Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)
Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)
Beer Geek Stats: | Print Shelf Talker

Wants
Gots
SCORE
Okay
Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)
Notes:
Reviews: 122 | Ratings: 631
2.6/5  rDev -22.6%

From old, undated notes. Poured from the bottle.

Dark orange; see through.

Bright white, frothy head. Nice lacing.

Subtle citrus in the nose; hint of malts as well. Nice balance.

Thin mouthfeel.

Hops take a backseat on the flavor; I'd guess this was a corn-fed macro lager. Slight bite, but this just isn't very good.

It's a gluten-free beer; hopefully they're not all this bad.

3.47/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Pours deeper orange red with a fluffy white head. Smells of weak hop aromas with some sweet grain. Tastes of malty sweet grain with slight citrus hops. Beer is light bodied and easy drinking, good carbonation. Overall, a slightly above average beer.

3.34/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Overall, a good pale ale. Poured from a bottle into a large chalice.

Golden yellow color with a decent head and lacing. Fairly classic pale ale profile. Subdued grassy smell and taste. Nice malt background. Decent with food.

3.28/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

L:. Pours a copper orange color with a small white head and rings of lacing all around the glass.

S:. Earthy and piney hops, some caramel, doesn't really stand out.

T:. Earthy and piney with some caramel and a light to medium bitterness. Nothing really stands out.

F:. Medium to light body, decent carbonation.

O:. This is a fairly average pale ale.

2.15/5  rDev -36%

12oz bottle poured into Duvel tulip. JUL2018 printed on bottom right corner of label. $1.75 for a single.

Appearance - Clear medium amber-brown body with decent carbonation. Pours a very large seafoamy eggshell white head with moderate-low retention and patchy but sticky lacing. 4

Smell - Roasted malt with faint floral undertones. Overripe banana. 4

Taste - Prominent nut and malt. Noticeable alcohol. And it's all downhill from here. Leaves a very unpleasant burned toast aftertaste that you notice even in the body. And it only gets worse as you keep drinking. 1.25

Mouthfeel - Creamy but has a good kick. But leaves the mouth feeling a bit sticky and has a slightly off, astringent finish that builds up. Not very pleasant. 1.5

Overall - This is the 3rd Omission beer I've rated. The other two were surprisingly enjoyable, this one is very subpar both by comparison to those and even as a beer in general. I wonder if that date printed on the label is the born on date, or the best by date. Because if it's 2 months overdue, that would explain the unpleasantness. 1.5

2.49/5  rDev -25.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Tastes like it was brewed with dirty pennies and blood. For me, the smell was only slightly metallic, but the taste was much more extreme. I've been a beer aficionado and have referred to beer advocate for guidance for years, but tasting this beer is what drove me to get a username because I just can't with this one. The Omission IPA, though, I really like! Distributor was out of IPA this time and I figured they couldn't go wrong with the pale ale, but I was wrong. Not for me and never again.

3.63/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Omission Brewing Company "Omission Pale Ale"
12 fl. oz. brown glass bottle, coded "11:55 03 MAY1018" and sampled on JUL3118
$2 @ Giant, Havertown, PA

Notes via stream of consciousness: It's poured a crystal clear amber body beneath a finger-thick head of off-white foam that seems to be steadily dropping. ... ... ... I've waited just a few moments now and the head has dropped to a collar, not a good start. The aroma is grainy, and perhaps a bit caramelish and toasty. Did the label not say "hoppy"? Yes it did, perhaps the hops are in the flavor. Not that there aren't any hops in the aroma, but they're only there in the background, mainly floral and subtly fruity. On to the flavor... it's as the aroma indicates, grainy, lightly caramelish, and subtly toasty. It reminds me more of a Vienna lager than a pale ale, but that's kind of nit-picking on the malt, it still works as a pale ale. There is something odd about the malt though that I can't describe as I'm not familiar with what it is. The closest I can say is that it tastes kind of like a beer brewed with sorghum although I didn't think that this was, I'm just throwing that out there as the only connection I can make. There are more hops in the flavor, citrusy (lemon and orange), piney, floral and grassy. It's fairly bitter, and that comes out in the dry finish with some residual malt fading to leave some lingering "orange marmalade" and pine. In the mouth it's medium-light in body and gently effervescent and crisp. It has some very nice fine bubbles and I'm surprised the head didn't hold up better, and I should also note that the lacing is pretty limited and poor. I'm guessing however that both head retention and lacing have something to do with gluten so maybe that's why. Overall it's decent enough.
Review# 6,172

3.31/5  rDev -1.5%

I have no idea what people are reviewing. Bought a fresh 6 pack
Its a Pale Ale. Its not an IPA.
Color Golden Cooper - Crystal clear no sign of any cloudiness
Pours nice head that fades too lace. Lots of small long lasting bubbles - IE exactly too style
tastes - citrus ( Citra hops) with sweat amber. I do detect a slight metallic caramel finish not overly hopped but in style
feel This ale feels like its a 4/5% not a 5.8 - maybe it the gluten free proccess
Overall a better than expected Gluten free Pale ale to style
would buy again

3.07/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Type: 12.0-oz. bottle
Glass: Lagunitas mason jar
From: Left over from the in-laws
Price: N/A
Purchased: N/A; Received March 12, 2017
Consumed: March 15, 2017
Reviewed as: American Pale Ale
Misc.: Bottled on July 29, 2016

Had this after the Gellar’s left this and a few others at a recent birthday party for my daughter. Had the lager version of this awhile back and gave it a 3.35. Having less hope for this one, especially since it’s almost 20 months old.

