Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company
Oregon, United States
widmer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Docer on 04-13-2012

3.46/5  rDev +2.7%

I'd like to offer a modest, and honest opinion on this beer. A lot of people are bashing it and I'm not so sure why. My inclination is snobbery. Look, looks great! Copper as most people say, with little (if any) lacing. The color can be a touch misleading, I expected something with more bite and bitter. Personally, the smell doesn't do much for me, then again I smoke and probably shouldn't offer too much opinion on smell. The taste, unlike what many have said, is not bad, is not bitter and is quite nice to me. I drink IPA, and stout usually. It is what I (and others here) would call thin but that isn't always bad. Refreshing, and enjoyable especially on a hot day. I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up if it was offered to me. If I didn't know it to be gluten free, which is why I serve it, I would never know. The mouth feel is faint, with just enough carbonation. In conclusion, it is very easy to be critical of beer in a new craft world, but let's rate this beer for what it is. A gluten free beer will obviously "miss something". But for those who can't drink any beer on the shelf, this will please. In my opinion this far surpasses Redbridge. If you want a complex beer experience full of adventure and distinguished notes then this beer wasn't made for you. It was made for those who cannot consume gluten yet still wish to enjoy beer. Overall, this is a good beer. The flavor is nice, even if short lived. A bit tame, but certainly enjoyable. Sometimes simple is best. This is one of those times.

2.63/5  rDev -22%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Just too bitter for me. Have not found an apa yet. Stuck on the Belgians

2.55/5  rDev -24.3%

3.59/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.71/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.09/5  rDev -8.3%

3.11/5  rDev -7.7%

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.56/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

This beer is at least 2 years old and has beenin the back of the fridge the entire time, so take the review with a grain of salt. 5.8% ABV, no specs per the website. Pours out to a crystal clear medium amber, forming a modest off yellow head with good retention and lacing. Carbonation is moderate, 2.5 carbs. The nose has some ncie grain husk, apple esters, and probably cascade hops. Mouthfeel is very smooth, medium-light bodied, with a nice herbal bitterness and finishing dry. The taste is standard pale/amber ale fare with a nice grainy body, well balanced bitterness and pleasant hop flavor.

Considering that this is gluten free, I was expecting a thin sorghumy beer, but this actually pretty damn close to malted barley and is a really full flavored easy to drink option for gluten senstive individuals that doesn't taste like crap.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

3.47/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.02/5  rDev -10.4%

3.3/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.82/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

3.21/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.22/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

4.18/5  rDev +24%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.88/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.47/5  rDev -26.7%

Pours light orange with little head or lacing, almost looking thickish in glass. Smells of honey and faint floral hops. Tastes and feel is very strange: very honey-forward, almost mead-ish and faint hop aroma near end. I saw another reviewer say it goes from "thick to thin" in your mouth and I'd have to agree, no real better way to describe it. Overall I would not drink this beer again. It was the first gluten-free beer I've ever had and the mead quality to it turns me off. I would describe it more like a Honey Brown clone than anything.

1.74/5  rDev -48.4%

Worst thing I' ve ever tasted!!!!! Extremely bitter, strange aftertaste!
Among the gluten free beers out there Redbridge by Anheiser Busch is the closest thing to reel beer that I've tasted so far. And it is absolutely, completely gluten free. It was recommended to me and I was pleasantly surprised. I've had regular beer drinkers taste it and they always say "hmm, not bad"

So if you want gluten free don't waste your money on Omission. They can't even guarantee that it IS gluten free. Why even make it. It is worse than vomit aftertaste.

3.23/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.73/5  rDev -19%

After a gluten intolerance (no celiac) diagnosis recently I've been super bummed. My wife let me rinse some Surly Abrasive around in my mouth before spitting it into the sink. This was not only ridiculous but torment-full.
A little online research brought me to Omission.

Picked up a 6 pack of brown bottles from Zipps in Minneapolis for $9.

Wall poured into a Sam Adams Turbulator, producing an inch of white froth, settling to leave a skim of head and decent amounts of lace. Copper transparent color.

Aroma has me let down and I'm real hopeful right now that the flavors will carry me through this medical debacle. Its not that the aroma is bad, it just resembles a multi year aged SN Celebration. Honey drenched Baklava is really all I'm getting.
Taste aint bad folks, I haven't consumed a decent real beer in a while. That wine crap can go, because this will do it for me!
To really rate this beer as a regular 'ol beer I wouldn't rate flavor beyond a 2. Being that this is the only stuff my body can handle (it's just not worth the pain) I'm impressed. Sorghum beers are eff'ing awful. This delivers a fair amount of hop bite, bitter pine that lingers alongside that honey malt flavor and I cant even really call it malt... I mean, it reminds me of what a malty ipa might taste like. Flavors drop fairly quick after swallow and there is a slight metallic off taste and salty peanut shells without the peanuts.

Mouth feel is thin, it's like carbonated hop water with a wee tiny amount of something full bodied for an instant and then flatness.

Overall though this is a great offering to the gluten intolerant and I'm really happy there is stuff like this out there to fill the beer void that I'm experiencing.

I enjoyed this beer a lot for what it's worth.

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company