Nelson Imperial IPA | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Malts: 2-Row Pale, Carapils, Caramel 10-L
Hops: Alchemy, Nelson Sauvin, Cascade, Willamette

Added by msubulldog25 on 01-08-2010

Reviews: 304 | Ratings: 749

Deadlift is one of my top 5 favorite Imperial IPAs!!! Widmer brothers really nailed this one. The imported Nelson Sauvin hops from New Zealand really gives it a unique berry-like taste that really finishes nicely! The tap handle for Deadlift is also my favorite!

4.95/5  rDev +27.9%

Presentation: Poured into a pint glass on 'pint night' at the Flying Saucer in Columbia, SC

A: Beautiful, clear, golden-orange amber color with a nice thick 2-1/2 finger, off-white head. Fluffy, heavy, thick lacing.

S: Citrus, piney hops. Really nice! Some mild sweetness from the malts.

T&M: Full bodied. You can tell it's thickness when you pour. Well-balanced with hops and malts. Earthy, piney, citrusy taste that explodes as it fades to a semi-dry, oily hop finish. The hop bitterness is definitely there, but subdued perfectly with the malt sweetness.

Great stuff. They better keep it as a 'regular' pour at the Saucer or I'll have to cease and desist as a regular. ;)

4.8/5  rDev +24%

All in all one of my favorite imperial IPAs recently. This beer is not too much on the malt side or on the hop. The Nelson Sauvin hops are a new favorite of mine and I will always buy anything mentioning this fine hop breed on the label. Impressed me significantly more than the Pitch Black IPA, which was by no means less than satisfactory. Keep it up Widmer Bros et al. Awesome option for the hophead desiring higher abv.

4.77/5  rDev +23.3%

More bottles from my latest Philly run. I am feeling adventurous today and may try to eradicate the bottle backlog that has been an albatross since school started back.

From the bottle: "Series 924"; "'Prost! Or if you prefer, Haka.'"; "Hopped to Perfection".

Before I begin to describe the head coming off of the pour, let me tell you about the nose. It was astounding! I have been a self-avowed hophead for some time, but this acted like air freshener in the room. It was pungently floral and my mouth was watering in anticipation as a result. The two dense, rocky fingers of eggnog-colored head sat there and defied me to disturb them. No problem! I was quite content to sit there and let the aroma fill my sinus cavity. Notes of orange zest, lemon peel, fresh mown grass and caramel malt satiated me nicely. Color was a golden-amber, the color some people tan to or like a chicken's skin when you know that it is ready to come off of the rotisserie, along with NE-quality clarity. As the head slowly fell, sticky lacing remained in its wake. My first sip and I heard the singing of angels as the hops went to work on my tongue, scrubbing away dead and unused taste buds to enhance my enjoyment. Mouthfeel was medium and the citrus fruit flavors were just wonderful. This simply reaffirmed my decision to be a hophead. It was not too bitter, nor too malty, either. This was Goldilocks beer - just right. Finish was dry, but not gaspingly dry, allowing me to savor the taste that much longer.

S**t, I forgot! I am no longer a hophead but a hops junkie and I haven't fixed for a while! Now, the singing has changed to the screeching of a monkey on my back. I gotta go score, man.

4.76/5  rDev +23%

Appearance: Pours an awesome golden orange color…lots of bubbles dancing on the inside…head is just off white, about a finger width thick and somewhat lasting…(4.25/5)

Smell: Mmmm…citrus hop boom to the nose…very rich and lively aroma…it’s more hoppy than citrus which I like…smells of fresh hops bursting out of the glass making my mouth water…(5/5)

Taste: Complex flavor here…citrus and piney hops all over, but this one is deep and very tasty…sweet malts are evident, certainly not lost on the tongue…cascade hops definitely in there…a fruity sweet after taste lingers…though it’s an imperial, the alcohol isn’t a major factor in the flavor and is only noticeable by the growing grin on my face…very tasty, excellent finish…(5/5)

Mouthfeel: A watery full bodied beer (if that makes sense)…carbonation is medium with a little bite to it...citrus and malt all over the palette…fresh, crisp and lingering…not overly bitter anywhere…(4/5)

Overall: Fantastic beer…love the hops but appreciate the discreet nature of the ABV…flavor all over the place here with enough hops for the heads but plenty of malt balance for the beer snob…it’s citrusy without being lemony or overly zesty in any way, which for me adds to it’s drinkability…I will definitely get this one again and set it aside for a later date…highly recommended for sipping on during MNF or really anytime…(4.5/5)

4.72/5  rDev +22%

This is a flat-out kick-ass DIPA that is rated much too low from what I see.

