Widmer Hefeweizen | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade

Added by Todd on 07-17-1999

View: Beers
Ratings: 2,134 |  Reviews: 805
2.15/5  rDev -35.2%

This beer pours a light cloudy amber with no head and a touch of lacing. The smell is of mass produced lagers. The taste is not impressive @ all, I get nothing of a hefe yeast and is there even wheat in this beer? There is a mlat flavor but that is all, I always love the large banaa flavors from the yeast in hefe's and this one is totally lacking. The mouthfeel is ok and there seems to be no carbonation. Flavor makes the drinkablility of this beer tough.

2.16/5  rDev -34.9%

Cloudy yellow pour with a puffy white head. The, this beer careens down the hill into oncoming traffic. Aroma is wheaty and mild citrus. The taste is average, mostly wheat with some malt. Nothing special. If anything, this beer is the model for how bad the American Wheat Ale has become. A failure.

2.22/5  rDev -33.1%

Sixer, bottled on 9/20/06 so it's relatively fresh. I'm a bit shocked at some of the higher ratings because this is a piss poor hefe, even from my expectations coming from an American Brewer. Light aroma of dry wheat, no clove, banana, or citrus notes of any kind. The first bottle I poured gingerly down an angled glass because a hefe usually foams like mad if you're not cautious. This one however I soon learned I had to force straight down the middle "glugging" it if you will just to get a respectable head. Nice color, no lacing. I swirled the "yeast" like one should and was rewarded with floaties and chunks...no thanks. Crisp and somewhat refreshing, it's not creamy as it needs to be. Flavor is essentially malt and wheat, no more no less. This one should be ashamed to call itself a hefe, in fact it's not even a very good example of an American Wheat and that's hard to accomplish.

3.34/5  rDev +0.6%

One of the better hefes Iv'e had.

It pours a beautiful hazy golden color. A nice head that stays.

The aroma is fruity with a little funk.

The flavor is the same as above.

Smooth and silky. Very bubbly and fruity.

Pretty drinkable. I could have a few of these.

3.5/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance/Smell - Appears a hazy clouded apricot/orange. A half inch of head that holds magnificently, very good lacing.To hard to see carbonation. Smells of musty malt with wheat bread. Along with some sweet bubble gum aroma. Spicy floral citrus hop notes as well .As it warms a cooked vegetable aroma develops (Kind of weird)

Taste/Mouthfeel - Tastes of rich sweet honey wheat bread & malt. Followed by citrus notes that come in just before a floral hopy finish. Hop bitterness lingers a tad as well. Very balanced, very wheaty, maybe a touch of clove. Not much change as it warms. Mouthfeel is thick, chewy & full bodied, with medium carbonation.

Drinkability/Final thoughts - I would be able to enjoy about 2-3 of these. When I feel like a rich full bodied beer, this is one style that i turn to. I love the lingering hops in this version, its very good. One thing I thought was strange, was the vegetable aroma that develops as it warms. Its not offensive, just strange & out of place for the style.

Its still very good though, I recommend you give it a try. Cheers!

2.69/5  rDev -19%

A - Good color, left some lacing, unfortunately the best part of this one.

S - Not much there, very malty smell with not much else.

T - There isn't much taste. Taste almost like a malty american light beer with yeast.

M - Watery except for the slight character given by the yeast.

D - I could drink a few of these.

Not really bad, just nothing good about it. Needs some spice or something to give this beer flavor because there is very little there. If I'm gonna pay a premium price for beer I want to taste it.

3.72/5  rDev +12%

Part of a mixed 12pack sample thing with their IPA, amber, and seasonal.

I think this is their most popular brew, probably the best known as well. Seems kinda odd to have a BA C+ average, being kind of a flagship and all.

Amber orange with a good haziness. Soapy looking froth.

Gritty grain aroma. Yeasty wheat lemon pledge sweetness.

The hefe spice is fairly uniquel, and definitly tasty, but overall it's just prettyt bland. The spice seems tacked on. Some nutty malt and a bit of lemon in there too. Decent drinkabiltiy, but gets a bit skuzzy when it warms.

3.88/5  rDev +16.9%

Wow this one was impressive for the price, it seemed to be a good beer for what I was getting. I really was impressed by this beer. Don't I seem to have done a review on this beer before but my profile says I did not. So Overall this is a good inexpensive line of beers, a good substitute for people wanting the bud beers or miller beers.

2.5/5  rDev -24.7%

It looked ok at the pour, but I was a little concerned when I didn't smell much.

The taste was just like nothing at all. Appropriate mouthfeel for the wheat style. After thinking about the taste for 2-1/2 beers I just settled on "dust". It definately avoids any sour german hefe-w flavors, but there's nothing left.

Mine was brewed in NH ot OR. I'm in Chicago, so I guess as freshness goes I'm in the worst spot for this one. Right in between their 2 breweries.

