Widmer Hefeweizen | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

good
Read the review
Widmer HefeweizenWidmer Hefeweizen

malts:
Pale, Munich, Wheat, Caramel 40L

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Willamette, Cascade

Added by Todd on 07-17-1999

Reviews: 793 | Ratings: 2,066
2.78/5  rDev -14.5%

I had never heard of this beer until last week when I saw this on the shelf of a liquor store nearby. I love hefes and so when I saw it, I figured I'd give it a try. I was actually kind of excited, its rare to find a American attempt at a hefeweizen and just by the look of the bottle I thought it would be good. It stressed mightily that it was a hefeweizen. When I poured it, it was a light orangish color and sort of looked like a slightly darker Konig Ludwig. The smell had definite citric scents. I got very happy thinking that this was going to be a quality beer but the taste was not what I expected. Needless to say, I was upset. I am surprised that this beer has gotten such good ratings. Perhaps I expected too much but at the same time looking at my rating it seems a bit higher than I think the beer deserves. There wasn't much as far as taste. It did have the sort of lemony taste that I enjoy from many wheats but it was minimal. The body of the beer was nowhere close to other hefes. I was disappointed and if you have the choice of buying a sixer of these or spending a few more bucks to get something like a Schneider Weisse, make the right choice.

2.42/5  rDev -25.5%

A cloudy healthy orange hazy appearance on draught. Fresh lemon wedge is obligatory. Splash! Of, course typical citrous nose with lemon, mind you.

Low carbonation level steps into flat and stale, even for Hefe. A creamy, off tang is dissapointing. She looked good from far but far from good, guys. Ooops. Overly bitter & sour. Darn!

Mouthfeel goes mid-to-back tongue. I even resorted to squishing and beating this one up inside to ellicit some fragrance and taste. Beat up: No response. Frownie face.

This will get a generous 3.0 / 5.0 drinkability. Preferably, I would grab a can of any gusto-session $10 can case brew before this. Sorry. (Peace sign & thumbs down) i.e Too - bad!

Beer is good. Happy beering.

3.85/5  rDev +18.5%

A very lively and light looking beer. After a quick swirl to stir up any yeasties and a hard pour, this beer turned out to be a very pale and nicely carbonated yellow color. A good size head topped off the beer, but receded very quickly. The aroma has wonderful sweet citrus notes to it. The taste is very light and citrusy with just a trace of sourness. Lemons, oranges and a small amount of bubblegum detected.

Sweet tangy finish, nothing harsh about this beer in any way. Enjoyable and drinkable, and one of the lightest hefes I’ve ever had. A near perfect warm weather beer to quench your thirst.

4.25/5  rDev +30.8%

Six pack purchased at the grocery store.

Pours a nebulous copper. Little to no head. Some sudsy bubbles lingering around the glass.

Smell is a glorious burst of yeast and wheat, truly earthy and wonderful! Makes me want to eat it with a fork.

Taste is of soft malts followed by a slight hop bitterness, and encompassing each of these flavors is the wheat chewiness. Mouthfeel can also be described as chewy. Really great body.

This is my favorite American wheat beer, hands down. Other versions are generally too watery, too dull.

3.05/5  rDev -6.2%

Pours a cloudy gold.

Smell is light, yeast and lemons and a very mild spice smell.

Taste is light too. A mix of tartness and wheat flavor with a distinct mild hop finish.

Mouthfeel is Very light.

Very drinkable, this is a beer that is very much meant to be drank everyday. It has no illusions about being an artisan brew, it merely aims to be a refreshing brew, and at that it succeeds.

I drink this with pizza fairly often.

2.93/5  rDev -9.8%

Had this on-tap at Van Andel arena for a hockey game rather than suffer through Michelob Amber Bock or other, even worse macro products.

Beer was decent yellow/orange hue, much thicker appearing than an average macro, but not as dense as I'd like it to be. A nice frothy head was there though.

Taste, well, a step above the complete macro crap, but nothing to rave about either. A little sweet, with some body, but not very much while the mouthfeel was unimpressive.

Drinkability is the only thing I can give this beer decent marks on, it went down smooth. An alright beer, but nothing I'd pick given the option of micros.

3.55/5  rDev +9.2%

Surprisingly-hazy yellow, medium head with good stickiness. Smell has a lot of German (tettnanger) hops that amount to a spicy and almost metallic aroma and flavor to this brew. Nice, but possibly a bit too much. Slight tartness, spritzy feel. Less esters than one would expect. A very enjoyable brew, very drinkable. There are better american hefewiezens out there, but this is certainly good.

