Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company
Oregon, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Docer on 04-13-2012

Reviews: 110 | Ratings: 574
3.74/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle in a pilsner style glass.

Pours a golden orange color with a 1F white head, quick drop to a film and leaves a bit of lacing.

Light hop aroma, like a German lager. Grains, some caramel.

Light malt-ish flavor, caramel. Floral hops.

Pretty sturdy body with a decent hop bite and finish.

This is my first GF beer and it's better than expected. Not a bad starting point for the style but the lack of wheat, barley, or rye is clearly evident. It rates well for what it has.

3.75/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Well Ididn't know this was gluten free till i read the label.
A pretty good beer in my opinion. It has a clear copper color with a smaller white head on top. In the aroma I get grains mostly. Like ceral and biscuits. Taste was good. It had a creamy texture with some hoppy character. But mostly it was malty.
A good beer worthy of another.

3.76/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I had a colleague who is gluten-free and I told her that I would keep my eye out for G-F beer options and report back to her on my findings. In the interim, I retired from that job and I still have the beers awaiting review. I have not felt perfect these last couple of days, so I thought that I would try something(s) fairly innocuous.

From the bottle: "It isn't just what we took out, it's what we left in[.]

I Pop!ped the cap and gave it a pretty aggressive pour, but I still only would up with a measly finger of foamy, tawny head with limited retention. At least, it left nice lacing before it disappeared. Color was a slightly hazy Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose had a fantastic mintiness and a definite appeal as this G-F weekend winds down for yours truly! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was moderately hoppy, but it tasted as though it had somehow been dialed back to appeal to a non-hophead audience. Still, it was far and away better than many G-F beers that I had tried up to this point. I was really digging the way they had managed to incorporate a moderate hoppiness into a style (? G-F) that until now, I might have written off as being for those with a commitment. Finish was semi-dry and completely satisfying. I would drink this more often if it were not for a concern that I was taking away someone else's rations.

3.76/5  rDev +11.2%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a clear amber with a medium white head, solid head retention, spotty lace.

S: Tropical fruits (passion and pineapple), with some grassiness.

T: Bright fruit flavour, stone fruit with a hint of lime, some orange peel.

M: Crisp carbonation, lightly frothy, light-bodied, fairly robust for a gluten-free beer.

O: I didn't know it was gluten free when I bought it, and in the taste you'd never know. Just a solid APA, not as good as Drifter, but pretty good, up there with Mirror Pond, in fact quite similar.

3.77/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I picked this up at Wegmans enjoyed chilled in a goblet from the 12oz

The color is deep copper with thin white cap and tight bead pattern, there is a light hazed appearance. The smell is slightly piney with fruity ester and mild spiced yeast aroma. The feel is a great mix of bitter and mildly sweet with light dry finish with a moderatly high carbonation level.

The taste is good with a nice pine flavor up front from the hops with a subtle dried fruit presence and smidgen of citrus rind with a lingering bitter quality after the swallow. The hops contribute an herbal element in the finish. Overall I found this to be a drinkable pale, drinks like a lighter beer than it is and doesn't taste like other Gluten Free beers I have experienced I would certainly buy this again. I don't know why I passed it by before.

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a copper color and a clear consistency. There was an inch of foamy head that lasted an average amount of time. Very good lacing.

S: A decent aroma of hops, malt, and some citrus.

T: Tasted basically like it smelled: A moderate amount of hops, light malt in the finish, and citrus as well. Not an overly complex flavor, but still pretty solid and enjoyable.

M: A well-carbonated beer with a smooth, prickly finish. Light-bodied.

O: As far as gluten-free beers go, this one is very drinkable. Not what you would call a stunner, but worth a shot.

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

I was excited to try this, my first ever gluten free beer. From what I've read, this is the best of the lot. But honestly, I was disappointed in the flavor, so used to the deliciousness that a good pale ale can have. Still, I did not experience some of the negative effects of beer that I know and hate, such as becoming very tired after drinking it, and getting a headache. I'd like to think that the absence of these things was a direct result of it being gluten free, in which case, it succeeded admirably.

