Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company
Oregon, United States
widmer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Docer on 04-13-2012

Reviews: 111 | Ratings: 581
3.83/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Omission - a pale ale unlike one I've had to date.

The brew pours out a cloudly orangish-brown color, not so appealing. The head is frothy, lite, thin, and short lived, but it had surprising staying power with good lacing. Very nice smell for a pale ale - citrusy, apples, oranges. The beer had just the right amount of carbonation, even though it had the distinct after taste I dislike to IPAs and pale ales. The taste was like most pale ales but at least the taste of oranges and apples came through - a nice touch. Overall, I gave it a good score since it was by far the best smelling and tasting pale ale I've had to date. What ever it is they omitted, more pale ale makers should omit as well.

3.83/5  rDev +13.3%

12 oz. poured into a Duvel tulip

DISCLAIMER: A friend with celiac disease left this over after a party. I've had 2 already, and I actually quite enjoy it. I'm going to review it against other gluten free beers, because it isn't to fair to rate it against "traditional" beers.

A: Brilliant burnt orange with a very nice 2 finger head which left some lace. It looks great, and I'm loving the color.

S: Honestly, it's just okay. I'm only getting hints of hops, otherwise it's a "malt" bomb. I believe this is sorghum based, but I could be wrong. I haven't had very many gluten-free beers, but this one smells decent all things considered. There is an underlying sweetness.

T: Okay, if you had told me this was gluten-free, I would have spit it in your face and called you a filthy liar. There is NOTHING to suggest this is gluten free. Sure, it may be light in flavor, but it's actually really good. I could drink this regularly. I'm not getting a ton of hop quality, but who knows how long this sat on the shelf. There is just a hint of bitterness on the back end, followed by a surprising sweetness that I think plays well with the bitterness. Of all the gluten free beers I've tried, this is the best. There really isn't even a close contender.

M: It's a tad thin, but it has enough carbonation to distract me. It feels kind of oily in a way. Very slick. Nothing offensive to speak of.

O: I consider this a winner based on the fact that I would drink this over some traditional beers. It's very drinkable, and refreshing. If you are rating this beer low, you need to lower your standards for this style. It's a pale ale, and it's the best GF beer on the market (that I have had). In fact, I would drink this over every year round Widmer Brother's offerings.

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a copper color and a clear consistency. There was an inch of foamy head that lasted an average amount of time. Very good lacing.

S: A decent aroma of hops, malt, and some citrus.

T: Tasted basically like it smelled: A moderate amount of hops, light malt in the finish, and citrus as well. Not an overly complex flavor, but still pretty solid and enjoyable.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a smooth, prickly finish. Light-bodied.

O: As far as gluten-free beers go, this one is very drinkable. Not what you would call a stunner, but worth a shot.

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

I was excited to try this, my first ever gluten free beer. From what I've read, this is the best of the lot. But honestly, I was disappointed in the flavor, so used to the deliciousness that a good pale ale can have. Still, I did not experience some of the negative effects of beer that I know and hate, such as becoming very tired after drinking it, and getting a headache. I'd like to think that the absence of these things was a direct result of it being gluten free, in which case, it succeeded admirably.

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Thin head on a hazy amber with golden hues body. Aroma of earthy malts and caramel. Flavors also have more hops than I expected. Mostly earthy and herbal hops with nut and wood notes. Medium body and moderate carbonation. This is a very good gluten free beer from the ones I have had. Little is lost in flavor and the hop character can stand up to many gluten-filled pale ales.

3.77/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I picked this up at Wegmans enjoyed chilled in a goblet from the 12oz

The color is deep copper with thin white cap and tight bead pattern, there is a light hazed appearance. The smell is slightly piney with fruity ester and mild spiced yeast aroma. The feel is a great mix of bitter and mildly sweet with light dry finish with a moderatly high carbonation level.

The taste is good with a nice pine flavor up front from the hops with a subtle dried fruit presence and smidgen of citrus rind with a lingering bitter quality after the swallow. The hops contribute an herbal element in the finish. Overall I found this to be a drinkable pale, drinks like a lighter beer than it is and doesn't taste like other Gluten Free beers I have experienced I would certainly buy this again. I don't know why I passed it by before.

