian, right?

Mouthfeel is kind of thick, kind of sticky on the end, and kind of... I don't know... rubbery. It's slick. I guess I like my RIS's a little thicker and more chewy. But for the below $7.00 price mark, how can I complain much about the mouthfeel?

I'm pretty happy with this purchase and will keep this in mind for later days when I am a bit low on cash but want something higher in ABV and a good stout for the price. Also when I am feeling like a Baltic porter... opts for both a little! That's cool! Overall, the one thing I can say is that this is overly complex. But that's alright. I think this may be a bit more committed to maybe what was once the original English style. I would say that I would buy this over Sam Smith's.

Good thing I shot down that Chimay...

Whole Hog Russian Imperial Stout from Stevens Point Brewery