Imperial Red Ale

Notes:
View: Beers
JonnoWillsteed from England

3.58/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

L- A lovely chestnut red/brown, pours clear (it's filtered) with a thin and fleeting off-white cap that's a small patch a minute later.
S- Surprisingly wine like, in fact fortified wine; blind-folded I'd swear I was sniffing a glass of sherry!
T- Woah, deep, pungent... I (genuinely) do that reflexive head-shudder on the first sip - this is INTENSE! Well apart from that, in general it taste is more akin to wine than beer, hard to explain, try it/similar and you'll understand.
F- The alcohol is 'visible' enough that I can feel it's numb brush across my palate. I understand that's something considered rather blunt and unrefined for a quality brewery (consider which 'Super-strength' beers you respect...). That said that sense of ABV% here seems even greater than 10% and I believe the pungency/richness are adding to it's impact.
O- I wonder if there is anyone in the world who could or would wish to session this? It's deep, intense, pungent, all in quite a full-on experience. To me it's a prime example of an after-dinner slow-sippin' beer, ideal for in front of a winter log fire. I'm glad I tried it, it's not a style I'm too familar with. But I likely wouldn't buy it again as I have no need for beer I drink to be quite so notably high-impact.
Bought from BeersOfEurope/UK for home delivery £3.49/330ml bottle, BB: 'There is no recommended best before' [the lable states!] Lot: '1.249'

Jul 28, 2020
lcjohnny

4.67/5  rDev +13.1%

Look: Deep clear amber. Pours easily, giving a light head that dies away as a barley wine should.

Nose: a smooth slightly winey and lightly hopped nose.

Taste: WIney and light malty flavour smooth with good sweet mouth feel but not chewy.

Aftertaste: Consistent sweet, lightly malted winey beer.
Overall: Almost a belgian beer experience! Not as sharp as some English barley wInes (reminiscent of Eldridge Pope's Hardy;s Ale).

Feb 25, 2020