3.96/5  rDev +21.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This was one refreshing brew. It's appearance was pretty cool, with the cloudy orangey/amber color and the frothy off white head. The smell was quite nice as well. It was a wheaty beginning, but then changed over to a citrusy smell. The taste was similar to the smell, which was a very nice experience. I guess the most predominant thing with the taste is the citrus body. Overall this was one great brew and it was very refreshing.

4.01/5  rDev +23.4%

Great looking beer. The color was a densely cloudy yellow. There's something about a light colored beer that you can't see through that I just love.

Now for the bad news: they served it in a frosted pint glass! After removing ice chips from the side of my glass, I took a sip and froze the inside of my mouth. Oh well. I thoroughly enjoyed the beer after it warmed up a little. I don't go for the hefes too often, but this is the best one I've had.

The taste was bready and well balanced in every aspect. I'll return to this beer if I return to the bar.

2.61/5  rDev -19.7%

Contract brewed in New Hampshire. Cloudy, cloudy peach color, better appearance than Harpoon Hefe. Head is somewhat minimal, hanging as a skin for over a minute. Punctuation mark lace. Aroma is light, some sense of pear. Thickish, lots of yeast caught in suspension. So the set-up looks very good. Unfortunately, the taste is close to nothing, maybe a slog of yeastiness and some cinnamon and maple -- but essentially I'm magnifying these properties. Just sits in neutral in so many ways, finish is just slightly lemony. Not much to see here folks. Thanks to Liza P. and her dad for getting it, and Ken K. for delivering it.

2.61/5  rDev -19.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Is this a macro brew? It's not horrible if you ignore the fact that it says Hefewizen on the bottle. But their website says, "ours has been the standard by which all other Hefeweizens are judged." Hahaha! Sorry, think again. Where is the clove spicness and banana fruitiness? Compare to Weihenstephaner HefeWeissbier, Schneider Weisse, Ayinger Bräu Weisse or even Arcadia Whitsun Ale and you'll see the vast difference. Widmer is weak.

3.22/5  rDev -0.9%

Well, I dunno, this was an OK beer, nothing outstanding, but not to bad, all things considered. It poured very hazy, with a meduim yelly orange, and some head, not to much lace going down though. It smelled sweet enough, but nothing over-powering. Taste has a little bit of spice to it. A little lemon, a little sweetness, not real hop/malt/wheat/whatever balance to speak of. But he, this is ok, all around. But let's call a spade a spade and a macro a macro. This is a macro, but people might find this to be their bridge, so get some for your next party, you know, to float some bait out there for them.

3.25/5  rDev 0%

I loved some of this bier, but yet there was a bit lacking from it as well. It poured from the tap a hazy golden colour. I was expecting somethign that would wow me with wheat and all of its splendor. However, the aroma was decent, at best, and the flavor just left me wanting a bit more...more anything. Still, this is a refreshing Hefeweizen that is worth a try, should you be able to find it.

Zum wohl!

2.77/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a very paled and extremely hazy orange, as the yeast really browned out the lustre. Had a thin foam head with consistent texture and depth, pretty good lacing. But, the yeast is big, chunky, and very unattractive, a shame considering the rest is nice.

Smelled of honey, soft and fluffy malt, small and light clove notes, and some hay and grass scents, like as if from the hops typically found in pilseners. Taste was lemony paired with a tight bitterness that was oily and tartly fresh. Malt was fair, not too wheaty, grainy, tart, or juicy, just plain fair. Nasty finish from some wrong yeast - is it really hefeweizen yeast? Very watery mouthfeel.

Drinkable if not considered as a hefeweizen, drinkable like a macro beer is - I’ll pass on it.

2.53/5  rDev -22.2%

Appearance – Light copper in color and cloudy with a decent head that went down rather quickly.

Smell – The aroma is very faint. There’s a touch of yeast in there but the dominant scent is orange/citrus. There’s also some light spicing.

Taste – Where’s the wheat? The orange flavors come out more followed by a hop backbone. Ist das ein hefeweizen?

Mouthfeel – Where’s the carbonation? This bottle is flat as a pancake. It’s very thin in the mouth and uninspiring.

Drinkability – I can’t imagine ever wanting to buy another one of these. This was lousy.

Sinkability – I rate this a 4.5 here. It has a very good chance of cleaning my kitchen pipes tonight.