3.34/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into the Widmer weizen glass that came free with the six-pack. Cloudy orange-yellow with a big 2.5 finger head and tons of lace.

Smell is mostly orange peel with an weird metallic aroma. Taste is some orange and lemon, again with that nasty metallic taste. Pretty bland, and not hefeweizen-like at all. No phenols. No creaminess.

Mouthfeel is very smooth, and this would make a fine beer for consuming in large quantities, but it's really just middle-of-the-road.

2.98/5  rDev -10.2%

Basically not enjoying being a law student, so I decided to review a beer (and screw around on BA awhile) to cheer me up.

Appearance - Like a glass of apple cider, with about as much head.

Smell - A weak maltiness with the barest hint of citrus.

Taste - Cool refreshing water up front. Finally followed by a mellow malt with that citrus again. A little sweet, then the malt.

Mouthfeel - Not as much body as the aforementioned cider, but not terrible either.

Drinkability - I mean, I could drink several. There's not even enough to offend.

I don't even dislike this beer. It's just I have almost no opinion. It's kind of there, and when I feel like having a bev, and it's handy, I'm happy enough to have one.

3.4/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured this yellowish orange beer into a pint glass. It appeared with a lingering slight lacing. The aromas of wheat great the nose with a touch of lemon zing. The taste is that of cloves and with an aftertaste of lemon. Overall a good hefeweizen to drink on a warm day.

3.18/5  rDev -4.2%

Yellow-orange color, hazed, with a whitish tan head. Spotty lacing, although the head that sticks around is just a thin collar.

Soapy, wan bouquet of light malt flavor with very little yeast notes. The flavor is similarly weak, with some input from Cascade hops, keeping the bitterness a little bit above the sweetness.

Medium thin body, not much substance in general. Not impressed.

2.91/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance - Cloudy almost milky orange yellow color with a creamy white head.

Aroma - Wheaty, not much I can detect.

Mouthfeel - Medium body with fizzy carbonation.

Taste - Light lemon with a little clove in the finish.

Overall - Not bad, but not great. A little boring.

3.83/5  rDev +15.4%

A - Golden bronze body that's a little hazy with a taut white head that leaves some thin lacing. Light to steady carbonation.

S - Honey malts with wheat on top of a bed of citrus.

T - A little bit of maltiness touches through the citrusy wheat flavors.

M - Thin, light body that is pleasant: none of the pale wheat aftertaste and no burning citrus either.

D - Pretty good ale that I'd add to my list of impressive wheats.

2.73/5  rDev -17.8%

Hazy golden pour with a tidy white head. Clean grainy aroma with a touch of citrus. I'm not quite sure how this can call itself a hefeweizen - it obviously still has the yeast, but it has very little of the qualities I would look for. No banana, no clove, very limited citrus profile. Taste is fairly clean drying grain, and very little else. Body is about par for a hefe, and the carbonation is medium.

This seems to be a fairly simple, non-complex brew, and I could appreciate it for its crispness in the summer, but it really doesn't hold a candle to the other hefeweizens on the market.

Thanks to Shadman for this brew.

3.42/5  rDev +3%

Pseudo hazy light golden color with a thin head, even with a vigorous pour. Foam does leave a decent film throughout though.

Smell is mostly of citrusy wheat, some lemony notes as well. A pleasant hint of sourness. Overall, a pretty faint nose.

Taste is somewhere in between an American wheat and a hefeweizen. Not enough citrusy and yeasty flavors for a true hefe. Wheat is there in abundance.

I have been a bit disappointed in most of Widmers offerings, but this one is somewhat enjoyable - just a simple, refreshing summertime quencher that doesn't try to do too much.

A - I was really excited about this beer after purchasing a hefe glass to drink it in and I had previously heard good things. The pour was very nice its really cloudy and has a large orange top that fades to yellow at the bottom of the glass. Minimal head that disappears quicker than I blow it.

S - Strong honey scent with orange and actually a little malty. Smells and looks yummy at this point.

T - A sheet Houston we've got a problem. It tastes like Bud Light. Actually it tastes like Budweiser ya know the "heavy stuff" I wanted a freakin' wheat beer and what happened to the honey and orange. Quality Assurance missed this bottle apparently.

M - Well it least it quenches my thirst, but it really needs an orange or lemon to give it some sort of appeal to my tongue.

D - Sure...on a summer afternoon after I get off work and want to sit in the sun. But no on a fall day in Minnesota. This is actually like the Corona of hefe. Crap by itself, but give it a training wheel and suddenly it blossoms.

3.2/5  rDev -3.6%

My second pour at the Prudential Center Newark NJ for the Devils/Islanders game. I was quite happy to see a west coast craft brewry on tap, and a heffeweizen to boot! I've had Widmer in the past when in Seattle for the tulip festival and didn't remember much so this was a good time to give it another go.