3.76/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I had a colleague who is gluten-free and I told her that I would keep my eye out for G-F beer options and report back to her on my findings. In the interim, I retired from that job and I still have the beers awaiting review. I have not felt perfect these last couple of days, so I thought that I would try something(s) fairly innocuous.

From the bottle: "It isn't just what we took out, it's what we left in[.]

I Pop!ped the cap and gave it a pretty aggressive pour, but I still only would up with a measly finger of foamy, tawny head with limited retention. At least, it left nice lacing before it disappeared. Color was a slightly hazy Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose had a fantastic mintiness and a definite appeal as this G-F weekend winds down for yours truly! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was moderately hoppy, but it tasted as though it had somehow been dialed back to appeal to a non-hophead audience. Still, it was far and away better than many G-F beers that I had tried up to this point. I was really digging the way they had managed to incorporate a moderate hoppiness into a style (? G-F) that until now, I might have written off as being for those with a commitment. Finish was semi-dry and completely satisfying. I would drink this more often if it were not for a concern that I was taking away someone else's rations.

3.76/5  rDev +11.2%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a clear amber with a medium white head, solid head retention, spotty lace.

S: Tropical fruits (passion and pineapple), with some grassiness.

T: Bright fruit flavour, stone fruit with a hint of lime, some orange peel.

M: Crisp carbonation, lightly frothy, light-bodied, fairly robust for a gluten-free beer.

O: I didn't know it was gluten free when I bought it, and in the taste you'd never know. Just a solid APA, not as good as Drifter, but pretty good, up there with Mirror Pond, in fact quite similar.

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Well Ididn't know this was gluten free till i read the label.
A pretty good beer in my opinion. It has a clear copper color with a smaller white head on top. In the aroma I get grains mostly. Like ceral and biscuits. Taste was good. It had a creamy texture with some hoppy character. But mostly it was malty.
A good beer worthy of another.

3.74/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle in a pilsner style glass.

Pours a golden orange color with a 1F white head, quick drop to a film and leaves a bit of lacing.

Light hop aroma, like a German lager. Grains, some caramel.

Light malt-ish flavor, caramel. Floral hops.

Pretty sturdy body with a decent hop bite and finish.

This is my first GF beer and it's better than expected. Not a bad starting point for the style but the lack of wheat, barley, or rye is clearly evident. It rates well for what it has.

3.71/5  rDev +9.8%

Attractive amber in the Pilsner glass. Doesn't smell like much, but pleasant lip-smacking maltiness.

Some rich and malty flavors, more like a pale bock beer. Spicy and moderately hopped. Thoroughly pleasant and warmly flavored. A little butter and slight vegetable flavors. Faintly murky but no real off flavors. Appealing beery in every way.

I hope we don't have to have a special category for no gluten beers, but if we did this would be the gold medal winner. It is interesting in proving that barley is the right grain for making beer. Well, I like wheat and rye too, but let's skip the millet and sorgum.

Widmer proves again they are a top-notch brewery with some of the most capable technology in the business.

3.69/5  rDev +9.2%

Bottled 1 Jul 14 at 35 degrees in a standard pint glass
Aroma of pine
Head average (3 cm), white, frothy, slowly diminishing to 2-4 mm frothy layer
Lacing good – narrow complete rings of tiny bubbles
Body medium orange, clear
Flavor begins with light pine flavor and bitterness, quickly fading; no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3.5, Aroma 3.25, Flavor 4, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.5625. Final weighted score: 3.6875
A piney pleasant pale ale.

3.65/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

For the last year I've confined my beers to gluten-free and my favorite are Widner Omission - Lager, IPA & Ale. The sky blue label is amber ale at 5.8%, with a caramel malt body and a somewhat bitter taste, which I like.

As most say, not bad for gluten-free. I'm not celiac, but like beer and hope for less beer belly. Not sure it works :-)

3.63/5  rDev +7.4%

Omission is a new gluten-free line brewed by Oregon's Widmer Brothers Brewing.

It looks like a normal beer, anyway. The liquid, cranberry-copper, is capped by an inch of tan sea foam that recedes only after a few minutes of waiting. The hops, too, are what you'd expect -- spicy, like grass and herbs. A touch of lime and orange peel meet a sugary, honey-like malt backbone.