A-Oak colored...minimal head

S-Awesome DIPA aroma of sweet tropical fruits, apricots, peaches and a sweeter malt backing..

T-first and foremost I get apricots and peaches but the tropical fruits are there in smaller abundance....also some overripe mandarin orange....really an awesome fruit flavor and just the right malt backing to make it work.

M-Medium to full bodied...not huge but not small.

O-Not a ton of bitterness to this if that is what you want but this is an outstanding DIPA I will buy more of if I see it. Got it on my North Dakota excursion so I hope I find it again.

4.64/5  rDev +19.9%

Poured from a growler into my Duvel tulip. Growler from Piney Grove Green's.

A - Orange amber with a small white head

S - Like fresh pineapple and mangoes. Seriously this smells so juicy and amazing. Most tropical aroma'd DIPA I've ever smelt.

T - Big tropical blast followed by a nice sweetness. Ends with a nice bitter bite.

M - Medium body with very little carbonation. I think I let this growler sit a little longer than it should have.

D - Easy drinking amazingly delicious DIPA. Enough bitterness to scratch the bitter itch and amazing tropical fruit flavors. This is one of the better DIPA's around. I have no clue how this beer doesn't have a much higher rating.

4.64/5  rDev +19.9%

Pours hazy orange color with a foamy off white head that faded very slowly and was full of bubbles, leaving excellent lacing clinging to the sides; a foamy layer stayed on top and kept this looking very inviting.

Smells of huge hops up front, with citrus hops, grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, mango, floral hops, flowers, sweet malt, caramel, herbs, piney hops, light grains, spices like pepper and coriander, and mild alcohol; very hoppy, sweet and fruity, this smells like fresh hops were floating in the beer - just delicious.

Tastes like it smells, with citrus hops, grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, mango, guava, floral hops, flowers, sweet malt, caramel, pear, herbs, piney hops, brown sugar, light grains, spices like pepper, cinnamon and coriander, mild alcohol like a pina colada; damn this is hoppy and tasty, with a nice citrus pith, mild grains and enough malts to add balance but let the fruity hop sweetness dominate. This reminds me of Cigar City Jai Alai IPA or Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA, and that is a major compliment. Very tasty and easy to drink with a slight bitterness that lets you know that this is a DIPA.

Mouthfeel is creamy and oily slick, with a medium body, a chewy feel, and a thick overall feel that is slightly bitter with a fruity finish that’s all about the hops.

A great beer that was refreshing and easy to drink for a DIPA, one which I consider highly drinkable and I shall seek out again. Brought a growler of this to a party to share and drank most of it myself – it was that damn good.

4.61/5  rDev +19.1%

Best beer I've EVER tasted.

Just did a 6oz tasting with a pull from a log I just put on @ HOOPS-N-HOPS. !@#$% so sweet.

Lemme just get this outta the way...it's been about 45 minutres since I drank it, and I'm a bit light headed from it...!
Powerful stuff, here.

Sticky stringy white foam, the smell of grapefruits and warm pineapples, which smell much different from the cold ones.

The taste was so different from what I'd imagined.
Buttery.
Smooth.
Velvety.
Nat King Cole on a beach in the early Summer wearing sandals and a linen shirt next to a girl who is not as beautiful as she is amazing when the sun goes down and the star to your left drops a few feet in the sky to remind you that magic is not a dream, but what you wish it to be...

Betcha wanna try some now!

(Sure, it's expensive, but, I only needed one to get lyrical.)