Poured a copper amber clear color with three fingers of frothy off-white head. Lots of bubbles coming up from the bottom of the glass, looking like a snow globe. Outstanding uneven foamy lacing. World-class retention. (Sight - 4.25)

Smelled lemon, floral, toasted caramel, leafy grass and some orange family flavors. Better than I thought with how old it was. (Smell - 3.50)

Less tasteful flavors on the taste than the smell. More malty than the nose. Got floral, caramel, hints of toffee, lemon, spoiled orange rind, thin woody pine needles and honey. (Taste - 2.75)

Light body. Thin texture. Average carbonation. Dry, citrusy finish. (Feel - 2.75)

Well it wasn’t the worst beer I’ve ever had. I will try to come back to it and have it fresher, but I certainly will no buy it. (Overall - 3.00)

3.07 | 70 | C+

3.34/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottled 8/31/16 so this may be impacting the end result, also was bought as a single bottle/mix n match six pack. First try of a 'gluten-free' beer...although they have a disclaimer that goes into detail about how they can't truly state there is no gluten in the beer. Anyways....nice amber color that isn't hazy but has some light distortion to it. The first scent i detected was wheat followed by faint honey and barley. Taste and feel is more of a lager to me than pale ale with the exception of a mildly bitter hop finish. Decent body, nothing formidable but not thin either. All in all a slightly above average beer that I don't expect will leave a lasting impression but would certainly consider trying some of Omission's other styles.

3.35/5  rDev -0.3%

Look- Dark golden to Amber. No head
Smell-Faint hops and citrus
Taste- Bland. Taste similar to nose. Quick faint taste of hops and citrus.
Feel- Light bodied.
Overall- Decent. Darker and stronger than a normal pale ale but not bad for a gluten free beer.

3.35/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not a very delightful brew, but it holds its own on the nose. It's slightly hoppy, with a muffled grapefruit and citrus but missing a lot of the malty, wheatier notes. Granted it's a gluten-free brew, I think the nose makes up for the drink's underwhelming first impression. It's in the nose that you get the warm, maltier taste which is completely missing from the sip. The citrus also brightens and shows form after the drink is gone.

3.56/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a murky, darker golden coor. The head wasn't too thick, but it was frothy - some lacing. The nose is interesting - some sweetness to it. The taste is hoppy, but not overly so. None of the sweetness in the nose in the flavor. I've had gluten free beers before, and they weren't good - this one is. I will gladly have more.

3.35/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Not what I was expecting, but a decent beer nonetheless. Slight bitterness, but nowhere near what I think of an IPA. But, I'm a novice beer drinker just looking for variety & something different. It's also my first gluten free beer, & I didn't even realize it was. The flavor's good, color is a nice copper. Little to no head, so the carbonation is almost nil, like a nitro. It's a good beer with a mild flavor that doesn't leave my mouth dryer than the Sahara. Lol. Not terrible, but not great either. I'd drink it again if it was offered, but would most likely not get again. It's a decent beer with decent flavor, feel, & taste.

3.46/5  rDev +3%

I'd like to offer a modest, and honest opinion on this beer. A lot of people are bashing it and I'm not so sure why. My inclination is snobbery. Look, looks great! Copper as most people say, with little (if any) lacing. The color can be a touch misleading, I expected something with more bite and bitter. Personally, the smell doesn't do much for me, then again I smoke and probably shouldn't offer too much opinion on smell. The taste, unlike what many have said, is not bad, is not bitter and is quite nice to me. I drink IPA, and stout usually. It is what I (and others here) would call thin but that isn't always bad. Refreshing, and enjoyable especially on a hot day. I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up if it was offered to me. If I didn't know it to be gluten free, which is why I serve it, I would never know. The mouth feel is faint, with just enough carbonation. In conclusion, it is very easy to be critical of beer in a new craft world, but let's rate this beer for what it is. A gluten free beer will obviously "miss something". But for those who can't drink any beer on the shelf, this will please. In my opinion this far surpasses Redbridge. If you want a complex beer experience full of adventure and distinguished notes then this beer wasn't made for you. It was made for those who cannot consume gluten yet still wish to enjoy beer. Overall, this is a good beer. The flavor is nice, even if short lived. A bit tame, but certainly enjoyable. Sometimes simple is best. This is one of those times.

3.56/5  rDev +6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer is at least 2 years old and has beenin the back of the fridge the entire time, so take the review with a grain of salt. 5.8% ABV, no specs per the website. Pours out to a crystal clear medium amber, forming a modest off yellow head with good retention and lacing. Carbonation is moderate, 2.5 carbs. The nose has some ncie grain husk, apple esters, and probably cascade hops. Mouthfeel is very smooth, medium-light bodied, with a nice herbal bitterness and finishing dry. The taste is standard pale/amber ale fare with a nice grainy body, well balanced bitterness and pleasant hop flavor.