3.25/5  rDev 0%

pours a cloudy medium straw colour with a the typical cloudy look of a hefe. However, looks can be decieving. There is not much of a nose. perhaps a whiff of grain and clove, but thats it. The taste is pretty light and bland. None of the malty banana flavours that one expects. The finish is a bit over hopped in my opinon. The mouthfeel is filling, but is lacking in depth. Drinkabliity is OK. This hefe is a C student who is trying hard but just cant seem to get over the hump

3.78/5  rDev +16.3%

Medium gold color, slightly cloudy, medium head. A light bodied wheat beer. Light malts and hops. Good flavor, well balanced. Slight banana and clove taste. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is mostly neutral. Excellent beer. BUT not as good as it used to be.

3.92/5  rDev +20.6%

Had this on tap in Portsmouth, N.H.

I thought it was something esoteric, then realized it was brewed by Red Hook.

It was one of the first Hefeweizens I ever had, and I like the style, so I guess that speaks well for it.

Poured a clody gold, short head. A real bite to this beer and one that you could sit and enjoy for a while.

I will have to get a six-pack of this to really think it through.

3.45/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I had this one while in Eugene, OR this week. Great bottle and label, nice packaging.

Beer pours a slightly hazy yellow. Not quite the look of a real hefe here. Seems a little off. Smell is ok, but a little week. Not enough clove/spice notes here.

Taste is ok, but again, not great. Some spicy notes, but seems slightly washed out. Not a bad beer, but not one I would actively search out

3.68/5  rDev +13.2%

Widmer Brothers: my hat is off. Everything a wheat beer should be but rarely is. It doesn’t overwhelm one with LEMON!! Like some I could name. The appearance is a cloudy orange mist. Creamy head, mild aromas of yeast, and just a hint of citrus. A tad grapefruit in initial taste, offset with yeast. Very understated: much an American Wheat beer, not a true Hefeweizen. Dry finish, with a mildly sweet after taste, leaving a clean palate. Great for a summer outing or a picnic.

2.05/5  rDev -36.9%

Appears: Cloudy unfiltered golden orange with thin white head, sorry no lacing to speak of here. Aroma: Bland dumbeddown some banana tones in the background not much more to say has ties with A-B it's not to much of anything. Taste: A weird finish to a bland representation of one of my favorite summer styles just disappointingly inept, no flavor just so light flat. Mouthfeel: No texture thin and watery needs more body and not enough carbonation. Drinkability: So middle of the road, wow I remember this beer being so much better in a bottle last summer while living in southern California, but after trying their Kolsch I definitely loose respect for them.

1.9/5  rDev -41.5%

Poured with a wussy white head that stays, leaving a little lace. Low carbonation. Cloudy straw color. Starts hoppy, finishes hoppy but soapy. Light bodied. The ABV is 4.7% There are much better wheats out there. Contracted by Widmer Brothers Brewing with Redhook Brewery in Portsmouth.

2.83/5  rDev -12.9%

I originally sampled this beer on 3 August 2002. I am writing this review from my notes.
Appearance: This brew pours a cloudy yellow color with a white head.
Aroma: There are slight hints of banana & clove in the nose.
Mouthfeel:this is a middle of the road hefe. I was expecting higher quality fm Widmer. I'm a bit disappointed in this one. This would ok to drink on a hot summer day

2.09/5  rDev -35.7%

This was a big disappointment. I am a fan of Hefeweizens, and I was hoping that this would actually be a decent American Hefe, something that I've never had before. This was also the first Hefe that I've ever had off tap. Its had a lot of hype in my area, and was as expensive as decent imported beers. I was excited... and then I got the glass. This beer looked like puke. It was an odd, orangish color, and very cloudy. The wierdest thing about this hefe was that it had NO HEAD! Now I know that it may have been the man who poured the beer's fault, but a hefe without a head is ridiculous. Its flavor was bland,not at all like a German hefe. It replaced the hefe flavor that it should of had with an alcohol taste. This beer was not worth $4.50. I say stay away from this unless you can get it for free. If you like hefes, stick with Weihenstphaner, Ayinger, Franziskaner, etc. They actually have a flavor, and you can buy a bottle for $3.

2.99/5  rDev -8%

Really something of a dissapointment. It's a sort of strange orange color, and is really lacking any scent past a hint of citrus. Likewise, it's rather bland. It's one of those strange beers that seems to be all aftertaste, though it has a decent, mildly hoppy finish. Near the end of the glass, I did notice the lacing sticks around very nicely though.

Drinkable, sure, but there's better out there. Find yourself an actual German Weizen, and you'll do fine.

Widmer Hefeweizen from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company