Lump Of Coal | Ridgeway Brewing

Style: Foreign / Export Stout

Added by ybnorml on 11-25-2004

Reviews: 355 | Ratings: 591
1.65/5  rDev -52.2%

Served in an imperial pint glass at almost cellar temperature. No freshness date.

Appearance- The bottle proclaims, "this beer is as dark as it gets"... not true. Not even a little bit. Ruby at best, and quite thin. On a rough pour, we struggle to get a creamy, one finger head that settles to a decent film. Lacing is sparse, and also creamy.

Smell- Very English... I get a hazelnut aroma beneath the sweet stout character. Some roasted malt is present, but a bready note lingers in the nose and leaves its mark.

Taste- Oh God... what have we here... this has turned horribly wrong. Sour, pungent, and undrinkable. Batteries left for years in an old flashlight, and then placed directly in the mouth. Gahhh! I thought that stouts are built to withstand a few months of refrigeration... this goes down the sink now.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- I am daring myself to go further... nope, ain't gonna happen. The harsh, acidic attack in the mouth leaves no place for texture. I am trying, but this beer needs serious help! Goodbye, Lump of Coal... I certainly did not deserve this punishment this winter.

3.42/5  rDev -0.9%

(Served in an imperial pint glass)

A- This beer has a deep black opaque body that looks like it has a slight hint of brown. The head is a big mat of soapy bubbles on top of a thin film of creamy light tan foam.

S- The smell of roasted malt and black malt has a dark coffee bean note to them. Nice and earthy in the roasted qualities with a hint of coffee with cream as it warms, but no note of hops.

T- This beer starts of with a dark black roasted malt flavor that is nice and dry. It is quickly followed by a sharp sour/tart note at the finish. The tart note is really big and bright with a hint of cherries so I don't think it is an off-flavor as it warms it give more of a cider flavor. The finish has a coffee bean flavor that is soft and dry.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a hint of astringency that makes my jaws tighten up a bit.

D- This had some nice roasted dark malt aromas but it sour/ tart cidery taste is really dominating the finish. I'm not sure if because this is a holiday brew that this is on purpose or if this is a bad bottle. It doesn't have notes of oxidation or any other signs of infection such as over carbonation or mold floaters.

2.11/5  rDev -38.8%

The beer was poured from the bottle into a pub glass.

Appearance: The beer poured black with a ruby opaqueness to light. There was a thin head after a hard pour. The head quickly resolved. No lacing noted on the glass.

Smell: The smell was of a cheap overly roasted burnt coffee consistency. There is an overly roasted malt smell about the beer with puffs of chocolate.

Taste: The beer predominately has an astringent taste. The coffee taste is of cheap road stop coffee that has burnt all night long in a unwashed coffee pot. There is a bit of chocolate peaking out. Really this taste like it was filtered through a lump of coal.

Mouthfeel: The beer is light bodied. There is a unpleasant oilyness to the beer.

Drinkability: This beer was dam near a drain pour. I dont know if I drank it to late and it expired. To many other good stouts out there to waste time or money on this.

3.53/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very dark garnet with a coarsely bubbled tan head that compacts quickly to a fine creamy head and then shinks to a thin wafer of nougat that leaves sheets of sticky tan lace on the glass...nice.

Aroma is faintly sweet malts some chocolate a touch of coffee.

Taste is typical. Sweet malts up front a dryish middle and then bitter charcoal and french roast coffee at the tail.

Hmmmm...overall not too shabby this one. I like it. There is some definite butteryness in there... is this the diacetyl that one attributes to Ringwood Yeast? Overwhelmingly coffee and hardwood charcoal dominate the middle along with bitteresweet chocolate...and some alcohol. I was bad, very bad...Santa bring it on.

Mouthfeel is slightly on the thin side considering the gravity of this brew. How did we get to 8% ABV and still keep it so thin...adjuncts?

Overall this is a very drinkable brew. I will buy again.

2.85/5  rDev -17.4%

500 ml bottle pours a reddish black color with a small brown head that quickly disappears that does leave some lacing in my glass. Chocolate aromas, cola, chocolate and coffee flavors, not much carbonation gives this a watery mouthfeel, alcohol aftertaste. Not a very flavorful stout.

2.98/5  rDev -13.6%

Well I've read the rave (read shitty) reviews of this one but the clever Christmas time name plus my desire to try a couple of new beers tonight before the season premiere of The Shield tempted me to go for it. Either way I'm going in for this one the way I do every new beer I try, with an open mind.

