Drifter Pale Ale | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Drifter Pale AleDrifter Pale Ale

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company
Oregon, United States
widmer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

availability: year-round
bitterness: 32 IBU
alcohol by volume: 5.7%
original gravity: 14.0° PLATO

malts:
Pale, Caramel 20L, Caravienne 20L, Caramel 80L, Carapils

hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Summit, Nelson Sauvin
Dry Hopped: Summit, Nelson Sauvin

Added by madtappers on 12-23-2008

1.12/5  rDev -70.1%

Wow, This is a Horrible Beer.It tastes like it was Fermented in Dirty Socks,with Body Order added for Flavor.The Date on the side says Feb 10 09.I don't know if thats the "Born on Date" or "Expiration Date".? Widmer Dropped the ball on this one.I liked everything else they produced.

1.5/5  rDev -60%

1.5/5  rDev -60%

1.75/5  rDev -53.3%

1.8/5  rDev -52%

I had high hopes for this beer as I love Broken Halo and their hefe. But this on just didn't work out for me. The amount of bitterness is perfect for an american pale ale but the type of hops they used disagrees with my palate 100%. Their website said they used summit, nelson sauvin, and alchemy hops in this beer. I'm assuming its the summit or the Nelson Sauvin hops because I like their IPA and it has alchemy hops in it. Would be a great beer if they used something like cascade instead. But then I guess it'd probably just taste like Sierra Nevada.

2.25/5  rDev -40%

2.25/5  rDev -40%

2.38/5  rDev -36.5%

A: Hazy amber with a silky, creamy off-white head.

S: Slight citrus hops and a heft dosage of caramel malts.

T: The taste starts off with a tongue coating of thick and rich caramel, which becomes ever-so-slightly cut with citrus bitterness, but not to an extent that prevents the beer from being cloying. I really didn't enjoy this. Looking up the malts on Widmer's website, it says, "PALE, CARAMEL 20L, CARAVIENNE 20L, CARAMEL 80L, CARAPILS." The fact that they use three caramel malts doesn't surprise me.

M: Medium bodied

D: I finished it, but moved on to other selections after the first one. Maybe this would be a good beer to have in the fall or winter, but on a hot summer day, I needed something with more bitterness or less caramel.

2.42/5  rDev -35.5%

Reviewed 04/03/2009 (Bottle dated Jan2109):

Pours a clear brownish red color body with a small off-white head, quickly diminishing. Aroma is dry grapefruit. Some bitterness too. But pretty weak overall. Somewhat watery dry taste. Some malty nuttiness. Some hoppy bitterness. Weak bland taste.

2.53/5  rDev -32.5%

I'm not a fan of this ale. I kept getting this tasted of body odor while drinking it. It looked nice in the glass- a pretty amber color with carbon bubbles rising. Interestingly it didn't smell of body odor; it has a sweet hoppy aroma. The mouthfeel was kind of thin. I just cannot get over the body odor flavor to it. I poured it into a glass to let it breathe thinking that the BO like flavor was from bottle skunk but the flavor didn't change much. I would not recommed this ale to anyone.

Drifter Pale Ale from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company