Louie's Reserve Scotch Ale | Lake Louie Brewery Company

Availability: Fall

Released annually in August

Added by cokes on 05-14-2003

4.7/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.5/5  rDev +9.5%

3.85/5  rDev -6.3%

Dark reddish brown color with one finger of head that slowly settled to a thin cap. Moderate amount of spotty lacing is left on the glass.

Aroma is full of caramel, toffee malt. Some peat and smoke sneak in as well. Alcohol is well hidden.

Flavor has some depth and charactor. It better with the ABV this beer is packing. Full of caramel and brown sugar flavors. It has earthy and grassy hints. Not as sweet as feared as some bitterness comes in at the finish. Alcohol does not play much of a role in the flavor. Just a little warming. A little smokiness would of been welcomed in the flavor but I missed it here.

Not quite full bodied. Smooth and rich bodied. Carbonation well suited to the beer.

An enjoyable, large, sipping beer. Does not live up to expectations however. I wonder what would happen if they barrel-aged this beer?

3.94/5  rDev -4.1%

The Wee Heavy poured into my snifter displays a deep amber/light brown color with a moderate off-white head that very quickly diminished to barely a skim. The aroma is moderately malty, earthy, slightly smoky caramel malt, hints of booze and a bit of butterscotch. The flavor is big nutty, earthy caramel malt, a bit buttery. Medium hop bitterness and a bit of alcohol dry out and balance the sweet malt nicely. The body is medium-full and carbonation moderate. Overall a well-made, dangerously masked Wee Heavy, nice, very niiice!

Pours a translucent chocolate amber with a 1 finger head which dissipates quickly. Sweetness pours off the head of the beer, candy like, with a hint of booze. Chocolate, rich caramel, yeasty, some fig but much less estery than the warped speed. Big malt caramel, chocolate, toffee, candied sugar, pecans, nice sweetness with a balanced and mild bitterness. Finish is balanced, creamy, chewy and grainy malt, velvety finish, smooth and wonderfully rich all around, good stuff here. Excellent!

4.04/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This was my first try at a Scotch Ale and I found that I really liked it. I also have noticed a trend in that my most recent reviews on this site have all been some pretty high scores for the beers I have been reviewing. That is probably due to the fact that I love this time of year as the so-so summer brews give way to the hearty Oktoberfests which give way to the delicious dark beers of winter. Louie's Reserve released in August seems like a perfect beer to set aside for a cold winter night but I liked it plenty at the beginning of October.

The color was a dark, copper shade and it instantly looked like a hearty brew to me. The smell and mouthfeel were nothing special to me as it smelled and felt like a typical malty beer. The taste won me over though. I have seen that many people refer to a vanilla, bready flavor and although I got a little bit of that maybe, what I noticed most was a sweetness combined with a bitter, hoppy kick that really gave this beer a zip. The alcohol was noticeable as well as after two of them, I was definitely feeling it.

I am not really familiar with the Scotch Ale genre but my first foray into it left me really liking what I tasted and this reminded me of a good Oktoberfest but with a sweet and hoppy kick.

EDIT-After drinking a few Scotch Ales this winter, I noticed that many of them have a little sourness to them. This one did not initially but I cracked a bottle in March that I have had since August and I tasted the familiar Scotch Ale sourness that was absent the first time I had this. Is it possible that only aging for 7 months could have done that?

3.58/5  rDev -12.9%

A- A dark ruby pour with a medium, almost white head. Very sticky lacing on the side of the glass. A good looking beer.

S-Strong scents of rich malt and a touch of vanilla. Little to no hop aroma. No problem.

T- Very smooth and delicious. Tastes like a buttery sweet vanilla biscuit drizzled in maple syrup. A little boozy too. A true scotch ale at heart but much bigger than what i'm used to. Is this barrel aged??

M-Sticky with little carbonation. I really enjoy the mouthfeel on this one.

O- A solid beer to keep an eye out for during the fall. To be honest, i feel like it used to have even more flavor when they were making it in smaller batches (they used to release like 1/4 as many cases as they do now). I still enjoy the rich malty flavor and its a great beer to lay down until late winter.

3.83/5  rDev -6.8%

A-Pours a hazy, deep brownish copper color with ample creamy, off-white head that leaves some lacing on the glass and fades to just a thin layer of foam that sticks around.
S-Malty, sweet aromas of caramel and the slightest hints of vanilla and chocolate and biscuit.
T-Flavors of biscuit/bread, malty with a hint of caramel, slight smoke or toasted malt favor, lots of alcohol. Slight tea flavor.
M-Strong boozy feel. Lots of malt stickiness. Very good carbonation. Fairly sweet and very full bodied.
Overall, one of my favorite scotch ales. I think this would actually be a better beer if the alcohol were lower. I think the high alcohol takes away from some of the subtle flavors or caramel and chocolate. I look forward to this seasonal every year.

