Omission Lager (Gluten-Free) | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Lager (Gluten-Free)Omission Lager (Gluten-Free)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company
Oregon, United States
widmer.com

Style: American Pale Lager

Added by Docer on 04-10-2012

3.13/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.19/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

3.3/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.87/5  rDev -11.4%

3.16/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Rating this without a GF curve. Among those only, one of the best I've had, and decidedly better than the pale ale offering from Widmer. Though you can definitely notice the adjuncts they're using, the body in particular is much better than most GFs.

3.5/5  rDev +8%

Good lager. Don't miss the gluten.

2.94/5  rDev -9.3%

3.75/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2.57/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

3.49/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.3/5  rDev +32.7%

I should feel crappy more often! I felt really nauseous and under the weather on Friday and decided not to stir out of my humble abode over the weekend. Fortunately for me, I have a massive backlog of beer awaiting review and I turned to the gluten-free beers in the hopes that I would feel better. It seems to have worked as I have run through a bunch of them and I feel somewhat better, if not perfect.

From the bottle: "It isn't just what we took out, it's what we left in[.]

Apparently, they also left out punctuation! I Pop!ped the cap and began a hard pour, which netted me ~ three fingers of foamy, bone-white head with limited retention. Color was a crystal-clear Pale-Straw (SRM = 1 - 2). Nose had the honey-like sweetness that I usually associate with Lagers, but this was supposed to be G-F. WTF?!? Mind = blown. Mouthfeel was medium. Taste was reminiscent of summers on the farm - honey, hay, mown grass. Clean, light, easy-drinking, this was better than many AALs that I have been exposed to and it is G-F! Holy ... Finish was clean, semi-sweet and unquestionably the best of the lot so far.

3.59/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.45/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

3.08/5  rDev -4.9%

4.13/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Sampling right now on 2/7/15. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a pint glass. On side of label: "Oct 30 14" which I am sure it was the born on date and not expired by date.

Brew pours a clear straw-yellow in color with a thin foamy/fizzy head that settles down to mostly around the sides of the glass in less than 10 minutes. Ring-lacing is seen at first then slides back down after a few sips. The aroma is of grains for the most part with a light hint of corn also. More going on with the flavor as this actually doesn't taste like the typical 'Pale Ale' and even leaning towards a Hefeweizen (wheat beer) even. Great taste and goes down easy. No harsh or bitter aftertaste at all unlike some pale ales. Tasty brew. Lighter+ bodied with good carbonation. Overall I liked this one and don't care if if is "Gluten-Free" or not.

3.81/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I guess the catch here is gluten free? Doesn't apply to me, but we will see how it goes.

Appearance : fluffy, webby head - stark white in appearance, very small head. Body is pale straw in appearance.

Aroma : sweet, hoppy wheat aroma! This is nice. Some rice. Slight soapiness. Nice bouquet.

Flavor : lots going on here. Honey sweetened wheat, rye, light oatmeal, braided honey pretzel. Biscuit malts. I like what's going on here, it's different than any other lager and borders on a pale wheat ale or a honey Weiss. In fact if they caled this "honey lager" it would be an accurate name.

Mouthfeel : zippy, light bodied, lightly creamy.

Overall : this surprised me. I can't help but view it throught the lens of gimmick by being gluten free, but on its own it's just a damn good lager. I like it and would have it again.

2.41/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12 OZ bottle into a mug. Terrible, skunky is the highlight of this beer. Actually the appearance is ok. That is the best I can say.

Omission Lager (Gluten-Free) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company