Widmer Hefeweizen | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Widmer HefeweizenWidmer Hefeweizen

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade

Added by Todd on 07-17-1999

Ratings: 2,118 |  Reviews: 803
3.42/5  rDev +5.2%

Pseudo hazy light golden color with a thin head, even with a vigorous pour. Foam does leave a decent film throughout though.

Smell is mostly of citrusy wheat, some lemony notes as well. A pleasant hint of sourness. Overall, a pretty faint nose.

Taste is somewhere in between an American wheat and a hefeweizen. Not enough citrusy and yeasty flavors for a true hefe. Wheat is there in abundance.

I have been a bit disappointed in most of Widmers offerings, but this one is somewhat enjoyable - just a simple, refreshing summertime quencher that doesn't try to do too much.

A - I was really excited about this beer after purchasing a hefe glass to drink it in and I had previously heard good things. The pour was very nice its really cloudy and has a large orange top that fades to yellow at the bottom of the glass. Minimal head that disappears quicker than I blow it.

S - Strong honey scent with orange and actually a little malty. Smells and looks yummy at this point.

T - A sheet Houston we've got a problem. It tastes like Bud Light. Actually it tastes like Budweiser ya know the "heavy stuff" I wanted a freakin' wheat beer and what happened to the honey and orange. Quality Assurance missed this bottle apparently.

M - Well it least it quenches my thirst, but it really needs an orange or lemon to give it some sort of appeal to my tongue.

D - Sure...on a summer afternoon after I get off work and want to sit in the sun. But no on a fall day in Minnesota. This is actually like the Corona of hefe. Crap by itself, but give it a training wheel and suddenly it blossoms.

3.2/5  rDev -1.5%

My second pour at the Prudential Center Newark NJ for the Devils/Islanders game. I was quite happy to see a west coast craft brewry on tap, and a heffeweizen to boot! I've had Widmer in the past when in Seattle for the tulip festival and didn't remember much so this was a good time to give it another go.

A: The fine lass, a Bronx woman I might add, poured a foggy dark orange into a quality plastic stadium pint cup with the foggyness around the edges. Bigboy dark creamy rich two finger head falling quickly thereafter to a small cap. Impressive sticky legs turning to crescnts as it reached the cap. A good start as compared to the see through versions you mostly get from American brewers.

S: As this is a Porland brew, (I've done my homework on the ingredients as well as knowing a chef in the city that has had this on tap for years) the multiple malts mixture had me intrigued. Pre-expectations can be the killer I reckon because I didn't smell any of what I would consider to be basic tenants of a Heffe, such as yeast, banana and cloves. Mostly pale malts and spices was what I got after multiple nose dives.

T: I was positive the woman served me the wrong beer after my first quaf. A few more gingerly sipps and I looked over to my friend and asked him if this was an IPA or a wheat. The classification does not lie with Pale and Ale with Wheat in the middle to confuse. Your pallet gets smashed with classic west coast hop bomb with just about each drink. Now mind you, there are minor accents of cloves and spices but almost as an afterthought or simply to comply with the style ingredients. Too much malt, with four of them, you could argue this was nearing a Quad but easily an American Wheat Ale more than anything else. To reiterate, there are copious amounts of malts (Cascade) and even more hops in this brew, which is not bad to set the record straight, just too much and more bitterness than I would prefer.

M: Nedium mouthfeel with a powerful carbonation level and retention, but works well due to the over abundance of malts. ABV level is not overpowering and a good brew for a hot day in the yard or a day long festival.

D: The Widmer brothers can lay claim to one of the oldest American Wheats around, and heffe I reckon. Again, this is a malt/hop influenced Heffe and another good example of the West coast amalgam of styles and ingredients. An enjoyable drink and one I would recommend to IPA gents not fond of Heffe's due to banana/yeast flavors (which this one lacks for the most part)

3.33/5  rDev +2.5%

A friend gave me a 12 oz. bottle of this. Decanted into a pint glass. It's very cloudy and looks like a honeycomb. Thin white head, okay retention.

