Mr. Mephisto's Imperial Stout

Reviews: 80 | Ratings: 138 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by redleg411:

3.5/5  rDev -9.1%

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Served in a Alesmith Horny Devil snifter.

A- Pours a dark brown, near black with a 1 finger cream head. Nice ring of lacing with small blotches underneath remain.

S- Roasted malts, dark fruits mainly plum/raisin, and some chocolate.

T- Roasted malts but has a nice sweetness with the dark fruits coming through. Bitter chocolate at finish.

M- Medium body and carbonation. Has nice creaminess and abv is hidden very well.

O- Good imperial stout, but definitely not in the elite category by any means.

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter.
9% ABV, 353 12 julian date.

A - Clarity is visible around the edges of the beer but this dark, dark brown brew is more of a sinister black color. A thick head isn't present for long, dissipating into a loose ring of bubbles while spotting the snifter with dots of lace.

S - Subtle dark chocolate notes drape gently over raisin and fig notes, slowly opening up with warmth to a fuller malt aroma of increasing depth; milk chocolate, caramel cube, singed bread, and smooth dark roasted coffee. Undertones of earthiness emerge suggesting a balancing hop profile but impart no real definitive aroma.

T - Rich chocolate aromas turn to strong roasted malt notes of bitter chocolate, burnt honey biscuit, and cold black coffee. Fruit undertones escape the roasted malt flavor and add a complimentary dark, gently sweetness of raisin and black cherry while hops remain more of a balancing attribute of the beer, staying out of the flavor.

M - Mr. Mephisto is a smooth-starting imperial stout despite the high level of roasted flavor it's got going on. Round and medium-full bodied with a smooth entry, it finishes dry and slightly gritty with a slightly rough-around-the-edges bitterness and subtle alcohol warmth.

O - Mr. Mephisto's Imperial Stout is a surprisingly easy drinking imperial stout for it's somewhat higher alcohol level; alcohol doesn't really even play a role in this malty, roasted barley beast. It starts smooth and chocolaty and turns to a grittier coffee-rich stout with dark fruit undertones for a passive-aggressive dense brew.

3.13/5  rDev -18.7%

A beer that Ive never heard of sent over from FrankenBrew.

A- Poured out, the head makes a loud fizzing noise like that of a coca cola. It fades away almost as fast. The beer is typical RIS black and solid.

S- faint coffee and chocolate as it warms. Smoke, charcoal and ash. Some alcohol.

T- Sorta weak. Slight coffee and chocolate. Smoke, malty and dark fruity sweetness.

M- Mildly carbonated. Not the fullest body but average for the style.

3.86/5  rDev +0.3%

A: Poured into American pint glass, standard pub glass. Had a terrific head that is leaving lacing down my cup. Still a quarter inch of head as the beer is half gone. NICE. Deep deep ruby, but not quite black, as it does leave some room for light penetration. A bit much in the carbonation, but helps with drinkability.

S: It smells like stout, light coffee and candy fragrance. Not overly aromatic. Can smell esters and alcohol a bit. No surprise.

T: Dark tasting, with a lot of dried dark fruit notes, chocolate and mild coffee. Has a little syrupy taste to it, kinda goes with the mouth feel. The hop bitterness is about perfect, and there is a nice little oomph from late addition hops. Appropriate for the style. May or may not improve with age. It would smooth out a bit more, but lose some of the hops. The brew is like, 80-85% smooth. Is somewhat young tasting; untamed quality.

M: Is on the lighter. thinner side of imperial stouts. Yet, when it's colder, noticeable syrup effect with the carbonation. As it warms the effect isn't all that noticeable. I always drink a beer like this warmer, rather than cooler.

D: I could totally crack open another one. At first, when it was cold, I was like "whoa, this is kinda thick, dunno if I can handle two." Now, as my pint is 3/4 gone, it is warmer and I feel that I could advance to another beer. Excellent buzz as this is 9%.

Overall, this is an okay beer. The first imperial stout I've seen from LL. It's not the best imperial stout I've had. LL could use some work on this one, but it's not too shabby.

2.57/5  rDev -33.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Blue Point snifter.

A: A vigorous pour yields a .5 finger coarse, chocolate head the receds quickly into nothing. Beer looks opaque black but is also noticeably carbonated. Lacing is near non-existent. There's a couple of wisps but nothing else.