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Thin head on a hazy amber with golden hues body. Aroma of earthy malts and caramel. Flavors also have more hops than I expected. Mostly earthy and herbal hops with nut and wood notes. Medium body and moderate carbonation. This is a very good gluten free beer from the ones I have had. Little is lost in flavor and the hop character can stand up to many gluten-filled pale ales.

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is another gluten-free beer from Widmer Brothers and it looks very much like a beer pouring brilliant gold with a thin white head. It also smells like a beer with fruit, grain and faint hops. On the palate I can tell the barley malt is missing and I miss it.

3.83/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Omission - a pale ale unlike one I've had to date.

The brew pours out a cloudly orangish-brown color, not so appealing. The head is frothy, lite, thin, and short lived, but it had surprising staying power with good lacing. Very nice smell for a pale ale - citrusy, apples, oranges. The beer had just the right amount of carbonation, even though it had the distinct after taste I dislike to IPAs and pale ales. The taste was like most pale ales but at least the taste of oranges and apples came through - a nice touch. Overall, I gave it a good score since it was by far the best smelling and tasting pale ale I've had to date. What ever it is they omitted, more pale ale makers should omit as well.

12 oz. poured into a Duvel tulip

DISCLAIMER: A friend with celiac disease left this over after a party. I've had 2 already, and I actually quite enjoy it. I'm going to review it against other gluten free beers, because it isn't to fair to rate it against "traditional" beers.

A: Brilliant burnt orange with a very nice 2 finger head which left some lace. It looks great, and I'm loving the color.

S: Honestly, it's just okay. I'm only getting hints of hops, otherwise it's a "malt" bomb. I believe this is sorghum based, but I could be wrong. I haven't had very many gluten-free beers, but this one smells decent all things considered. There is an underlying sweetness.

T: Okay, if you had told me this was gluten-free, I would have spit it in your face and called you a filthy liar. There is NOTHING to suggest this is gluten free. Sure, it may be light in flavor, but it's actually really good. I could drink this regularly. I'm not getting a ton of hop quality, but who knows how long this sat on the shelf. There is just a hint of bitterness on the back end, followed by a surprising sweetness that I think plays well with the bitterness. Of all the gluten free beers I've tried, this is the best. There really isn't even a close contender.

M: It's a tad thin, but it has enough carbonation to distract me. It feels kind of oily in a way. Very slick. Nothing offensive to speak of.

O: I consider this a winner based on the fact that I would drink this over some traditional beers. It's very drinkable, and refreshing. If you are rating this beer low, you need to lower your standards for this style. It's a pale ale, and it's the best GF beer on the market (that I have had). In fact, I would drink this over every year round Widmer Brother's offerings.

3.85/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pale amber color. A little hazy. Big, foamy, cream colored head that fades, but not completely. Good lacing.

Smells like a piece of yeast rich bread. That's not a bad thing, though.

Tastes and feels like an average to above average APA.

I enjoyed this beer at face value. The gluten free aspect takes it to another level of appreciation, however. I have friends who must eat gluten free, and who also love beer. This has been an issue, to say the least. Very appreciative of Widmer Brothers for making a good GF beer. I'm giving it another half a point for being GF. Maybe that's too much, but gluten ain't not joke for some people.

3.85/5  rDev +13.9%

im going to go out on a limb and say this is outstanding beer. its not marketed as gluten free, and certainly doesnt seem to be lacking anything at all. it is pale amber and crystal clear. it smells like a well balanced american pale ale, less hoppy than some, but with a nice citrusy hop profile playign against a light pale malt complexion. the flavor is also nicely balanced, getting a refreshing degree of bitter at the end. its not watery at all, and is in fact a fairly sturdy brew in both body and abv. in a blind taste test i would think this was a quality east coast pale ale, smuttynose or something. it really is good, insanely drinkable. light enough to slam but flavorful enough to appreciate. trust me on this one.

