Widmer Hefeweizen | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Widmer HefeweizenWidmer Hefeweizen

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade

Added by Todd on 07-17-1999

Ratings: 2,115 |  Reviews: 803
2.05/5  rDev -36.9%

Appears: Cloudy unfiltered golden orange with thin white head, sorry no lacing to speak of here. Aroma: Bland dumbeddown some banana tones in the background not much more to say has ties with A-B it's not to much of anything. Taste: A weird finish to a bland representation of one of my favorite summer styles just disappointingly inept, no flavor just so light flat. Mouthfeel: No texture thin and watery needs more body and not enough carbonation. Drinkability: So middle of the road, wow I remember this beer being so much better in a bottle last summer while living in southern California, but after trying their Kolsch I definitely loose respect for them.

2.06/5  rDev -36.6%

I don't normally write reviews other than an overall number but I was so wildly disappointed in this beer that I felt it necessary. I bought a selection of Hefeweizen's from Trader Joe's that I had never had before as the weather has been quite nice and obviously they are usually a nice pair.

I don't know how Widmer Brothers can call this a hefeweizen. I can't call myself an expert but I am fairly familiar with hefeweizens, and this is nothing like any I have ever had, in a bad way. The only obvious flavors are wheat and yeast, and the yeastiness is incredibly dilute, much akin to Bud Light or something similarly shitty. I can't qualify the wheat flavor because it is too weak, which is odd considering the importance of wheat in a hefeweizen. MAYBE I can taste a tiny bit of apple but it is very much an afterthought, only notable after burping. I can maybe notice a slight spiciness if I sit here and focus completely on every sip. But the various citrus/fruit flavor, spiciness and wheat prominence one would expect is severely lacking. There is zero body to this beer.

I will finish it only because I paid for it. I would definitely hesitate to call it undrinkable as there isn't anything particularly offputting (just lacking in the first place), but it is DEFINITELY NOT WORTH DRINKING again, or for the first time. I have been drinking exclusively craft beer for about a year now (by that I really only mean I do not drink Bud-anything, Miller, PBR etc., I certainly will drink from larger breweries like New Belgium or Sierra Nevada), and this is definitely the most disappointing beer I have had during that time. I have had a few DIPA's that I could not finish because of the bitterness but at least they had other redeeming qualities. There are hundreds of other hefeweizens out there that are a thousand times better.

2.07/5  rDev -36.3%

pours out a cloudy light copper colour with a big egg shell white head. lotsa lace. a spicy, dusty aroma; no trademark hefe qualities in the nose. it loses in the taste department, too. there is a grainy flavour and a some hints of banana, but that's about it. some herbal notes are seen as i take a few more sips, but this isn't a true hefe and even as an "unfiltered wheat beer", it lacks. unfortunately, i believe this concoction needs a lemon slice to liven it up a bit. mouthfeel is a bit harsh on top of a medium body. drinkability suffers just because this really is not a good rendition of any type of wheat beer. i'll definitely drink the rest of my six pack, but i'll definitely not buy this again.

2.08/5  rDev -36%

Appearance is cloudy orange with no head whatsoever. Not a good sign. Smell is almost nonexistant. A little bit of banana and some citrus. Taste is more of the same. Very watery and not nearly carbonated enough, which took down the drinkability a few notches. Also needs some flavor. Luckily I didn't have to finish my pint as we were leaving the bar.

2.09/5  rDev -35.7%

This was a big disappointment. I am a fan of Hefeweizens, and I was hoping that this would actually be a decent American Hefe, something that I've never had before. This was also the first Hefe that I've ever had off tap. Its had a lot of hype in my area, and was as expensive as decent imported beers. I was excited... and then I got the glass. This beer looked like puke. It was an odd, orangish color, and very cloudy. The wierdest thing about this hefe was that it had NO HEAD! Now I know that it may have been the man who poured the beer's fault, but a hefe without a head is ridiculous. Its flavor was bland,not at all like a German hefe. It replaced the hefe flavor that it should of had with an alcohol taste. This beer was not worth $4.50. I say stay away from this unless you can get it for free. If you like hefes, stick with Weihenstphaner, Ayinger, Franziskaner, etc. They actually have a flavor, and you can buy a bottle for $3.

2.09/5  rDev -35.7%

2.12/5  rDev -34.8%

Purchased single bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = extremely cloudy with sediment everywhere. Absolutely not movement. A yellowish peach color. Not really impressive.

Smell = Pretty standard wheat beer smell.