But appearance and aroma can be faked -- what about the flavor? The problem is that gluten is the natural byproduct of brewing with barley and wheat, and most attempts to make a beer without those malts taste like crap.

Most gluten-free beers use sorghum as a malt substitute, but Omission Pale Ale is made with Pale, Carapils, Caramel 10 and Dark Munich malts -- the same used in many standard pale ales. The gluten in Omission removed via a proprietary process -- the flavor remains, the gluten doesn't.

Even without gluten, the flavor of this pale ale stays strong. There's not a ton of malt complexity, but the honeyed sweetness deftly balances the grass, orange peel and rose petals of Cascade hops. Moderate bitterness sits on the sides of the tongue while mild carbonation prickles a body that's like 2 percent milk. Nice thickness, with just enough alcohol to numb the tongue and let you know you're drinking real beer.

And it is real beer. If you served this blind, there'd be no telling it was gluten-free. That's all any Celiac can ask for.

3.61/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer was good and it did what it was supposed to. I liked the taste but it was a little... i dunno weak i guess. I wouldn't know I was drinking a gluten free beer.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle, the first Widmer product to make it into the Alberta market, and wouldn't you know it has to be a gluten-free offering.

This beer pours a mildly hazy, medium copper amber colour, with one stout finger of weakly puffy, and mostly just bubbly off-white head, which leaves some attractive ocean spray lace around the glass as it easily slips away.

It smells of reserved bready caramel malt, a soft biscuity graininess, orange cream, understated pine and leafy hop notes, and a tame earthy yeastiness. The taste is more semi-sweet bready caramel malt, dry biscuity saltines, an ethereal orange and neutered grapefruit fruitiness, well-faded yeast, and a surprisingly peppy earthy, leafy, and somewhat grassy hoppiness.

The bubbles are generally active and supportive in their straight-up frothiness, the body a decent medium weight for the style, and a bit too tacky to be deemed particularly smooth. It finishes rather dry, the biscuity nature starting to subsume the whole, as it were.

Another pleasantly rendered gluten-free ale, if it absolutely has to be done. Since they state on the label that this is made with 'malted barley, specially crafted to be gluten-free', I'm gonna lump this in with the enzyme removal method for further classification, since there are still residual (albeit below the governing body's standard) proteins flitting about here.

3.58/5  rDev +5.9%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 5/26/2015. Pours slightly hazy orange/amber color with a 1-2 finger dense off white head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass, with a fair amount of streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Aromas of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, light pine, caramel, toasted biscuit, and floral/grassy earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of citrus hops and moderate dark/bready malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon zest, orange peel, light pine, caramel, toasted biscuit, and floral/grassy earthiness. Light-medium pine/grassy bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, tangerine, lemon/orange peel, pine, caramel, toasted biscuit, and floral/grassy earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus hops and moderate dark/bready malt flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Lightly drying on the finish from bitterness as well. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth and moderately creamy/bready/sticky balanced mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a good gluten reduced pale ale style. All around good complexity, robustness, and balance of citrus hops and moderate dark/bready malt flavors; and very smooth and easy to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.58/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz.

Pours a mostly clear amber color, half inch of fine white head retains as a film.

Smells of caramel and sweet biscuit malts. The sweetness is like agave. Some mild fruity hoppiness at the end.

Tastes of sweet malt, again similar to agave, with some biscuity richness and a very mild hop bitterness.

Medium body with tingly carbonation on the tongue.

I haven't had many, but this is the best gluten-free beer I've had so far. It's very drinkable and tastes pretty good. It still has a bit of that non-glutanized wang to it, but it works overall and I'd even choose to drink it.

3.57/5  rDev +5.6%

New 12oz on the local shelves, I'm in.

A- Pint glass receives an amber pale ale with a creamy white head. The size of the cap is about one finger and retention is decent. Nice spotty lace down and around the glass.

S- An inviting nose lending notes of yeast bread, some sort of grain, citrus fruits and other light fruit like apple. Actually pretty well rounded for any Pale Ale. Hint of tropical fruit is nice.

T- Hops take on more of a presence here. They give hints of citrus zest, pine, earth and floral qualities. The Barley/wheat omission is felt here as the balance is thrown off just a tad. Yeast bread and light fruits hang around on the palate. Not sure what alternate sugar source they use but something grainy and nutty is lingering.

