Lake Louie Warped Speed Scotch Ale | Lake Louie Brewery Company

3.5/5  rDev -12.7%

4.25/5  rDev +6%

3.96/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz. bottle served into a cup in the hotel

Pours a ruddy, caramely brown color. Style appropriate. Around a finger or more of head the color of the crema on a cup of coffee.

The aroma is nearly entirely butterscotch. I worry about diacety because of it. If you search hard then you will get breadcrusts and ghosts of raisins. But that butterscotch is too heavy; makes this beer mostly one-note.

No diacety-bomb, thankfully. In fact, it's one of the best tasting scotch ales I've ever had. Bready, rich malt flavors abound. The butterscotch is a supporting flavor, not the show-stealer. There's a bit of a hop flavor, which I never expect in the style, but it works in the sense of a slight, minty balancing. Some dark fruits on the midpalate before yielding to more bread. Really good stuff for the style.

The beer is medium-bodied, I suppose. I never really noticed the mouthfeel (which is oftentimes a good sign). Overall, this is a darn good example of the style. I don't love this style, to be honest, but I can certainly appreciate this beer.

4.01/5  rDev 0%

Reviewed from notes.

Dark clotted blood color, foam collar for a head, medium body with light carbonation levels, smells of sweet malts (mostly caramel), dark fruits and also that hint of peat smoke that I wasn't able to find in the Louie's Reserve. Taste includes all these elements and some strong earthy hopping on top of a bowl of grape nuts cereal. Body is medium thick and slightly undercarbonated. It really does come across as a smaller Louie's Reserve, but with the inclusion of peatiness.

3.86/5  rDev -3.7%

I loved the Louie's Reserve Scotch Ale so I had been meaning to try the "light version" so to speak. Lately I had been reading that not only was Warped Speed a great beer but the abv was a lot higher than I thought it would be. I know it isn't officially posted but I saw one thread that someone heard from the brewmaster himself that it was in the 7.3 range. A potentially great tasting 7.3 abv beer at $7.99 for a six pack? Sign me up!

Appearance-I forgot how dark and copper-looking a scotch ale is. Excellent.

Smell- Bread, malty, fruity.

Taste-Initially I got bread and malts with a lot less sweetness than the Louie's Reserve version. I saw someone else in their review mention a sourness. I would agree. Almost a sour kind of fruit taste. I noticed different tastes in the initial taste and then the aftertaste which made it fun to drink.

Mouthfeel-some carbonation. A little stickiness.

Overall-Very, very good. Right on par with the Brewer's reserve version of this beer and an excellent bargain for $7.99 a six pack. Maybe one of the best beers for your buck.

Lake Louie Warped Speed Scotch Ale from Lake Louie Brewery Company