Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company
Oregon, United States
widmer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Docer on 04-13-2012

3.85/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle with a born on date of 8/7/13; into a pint glass.
Appearance - a surprisingly hazy orange. A mild, foamy white head with a bit of red sediment on the foam. Lacing is scattered.
Smell - surprisingly pleasant citrus hops nose, with a touch of sweet bread!
Taste - wow, I'm shocked by how good this is! Refreshing and balanced blend of hops and malts!
Feel - a fairly complex feel that works well for the style.
Overall - this is my first gluten free beer (not having by choice, rather because someone brought it over and left in my fridge!). Needless to say, I'm very pleasantly surprised! An outstanding introduction to a GF brew!

3.84/5  rDev +13.9%

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is another gluten-free beer from Widmer Brothers and it looks very much like a beer pouring brilliant gold with a thin white head. It also smells like a beer with fruit, grain and faint hops. On the palate I can tell the barley malt is missing and I miss it.

3.83/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Omission - a pale ale unlike one I've had to date.

The brew pours out a cloudly orangish-brown color, not so appealing. The head is frothy, lite, thin, and short lived, but it had surprising staying power with good lacing. Very nice smell for a pale ale - citrusy, apples, oranges. The beer had just the right amount of carbonation, even though it had the distinct after taste I dislike to IPAs and pale ales. The taste was like most pale ales but at least the taste of oranges and apples came through - a nice touch. Overall, I gave it a good score since it was by far the best smelling and tasting pale ale I've had to date. What ever it is they omitted, more pale ale makers should omit as well.

12 oz. poured into a Duvel tulip

DISCLAIMER: A friend with celiac disease left this over after a party. I've had 2 already, and I actually quite enjoy it. I'm going to review it against other gluten free beers, because it isn't to fair to rate it against "traditional" beers.

A: Brilliant burnt orange with a very nice 2 finger head which left some lace. It looks great, and I'm loving the color.

S: Honestly, it's just okay. I'm only getting hints of hops, otherwise it's a "malt" bomb. I believe this is sorghum based, but I could be wrong. I haven't had very many gluten-free beers, but this one smells decent all things considered. There is an underlying sweetness.

T: Okay, if you had told me this was gluten-free, I would have spit it in your face and called you a filthy liar. There is NOTHING to suggest this is gluten free. Sure, it may be light in flavor, but it's actually really good. I could drink this regularly. I'm not getting a ton of hop quality, but who knows how long this sat on the shelf. There is just a hint of bitterness on the back end, followed by a surprising sweetness that I think plays well with the bitterness. Of all the gluten free beers I've tried, this is the best. There really isn't even a close contender.

M: It's a tad thin, but it has enough carbonation to distract me. It feels kind of oily in a way. Very slick. Nothing offensive to speak of.

O: I consider this a winner based on the fact that I would drink this over some traditional beers. It's very drinkable, and refreshing. If you are rating this beer low, you need to lower your standards for this style. It's a pale ale, and it's the best GF beer on the market (that I have had). In fact, I would drink this over every year round Widmer Brother's offerings.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.82/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a copper color and a clear consistency. There was an inch of foamy head that lasted an average amount of time. Very good lacing.

S: A decent aroma of hops, malt, and some citrus.

T: Tasted basically like it smelled: A moderate amount of hops, light malt in the finish, and citrus as well. Not an overly complex flavor, but still pretty solid and enjoyable.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a smooth, prickly finish. Light-bodied.

O: As far as gluten-free beers go, this one is very drinkable. Not what you would call a stunner, but worth a shot.

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

I was excited to try this, my first ever gluten free beer. From what I've read, this is the best of the lot. But honestly, I was disappointed in the flavor, so used to the deliciousness that a good pale ale can have. Still, I did not experience some of the negative effects of beer that I know and hate, such as becoming very tired after drinking it, and getting a headache. I'd like to think that the absence of these things was a direct result of it being gluten free, in which case, it succeeded admirably.

3.8/5  rDev +12.8%

Thin head on a hazy amber with golden hues body. Aroma of earthy malts and caramel. Flavors also have more hops than I expected. Mostly earthy and herbal hops with nut and wood notes. Medium body and moderate carbonation. This is a very good gluten free beer from the ones I have had. Little is lost in flavor and the hop character can stand up to many gluten-filled pale ales.

3.79/5  rDev +12.5%

3.77/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.77/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I picked this up at Wegmans enjoyed chilled in a goblet from the 12oz

The color is deep copper with thin white cap and tight bead pattern, there is a light hazed appearance. The smell is slightly piney with fruity ester and mild spiced yeast aroma. The feel is a great mix of bitter and mildly sweet with light dry finish with a moderatly high carbonation level.

The taste is good with a nice pine flavor up front from the hops with a subtle dried fruit presence and smidgen of citrus rind with a lingering bitter quality after the swallow. The hops contribute an herbal element in the finish. Overall I found this to be a drinkable pale, drinks like a lighter beer than it is and doesn't taste like other Gluten Free beers I have experienced I would certainly buy this again. I don't know why I passed it by before.

3.76/5  rDev +11.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I had a colleague who is gluten-free and I told her that I would keep my eye out for G-F beer options and report back to her on my findings. In the interim, I retired from that job and I still have the beers awaiting review. I have not felt perfect these last couple of days, so I thought that I would try something(s) fairly innocuous.

From the bottle: "It isn't just what we took out, it's what we left in[.]

I Pop!ped the cap and gave it a pretty aggressive pour, but I still only would up with a measly finger of foamy, tawny head with limited retention. At least, it left nice lacing before it disappeared. Color was a slightly hazy Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose had a fantastic mintiness and a definite appeal as this G-F weekend winds down for yours truly! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was moderately hoppy, but it tasted as though it had somehow been dialed back to appeal to a non-hophead audience. Still, it was far and away better than many G-F beers that I had tried up to this point. I was really digging the way they had managed to incorporate a moderate hoppiness into a style (? G-F) that until now, I might have written off as being for those with a commitment. Finish was semi-dry and completely satisfying. I would drink this more often if it were not for a concern that I was taking away someone else's rations.

3.76/5  rDev +11.6%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a clear amber with a medium white head, solid head retention, spotty lace.

S: Tropical fruits (passion and pineapple), with some grassiness.

T: Bright fruit flavour, stone fruit with a hint of lime, some orange peel.

M: Crisp carbonation, lightly frothy, light-bodied, fairly robust for a gluten-free beer.

O: I didn't know it was gluten free when I bought it, and in the taste you'd never know. Just a solid APA, not as good as Drifter, but pretty good, up there with Mirror Pond, in fact quite similar.

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company