S: Coffee, roasted malts, chocolate, a hint of vanilla or cream. Smells kinda like burnt brownies mixed with liquorice.

T: Noticeably sour in the opening and I fear this one might've gone bad. Even a bit spicy, chocolate is there but the coffee is missing for the most part. No dark fruit flavors to mention and it finishes with a weird, slightly sour hoppiness.

M: Medium bodied and a bit carbonated for the style. Coarse and this one doesn't do a lot transition. Body stays the same as it warms. Not smooth in the least with a finish that is surprisingly watery and hoppy, not sticky though it does linger a bit.

D: I can see what the brewers were going for with this one but it just doesn't do it for me. I've had hoppy RISs before (Darkness) and this one just doesn't quite pull it off right. The thick, full, oily body is also not there, nor is the dark fruit that I've come to love with this style. It's an appreciated attempt, but I'll pass on this one next time.

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Delirium snifter on 8/25/12

Very dark brown color; nearly black once in the glass. The head pours just under one finger but doesn't hold up - retention is pretty much a soapy skim across the top. No lace.

The aroma has a tangy coffee roast with hints of dark fruit and grains. This doesn't smell particularly strong or complex. Overall, the aroma is on the struggling side of average.

Thankfully, the taste is a step up, albeit a small one. The dark fruits and coffee are diminished in favor or roasted dark grains and chocolate. Actually, the taste improves significantly once the beer starts to warm up. Very simple, but not bad at all.

The feel has an enjoyable granular quality, which helps the otherwise medium body. Carbonation is well on the low side. All in all, the feel is fairly plush without being particularly viscous.

Overall impression? This is pretty decent. Some folks think that an imperial stout that won't floor you in 10 ounces is a bad thing. I happen to be a-ok with that.

3.31/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a snifter

Pours our very dark brown, once in the glass it is black with no hints of light coming through.
Good finger of a deep tan head.

Smell is sweet chocolate, dark fruits come through more then any other impy stout I have smelled, slight roast.

Taste is very unique, I will say that. Like a bitter bakers chocolate covered cherry... which leads to a bitter roast, finishes oddly bitter and dry.

Mouthfeel is standard Imperial stout, silky and smooth

I really do not know what to think here, do I like it? I do not know, some sips yes... others no...

I am glad I got a single, or am I, we will see? I will let this one warm and see how it changes!

3.71/5  rDev -3.6%

appearance - dark brown with little head.

smell - all i pick up is hops. not a very aromatic beer.

taste - hops, but a sweet hoppy flavor. very good. great balance of sweet and bitter.

mouth - medium thickness. carbonation present, but not overdone.

overall - a dangerously drinkable high ABV beer. Hops are predominant, but not overpowering and no lingering bitterness or dry feeling.

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

3.85/5  rDev 0%

4.25/5  rDev +10.4%

3.81/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

I think this is my favorite Russian Imperial Stout. I remember liking it last year but having it again 12 months later, I can safely say that even when I compare it to other RIS I have had in the last year, this one was the best.

The appearance in the glass was not as good as I had hoped. It looked a little thin. Also, in the intitial sip, I got a little bit of a watery feel. After that though, it was all great. A few Russian Imperial Stouts I have had lately haven't had the strong dark fruit, licorice taste that I like as it is obscured by other flavors. It was up front and center in this one. Also, the alcohol was just enough to give me a little buzz by the time I got done with one bottle. One other thing that would make this beer better for me (and it is nit picking really) is if it was slightly higher in alcohol but it is still pretty damn good.

EDIT: The longer I am at this beer collecting thing, the more I realize that beers I once thought were great...aren't so much anymore...I cracked a bottle of the 2012 vintage of this beer and it was way more roasty than I remembered. So much so that the nice dark fruit and licorice flavors were muted. I then sampled a bottle of 2011 and although the roastiness had died down to let the other flavors shine through a little bit, there was a slight sour taste that I have found unfortunately develops in aged Lake Louie beers. I do still really like this beer but since it wasn't as good fresh as I remembered and it didn't age well, I have to downgrade it a bit.

Mr. Mephisto's Imperial Stout from Lake Louie Brewery Company