4.59/5  rDev +18.6%

Great hop aroma and taste upfront that sticks around for the ride, fruity and citrusy in a great way, 8.6% alcohol and would surely session. Tasted GREAT out of a snifter, one of my personal favorite IPAs and would surely like taste out of a keg. Recommended for a hopped flavorful treat.

4.55/5  rDev +17.6%

A- A nice looking orange copper color with a big, sticky white head.

S- Seductive aroma of malt, grapefruit, mango, and Fir needles.

T- Huge, rich, sweet, delicious caramel and cake batter MALT paints the palate, with an interesting mid-palate of saltiness. The finish is of balanced, restrained tropical fruit hops with very restrained bitterness.

M, D- The body verges on heavy -- certainly for the type. The mouthfeel is pure pleasure. The drinkability excellent.

I absolutely applaud and welcome this maltier style! Having the hops as a complement in perfect balance is such a welcome change from overblown hops.

4.55/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Comes out of the tap a clear golden amber wit ha fine-bubbled pale amber head. Rich and hoppy aroma is strongly evergreen. Strongly hoppy flavor fills the mouth with evergreen so it is like drinking a pine tree. There is a subtle hint of citrus. Thick, full-bodied, fizzy, edgy texture leaves behind a strongly hoppy tingle. This beer is a must for hops lovers!

4.53/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

QUESTION: WWRCD: What would Ronnie Coleman drink?

On tap at Elis... ugh. I've been drinking much less and hitting the gym hard. I didn't even want to go -- but decided on the Deadlift IPA for my one mug of the night. Good choice. Notes of pine, citrus with a strong floral aroma. Very pleasant IPA. Big bold flavors.

Almost as impressive as my 395# deadlift ...almost.

Ended up with a headache anyway. Every. single. time. It's the Elis standard.

This winter, I'll stick to homebrew and lifting heavy ass weight.

ANSWER: Protein. Beer doesn't get you swole.

4.53/5  rDev +17.1%

I've had a few others beers by this brewery, and none of them ever seemed very memorable. This beer is one I will come back to however. Pours a great hazy looking amber orange color with a good head, and a nice amount of it sticking to the glass. Smell is very hop strong... smell some pine and spruce in there. I like the taste a lot. Strong hops, but with some faint sweetness that helps balance it out well. I think this is exactly the taste I look for in an IPA/Double IPA. Body is good for the style, and though slightly dry, it strikes a good balance.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

L: Pours brilliant amber under a 1” white foam collar that is moderately persistent and clingy. S: Berry, pine, maybe rosemary and tropical fruit aromas. T: this has a real fruity palate dominated by berries and tropical fruit riding on a light caramel malt backbone. The hops are big but exceptionally well done with the hop and malt flavors balancing the hop bitterness. F: Medium body and carbonation. O: This is an exceptional beer that might very well appeal to wine drinkers.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

A- Poured into a snifter. Bottled Aug 17th. Pours a golden honey color with a thick white head and generous lacing. Looks very much how a great double IPA should.

S- Brings to mind Ruination. An initial sweetness followed by a strong punch of citrus hop, tropical fruit, and malt. As it warms the beer takes on a more Simcoe hop side.

T- Strong hop punch, stronger than the aroma lets on. Alcohol slightly noticeable. Much more pine dominant than the nose, but still possessing an ample amount of citrus character. Nice malt backbone.

M- Medium bodied.

O- One of my all time favorite DIPAS.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Pour is a glowing golden amber orange with a half finger of dense white head. Modest amount of lacing.

Nose is mighty strong, with lots of ripe, floral hops, and bright citrus character.

Taste follows the nose, with big fresh juicy fruits, passion fruit, a little grape fruit. Luscious throughout. Finishes with nice pine resin hop, with just a softest bitters too it.

Mouth feel is on the thicker side of medium. Works well with the flavors.

Really a fantastic DIPA. Love all the fruit and flavors. Could have used just a touch more hop on the finish for me, but really phenomenal overall.