3.67/5  rDev -10.7%

12oz bottle to goblet.

Pours a cloudy apple cider-like color, sparse off-white ring of foam. Not much lacing. Smells like caramel malt and some red fruit (mix of candied cherry and strawberry), brown sugar, hop earthiness, slight alcohol. Taste is mostly caramel malt, alcohol, along with something that makes it taste like a macro lager. Like a dry lager yeast or something; reminds me of MGD. I am confused now. Medium body and low carbonation. Overall, this is a pretty good scotch ale, nice and somewhat unique smell, but taste leaves a little to be desired.

3.7/5  rDev -10%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. It pours a nice ruby/amber color. A 1/4 inch light tan head slowly reduces to a minimal lacing. Carbonation is visible.

The aroma has that scotch caramel malt sweetness with an interesting sourness and perhaps a bit of earthy/moss tones.

The taste again has that malty sweetness combined with an odd sourness. Definitely some alcohol and just a bit of hops present. In some ways, I feel like this is a beer that is heading towards the bad side, but that I'm catching it a bit beforehand, which allows it to be somewhat palatable and interesting.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a balancing level of carbonation. A velvet texture lingers and the quick bite quickly resides to a smoothness.

Overall, as noted, this beer seems like it might be starting to skunk. However, I have had it absolutely fresh too and it is solid. Not amazing, but solid in the fundamentals.

1.91/5  rDev -53.5%

Poured into a snifter.

3.0 A: Opaque deep amber brown color. I could only muster about a 1/4 inch of beige head, which quickly fell.

2.0 S: This smells pretty damn weird. Unfortunately, disgusting vegetal aromas hit first and they hit hard. After that there's some peat and caramel. The cooked vegetable component is so strong that it blocks out most of the other aromas.

1.5 T: Taste is off as well. Tart smokiness, caramel, sherry, veggies, and brown sugar.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Not bad here.

1.5 D: I'm pretty sure I got a bad bottle. If I didn't, then I don't understand the other reviews. This tastes like a noob's homebrew.

3.23/5  rDev -21.4%

12oz bottle poured into my Darkness glass...Pours a deep and shiny mahogany, very nice. The head is light tan, only lasts for about a minute and leaves a very thin film behind. Light lacing. Actually pretty carbonated, just give it a swirl and watch it go...The aroma starts off with scotch mostly, a little rye, and peat creep in, semi malty. Ok, nothing special yet...Not a fan of the taste at all. Cheap scotch, burns, a little smoke on the finish. Mostly skunk and grain alcohol...The feel is really light, borderline water.

Not a huge scotch fan to begin with, but these does nothing to help change my mind, nor is it a good representation of the stye. Pass for me.

4.19/5  rDev +1.9%

A: Brown with a touch of red, translucent, very pretty.

S: Light on any nose, what I could smell was a bit malty, but otherwise the entire scent was nearly non-existent.

T: Fantastic! Powerful, full malt with slight yet perfectly blended hops.

M: A bit dry, but what's to be expected of a scotch ale.

D: It tastes so good, it'd be hard to have only one. Though dry, you could put a few of these down.

Overall: I loved this beer! I was a bit turned off by the smell, but as soon as I had a swig, I was totally impressed. The flavor has the distinct taste of malt and maybe some cocoa as well. The hops, though light, are blended perfectly. I'm not sure if this beer is sold anywhere but southwestern Wisconsin, but if you find yourself in Arena, WI, stop at any liquor store and pick some of this up. You'll be happy you did!

4.13/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance- Pours a deep amber that nearly blocks all light coming through. Dark beige head billows up to nearly 3 fingers and makes for a pretty delightful brew to look at!

Aroma- Floral esters, light caramel, moderate herbal hops, juicy malt, and a hint of alcohol gives this brew a bit of a vinous character. Aroma makes my mouth water a bit...

Flavor- Big malty sweetness up front with notes of caramel and some tasty balancing herbal hop bitterness. Finishes surprisingly well balanced and with a wealth of malt complexity- caramel, soft burnt sugar, a touch of roast,

Mouthfeel- Slightly viscous, almost chewy, with some warming alcohol in the finish. Lingering malt bomb, though nice balancing hop bitterness. Full bodied, especially with the warming alcohol, though I keep coming back for another sip...