Taste = Very bitter and bland. Give me bitter beer face. I don't think I'll get through the whole bottle. This is a terrible wheat beer. There's nothing redeeming going on here. It's course, harsh, and flavorless.

Overall = A terrible beer that I'd only serve to my enemies.

2.13/5  rDev -34.5%

Pours a very nice wheat yellow/tan. Very cloudy, small white head.

Smells like a typical wheat beer with a slightly sour orange citrus aroma.

Not as much flavor as I expected. Very muted. The slight orange flavor doesn't seem sweet at all. Has a thick beery, yeasty feel to it that doesn't add any taste. And it finishes with a light piney hop that fades into a short bitter aftertaste.

It seems heavy in the mouth. It's not a crisp swallow, and it's extremely carbonated.

2.14/5  rDev -34.2%

Had this at City Cafe in San Fransisco. Served on tap cold. in a hefeweizen glass.

A-Hazy wheat color and thin white head

S-Grainy and floral

T-corn chip and some yeast flavor

M-Light medium

D-not bad but far from distinctive. I would pass on this in the future.

2.14/5  rDev -34.2%

On tap at Ten Mile Station

Bollocks, I say. This ain't no hefeweizen. While hazy like one should be, and even with a deceivingly dense head with great retention and moderate lacing, the nose belies this beers emasculated nature. While banana and a little clove are present, the balance and character of this beer does not remotely resemble its forebearers. It's much like comparing a McDonald's burger to a real burger, just because beef, salt and maybe a little pepper are present, it doesn't mean this is particularly acceptable. Light and watery on the palate, this beer is rather disappointing. Yes, it has a little bread, some banana and a little clove, but this is not what I was looking for. As described, this is watery, and the finish is dry, a little fruity and rather disappointing. I don't have as developed palate for wine, but I had a lot more fun deconstructing the better than average pinot noir and cabernet sauvignon that were also served at the time. This beer, OTOH, was disappointing.

2.15/5  rDev -33.8%

This beer pours a light cloudy amber with no head and a touch of lacing. The smell is of mass produced lagers. The taste is not impressive @ all, I get nothing of a hefe yeast and is there even wheat in this beer? There is a mlat flavor but that is all, I always love the large banaa flavors from the yeast in hefe's and this one is totally lacking. The mouthfeel is ok and there seems to be no carbonation. Flavor makes the drinkablility of this beer tough.

2.16/5  rDev -33.5%

Cloudy yellow pour with a puffy white head. The, this beer careens down the hill into oncoming traffic. Aroma is wheaty and mild citrus. The taste is average, mostly wheat with some malt. Nothing special. If anything, this beer is the model for how bad the American Wheat Ale has become. A failure.

2.16/5  rDev -33.5%

I sampled this on-tap at the Strawberry Music Festival beer tent.

There's little in the nose, the colour is lacking, there's little body and a disappointingly bland flavour. My standard for the style is Hoegaarden, being the first wheat beer I sampled all those years ago in Nottingham. The Widmer comes nowhere near even close.

There's barely any malt either in the nose or the taste, neither was there any of the warm spicy citrus I've come to expect from the type. It's a thin brew in every respect, and in fact the only good thing I can say is that it was cold and wet. Not unpleasant, just bitterly disappointing.

No hops, little malt, and barely any nose. Sadly, I was not impressed.

(Some of this review is cross-posted on my blog.)

2.2/5  rDev -32.3%

This beer pours a hazy golden and when decanted aggressively it leaves a chunky modest head that fades with haste. It does leave some lace on the side of the glass marking each sip. The aroma is bready with hints of citrus. The same can be said for the taste with the additional notes of a weak malt backbone, which leaves this beer a bit unbalanced to the bitter side. No clove, slight banana. Fairly drinkable and forgettable.

2.2/5  rDev -32.3%

First Hef ever. Served with a lemon. Do not usually like that fruit in my beer. Poured dirty orange in color with hardly any head. The lemon smell was strong from over a foot away. The taste of the lemon overpowered the beer too. It had a very flat citric-acidic flavor. I do get hints of the wheat hiding behind the lemon. I am afraid that the lemon ruined this beer for me, so unfortunately my score reflects that.

2.21/5  rDev -32%

APP - Very cloudy, very light amber in color. A slight lace, that is soft while creamy. It poured cloudy, and stayed that way.

Smell- Light smells that are difficult to discern. Some light citrus, a little wheat. Pretty mich "light" describes the smells.

Taste- Again light is the buzz word. Many other brands have a more distinctive wheat flavor. There is a citrus flavor up front, then a bland wheat taste in the background. This is "safe' wheat at it's best.