4.5/5  rDev +16.3%

I agree with Olmatty on much of his review. The only other thing that I would add is that I found there was a big pine cone scent, and to a lesser degree, taste. Very appealing. First tasted this at the Glens Falls Brewfest this past weekend, then finally found it in Saratoga Springs.

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a nice creamy egg shell colored 1 and a half finger head. Pale golden color, quite clear. Smells quite big of floral, citrus, fruity hops then quite a bit of carmel sweet malts, some bready notes and some pine. Tastes very sweet and carmel at first, a very complex citrus/pine/floral/honey flavor. Very well put together. Light carbonation, medium/full bodied. The finish is some pine and citrus hops, quite a bit of sweet honey and carmel malts. Quite drinkable for 8.6%, very well hidden. Overall this is an awesome double IPA. The highlights are a plesant hoppy, citrus, fuity smell. Some balancing bitterness mid palate, a medium dry finish with a nice honey flavor. $3.20 a single, even at this price I'd pick this up again any day of the week

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Hazy, fuzzy peach colored body. Thin off white heads leaves decent amounts of lace down the glass walls. Nice citric hop aroma. White grapefruit, passion fruit, peach and mango....love what this hop brings to the table. Flavor is all Nelson Sauvin. Love this hop. Citric and tropical. Grapefruit pulp. Apricot. Lemon oil. So flavorful. Clean bitterness. This is a great beer.

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Maybe it was drinking this beer in the sunshine on the first day it was warm enough to wear shorts this year, but this IPA really hit the spot. It's got the intense citrus flavors I really look for in every sip ... and the flavor that lingers after the sip is swallowed stays pleasing unlike how I've found some other of the genre. This is one of my new favorite (double) IPAs and definitely one I'd be happy to drink everyday.

4.47/5  rDev +15.5%

Pours a clear sandy brown with one inch head that laces quite well. Floral, citrus, grapefruit aromas hit first, with a little skunky hops, and sweet pale malt. Easy on the tongue at first, I got tart, floral malt flavors, tasty but not substantial enough to be bready.This is all about the hops. I get hop oil taste and feel, and it's not even wet hopped. The oil flavor is still quite floral and easy going, it doesn't stick around too long. Light in feel, this beer is a bit watery and a bit oily with a wet finish.

Maybe it's because I came into this with low expectations, but this is one of the best DIPA's I've had. And yes, that includes Pliny. Nelson is just a showcase for floral, delicate hops. This imperial IPA doesn't hit you hard, but rather takes it easy and lets you explore the complexity in the hop profile. The malt is light enough to get you straight to the hops, and sweet enough to balance the bitterness. This is the first beer I've had that tasted wet hopped but wasn't clearly labeled as a wet hop beer. I don't have the bottling date because I recycled it soon after drinking it, but it had to be fresh to taste this good. This one is a keeper.

4.46/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drank in a tulip from a bomber
Beautiful orange color, nice lacing, tight head.

Smell was subdued. Not a sniffing beer.

Solid West Coast Imp. IPA. Citrus (Pineapple?) on the front end, balanced on the back. Nice finish.

Mouthfeel is tops helf. Tight carbonation that doesn't get in the way.

A super lefty IPA. Those who enjoy the west coast micros will enjoy this one.

4.45/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Crystal clear butterscotch orange with an off white light filmy head. The nose is all citrus all the time! Mandrin and tropical fruits explode from the glass. Very nice, refreshing and inviting. The taste is mandrin orange and tangerine with a touch of pine. This is definitely a North West IPA. The mouthfeel is semi dry with a slight tang and a bit of an oily feel. This is a really nice ale and I find myself enjoying it immensely. Very bright, very fresh, very good.

4.45/5  rDev +15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Bottle poured into glass...
A - slightly cloudy amber with a small head and some lacing
S - excellent fruity and hoppy aroma
T - bitter with strong hop aftertaste. Malt taste is present, but mild as the overriding profile is from the hops
M - slightly creamy mouthfeel
O - fantastic beer with strong flavor and great taste. Excellent beer. I wish it was more widely available.

Nelson Imperial IPA from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company