3.85/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle with a born on date of 8/7/13; into a pint glass.
Appearance - a surprisingly hazy orange. A mild, foamy white head with a bit of red sediment on the foam. Lacing is scattered.
Smell - surprisingly pleasant citrus hops nose, with a touch of sweet bread!
Taste - wow, I'm shocked by how good this is! Refreshing and balanced blend of hops and malts!
Feel - a fairly complex feel that works well for the style.
Overall - this is my first gluten free beer (not having by choice, rather because someone brought it over and left in my fridge!). Needless to say, I'm very pleasantly surprised! An outstanding introduction to a GF brew!

3.87/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Appearance: Slightly hazy golden hue with visible carbonation floating up towards a thin off-white head.

Aroma: Not too much on the nose. A little biscuit and just a hint of earthy hops.

Taste: Not bad for gluten-free! Starts a tad bready with some nice earthy hop overtones. The hops overtake the malt a bit in the second half but a nice balance remains throughout. Average bitterness for the style, probably around 20-30 IBUs (their website lists it at 33 IBUs). Not getting the fruity/tropical notes I'd expect from Citra and Cascade hops but perhaps the process of removing the gluten from the grains affects the hop character. I'm not usually a big fan of straight up Pale Ales (more of an IPA guy) but the fact that it is gluten-free and has this much good flavor is surprising. Nice smooth and decently clean finish. Very sessionable at 5.8%.

Mouthfeel: Just below medium in body with average effervescence for the style. Easy drinking.

Final Thoughts: I would recommend Omission Pale Ale to any easy going beer drinker; gluten intolerant or not. It's a worthy beer for anyones glass and hat's off to the brewers who figured out a way of removing the gluten. Would I drink it again? Sureā€¦ now, if they could only come out with an IPA.

3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Serving glass: Poured from bottle into tall glass.

Appearance: Rich amber with decent off-white head.

Smell: Mild citrus with some toasted, grainy malt.

Taste: Tastes exactly like the typical American Pale Ale, which means it tastes damn good. Nice mix of citrusy hops and toasted malts. Finish is spicy and somewhat bitter. Really tastes about halfway between SN Pale Ale and Kona Fire Rock. Does not taste gluten free at all.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body, nice dry finish.

Overall: This is a straight down the middle Pale Ale - no flourishes, nothing out of the ordinary, just very well executed. And considering this is made for those with gluten issues, I am not surprised they went the more safe route. I think some are suppressing their scores because this is gluten free, which is ridiculous. While I do not have to avoid gluten, if I did, this would be my staple.

3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

(bottling date: Jun 10 2014 - poured into a tulip pint)

A: fairly clear, deep amber-hued liquid... perhaps a slight hop haze... rocky, frothy, creme-colored head... structure indicative hop high- or dry-hopping foremost

S: piney with round, fruity malts... toasty grain and overripe yellow grapefruit... overall, has the smell of a NW-hoppy English-style ale... mild spicy-floral highlights... comes across as a small brewery's flagship pale... touch of dirty sock long after

T: about what you'd expect, but cleaner... almost a spiced, honey graham aftertaste... little alcohol... up front, bright and inviting mellow hop bitterness with a earthy-grassy and citrus peel tone... the malt carries a touch of caramel and just hangs in the middle of the palate - the flavors don't move far past that point, as the finish just disappears before the back of the tongue

M: big and round, cottony hop resins... soft dancing of bubbles across the palate... muffled hop heat lingers in the back of the roof of the mouth... super dry, but notably cushiony

O: another pleasant surprise with these Omission beers (only have the IPA left to try)... I don't see why they can't craft a creative beer recipe and apply their tricks to that - the cost of lowering the gluten can't be that much... don't get me wrong, these beers have been solid, but pretty safe and textbook in their approach to taste... very 'sessionable' altogether, and that's likely the main goal here

3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium orange hue with a nice haze to the body and a strong effervescence. Head is a finger of frothy ivory foam.