MF- Light bodied and highly carbonated, maybe a bit much as it singes the palate quite a lot. Nice clean bitterness left after sipping.

As far as a Pale Ale goes, this is pretty good. I have not had a ton of gluten free beers but I would certainly recommend this and Celia by the Alchemist to people with intolerance.

3.56/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a murky, darker golden coor. The head wasn't too thick, but it was frothy - some lacing. The nose is interesting - some sweetness to it. The taste is hoppy, but not overly so. None of the sweetness in the nose in the flavor. I've had gluten free beers before, and they weren't good - this one is. I will gladly have more.

3.56/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer is at least 2 years old and has beenin the back of the fridge the entire time, so take the review with a grain of salt. 5.8% ABV, no specs per the website. Pours out to a crystal clear medium amber, forming a modest off yellow head with good retention and lacing. Carbonation is moderate, 2.5 carbs. The nose has some ncie grain husk, apple esters, and probably cascade hops. Mouthfeel is very smooth, medium-light bodied, with a nice herbal bitterness and finishing dry. The taste is standard pale/amber ale fare with a nice grainy body, well balanced bitterness and pleasant hop flavor.

Considering that this is gluten free, I was expecting a thin sorghumy beer, but this actually pretty damn close to malted barley and is a really full flavored easy to drink option for gluten senstive individuals that doesn't taste like crap.

3.54/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours an orange amber color with a tiny head of white foam. The head fades relatively quickly leaving just a trace of foamy lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma is strong of a caramel smell mixed with a bit of a bready aroma. Along with these smells comes some lighter notes of a yeast and a bit of molasses.

Taste – The taste begins with a bready and caramel sweetened taste. As the taste moves forward more and more bready and grainy tastse meet the tongue along with a little bit of a hay and grassy flavor. With a little bit of a fruit flavor of a citrus and pear, one is left with a lightly hopped and moderately malty taste to linger on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is average in thickness with a carbonation level that is a bit on the lower side. For the style the feel is rather decent, although a little bit more carbonation may have been slightly better for the style overall.

Overall – A lighter hopped but rather tasty brew overall. Now I am not adverse to gluten, so its really not one I would likely frequent when given the option of other pales. If you are gluten sensitive though this may be a beer that is right up your alley.

3.54/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This Beer is the greatest Gluten-free beer on the market. I couldn't believe that they could make a gluten free beer this good. I have Celiacs disease and was so excited when I first had this beer. And then I had two, then three, then four. And then my stomach twisted into a giant knot and my brain became super cloudy and my eyes super tired. I had somehow ingested gluten. This beer is NOT Gluten Free! It has very low gluten, but it still has gluten. They brew this beer with gluten ingredients and then "eat" the gluten out with an enzyme, but it does not get it all.
IF you have Celiacs disease do not drink this beer. Even if you only have one and don't feel the affects of the gluten it destroys your intestines and your cancer rate skyrockets.
So, Shame on you Omission for hiding this fact. I'm sure you did your research on Celiac ridden people and if you didn't, shame on you again.

To good to be true..

Dave

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From a bottle with a date of Feb. 9, 2015. If that is the bottled on date it is close to the end of the best by date. Pours hazy pale amber with a small white head and poor retention. Some lacing follows the head in it's decent.
Smell is mainly bready malt.
Taste is bready as well but has a good amount of hops to make it enjoyable. As a regular APA it is middle of the road but if you needed to drink gluten free this is quite good.
Mouthfeel is medium and carbonation is just right.
Overall a good APA . It has a medium bitter finish and not quite crisp but it is refreshing.
My understanding is they brew this as a traditional APA and use micro filtration to remove the gluten. If so why does it have the haze in the appearance?

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle was poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: The beer poured a small head that has reduced quickly to a thin layer. It is a light orange color with crystal clear clarity and plenty of carbonation coming up through the glass.

Smell: pretty light aroma. Some bready and caramel notes along with a little citrus. Understanding that it might be tough for a GF pale ale beer.

Taste: some fruity and citrus notes, caramel, bready, and creamy notes follow

Mouthfeel: smooth, light bodied, medium carbonation, a somewhat extremely easy to drink.

Overall: A good spin on the APA fomrat for being a GF beer. I would drink it again, but there are other ones I would go with over this.

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company