1 pt. .9 fl oz bottle poured into a Samuel Smith nonic pint glass.

A - Pours as black as the ngiht with a one+ finger off white head. Not a bad look at all. The head thins out to a capper buit sticks around rather nicelay and laces the glass well. Has the look of a Guinness poured well from a nitro tap. Not a bad look at all.

S - Has a sweet smell with a bit of a roasted malt character. Nothing to rave about but nothing too bad. The smell of a decent dry stout.

T - Well the roasted character disappers altogether and it leaves a pretty bland taste. This beer really does falter a lot here. Some yeasty taste actually but really nothing coming to the forefront. Basically like black water. I;m again thinking of draft Guinness, the kind you get in a bar that has Bud Coors Miller and Guinness, so you order Guinness just to get something with a flavor. Not impressed.

M - Very thin and watery, Not a rich flavor like a stout should have.

D - Well, my guinness comparisons hold true here. Not bad but basically a watery beer with no real distinguishable characteristics other than maybe "it's dark" by someone who knows nothing about beer. Nothing very interesting to keep you coming back, but drinkable in the sense that it's not offensive.

Well they can't all be homeruns. Probably good for a guy who drinks Guinness at bars but doesn't have much experience with craft beers.

2.69/5  rDev -22%

Black in hue, dark brown/reddish around the edges, the liquid is typical of a stout. Beige head, at the apex the foam was one finger tall but it quickly faded to a thin, soapy cap. The subsequent lacing was spotty but fairly prevalent. This beer looks pretty solid.

The nose smells of freezer burn and licorice. No roast. No char. Nothing that says, “I’m a stout!” I’m very disappointed with the nose. Blah… not inviting at all; there is nothing pleasant here. I got to try a second bottle, both noses were lackluster. It must be the beer.

Stout? Yeah right. Try a black colored English Malt Liquor. I detect nothing more then light maltiness and licorice and freezer burn. Oh, there is some dark fruits in the back and some candy but there isn’t much roasted qualities… no coffee, no char, nothing. It is a bit sweet, too sweet for me. My second bottle was not any more favorable. I must say, at best this beer is okay but for a stout it is really lousy. The strongest aspect of the palate is the finish; it is sweet and candy-like with a tickle of earthy hops. Then again, the aftertaste is too sweet and clunky. Win some, lose some… but when the score is added up, this beer is a loser.

Medium/medium-light in body, moderately low carbonation, the body is thin for the style and season. The mouthfeel is tolerable.

This is yet another dud Shelton Bros English import. Okay… this beer is drinkable but cost plus lack of taste equals not another purchase. The label talks the talk but the beer doesn’t walk the walk. On the whole this beer tastes alright but too many aspects leave me saying, “ho hum.” My first bottle was given to me as a gift, thanks Howard & Lynne. The second bottle was sampled at a party. I am happy I didn’t have to buy this one! Heed my review and skip this beer.

3.92/5  rDev +13.6%

Pours a very dark brown, certainly not opaque. Smell is quite fruity, black cherry, molasses...it actually smells very much like a nice dopplebock. Odd, but perhaps not bad. Upfront on the palate is a quick stab of roast then mild chocolate and a large fruitiness that then backs away as earthiness evolves through the finish. Not overly complex, but a good flavor, albeit insipid and a bit watery for an 8% stout. Medium low carbonation, and extremely drinkable if nothing else. Not even a hint of the 8% here.

1.64/5  rDev -52.5%

I guess I was naughty last year. There was something very wrong with this beer. It was totally sour and gross. Maybe that was the point, or some infection was the culprit. The beer was black, but the head was more like a white haze on the top. There was next to no smell, and the flavor was like sour milk. I guess there was nothing wrong with the mouthfeel, exept being thin for the style. Oh well. DNF.

3.09/5  rDev -10.4%

Oh no, an aggressive pour only produced a quick-dying large bubble head - a bad start. Nice black brew with some decent chocolate malts in the aroma.

The taste? Well, mighty weak in the malts, poor for the style, with a noticeable hoppy finish. Couple hints of charcoal & burnt toast - but just hints The whole bottle was thin and watery, and the harshness lasted throughout. I suppose one could say this was drinkable, but the price (over $5) for a 500ml bottle would keep me away for any serious session work. Just not much character to be found.

