W'12 Dark Saison | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Malts: 2-Row Pale, White Wheat, Caramel 120L, Vienna, Dark Chocolate
Hops: Alchemy, Saaz

Added by leedorham on 12-31-2011

2.43/5  rDev -28.7%

Pours a layer of beige head. Color is a caramel hued copper.

Aroma: Caramel and chocolate. Some saison flavors and belgian yeast. Bananas and cloves. Reminds me more of a dunkelweisse.

Taste: Oddly roasted malts. Chocolate and bananas. Cloves and spices. Yeast. Not very saison like. Malty with some fruits.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Ends dry.

Overall, this wasn't anything like a saison. It was more like a german dunkelweisse so I have no idea what happened with this beer. It is okay if you don't think of it as a saison.

2.44/5  rDev -28.4%

16 ounce pint - $6.50 at Taco Mac in Canton, Georgia.

Appearance: Lightly hazed, dark coppery-brown body with a half inch of near white foam depositing creamyish lace on the descent.

Smell: Grainy, spiced nose atop pale malts with a cautious sniff of a discarded fruity bubble gum wrapper. It's lacking, it's unappealing. Waiter!

Taste: Grainy-tasting toasted pale malts, also with a little smidge of wheat. Then, a generous helping of ground peppery spices and a taste like stale strawberry-flavored chewing gum. Lightly hopped, some bitterness. Semi-dry, chewing gum finish. Check, please!

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Just a hair above medium carbonation.

Overall: I was in the mood for a good, albeit dark saison and this just didn't deliver. At all. Actually, it didn't feel particularly saisonesque.

2.49/5  rDev -27%

A- dark amber color, clarity is medium.

S root beer raisiney smell. Slight vanilla in there. Smells kinda bland. Somewhat soapy like as well.

T- I don't know if I'm labeling this right but I'm getting bitter root beer with tobacco like notes as well. Little almost homebrew like taste at the end. Not digging it too much.

M- pretty thick with a touch of carbonation on the way down.

O- anything with the name widmer on it for me is pretty solid. Their drifter pale ale was my first favorite beer and was the beer that was responsible for showing me the beautiful world of beers, so I always got widmers back! They got a special place in my heart. But sadly, I have discovered my least favorite beer by them. Sorry widmer, but I don't recommend this one.

2.53/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Pours a hazlenut color, minimal head that dies off quick, no carbonation, and a very thin lacing ring - looks more like a barleywine by the color.

S - Faded aroma, light Belgian funk, bready light carmel malt, cloves, and a little bit of spice.

T - Banana, cloves, spice, bready caramel malt, light funky earth.

M - Thick, biscuity/bready, and malty for a saison. Mellow carbonation on the palette.

O - I feel like I'm drinking a dark German wheat beer with a slight bit of tart funk. Had it been called something else and not a Saison I may have reviewed it differently.

2.65/5  rDev -22.3%

What do we expect in a saison? This is it in a light version. A good mass produced version of it. Lot's of clover, hints of caramel. Great starter beer for this category, especially for those just being introduced to it.

I gave mouth feel a low rating because it honestly escapes compared to most saisons. No lingering fruits or herbs. This is surprising, especially looking at the grain bill.

Overall, enjoyable, but Widmer does better.

Cheers

2.73/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.74/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: A very clear dark amber color with a one finger head.
Smell: I did not pick up much of a smell at all.
Taste: I did not pick up much of a taste at all.
Mouthfeel: Pretty light.
Overall: Maybe a good session beer, I'm not picking up a whole lot of taste which I would really expect in a saison. I bought a six pack with high hopes (I don't have much of a saison selection in my area) and am disappointed.

2.74/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A bit sweet on the nose, like caramel and brown sugar. Quite different than what I expected, it does not smell like a typical Saison.

Really nice brown and ruby in color, especially when held to the light. Few carbonation bubbles passing by and no speakable head.

This is very off-putting, it really gives me the impression of being a sour beer, without being sour. It has that really light apple taste, with a tad of funk on the back-end. Highly carbonated and light in body makes this one moderately easy to drink. I probably wouldn't be seeking this one out again.

2.75/5  rDev -19.4%