Smells like honey and bananas. A little yeasty. A touch of sweet hops.

Tastes aren't as bold as I would like them. A little bit of the honey, some breadiness. The flavors kinda disappear in the middle, then return with a brief hoppy bitterness, then vanish altogether.

Mouthfeel is good - a little watery, but not bad.

I'm curious why this grouped on BA as an American Wheat, when the label says hefeweizen. But this is a pretty drinkable beer, nothing special, but not at all bad - worth checking out at least once.

2.78/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This looked okay, it was a pale hazy golden color. It was drier and a bit more bitter than I'm used to. There weren't really any banana notes to be found here at all. Not a very good example of the style in my opinion. This seemed tame and a little thin.

3.33/5  rDev +2.5%

Received a light orange pint with a decent off-white head and some lacing. Fished out the lemon the bar-keep dropped in. She didn't look like a beer drinker anyway.

Scents of sweet wheat, some sweet fruit and a little faint spice.

Odd mix of sweet grain, fruitiness, and raw grain here. You get that yeasty edge too, but this is a bit of a jumbled mix.

Lightly carbonated with a bit of a sour finish.

Not the best representation of the style or, well, just good craft brewing. Some unevenness that will keep me from going back. No horrific at all, but not doing it for me either. Just OK.

4.28/5  rDev +31.7%

Nice cloudy beer with about a finger width of head, served with a lemon wedge. Really heavy on the wheat almost a chewable beer. Not much of a citrus kick and no sweetness.

One of the more flavorful Hefeweizens that I've had in a while. It's a slow drink but enjoyable. Definitely a drink to have while consuming hot wings.

3.25/5  rDev 0%

One of my offerings to the monthly poker game.

Pours an orange juice gold. Agressive pour yields a big bubbled head that tries to last, but can't hang that long.

Semi-pleasant, light fragrance of citrus, oranges.

Taste of citrus, orange peel. Fair flavor.

Feel is better than expected, ligth carbonation. Completely drinkable.

Had on tap a few times and will continue to do so in establishments without a generous beer list if you know what I'm saying. Since it actually has some flavor, it makes a good go-to beer.

Overall: not bad

A: Pours a hazy, unfiltered orange color with a generous, two-finger head that quickly fades to lacing. Plenty of suspended sediment floating at bottom of glass.

S: Light citrus, spicy hops and yeast.

T: Opens with a subtle citrus flavor with hints of lemon zest. Moves into biscuit and yeast with notes of light wheat, grain, and spiced hops. Finishes dry and slightly bitter.

M: Crisp and refreshing. Light to medium-bodied and moderately carbonated.

D: Easy drinking, yet bland and somewhat middle-of-the-road in character.

3.15/5  rDev -3.1%

Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle

Pours a tan orange with a finger of white head. Leaves some decent lace. Very cloudy beer. Looks decent.

Smell is very citrusy and a lot of "lemonness" going on here. The smell isn't very appealing. It is very musky. The taste is of wheat and there is a flavor that citrus and fruit going on here. Very bland flavor.

Mouthfeel: A little smooth, medium bodied and decent carbonation. Ends a little dry.

Overall this is a decent brew, nothing to special, not up to my standards for the style. Cheap and decent I guess.

2.53/5  rDev -22.2%

Thanks to Rich for the opportunity to sample this beer. Served at just over fridge temperature in a weissbier glass, this has the date 061808 raised on the label. This East Coast example was bottle at Redhook.

Appearance- A heavily cloudy, murky gold beer glugs into the glass... this is as opaque as any hefeweizen I've seen. The head rises two fingers and stays put for many minutes, lacing well.

Smell- While the wheat malt and aromatic hops are present, the usual components of banana, bubblegum and clove are almost completely obscured... if not absent. The nose is one of lemon, wheat, and doughy bread.