Overall- Quite nice for a Scotch Ale. Big beer but great balance and loads of complexity. Fun to drink but dangerous. Would be nice with some caramelized onion smothered, pan seared pork tenderloin. Already wish I would have bought more than one bottle...

3.9/5  rDev -5.1%

12 oz Bottle

A: Dark amber in color. Medium carbonation, thin less than a finger head which clings to the glass.

S: Sweet roasted malt, dried fruit, dark brown sugar, light spice towards the end.

T: Dark malt in the start, followed by candied pecans, and sherry, not cloying, very enjoyable.

M: Slight sweetness, with a clean crisp finish.

D: Very drinkable, I would enjoy a few of these with a rich stewed game meal.

4.35/5  rDev +5.8%

Big shout out to Purplecloud for bringing this back from deer camp.

A: great, deep copper color, very nice head
S: alcohol, great roasted malt, nice sweet true-to-type
T: great beer, roasted malt, alcohol, nice hop balance, a bit much for alcohol but very, very good
M: thick but velvety mouthfeel
D: very good for a higher scotch ale

3.73/5  rDev -9.2%

12oz bottle - Pretty sure it's a 2010 vintage - Poured into a pint glass...

Pours a dark reddish brown, mahogany colored with very nice clarity. One finger of light tan head forms, leaves some lacing behind...

Sweet dark fruits and tons of caramel malt fill the nose. Bready and a bit smokey. Alcohol is noticeable...

Not as sweet as expected, still sweet, but noticeably less so than the regular "Warped Speed" scotch ale. Caramel and a bit of dark fruit. Smokey and a bit bitter in the finish wiping away most of the sweet, which is fine with me. Alcohol starts to show up after a few sips...

Medium to full bodied with low carbonation. Slick and smooth with a slight lingering bitterness and alcohol heat...

Picked up a sixer of this one at Steve's in Madison - for some reason I never see Lake Louie in Milwaukee. Served in a Leinenkugel's pint glass.

A - Pours with a finger of foam that settles to a thin cap, leaving behind splotchy lace. Transparent cherry brown color.

S - Just to be clear - this isn't barrel aged. It's just a higher-gravity version of Warped Speed. Fruity tropical vibe to the malt, along with some caramel, treacle, and cotton candy alongside some yeasty bread notes. Didn't realize this was 9% - it's very well hidden.

T - Again, heavy on caramel and bready malt, with a hefty dose of lightly roasted malts and burnt sugars. Perhaps a faint hint of smoke in there as well.

M - Active carbonation keeps it from getting heavy or cloying. Sticky medium body, and a touch of warmth that builds as time goes on.

D - This is an above-average Scotch Ale that doesn't have any major flaws, but doesn't really blow my mind either (although it's not one of my favorite styles, so I'm curious what it would take to do so). It's not very heavy in peat or smoke but otherwise it's quite true to style. Definitely recommended if you're into this type of brew.

3.97/5  rDev -3.4%

Huge thanks to wisconsinality for hooking me up with a bottle of this hard to find brew.

Poured from a bottle into my standard pint glass.

A: Dark brown crimson red hue. Just a tiny hint of light beige head. Tiny soapy lace ring.

S: Typical scotch ale nose. Lots of rich sweet dark fruit and caramel malt. A good dose of roast nuts. A tiny trace of booze can be picked up.

T: Swwet dark fruits, butter scotch, caramel, roast nuts. Slightly bitter finish.

M: medium body with very light carbonation.

D: Overall a decent Wee heavy. I'm not sure what sets it apart from all the others in the style category though.

4.4/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks to cmswoboda for this one. Been looking forward to trying this one for a while now.

12oz bottle poured into SA perfect pint.

A- Pours a very deep brown, similar to chocolate and very minimal head. No lacing left around the glass. Reminds me of coca cola. In the light it looks a dark ruby red.

S- A big malt bill right up front and a light sweetness from said malt. No real hops to speak of. Upon warming up a little the scotch really starts to come out. I pick up a little bit of dark fruits and a slight amount of black licorice.

T- Big amounts of malt and caramel dominate right away but give way to some black licorice. The scotch flavor really isn't apparent but there are subtle hints of it. More dark fruits come out. This is a complex brew and the flavors just keep coming. The alcohol is completely hidden...in the taste.

M- Medium bodied with nice bubbly carbonation. Pretty smooth going down but warms the back of the throat and in the belly much like normal scotch.

D- With the great complexity of flavors in this one and the alcohol never apparent in taste, this is a dangerously good beer. Every sip I take, it keeps getting better. Now all LL has to do is distribute more to the Milwaukee area.

Louie's Reserve Scotch Ale from Lake Louie Brewery Company