Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)
23%
Liked This Beer
3.34 w/ 599 Ratings
Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company
Oregon, United States
widmer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Docer on 04-13-2012

Liked:
3.34/5
Alströms:

3.76/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

I had a colleague who is gluten-free and I told her that I would keep my eye out for G-F beer options and report back to her on my findings. In the interim, I retired from that job and I still have the beers awaiting review. I have not felt perfect these last couple of days, so I thought that I would try something(s) fairly innocuous.

From the bottle: "It isn't just what we took out, it's what we left in[.]

I Pop!ped the cap and gave it a pretty aggressive pour, but I still only would up with a measly finger of foamy, tawny head with limited retention. At least, it left nice lacing before it disappeared. Color was a slightly hazy Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13). Nose had a fantastic mintiness and a definite appeal as this G-F weekend winds down for yours truly! Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was moderately hoppy, but it tasted as though it had somehow been dialed back to appeal to a non-hophead audience. Still, it was far and away better than many G-F beers that I had tried up to this point. I was really digging the way they had managed to incorporate a moderate hoppiness into a style (? G-F) that until now, I might have written off as being for those with a commitment. Finish was semi-dry and completely satisfying. I would drink this more often if it were not for a concern that I was taking away someone else's rations.

3.77/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

I picked this up at Wegmans enjoyed chilled in a goblet from the 12oz

The color is deep copper with thin white cap and tight bead pattern, there is a light hazed appearance. The smell is slightly piney with fruity ester and mild spiced yeast aroma. The feel is a great mix of bitter and mildly sweet with light dry finish with a moderatly high carbonation level.

The taste is good with a nice pine flavor up front from the hops with a subtle dried fruit presence and smidgen of citrus rind with a lingering bitter quality after the swallow. The hops contribute an herbal element in the finish. Overall I found this to be a drinkable pale, drinks like a lighter beer than it is and doesn't taste like other Gluten Free beers I have experienced I would certainly buy this again. I don't know why I passed it by before.

1.5/5  rDev -55.1%

3.25/5  rDev -2.7%

3.39/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a pale copper color with off white head fine speckled lacing forms nicely, no complaints looks like beer. Smells like herbal mild citric hops, nice pleasant perceived sweetness definitely mimics breadiness even though these are grains that do not contain gluten. Tastes like a slightly sticky sweet pale ale, but comes off balanced like not cloying. Actual hop flavors the sorghum, rice, and other fermentables actually work better than most other attempts at gluten free beers. Easy to drink a fate hint of water soaked cardboard but I'm thinking it's just some grain I'm not familiar with. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied compared to most pale ales out there, minimal trace slick hops. Overall a beer that I could actually finish much better than your average gluten free offering, one that didn't induce pain to the senses.

A - light orangish amber with a thin, white layer of head

S - bready and sweet

T - bready, sweet, very faint bitterness

M - light to medium bodied, well carbonated, smooth

I'm a bit beside myself with this one. I can't believe it's gluten free. I buy every gluten free beer I see for my wife, and this is by far one of the best. It's one-dimensional for sure, but that one dimension is bready, tasty malt. My wife liked it as well so I'll be buying this again.

3.63/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.41/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler pint, the beer is a slightly chill hazed caramel-copper coloring with a decent, frothy, light, white head that settles into a film coating along the surface and the sides of the glass. Aromas of rich and roasted caramel and toffee, with a spicy, resiny hops presence that cleans and balances. Flavors are just as balanced, with a caramel sweet initial offering that is quickly swept up by a peppered and resiny hops characteristic. Floral highlights give even more layering to the hops anchor of the palate, and there are citrus tones sprinkled amongst all of this, too. Very tasty and balanced. The aftertaste is light and smooth, with more of a malt presence than you get throughout the rest of the brew. Light, clean finish with a bitter, crisp ending. Very smooth, very tasty, and very easy to drink.

3.44/5  rDev +3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear, copper color. 1/4 inch head of an off-white color. Decent retention and slight lacing. Smells of citrus hops, slight floral hops, sweet malt, and a hint of alcohol. Fits the style of an American Pale Ale. Mouth feel is sharp and clean, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of sweet malt, citrus hops, slight floral hops, hint of pale malt, and a hint of alcohol. The body is a little quick to dissipate, but otherwise decent aroma, feel, and blend.

3.4/5  rDev +1.8%

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

Pours a nice golden orange color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is malty, with a nice touch of hops, some slight citrus notes. The taste is mostly malty, but some hops in there, and citrus. Medium body, with a slight bitter/dry finish. Overall for a GF brew, I was quite surprised for sure, not bad at all.

3.47/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a rich golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, light hops, bit of malts.Taste is balanced, caramel malts up front, some hops at the finish, not much bitterness. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a smooth and refreshing beer.

4.5/5  rDev +34.7%

3.25/5  rDev -2.7%

3.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium orange hue with a nice haze to the body and a strong effervescence. Head is a finger of frothy ivory foam.

Smell: sweetish malty aroma with a light, fresh hop component. Nothing revolutionary but quite nice, especially for a gluten-free.

Taste: sweet malty flavor with a wet-hopped type of character. Hops are green and a combination of grassy and earthy. The tartness that often accompanies gluten-free beers is nowhere to be found. Actually quite a decent pale ale.

Mouthfeel: medium-light body with a great big carbonation and a big, mouth-filling creaminess. Quite good indeed.

Overall: what can I say? This has got to be the best gluten-free beer I've ever had.

3.46/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. Sampled on March 29, 2013.

The pour is medium amber to copper orange with a small, lingering head.

Sweetness on the nose as well as light malts and a pear-like fruitiness too.

The body is around medium but nice and creamy.

The taste goes through the motions of a pale ale with an upfront malty sweetness followed by a mildly bitter ending. The difference is that there is this pear-like hint to it too that gives it a little character. Drinkable for sure.

3.05/5  rDev -8.7%

Clear amber colored ale with a small white colored head. Pretty standard looks.

Smells of northwestern style American hops with a curious strong mint scent., Malty and woody with a mild caramel scent to the malt. Mild tea aroma. I smell a normal pale ale.

Starts out mildly malty with a caramel flavor and a mild bitterness in the finish. Woody with a tea flavor and a mild grapefruit flavor. Gets more bitter as you drink it. Pretty average ale.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall a pretty standard pale ale that doesn't taste like a gluten free beer. If you are forced to give up gluten this could be the beer for you.

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company