2.83/5  rDev -18%

Pours black alright but the disturbing thing about this sample and seemingly a few other BA's is the vinous sourness that suggests to me lactobacillus infection. The beer was much too sour for the style and all the roasty notes were covered up with the sourness. Tasted like an ok watery stout that somehow picked up an infection.

3.08/5  rDev -10.7%

Another interestingly named christmas brew.

Appearance: pours a clear black color with a 1/2" tan colored head. A spot or two of lace stuck to the glass.

Smell: the aroma is very faint, as some coffee and bitter chocolate are tough to pick up.

Taste: the flavor was of roasted malts, molasses, weak coffee, and bitter chocolate. But overall this was wimpy and weak for the tastebuds.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp and somewhat smooth. Aftertaste is short on the roasted malts and molasses. Very light in body for a stout.

Drinkability: very average at best. I like a winter brew to warm me up during the cold months, but this was a stout that would work well in the summer heat since it is so light.

2.2/5  rDev -36.2%

Pours black with a thin bubbly tan head. Aroma consists of cocoa, chocolate, roasted malt. It's a tad vinous with a whiff of alcohol. Disappointingly thin mouthfeel. Thin raisin and roasted malt front. Flavor turns a little sour and bitter in the middle. Feint hints of cocoa follow. Weak, bitter vinous finish.

This is a lame stout that's not very impressive at all. Save your $5.50 and spend it on something else.

1.29/5  rDev -62.6%

Pours out to a clear deep ruby...not black, and hardly even dark brown. Forms a small light tan head with poor retention and no lacing. The aroma is all English, which in short is "Yuck" in my book...tons of butter, butterscotch, caramel, toffee, rotting melon, and hops that smell of wet cardboard. No roasted grains, no coffee, no chocolate....nothing of what I would expect for a stout, let alone a "Dark Holiday Stout". Weakly carbonated. The mouthfeel is flimsy despite the 8.0% ABV...probably lots of sucrose in this one. The taste?....repugnant. Sour metals, like pennies soaked in vinegar mixed with vodka, rubbing alcohol, and sweetened cherry syrup.

I won't even waste my time with the rest of a review. Disgusting swill.

3.3/5  rDev -4.3%

Pours a dark brown color, with some ruby edges. Thick egg-white creamy head. Head disappeared quickly, leaving a very thin layer of foam. Soft roasty, and chocolate notes in the aroma. Floral hop aroma. Flavor starts off roasty, dry then vinous. At the back end, the flavor profile seems to fall off. Warming alcohol presence. Slight earthy hop flavor. Low carbonation. It started off fairly well, but really falls apart at the end. Disappointing.

3.31/5  rDev -4.1%

Pours a deep mahogany brown with a soapy tan head. Subdued roasty aromas with a slight earthiness. Very malty upfront with a light resiny, molasses-like finish with lingering spiciness. The English stout characteristics are pronounced, maybe stepped up a notch. Still, kind of watery, but not taking away from the whole experience. Not the greatest stout to come from across the pond, but certainly no sloucher. Pairs up nicely with it snowin' like a mofo outside right now.

3.91/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearance: Pour is a super dark black/purple color with a small milky foamed head around the rim. No light is passing through this one, thats for sure.

Smell: Very rich aroma. Malty and sweet overall with a fruity belgian sugar element as well.

Taste: This beer is very balanced; the smell mislead me to think it would be overly sweet, but in fact it is a very roasty, well crafted mix. There is still a sweet element in there, but is coupled with dark and roasted malts in a way that just seems to fit.

Mouthfeel: I generally prefer a stout to be a little thicker in body, but it seems heavy enough to carry a lot of flavor, so I suppose I can't fault it. It goes down very smoothly.

Drinkability: This is a good beer for savoring, mostly because of price. Otherwise, I could destroy a 6pk of it.

3.49/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours a dark dark brown, or a light black with lots of brown/ red showing thru a small brown head no real lace left. Sure doesn't look like a lump of coal.

Aroma is dark roasted malts lots of coffee aromas some minerial hints underneath light coco and piney hop aromas. Aroma is nice smells like a good stout.

Taste is lighter then I thought it would be for an 8% stout not bad just lighter. Some roasted malt flavors coffee dominating again noticing metalic like flavors which are actually not bad just interesting as they mingled with a herbal like hop flavor. Finish is lingering coffee bitterness mixed with hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium with nice mellow carbonation. As stated earlier it is lighter then a bigger stout should be.

Drinkability is well its good but for the price wouldn't purchase again as I could be drinking something better for the money.