Smell: sweetish malty aroma with a light, fresh hop component. Nothing revolutionary but quite nice, especially for a gluten-free.

Taste: sweet malty flavor with a wet-hopped type of character. Hops are green and a combination of grassy and earthy. The tartness that often accompanies gluten-free beers is nowhere to be found. Actually quite a decent pale ale.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a great big carbonation and a big, mouth-filling creaminess. Quite good indeed.

Overall: what can I say? This has got to be the best gluten-free beer I've ever had.

3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a really nice golden orange with a one finger plus head. Decent retention, and a nice lace. Nose is of bready malts, with notes of fruity citrus hops. Body is on the heavier side of medium with some carbonation. Taste is a really good balance of malt and hops. Grapefruit in the finish. Nice Gluten free or not.

3.91/5  rDev +15.7%

There's a joke that says that gluten is another word for flavor and gluten free means it tastes bad. I actually had no idea this was gluten free and anticipated reviewing this highly despite the finding.

Very coppery in appearance the head was sort of fizzy and built well but soon collapsed with no lacing or so much as a bubble.

The scent was strong barley with some roasted grain and nuttiness. No real hop scent to speak of.

This has a deeply satisfying and robust barley, bran and nut flavor. Touches of roasted and toasted grains settle well with the pronounced barley flavor. There is a hint of hops at the very end that holds piney through the aftertaste and adds authenticity to this Pale Ale. The feel is robust and flavorful but also crisp and refreshing.

3.94/5  rDev +16.6%

Bottled June 1, 2012:

Into my nonic:

A: golden orange body leaves a one finger white head appears and lasts for about twenty seconds. No carbonation is seen rising. No lacing is left behind.

S: centers around yeasty bread and pine. Some other citrusy notes come out as the beer warms.

T: pine and hops up front giving a slight zesty appeal. Some floral citrusy tones come out stronger as the beer warms.

M: medium with nothing harsh on the tongue.

O: even though I bought this by accident, this isn't bad. If I ever had a problem with wheat, I wouldn't mind drinking this for the rest of my life.

3.96/5  rDev +17.2%

In a land of cider-esque GF "beer", I have to say it's one of the best that I've tried. It actually tastes like beer! Lovely amber color, nice head, decent mouthfeel, really smooth finish. Drank it with food (tamari and sesame glazed salmon) and it was a very nice accompaniment. This will be a staple in my household for sure.

3.98/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a Perfect Pint:

A=Honey colored, very slight cloudiness, and a two finger head that lasted well over a minute...I found it inviting.

S=Sweet, citrusy--lemon and orange--but not artificial...very appealing.

T=Definite sweet butter flavor, with citrus and herbal notes--particularly peach. A bit more hops than others also dominated the taste.

M=Above average body with modest carbonation...smoothness and creaminess offset by heavier body and herbal hop notes...not a session beer.

O=A decent beer that might pair well with barbecued meats or saltier foods...a bit too sweet for me to drink on a regular basis, but worth trying if you haven't found a gluten-free beer that suits your taste.

3.99/5  rDev +18%

I grabbed a single bottle not knowing this was gluten-free.
It looks pretty average. Very little lacing.
Smell is very piney, citrusy. Juniper likely.
It has a lot of bitterness but at the same time, seems light.
The citrus makes the mouth feel very clean.
Overall, it is very sessionable especially for you looking for a beer to go with Mexican food and not wanting to settle for industrial.

A - light orangish amber with a thin, white layer of head

S - bready and sweet

T - bready, sweet, very faint bitterness

M - light to medium bodied, well carbonated, smooth

I'm a bit beside myself with this one. I can't believe it's gluten free. I buy every gluten free beer I see for my wife, and this is by far one of the best. It's one-dimensional for sure, but that one dimension is bready, tasty malt. My wife liked it as well so I'll be buying this again.

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company