Considering that this is gluten free, I was expecting a thin sorghumy beer, but this actually pretty damn close to malted barley and is a really full flavored easy to drink option for gluten senstive individuals that doesn't taste like crap.

2.47/5  rDev -26.5%

Pours light orange with little head or lacing, almost looking thickish in glass. Smells of honey and faint floral hops. Tastes and feel is very strange: very honey-forward, almost mead-ish and faint hop aroma near end. I saw another reviewer say it goes from "thick to thin" in your mouth and I'd have to agree, no real better way to describe it. Overall I would not drink this beer again. It was the first gluten-free beer I've ever had and the mead quality to it turns me off. I would describe it more like a Honey Brown clone than anything.

1.74/5  rDev -48.2%

Worst thing I' ve ever tasted!!!!! Extremely bitter, strange aftertaste!
Among the gluten free beers out there Redbridge by Anheiser Busch is the closest thing to reel beer that I've tasted so far. And it is absolutely, completely gluten free. It was recommended to me and I was pleasantly surprised. I've had regular beer drinkers taste it and they always say "hmm, not bad"

So if you want gluten free don't waste your money on Omission. They can't even guarantee that it IS gluten free. Why even make it. It is worse than vomit aftertaste.

2.73/5  rDev -18.8%

After a gluten intolerance (no celiac) diagnosis recently I've been super bummed. My wife let me rinse some Surly Abrasive around in my mouth before spitting it into the sink. This was not only ridiculous but torment-full.
A little online research brought me to Omission.

Picked up a 6 pack of brown bottles from Zipps in Minneapolis for $9.

Wall poured into a Sam Adams Turbulator, producing an inch of white froth, settling to leave a skim of head and decent amounts of lace. Copper transparent color.

Aroma has me let down and I'm real hopeful right now that the flavors will carry me through this medical debacle. Its not that the aroma is bad, it just resembles a multi year aged SN Celebration. Honey drenched Baklava is really all I'm getting.
Taste aint bad folks, I haven't consumed a decent real beer in a while. That wine crap can go, because this will do it for me!
To really rate this beer as a regular 'ol beer I wouldn't rate flavor beyond a 2. Being that this is the only stuff my body can handle (it's just not worth the pain) I'm impressed. Sorghum beers are eff'ing awful. This delivers a fair amount of hop bite, bitter pine that lingers alongside that honey malt flavor and I cant even really call it malt... I mean, it reminds me of what a malty ipa might taste like. Flavors drop fairly quick after swallow and there is a slight metallic off taste and salty peanut shells without the peanuts.

Mouth feel is thin, it's like carbonated hop water with a wee tiny amount of something full bodied for an instant and then flatness.

Overall though this is a great offering to the gluten intolerant and I'm really happy there is stuff like this out there to fill the beer void that I'm experiencing.

I enjoyed this beer a lot for what it's worth.

2.43/5  rDev -27.7%

Had poured from 12 oz bottle into glass. Gluten removal process left this beer lifeless and flat. Do not recommend unless you are gluten free and want a very small reminder of beer

3.58/5  rDev +6.5%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 5/26/2015. Pours slightly hazy orange/amber color with a 1-2 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Aromas of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, light pine, caramel, toasted biscuit, and floral/grassy earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of citrus hops and moderate dark/bready malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, light pine, caramel, toasted biscuit, and floral/grassy earthiness. Light-medium pine/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon/orange peel, pine, caramel, toasted biscuit, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus hops and moderate dark/bready malt flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Lightly drying on the finish from bitterness as well. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth and moderately creamy/bready/sticky balanced mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a good gluten reduced pale ale style. All around good complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus hops and moderate dark/bready malt flavors; and very smooth and easy to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.74/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle in a pilsner style glass.

Pours a golden orange color with a 1F white head, quick drop to a film and leaves a bit of lacing.

Light hop aroma, like a German lager. Grains, some caramel.

Light malt-ish flavor, caramel. Floral hops.

Pretty sturdy body with a decent hop bite and finish.

This is my first GF beer and it's better than expected. Not a bad starting point for the style but the lack of wheat, barley, or rye is clearly evident. It rates well for what it has.

2.88/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Meh. This one was nice and easy to drink. It would be great on a summer day, but there just wasn't much flavor. I didn't get any hoppiness or character at all. Almost drinks like a Bud Light.

3.8/5  rDev +13.1%

I was excited to try this, my first ever gluten free beer. From what I've read, this is the best of the lot. But honestly, I was disappointed in the flavor, so used to the deliciousness that a good pale ale can have. Still, I did not experience some of the negative effects of beer that I know and hate, such as becoming very tired after drinking it, and getting a headache. I'd like to think that the absence of these things was a direct result of it being gluten free, in which case, it succeeded admirably.

3.83/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is another gluten-free beer from Widmer Brothers and it looks very much like a beer pouring brilliant gold with a thin white head. It also smells like a beer with fruit, grain and faint hops. On the palate I can tell the barley malt is missing and I miss it.

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company