Taste- Husky and wheaty in flavor, this beer goes straight to grain and barely offers up the truly enjoyable attributes of a weissbier. There is no banana, no clove, but a spiciness and hop bittering comes through in the finish. Disappointing.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- A thin beer that struggles to becomes slick and creamy... the carbonation is easy and nondescript, providing a mild texture without emphasizing the ingredients. Overall, I'd suggest passing this over completely in favor of the real deal from Germany or several other offerings from the States.

3.28/5  rDev +0.9%

Thought I would grab this one while in Hawaii since we don't get it in my state. Pours a hazy pale orange with a one-finger off-white quickly fading head. Smells grassy and lemony. Tastes of bananas, oranges and malts with some spice thrown in for goo dmeasure. Mouth-feel is a little creamy and very drinkable. The good thing about rating beers on vacation is that sometimes you can't "internet check" your ratings to see what others are thinking about a particular brew. I rated it a C+, damn us BA's all think alike.

3.45/5  rDev +6.2%

Served in a tumbler. Poured a murky orange-gold with a soapy slick of foam and a thin, tight white band around the edges; no lacing present during the session. Copious yeast particles present in solution. Mild nose; perhaps a little grassy with a light citrus quality. Taste consistent with nose; citrus astringency is a little more pronounced, due to carbobnation level, but nothing really pops. Mouthfeel is fairly light with a decent amount of carbonation, but comes off a little heavier than anticipated for the abv and style. Very drinkable brew. Nice session summer session beer. Flavor is a little muted, but not terribly so, and quite easy drinking; good for grilling.

3.03/5  rDev -6.8%

Bought single 12 oz at whole foods. Poured into 16 oz. pilsner glass, Nice head retention , followed by decent lacing around top.

This beer actually looks alot better than it tastes, prolly one of the worst hefeweizens i've tasted. Doesnt contain the light refreshing taste that you would expect from a wheat beer, good thing i also bought a six pack of Franziskaner while at the store

ps. Tried this acouple months later on draft and it was significantly
better. Dont know if i got a bad bottle or what but the one i had tasted like old ladies perfume

3.56/5  rDev +9.5%

Certainly has that Hefe look about it. Very cloudy/hazy yellow orange with a brilliant white head of fine foam.

Aroma of a solid wheat malt backbone with a hint of floral citrus.

Strong wheat flavor with a bit of grapefruit rind bitterness in the back end. Thick, smooth mouthfeel..felt like I could almost chew this beer.

I might be the slight minority, but I liked this beer. On a hot summer day after playing in the mountains of Montana it would hit the spot.

2.72/5  rDev -16.3%

Not the best looking beer. Very cloudy and seemed to pour kind of heavy with not really any head at all. Looked like orange juice, or maybe an orange grapefruit juice. It's got a real strong fruity taste to it and on top of that they serve it with a lemon. Outside of that though it was a rather bland beer, that halfway through I was ready to try something else.

3.36/5  rDev +3.4%

Had on tap at Olive & Twist in Pittsburgh

A: The appearance is exactly like that of a Blue Moon, very cloudy and orange colored

S: Tons of wheat malts, and a slight citrus smell as well in the nose.

T: The taste is very clean and refreshing. There is definite orange, lemon, and slight spices.

Overall, a decent wheat beer, but not much hops. Very refreshing on a summer day, but only a decent APWA.

3.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Served on-tap at Voodoo Grill in Mystic, Conn.

A: Poured a cloudy, murky yellow color with a thin cap of white foam which left little to no lacing.

S: Smells a little sweet and citrusy with some hints of funky wheat and banana aromas. The hops are very light and almost untraceable under the citrus and grain smells.

T: Taste is sweet and lemony up front, with a bit of that chewy grain and wheat coming through shortly thereafter. The hopping is minimal and is masked by the citrus flavors. It's a bit synthetic tasting, but still drinkable.

M: Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied, crisp, yet slightly creamy at most times.

D: Pretty light and tasty, but not overwhelmingly so. It's a pretty generic tasting wheat beer with a lemon element to it. It's decent, but not one to stock or be on the look out for.

