Raspberry Russian Imperial Stout | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

widmer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by smulkowski on 03-25-2012

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle from 2012. Pours a very dark brown, not quite black with some ruby hues. Nice khaki head leaves some respectable lacing on the glass.

Definite raspberry aroma wafting from the glass. Further inspection reveals a sweet burnt-sugar-like sweetness with hints of alcohol. Maybe some chocolate malts as we'll.

Raspberry tartness melds into sweet malts and a burnt sugar taste with some boozy warming aspects on the way down. Solid roasted malt backbone produces some espresso-like flavors.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Medium viscosity.

I think this one works. The raspberry element seems to blend in pretty well. I'm glad I took a chance with it. Have not tried one fresh, but this was drinking nicely after a year or so.

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip glass.

Pours a dark chocolate brown with an initially clear white head that fades to brown. The viscosity looked more like a porter than a stout.

A nice raspberry smell up front with the burnt malts towards the end. The raspberry smell is quite nice - I didn't find it overpowering.

If I'm grading this as an imperial stout, this fell short of expectations. The characteristics were more along the lines of a porter. Outside of the raspberry taste, I didn't find any other complexities to the beer.

Sweet up front that fades to the bitty burnt malt taste. Tartness lasts throughout.

I do not think I would buy this again.

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance - It looked black enough to be a Russian Imperial Stout. Let's allow the comparison to end there.

Smell - This Russian Imperial Stout smelled like a raspberry candle or air freshener. The smell certainly did not make me want to drink the beer.

Taste - At the front, I detected burnt chocolate malt. The raspberry notes very faint and seemed very artificial. It tasted more like raspberry flavoring than raspberries. If there was an intention to make an imperial stout with a sweet fruitiness, this beer has a serious lack of sweetness.

Mouthfeel - There was a degree of thickness, but I would certainly not qualify it as motor oil thickness.

Overall - I told my brother not to buy this one. He did not listen. Now you can listen to me: You need not buy this one.

4.13/5  rDev +14.4%

A: The beer looks a bit more like an imperial porter than a stout, a somewhat opaque dark brown with a reddish golden edge when held to the light. The head—once it warms a bit—is pretty good, a manila-colored, frothy, sticky inch or so with good retention.

S: I loved the smell of this beer. The initial wave is a burst of tart raspberry, fresh, real, and juicy—delicious. It's followed by a chocolate and burnt coffee dark malt, some brown sugar, and a bit of bitter smoke. It all mixed together beautifully, in my book.

T: A bit of a mixed bag here. The raspberry flavor was outstanding, again real, fresh and wonderfully tangy. The stout was, IMO, a bit underpowered. The chocolate and roasty dark malt was there, but it just didn't quite have enough heft to really balance out the berries, and the bitter coffee-like finish seemed to fight the raspberry rather than complement it.

M: This is where the beer didn't quite get it right. Again, it really need a bit more weight and body. The carbonation was mild and fine, but it really lacked the heavy, creamy, dense smoothness of some of the better imperial stouts.

O: Overall, I'm still a big fan of this beer—the berry flavor is fantastic and really works well with a stout flavor profile. If it were paired to a fuller, richer stout, it would really be a top-tier beer.

3.49/5  rDev -3.3%

Bottle from Gator Beverage. Pours dark brown to black with one finger kahki head. Looks thin for the style, but maybe just me eyes playing tricks. Aroma is roasted grains, bit of chocolate, and what smells like rotted fruit. I got a similar aroma from Dark Horse Tres. Pretty thick mouthfeel. Roasted chocolate up front, followed by some radpberry, then finishes with lots of bittersweet chocolate. This is not nearly as offensive as Tres and the raspberry provides a subtle flavor that doesn’t linger too much. Medium carbonation and a pretty good beer. Expected this to be very sweet, but it is more bitter than sweet. Maybe feuit is better for a sweet stout. I still don’t think the fruit helps anything. This seems like an excellent base stout with no need for it.

2.65/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1

Bottled in March 2012

Pours out black with ruby highlights. Head is khaki with a pink tinge. Smells of roasted malts, raspberries and ethanol. Taste is so strong with raspberries. Lots of roast and ashy burnt taste. Kind of works but kind of clashes. Lots of burnt in the aftertaste with a sickly sweet fruitiness. The mouthfeel is nice. Kind of full with creaminess. This is kind of hard to drink.

3.43/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Picked up a bottle of the 2012 edition of this beer today- bottle says "MAR 12 12" on it. Only had it in the fridge for a few hours before I opened it up, seemed like it was just about the perfect temperature, not too cold.

A: Pours very dark, with an inch of foam on top. About 1/8" of foam lasted throughout.

S: Aroma is strong with raspberry puree or jam

T: Notes of bittersweet chocolate and hops are in each sip. Strong, artificial tasting raspberry flavor is also impossible to miss

M: A mix of hoppy carbonation hits me and dries my mouth out a little

O: I had much higher hopes for this beer. I think I got it confused with another Widmer Bros beer I was looking for when I picked this up. Overall, this reminds me of one of those truffles that comes in the Whitman Samplers chocolates- dark chocolate w/ raspberry filling.

1.5/5  rDev -58.4%