Lake Louie Warped Speed Scotch Ale | Lake Louie Brewery Company

lakelouie.com

Style: Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy

Added by Bighuge on 07-24-2002

4.07/5  rDev +1.2%

I had my eye on this one since it first came out in 2002, but only now did I find a way to purchase one. A good Scotch Ale can be a fine drink in a cool autumn afternoon.
Heavy malt character with a fairly prevalent yeast aroma too. Not very sweet. Some caramelization (that does have a diacetyl quality). Earthy aroma goes as warms.
Nice tan head and very attractive copper color. Good looking beer. Some lacing.
Not as big as I expected, but tasty nonetheless. Nice semi-rich flavors. Has a nutty quality interwoven with some not sweet caramel. Good drying on the finish and the flavor linger nicely. The alcohol intermingles with the early tones nicely. Not high on the sweetness either.
Moderate body and even with a fairly big head the carbonation is fortunately tame.
For style this is kind of a subtle beer. It doesn't' knock me over with intensity of flavor, rather is requires some searching and effort. . But it is worth it.

3.93/5  rDev -2.2%

I really like Lake Louie beers, but this one is a little different than the rest. Most of their brand is smooth and refreshing. This beer seems a little bit over the top with taste. Don't get me wrong...This is a good beer, but I have had plenty of scotch ales over the years and this one is in the middle of the pack for me. Maybe it was just an off night for me on this one. I like my strong beers, but this scotch ale seemed a little to much taste up front. I was expecting a little more on the back end of the tongue and throat, rather than on the tip of my tongue. All in all, I would get the beer again, but not my first choice for Scotch Ales.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

4.93/5  rDev +22.6%

This is my go to beer. Whenever I have been standing staring at the selection at local beer selectorium for too long trying to decide what I would like to take home, I inevitably grab the Warped Speed Scotch Ale. This beer has everything I look for in a beer anytime of year. Fans of IPA's may find it a bit heavy in the summer, but for me it's balance of sweet and bitter is perfect.

3.77/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured out a clear burgundy color with a small, off-white head. It smelled very grassy, mossy and earthy. Some caramel/toffee, too. It tasted very sweet and malty. A nice subtle earthy quality and some spiciness.

Lake Louie Warped Speed Scotch Ale from Lake Louie Brewery Company