A: The fine lass, a Bronx woman I might add, poured a foggy dark orange into a quality plastic stadium pint cup with the foggyness around the edges. Bigboy dark creamy rich two finger head falling quickly thereafter to a small cap. Impressive sticky legs turning to crescnts as it reached the cap. A good start as compared to the see through versions you mostly get from American brewers.

S: As this is a Porland brew, (I've done my homework on the ingredients as well as knowing a chef in the city that has had this on tap for years) the multiple malts mixture had me intrigued. Pre-expectations can be the killer I reckon because I didn't smell any of what I would consider to be basic tenants of a Heffe, such as yeast, banana and cloves. Mostly pale malts and spices was what I got after multiple nose dives.

T: I was positive the woman served me the wrong beer after my first quaf. A few more gingerly sipps and I looked over to my friend and asked him if this was an IPA or a wheat. The classification does not lie with Pale and Ale with Wheat in the middle to confuse. Your pallet gets smashed with classic west coast hop bomb with just about each drink. Now mind you, there are minor accents of cloves and spices but almost as an afterthought or simply to comply with the style ingredients. Too much malt, with four of them, you could argue this was nearing a Quad but easily an American Wheat Ale more than anything else. To reiterate, there are copious amounts of malts (Cascade) and even more hops in this brew, which is not bad to set the record straight, just too much and more bitterness than I would prefer.

M: Nedium mouthfeel with a powerful carbonation level and retention, but works well due to the over abundance of malts. ABV level is not overpowering and a good brew for a hot day in the yard or a day long festival.

D: The Widmer brothers can lay claim to one of the oldest American Wheats around, and heffe I reckon. Again, this is a malt/hop influenced Heffe and another good example of the West coast amalgam of styles and ingredients. An enjoyable drink and one I would recommend to IPA gents not fond of Heffe's due to banana/yeast flavors (which this one lacks for the most part)

3.33/5  rDev +0.3%

A friend gave me a 12 oz. bottle of this. Decanted into a pint glass. It's very cloudy and looks like a honeycomb. Thin white head, okay retention.

Smells like honey and bananas. A little yeasty. A touch of sweet hops.

Tastes aren't as bold as I would like them. A little bit of the honey, some breadiness. The flavors kinda disappear in the middle, then return with a brief hoppy bitterness, then vanish altogether.

Mouthfeel is good - a little watery, but not bad.

I'm curious why this grouped on BA as an American Wheat, when the label says hefeweizen. But this is a pretty drinkable beer, nothing special, but not at all bad - worth checking out at least once.

2.78/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This looked okay, it was a pale hazy golden color. It was drier and a bit more bitter than I'm used to. There weren't really any banana notes to be found here at all. Not a very good example of the style in my opinion. This seemed tame and a little thin.

3.33/5  rDev +0.3%

Received a light orange pint with a decent off-white head and some lacing. Fished out the lemon the bar-keep dropped in. She didn't look like a beer drinker anyway.

Scents of sweet wheat, some sweet fruit and a little faint spice.

Odd mix of sweet grain, fruitiness, and raw grain here. You get that yeasty edge too, but this is a bit of a jumbled mix.

Lightly carbonated with a bit of a sour finish.

Not the best representation of the style or, well, just good craft brewing. Some unevenness that will keep me from going back. No horrific at all, but not doing it for me either. Just OK.

4.28/5  rDev +28.9%

Nice cloudy beer with about a finger width of head, served with a lemon wedge. Really heavy on the wheat almost a chewable beer. Not much of a citrus kick and no sweetness.

One of the more flavorful Hefeweizens that I've had in a while. It's a slow drink but enjoyable. Definitely a drink to have while consuming hot wings.

3.25/5  rDev -2.1%

One of my offerings to the monthly poker game.

Pours an orange juice gold. Agressive pour yields a big bubbled head that tries to last, but can't hang that long.

Semi-pleasant, light fragrance of citrus, oranges.

Taste of citrus, orange peel. Fair flavor.

Feel is better than expected, ligth carbonation. Completely drinkable.

Had on tap a few times and will continue to do so in establishments without a generous beer list if you know what I'm saying. Since it actually has some flavor, it makes a good go-to beer.

Overall: not bad

A: Pours a hazy, unfiltered orange color with a generous, two-finger head that quickly fades to lacing. Plenty of suspended sediment floating at bottom of glass.

S: Light citrus, spicy hops and yeast.

T: Opens with a subtle citrus flavor with hints of lemon zest. Moves into biscuit and yeast with notes of light wheat, grain, and spiced hops. Finishes dry and slightly bitter.

M: Crisp and refreshing. Light to medium-bodied and moderately carbonated.

D: Easy drinking, yet bland and somewhat middle-of-the-road in character.

Widmer Hefeweizen from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company