Pitch Black IPA | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company
Oregon, United States
widmer.com

Style: American Black Ale

Originally brewed as a 2010 one-time release called W'10, now a seasonal called simply 'Pitch Black IPA'

availability: January - April
bitterness: 65 IBU
alcohol by volume: 6.5%
original gravity: 16° PLATO

Malts:
Two Row Pale, Caramel 10 L, Special Roast, Carafa Special II

Hops:
Bittering: Alchemy
Aroma: Alchemy, Cascades
Dry Hop: Cascade T-45

Added by JohnGalt1 on 11-21-2009

1.25/5  rDev -67%

1.75/5  rDev -53.8%

2.09/5  rDev -44.9%

Bottle dated march 3 2011. I know old, but I work at a grocery store and a rep for Widmer gave this to us today to convince us to carry this product. We will not.

A: Good look. Nice head but very little retention.

S: A bit fruity and roasty but vey light. Watery.

T: Wow, boring. The hop is there but very light. I think this would have been better if we had been given a bottle. This tastes watered down. I feel like I would be given this at a dive bar that waters down it's drinks.

M: Surprisingly carbonated. Very light, hardly any body.

O: I feel bad because I got an old bottle, but this is just bad. Not flavorful or interesting. I don't understand why a rep would give us an old bottle when he wants us to bring this in. I will give this one more try if I find a fresher batch, but am hesitant as to the quality of this beer regardless of age.

2.25/5  rDev -40.6%

2.29/5  rDev -39.6%

Poured from a nicely chilled bottle into a pint glass.

Deep opaque brown-black with light tan cream head that lingers. Minimal hop and malt aroma. Flavor was almost non-existent, watery and lacking in both hops and malt. No deep bitterness. Light crisp mouthfeel.

Overall impression - watery and flavorless. Ended up dumping it down the drain and poured a Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious instead.

2.49/5  rDev -34.3%

This was a disappointing offering. First of all I love IPAs but I've only had a few black IPAs. Second, this wasn't a bad beer but it tasted more like a porter than an IPA. Smell was dark with a slight hop aroma. Taste was smokey (like a porter) and never tasted any hops. The aftertaste was the worst. It was slick, oily and tart.

2.58/5  rDev -31.9%

PITCH BLACK IPA WIDMER BROTHERS.

Pours deep mahogany and turns black in the glass. There's a nice tan head with great lacing and a lot of body.

Well hopped, a touch of burnt malt, and a hint of chocolate.

This is where the beer starts to underwhelm. A good citrus hop finish and start but it never really reaches that intense level. The malt here comes off watery, certainly adding in some darker flavors and caramel sweetness. This beer just never really comes together. It just feels watery.

the watery flavor or lack there of is here in a big way. The beer tastes nearly flat which is amazing given how nice the head was.

I'm not sure why this beer is 9+ for a 4 pack as it isn't big, it isn't bold, and it isn't impressive. Perhaps this beer is a bit old 4 months is a long time for an IPA, but this is just showed up here so it wasn't available fresh.

2.64/5  rDev -30.3%

A --- deep black with a nice 1/2" head

S --- malts, raisins, grass

T --- caramel, coffee, roasted malts

M --- light body, watery, light carbonation

O --- Disappointing. Compared to all the other solid Black IPAs on the market this one doesn't measure up. It's closer to a roasty Porter than an IPA. Not crazy about it.

2.64/5  rDev -30.3%

June 3 bottle date

A: pours a coffee ground black with excellent clarity where allowed. Less than single finger off white head all but disappears to a scattered sheet of the same. Spot lace.

S: Nice and woody with pine and resin aromas. Nothing special.

T: Nice and bitter. Not very flavorful, but wood, yeast, cocoa and coffee grounds (just the grounds, no coffee). Interesting.

M: thin and bubbly with a dry finish.

O: okay beer. Last time I'm likely to drink.

2.66/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Freshness date noticeable. 12oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass. Pours pitch black, hence the name. There's a nice foamy off-white head, which disappears pretty quickly; decent lacing. The aromas are all chocolate malt, the hops aren't really present in the aromas. The aromas also are pretty faint, overall. Wow, the first sip was pretty unimpressive. The flavors just fall flat, with an awkward aftertaste. Lots of chocolate running wild, and finally the hops are noticeable. There's nothing fruity about this one. The mouthfeel isn't bad, it's pretty light and creamy, maybe a little too fizzy. Overall, it got better as I drank it, but I'm not really too impressed. Bad bottle maybe?

I'm a big fan of Black IPAs, but this one really didn't do it for me. Maybe I'm being harsh, but I've been enjoying alot of Black IPAs lately. This one isn't worth the price of admission.

2.75/5  rDev -27.4%

Did I get a different bottle than everyone else here? Black? Yes. Head: pillow with at tad rock and nice white. Garnet highlights. Nice Centennial-like nose with some malt: grapefruit. So far so good. Taste? Grass: pure grass with some medium body dark malt background. I LOVE fresh hops. But this is pure grass without the fresh taste. Dominants. Becomes ANNOYING and astringent.

A bad bottle? Possible, but not likely. No cardboard, no sense of infection: no defects other than the hop problem here. Phenolics? No. DMS? No. It really tastes like someone boiled the hell out of the hops, or used funky hops. Did they get bad hops for this batch of Pitch? Could be, I suppose.

I do not recommend this, and that's unfortunate. Less of a hop boil might help. No indication this is fresh hops, but if so: the boil is probably still off. The hopping ruined it. It could have been damn good. Get a better brewer: one who knows how to use hops.

Pitch Black IPA from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company