Louie's Reserve Scotch Ale | Lake Louie Brewery Company

Availability: Fall

Released annually in August

Added by cokes on 05-14-2003

4.1

Pours an amber color with almost no head and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass. The aroma has a lot of sweetness and some caramel - and graham cracker, as kmpitz2 said. The nose didn't really do it for me. The flavor actually got better as it warmed - I really didn't like this beer at all when it was really cold, but it got better as it got warmer. The flavor has a lot of sweetness, caramel, and some burned malt. Finish is somewhat oily. The drinkability is pretty good for the alcohol and the mouthfeel is moderate.

Picked up a sixer of this one at Steve's in Madison - for some reason I never see Lake Louie in Milwaukee. Served in a Leinenkugel's pint glass.

A - Pours with a finger of foam that settles to a thin cap, leaving behind splotchy lace. Transparent cherry brown color.

S - Just to be clear - this isn't barrel aged. It's just a higher-gravity version of Warped Speed. Fruity tropical vibe to the malt, along with some caramel, treacle, and cotton candy alongside some yeasty bread notes. Didn't realize this was 9% - it's very well hidden.

T - Again, heavy on caramel and bready malt, with a hefty dose of lightly roasted malts and burnt sugars. Perhaps a faint hint of smoke in there as well.

M - Active carbonation keeps it from getting heavy or cloying. Sticky medium body, and a touch of warmth that builds as time goes on.

D - This is an above-average Scotch Ale that doesn't have any major flaws, but doesn't really blow my mind either (although it's not one of my favorite styles, so I'm curious what it would take to do so). It's not very heavy in peat or smoke but otherwise it's quite true to style. Definitely recommended if you're into this type of brew.

4.01/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.01/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a dark amber-brown with little head. Very little aromatics to give a sense of the beer. The mouthfeel is thicker than Warped Speed with much more intense dark flavors, leather and earth. This is a very good beer pushing to the edge of the Scotch ale spectrum, being a bit heavy to have more than one. It would have outstanding potential to be aged on oak.

4.02/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Quarter-inch light tan head, deep hazy reddish brown color, decent carbonation, some lacing not a lot

S: Caramel, malts, vanilla, some chocolate at end

T: Malty sweetness, some bitterness in the middle, balanced in the finish

M: Decent carbonation, medium bodied, fairly smooth

O: Good Scotch Ale, will seek out and try again

4.04/5  rDev -1.5%

4.04/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This was my first try at a Scotch Ale and I found that I really liked it. I also have noticed a trend in that my most recent reviews on this site have all been some pretty high scores for the beers I have been reviewing. That is probably due to the fact that I love this time of year as the so-so summer brews give way to the hearty Oktoberfests which give way to the delicious dark beers of winter. Louie's Reserve released in August seems like a perfect beer to set aside for a cold winter night but I liked it plenty at the beginning of October.

The color was a dark, copper shade and it instantly looked like a hearty brew to me. The smell and mouthfeel were nothing special to me as it smelled and felt like a typical malty beer. The taste won me over though. I have seen that many people refer to a vanilla, bready flavor and although I got a little bit of that maybe, what I noticed most was a sweetness combined with a bitter, hoppy kick that really gave this beer a zip. The alcohol was noticeable as well as after two of them, I was definitely feeling it.

I am not really familiar with the Scotch Ale genre but my first foray into it left me really liking what I tasted and this reminded me of a good Oktoberfest but with a sweet and hoppy kick.

EDIT-After drinking a few Scotch Ales this winter, I noticed that many of them have a little sourness to them. This one did not initially but I cracked a bottle in March that I have had since August and I tasted the familiar Scotch Ale sourness that was absent the first time I had this. Is it possible that only aging for 7 months could have done that?

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Thanks too nflmvp for a couple bottles of this beauty.

Pours muddy water brown, ruby hues throughout. Seme transparent. A small white head with thin lace sticks around for the show.

Big sweet toffee malt aromas with a sharp fruit esscence. Fresh fig and dried fig, as well as hints of raisin. A hint of black raspberry as well.

Very good and extremely drinkable. A toffee flavored milk shake. Not overly complex with depth but still much going on. Hints of bitter hop on the finish just too add length it seems. Semi sweet chocolate, again a variety of dried fig, raisin, blackberry, and a slight bit of almond on the finish.

Medium leaning toward thin mouthfeel.

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Pours a dark amber to brown color. Grows a half inch thick, light brown colored head, that is quite dense and creamy. It sticks around for a while, leaving quite a bit of lace.

The aroma is intensely malty. You can tell it's gonna be a thick, chewy beer. Burnt sugar and caramel notes, some booziness and dark fruit esters. Not smokiness is evident, which I find to be great! I hate peat malt in my Scotch Ales.

The flavor is quite complex, just full of English malt richness. Definitely a lot of kettle caramelization going on here. Toffees and burnt sugar character upfront with some dark fruit esters coming in mid swallow and towards the finish. The finish is nicely balanced, somewhat boozy, but not hot and somehow it keeps from being overly sweet. Once again...no smoke. Excellent!

Heavy body, medium carbonation. Good complexity and great flavors. One of my favorites from a great brewery. Look forward to it every year.

4.07/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours dark mahogany and ruby colors with rather dense but sedate off-white head.
Aroma notes of burnt brown sugar, a hint of vanilla as well as caramel and chocolate notes. Some whiffs of peaty, smoky malts are alos detected as it warms.
Flavors noted include caramel and chocolate upfront followed by a hint of dark citrus and a twitch of apple wood smoking.
Mouthfeel is lighter than expected with a vicous hard alcohol base sort of cutting off too many flavors on the finish.
Drinkability is solid, the regular Warped Speed is more stylistic accurate IMO but this is a complex and enjoyable beer with just a bit too much alcholic threads.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Thanks goes out to Faro for this brew.

Poured into a chalice a grapey color, nice carbonation, nice small creamy tan head, leaves some sticky lacing. The nose is malty, slightly oaky, cherries, figs, raisins, and some caramel. The taste is malty/oaky, nice presents of dark fruit, some tanginess, nice touch of caramel. The finish is dry. Medium body, a complex brew. Very drinkable, I/you could drink a few of these before you know it, easily.

Louie's Reserve Scotch Ale from Lake Louie Brewery Company