Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

High Noon Honey Wheat | Slab City Brewing Company

2.21/5
Poor

Slab City Brewing Company
Wisconsin, United States
slabcitybeer.com

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Availability: Summer

Added by Winter on 08-14-2005

Reviews by Winter:
3.23/5  rDev +46.2%

Appears a murky, muddy, brownish amber in color with hardly any head. Aroma of bananas and wheat malt. Medium-bodied mouthfeel. Taste is very fruity for a wheat beer. Flavors of passion fruit, citrus (orange or tangerine) and banana. Wheat malt with a slight touch of vanilla. Finishes sweet and just a hint on the dry side.

1.81/5  rDev -18.1%

Picked up a single of this "Weiss Ale" at Riley's here in Madison for $1.89.

Pours a darkish golden yellow, slightly hazed with a few little chunks of yeast and a short white head that doesn't last long.

Nose caught be quite off guard with a blast of super-sour vinegar, Flander's red territory. Maybe some fruit but that too is crazy sour.

BLECH! I was hoping the nose was a mistake, but the taste reaffirms that this is, indeed some sort of lambic/APWA hybrid, or this batch went horribly wrong. Not quite as bad as a gueuze, but damn close. Funky barnyard/bile/vomit/vinegar is all I can descern. I've found some sour in wheat ales before but this has to be some sort of infection.

Mouthfeel is light I guess but the funky sour character dominates as it puckers my entire body.

The marking on the bottom of the bottle is "008 B1 09:30" so I don't exactly know if that can identify the batch. I imagine this is a summer seasonal, so age shouldn't be an issue unless I'm getting last season's stock or something. I've never been wowed by this brewery but I wasn't expecting a drain-pour from an APWA either. Disappointing cuz I am in need of a refresher in this 90+ degree heat. On to greener pastures I guess.

1.58/5  rDev -28.5%

12oz single, purchased god knows when from Riley's, burning a whole in the fridge due to the horrid things i have heard...figured i might as well sample it

appearance: small pour into great tast of the midwest taster with the intention of dumping the majority...body is a clear watery golden-orange color...no head/retention/lacing to speak of

smell: funky, sour, light vinegar...not good

taste: umm, offensive to say the least. this is no american pale wheat...funky sour lambic traits, not worth drinking more than a few sips but at least its finally out of the fridge. i'll give it a 1.5 for that

mouthfeel: sour, tart, repulsive

drinkability: n/a