The drinkability became a little harsh when the brew sat for a few minutes while I ate my spicy crabcake sandwich, but it paired pretty well with it. I probably wouldn't session it, as there are far better wheats and weizens out there to choose from.

3.05/5  rDev -6.2%

On tap in a plastic cup with shrimp and mussels at a good seafood place in Atlantic City (The Oyster Creek Inn)

A - Average with no real standouts, looked like a standard american wheat

S - Decent clean smell not too flavorful

T - An average wheat beer, not untasty just no standout

M - Nice full mouthfeel, clean and appropriate for the style

D - A drinkable selection, but not one that I would go out of my way to find

3.3/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours dark,cloudy orange color. Small head that settles to a tiny,foamy lace.
The aroma is wheat and citrus. The taste is wheat and light citrus.
The feel is mild carbonation and a thin,watery finish. It was clean and crispy,but too thin.

Notes: A tad bit below average,yet easy enough to drink and despite my feeling that it was thin and watered down I would drink it if it was offered. I will not buy it again,but only because there are better options, not because the brew is awful.

3.06/5  rDev -5.8%

Bland as bland can be, from start to finish. I knew Widmer was a Portland brewery and we are going there this fall so I wanted to check it out. I guess my expectations were too high. The appearance was good but otherwise this beer was crazy dull. No real notes of yeast or spice or banana in either the nose or the taste. It sure was wet, though.

HV

2.83/5  rDev -12.9%

Served in a pint glass at a restaurant. Very little head, but that could be from the pour. Cloudy murky dull orange coloring. The head was fluffy off-white and only hung around for a few minutes. Very little lacing.
Familiar smells or banana, yeast, not much else. I was surprised by the taste of this hefe. A hint of banana, but not as much as the aroma had me prepared for. Some light spice and slightly yeasty. Ended with those well known NW hops.
Mouthfeel was thin, almost a bit watery, with strong carbonation.
This beer just wasn't what I expected to get when ordering a hefe. The hops drowned out the malt for me. The banana was about the only other thing I could taste. Very simply and shallow taste. Not at all the deep, complex beer I was hoping for after hearing alot hype about this brewery.

3.72/5  rDev +14.5%

It's currently 7 in the morning on a Saturday, I'm finishing up a magnum of Lost Abbey Red Barn following a Bomber of Mojo Risin' Double IPA after a 12 hour late night at work, and now I'm reviewing a beer from notes, I REALLY need to go to bed, but I'm contemplating just going down to McDonald's for some breakfast instead. The beer was served on-tap at the Saucer in a Widmer Hefeweizen Weizen glass that was mine to keep! The beer was served a hazy straw yellow with a thin diminishing head, nothing like I'd expect from a Hefeweizen or an American Pale Wheat Ale. Aroma was nearly textbook for the style; sweet fruits, bananas and bubblegum. The taste was more of the same, sweet fruits and sweet malts with the hops quietly doing their job in the background. The beer was light and smooth with decent carbonation, also textbook for the style. This is certainly a great example of what this style should be. While I'm not a huge fan of the style, if the mood should strike, or if I want to use my glass, I may purchase this one again.

3.51/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A-Pours a nice cloudy orange/yellow with a small head that diminished to a thin film.

S - Wheat, malt, a faint hint of banana

T - Smooth, a good amount of malt, a very small hint of hops, and a little citrus-y

M-Low carbonation, very smooth

D-High, very high. This would be a great beer for a summer afternoon of drinking.

Nothing too surprising with this one, a bit dull for a hefe, but I can't really complain with this one. A nice session beer. I'd buy this again, but wouldn't go out of my way for it

3.6/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

poured from a bomber, this was a hazy gold with a decent pure white head and lacing. faint american wheat beer aromas of fresh bread with a lemony twinge. taste follows suit. nice lively carbonation, light bodied, smooth yet crisp mouthfeel and a short finish which leaves you wanting more. very sessionable at this abv and also the price is right. good summer beer.

Widmer Hefeweizen from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company