Nelson Imperial IPA | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Original Gravity : 21 Plato
Malts: 2-Row Pale, Carapils, Caramel 10-L
Hops: Alchemy, Nelson Sauvin, Cascade, Willamette

Added by msubulldog25 on 01-08-2010

Deadlift is one of my top 5 favorite Imperial IPAs!!! Widmer brothers really nailed this one. The imported Nelson Sauvin hops from New Zealand really gives it a unique berry-like taste that really finishes nicely! The tap handle for Deadlift is also my favorite!

4.95/5  rDev +26.6%

Presentation: Poured into a pint glass on 'pint night' at the Flying Saucer in Columbia, SC

A: Beautiful, clear, golden-orange amber color with a nice thick 2-1/2 finger, off-white head. Fluffy, heavy, thick lacing.

S: Citrus, piney hops. Really nice! Some mild sweetness from the malts.

T&M: Full bodied. You can tell it's thickness when you pour. Well-balanced with hops and malts. Earthy, piney, citrusy taste that explodes as it fades to a semi-dry, oily hop finish. The hop bitterness is definitely there, but subdued perfectly with the malt sweetness.

Great stuff. They better keep it as a 'regular' pour at the Saucer or I'll have to cease and desist as a regular. ;)

4.84/5  rDev +23.8%

4.8/5  rDev +22.8%

All in all one of my favorite imperial IPAs recently. This beer is not too much on the malt side or on the hop. The Nelson Sauvin hops are a new favorite of mine and I will always buy anything mentioning this fine hop breed on the label. Impressed me significantly more than the Pitch Black IPA, which was by no means less than satisfactory. Keep it up Widmer Bros et al. Awesome option for the hophead desiring higher abv.

4.77/5  rDev +22%

More bottles from my latest Philly run. I am feeling adventurous today and may try to eradicate the bottle backlog that has been an albatross since school started back.

From the bottle: "Series 924"; "'Prost! Or if you prefer, Haka.'"; "Hopped to Perfection".

Before I begin to describe the head coming off of the pour, let me tell you about the nose. It was astounding! I have been a self-avowed hophead for some time, but this acted like air freshener in the room. It was pungently floral and my mouth was watering in anticipation as a result. The two dense, rocky fingers of eggnog-colored head sat there and defied me to disturb them. No problem! I was quite content to sit there and let the aroma fill my sinus cavity. Notes of orange zest, lemon peel, fresh mown grass and caramel malt satiated me nicely. Color was a golden-amber, the color some people tan to or like a chicken's skin when you know that it is ready to come off of the rotisserie, along with NE-quality clarity. As the head slowly fell, sticky lacing remained in its wake. My first sip and I heard the singing of angels as the hops went to work on my tongue, scrubbing away dead and unused taste buds to enhance my enjoyment. Mouthfeel was medium and the citrus fruit flavors were just wonderful. This simply reaffirmed my decision to be a hophead. It was not too bitter, nor too malty, either. This was Goldilocks beer - just right. Finish was dry, but not gaspingly dry, allowing me to savor the taste that much longer.

S**t, I forgot! I am no longer a hophead but a hops junkie and I haven't fixed for a while! Now, the singing has changed to the screeching of a monkey on my back. I gotta go score, man.

4.76/5  rDev +21.7%

Appearance: Pours an awesome golden orange color…lots of bubbles dancing on the inside…head is just off white, about a finger width thick and somewhat lasting…(4.25/5)

Smell: Mmmm…citrus hop boom to the nose…very rich and lively aroma…it’s more hoppy than citrus which I like…smells of fresh hops bursting out of the glass making my mouth water…(5/5)

Taste: Complex flavor here…citrus and piney hops all over, but this one is deep and very tasty…sweet malts are evident, certainly not lost on the tongue…cascade hops definitely in there…a fruity sweet after taste lingers…though it’s an imperial, the alcohol isn’t a major factor in the flavor and is only noticeable by the growing grin on my face…very tasty, excellent finish…(5/5)

Mouthfeel: A watery full bodied beer (if that makes sense)…carbonation is medium with a little bite to it...citrus and malt all over the palette…fresh, crisp and lingering…not overly bitter anywhere…(4/5)

Overall: Fantastic beer…love the hops but appreciate the discreet nature of the ABV…flavor all over the place here with enough hops for the heads but plenty of malt balance for the beer snob…it’s citrusy without being lemony or overly zesty in any way, which for me adds to it’s drinkability…I will definitely get this one again and set it aside for a later date…highly recommended for sipping on during MNF or really anytime…(4.5/5)

Nelson Imperial IPA from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company