3.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A very dark color,but the head was small and left wat too soon.The smell is very faint with only a hint of roasted malt.The taste is a little light,but you can taste both coffee and chocolate.The m/f is light/medium and not as balanced as I would like.This is a pretty good stout,but I would try a different one next time just because this is so expensive.

3.8/5  rDev +10.1%

Before imbibing, I must say, this label doesn't like me very much. "Much more than you deserve for XMas this year." Actually, well, I have been awfully naughty...I will take my lumps and hope I enjoy them....

Deep, dark appearance, nearly black, with ruby tinges at the sides, and bottom, with a very small, thin, disappearing head.

Aroma is sweetish, mild, lightly roasty....malty, but rather shy for such a boastful beer...

Taste: lightly roasty, bittersweet a bit, but...not quite so rich or thick as we'd like. Rather ordinary. It has a full body, yes, but we want something extra, and if it has it, it hides it. The 8% abv seems well-hidden, at first, though...

Cointinues brighter and fruitier, ...sweeter, syrup-ier....

not bad, but not great...and worth the $5.89 I paid for the 25 ounce bottle?...not?...

3.43/5  rDev -0.6%

In my glass is an opaque liquid with tints of ruby around the edges. Not much for head, what there was disappated quickly.
The nose is unmistakably English; musty, dusty, old books. Some rum and raisins swirling around in there as well.
My first sip I notice a creamy, vanilla finish. I think the hops were a little out of balance, but not critically. Warming alcohol with peppery, spicy notes. Like the aroma there is some rum-soaked raisins on the palate. For the most part, though, it seems one-dimensional. Not very complex at all. I think I expected more complexity from a holiday stout.
As far as mouthfeel goes, I like something with a heavier body for holiday beers. Carbonation is medium.
I wouldn't want to drink many of these at 8%. It's an "okay" end to the day. But I can think of other holiday beers that I'd pick over this one.

3.58/5  rDev +3.8%

Saw this at Bevmo in Orange and had to give it a try.

A - a dark brown on the port side filled my glass with a very little tannish head that faded rather quickly.
S - Some roasted grains and a little chocolate waft thru my nose. Somewhat subdued.
T - Coffee, prunes and roastiness come to mind with alcohol in the background. A little light on the taste.
M&Dr - A little light on the carbonation and somewhat of a light body, not what i was expecting. It was smooth and nicely balanced to be sure but i like my stouts to be more of a stout. I may have needed to let this warm up a bit to open the bouquet and taste.

3.05/5  rDev -11.6%

An almost black stout with ruby highlights. There is little to no head.
The aroma is mild, but has hints of chocolate and coffee.
The flavor starts out with a raisin tone then becomes slightly roasty with hints of chocolate near the finish. The alcohol is also slightly noticeable.
Light bodied for a stout and low on the carbonation as well.

This is an alright brew, but there are better ones out there for the money.

3.32/5  rDev -3.8%

what says "tis the season" more than a lump of sh.. coal ! yeah, that's it. Figured I would give this one a spin being the cynical type I am...

eyes...
pretty dark, not opaque, but close... small off white head fanning out to the rims of the glass, carbonation noticed but looks subdued, dog hair.. oops.. damn dog, anyway, a nice well rounded looking stout, better than average, nothing outstanding.

nose...
I spy alcohol, covered by chocolate dipped raisins, some roasted malt, a hair of cinnamon twinge, after the initial alky blast this mellows out to be more pleasant, some nice things going on here, in some wierd way it reminds me of Rochefort 10 but not as intense... good.

taste etc...
thin.. but very smooth and creamy (not uber creamy), way smoother than a lump of coal (couldnt resist), the alcohol isnt as apparent in the mouth but does warm the gullet, the dark fruits seem to take the lead here (mildly) with some roast (also mild) on the back end of the buds, the smell was more interesting than the actual brew unfortunately. the alcohol is masked well but this isnt thrilling all in all.

verdict?
I wont go out of my way to find this one again. It isnt terrible but there is much better stuff out there for the same/comparable price.

4.08/5  rDev +18.3%

Pours not quite a lump of coal dark but close with some nice ruby tint thru out with an off white head that is gone quite quickly.deeply roasted malt and dark fruit in the nose with a hint of milk chocolate,big robust flavors for a big stout tarry and fruity roasted of course with a light smoky flavor in the finish.Wow I really like theis holiday stout big and complex and quite quaffable to boot.

Lump Of Coal from Ridgeway Brewing