Mouth- Easy on the palate. So perhaps it is good and easy going down. Maybe like the Budweiser of wheats. Not much but easy going down.

Drinkability- Very easy to drink lots of these. As I say the Budweiser of wheats. In fact thanks to Anheiser-Busch!

2.21/5  rDev -32%

Pretty bland, pretty boring, pretty unimpressive all around. An uninspired effort for the style. Not a terrible choice when all you have to choose from is Bud/Miller/Coors... but really really lame for the style.
Hazy orange color, not much at all in the way of odor or flavor... really quite watery all around.
Perhaps worth a taste if you are curious but that's about it. Perhaps a tiny baby step to get people to try other brews.
I did, however, appreciate much more the Brooklyn ale that was available.

2.21/5  rDev -32%

Purchased from Perry's liquor store in Athens, GA.

When I brought the six-pack home, I was so excited that I immediately cracked one open. I poured it into an appropriate wheat beer glass.

The appearance at first was fairly attractive, with a nice straw color and a cloudiness characteristic of an unfiltered wheat beer. The head left something to be desired, and as I drank, I discovered that the head did not retain nor leave lacing. Despite my attempts at awakening the head (indeed, I'd poured hard to start) the head refused to be more than a few tiny bubbles on the surface.

When I smelled the beer, I got a faint hint of wheat and some spices, butl I also smelled the same skunkiness one would get from a light adjunct American lager... It was below average at best.

The moment the beer touched my lips, I knew I was disappointed with the purchase. I tasted some wheat, sure. Unfortunately, the flavor seemed watered-down and the aforementioned skunkiness carried through to the taste.

Perhaps I've been spoiled with wonderful belgian wheats from our local pub. Maybe I think that Blue Moon or Sierra Nevada Wheat is a far superior alternative for nearly the same price. Perchance I am angry that my Hefeweizen tasted like Bud Light (or worse) mixed with Blue Moon minus most of the spice notes. I don't know, but this beer goes on the "never again" list.

What does it need? A stronger flavor profile would help. The watery taste is far too overwhelming. Some nice body with a decent head would help too. Increasing the thickness by a touch would not only improve mouthfeel, but also head retention. I suppose for the price it is alright, but as I mentioned before, there are more flavorful alternatives out there.

2.22/5  rDev -31.7%

Sixer, bottled on 9/20/06 so it's relatively fresh. I'm a bit shocked at some of the higher ratings because this is a piss poor hefe, even from my expectations coming from an American Brewer. Light aroma of dry wheat, no clove, banana, or citrus notes of any kind. The first bottle I poured gingerly down an angled glass because a hefe usually foams like mad if you're not cautious. This one however I soon learned I had to force straight down the middle "glugging" it if you will just to get a respectable head. Nice color, no lacing. I swirled the "yeast" like one should and was rewarded with floaties and chunks...no thanks. Crisp and somewhat refreshing, it's not creamy as it needs to be. Flavor is essentially malt and wheat, no more no less. This one should be ashamed to call itself a hefe, in fact it's not even a very good example of an American Wheat and that's hard to accomplish.

2.23/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy orange color with a faint white head and a little visible carbonation. The smell was off, it kinda smelt like burnt hair or sex panther cologne. The smell didn't match the flavor. The taste was solid, not very complex, a hint of wheat, and a hint of banana, but a little more corn and adjunct taste than I expected. The mouthfeel was moderately carbonated which I felt was off for a hef. The drinkability was slightly below average, there was an okay quality to the flavor but the smell and mouthfeel were off for the class. Maybe lightening up on the carbonation and doing a little with the smell would help.

2.25/5  rDev -30.8%

12 oz bottle poured into a Sprecher weizen glass. Bottled on 061009.

A - Hazed over pale yellow with a nice goldenrod hue where the beer has more volume. Uncharacteristically thin (still about 1.5 fingers) head with low retention but leaving some spots of lacing.

S - Crisp aroma of yeast and wheat with a touch of spiciness but lacking that good banana ester and overall warmth. Light grassy notes too.

T - Holy shit this has some serious astringency going on. Light, crisp. and near flavorless, it may be one of the worst hefes I've ever had. There are no hefe characteristics about it. Minor wheat and yeast with spice but all muted to near nothingness.

M - Dry, mouth-puckeringly bitter and acidy. Crisp and light bodied with good carbonation.

D - I don't think the beer has gone bad due to a) not being skunked and b) not being old. I was hoping for a good hefe instead I got a drain pour. Just totally unimpressed.

[Why is it called a Hefeweizen when its not a hefe?]

Widmer Hefeweizen from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company