W'12 Dark Saison | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Malts: 2-Row Pale, White Wheat, Caramel 120L, Vienna, Dark Chocolate
Hops: Alchemy, Saaz

Added by leedorham on 12-31-2011

3.08/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Appearance: Perfectly clear. A rich copper with dark golden hues. Small off-white head has ok retention. Sticky lacing. Creamy and rich.

Smell: Caramel malt sweetness. Tons of Belgian yeast. Clove, banana, touches of bubblegum even. Big sweetness. So much clove. Candi sugar. Peppercorns. Vaguely breast. Very yeast and spice heavy. A bit of roasted malt adds character.

Taste: Big yeast and sweetness. Clove and ripe banana. So much clove. Sweet caramel malt presence. Cooked and caramelized malts. Bready in small amounts. Underlying earthiness coupled with some floral and citrus notes. Mild hopping. So very Belgian. Almost cola-like sweetness. Caramel and something akin to honey in the back. Vaguely spicy outside of clove.

Mouthfeel: Body runs on the lighter side of medium with a moderate carbonation. Minor dryness on the finish.

Overall: I think I missed the part where they made a saison.

A Belgian dark ale of sorts. Missed a saison in character and practice. Actually decent as a Belgian dark but a mess as a saison.

3.59/5  rDev +5.3%

I drank this from an over sized wine glass which allowed the aroma to impact me at 6 inches from my face. Head retention was weak, but the colour was a brilliant oxidized orange I would categorize as copper. While I was impressed by the aroma of meyer lemons, subtle floral hops of delicate white flowers and low to mild sourness, I was slightly less impressed by what was exposed on my palate. Relatively simple, a nice fruity citrus with a light balance of hop flavour in the expression of nutmeg (fitting for the season, as it is the end of November). I suppose I was expecting a bigger bang on the palate. I did taste a nice brown buttered malt that I rather enjoyed which lingered a bit on the finish with a touch of bitterness. Mouthfeel was surprisingly light, but coated my mouth well, adding a subtle tartness.

My overall impression of this beer is that, while it isn't life-changing, I would drink it again. Very easy to drink as a refreshing aperitif to get you going for the rest of the night. I would drink it alone or with a sandwich, because I like sandwiches. But seriously, a mellow smoked gouda; panini with ham, caramelized onions, the aforementioned cheese, spinach and tomatoes; or even a grilled chicken thigh with a reduced mushroom broth/sauce and wild rice.

I would buy a 6 pack of this to serve to my friends to get them ready for the big boys!

3.47/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The color really surprised me as I was expecting it to be black. It actually rests in my glass a deep, clear amber color with around a finger of off white head. The head doesn't last at all and I also don't see many bubbles raising up through the beer, which both hurt its score in this category.

S: The aroma is much like a saison with some underlying roast and malt. Light spice, lemon, wheat, and what I'm equating to roast. Basically, I'm getting saison and a nice, new underlying aroma I can't quite place.

T: The taste is right on par with a saison with the malt lingering on the backend. The lemon and sweetness is up front, with the spices (as they were on the aroma) being very light. The malt provides a nice balance and sits at the very backend.

MF: The beer has a crisp and clean finish. Overall it has a thin to medium body with lower than average carbonation. I found the beer to be really drinkable.

O: I liked this take on the style, which is one that could be hit or miss for me. I didn't think it was great, but I've certainly had worse.

2.74/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A bit sweet on the nose, like caramel and brown sugar. Quite different than what I expected, it does not smell like a typical Saison.

Really nice brown and ruby in color, especially when held to the light. Few carbonation bubbles passing by and no speakable head.

This is very off-putting, it really gives me the impression of being a sour beer, without being sour. It has that really light apple taste, with a tad of funk on the back-end. Highly carbonated and light in body makes this one moderately easy to drink. I probably wouldn't be seeking this one out again.

3.12/5  rDev -8.5%

Deep, mildly cloudy browned amber with a short off-white head.Weak retention, with long legs on the glass. Caramel malts, coffee beans and sour fruit on the aroma with sweet, mildly spicy undertones. Big carbonated punch of fermented fruits including oranges, plums, dates with a solid malty backbone. Overall body has lots of darker fruits and molasses-like flavors with a sticky, milky mouthfeel. Chocolate, heavy cream and Finish is on the sweet side, mild hop bitterness. Not what I had anticipated for a saison necessarily, but decent nonetheless.

Widmer Dark Saison: Well, I am not sure what a saison is, but none the less, I can give my impression of this beer. Body is a mahogany color, with a touch of red if held up to the light. The head is thin, but holds up well. The aroma is faint, but lets you know there are some Belgian strains of yeast at work. The flavor is distinctly tea, with a hint of cherry in the background. Again, some Belgian yeast makes an appearance. Overall, quite different from an average beer. I enjoyed it as something different, but it will not enter into my rotation of favorite beers. If I am in the mood for something in a Belgian style, there are many better options out there.

3.76/5  rDev +10.3%

a burgundy pour with 1" white head which quickly dissipated.
smells of yeast, citrus, roasted grains.
the taste is surprisingly sweet, yet refreshing like most saisons.. very subtle flavors of sweet malt, lemon, pepper, banana.
light body+, slightly creamy on lips, high carbonation.
a fantastic saison! we just started getting widmer in nj, i believe, but i ordered this from halftime because it was something i haven't seen around here. glad i did!

W'12 Dark Saison from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company