Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company
Oregon, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Docer on 04-13-2012

Reviews: 110 | Ratings: 574
3.22/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz to a glass

A- pours a pretty light chestnut red with a fluffy 1 finger white head

S- grainy, some sweet caramel malts, metalic, faint lemon

T- lemon citrus, caramel, slight toffee, pennies, a touch of bitter on the end

M- Light to medium bodied, not a whole lot of body, but suprisingly more than i wouldve guessed. Light carbonation, very easy to drink.

O- my first gluten free beer, its very drinkable, not the most flavorful beer, not going to wow you, but its not bad.

3.36/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pale golden/orange in color, Omission Pale Ale has a mild nose of caramel and a faint amount of fruit- mainly lemon. The foam on this beer looks okay at first, but it doesn’t last very long. It does manage to redeem itself with a small amount of lacing, but the appearance is otherwise very ordinary.

Investigating the taste, this pale ale is middle of the road, but in a good way. Its primary flavors include toasted malt, caramel malt, toffee, and some citrus. It seemed like I was picking up lemon in the nose, but the fruit I taste is closer to oranges. The beer has a mildly bitter finish and is clean and drinkable.

I have sampled a few gluten free beers in my day and the Omission lineup seems like a good one compared to the rest. It tastes better than the beers that use sorghum and it’s smooth and drinkable. It’s not a big, rich pale ale like some craft beer fans are used to and demand. But it is a good pale ale overall. Celiac sufferers like beer, too, and its nice that Widmer Brothers has created a beer designed specifically for them.

2.94/5  rDev -13%

bottle into a pint glass

clear copper, almost amber, color with a nice tan head and great lacing

smell is very faint. maybe a touch of molasses or brown sugar

taste is synthetic sweetness and nutty. a bit of bitterness in the end, not very well balanced

mouthfeel is creamy, almost like a nitro

not a bad beer, but I wouldn't go to this for a pale ale-it reminded me of an amber lager

3.98/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a Perfect Pint:

A=Honey colored, very slight cloudiness, and a two finger head that lasted well over a minute...I found it inviting.

S=Sweet, citrusy--lemon and orange--but not artificial...very appealing.

T=Definite sweet butter flavor, with citrus and herbal notes--particularly peach. A bit more hops than others also dominated the taste.

M=Above average body with modest carbonation...smoothness and creaminess offset by heavier body and herbal hop notes...not a session beer.

O=A decent beer that might pair well with barbecued meats or saltier foods...a bit too sweet for me to drink on a regular basis, but worth trying if you haven't found a gluten-free beer that suits your taste.

3.83/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Omission - a pale ale unlike one I've had to date.

The brew pours out a cloudly orangish-brown color, not so appealing. The head is frothy, lite, thin, and short lived, but it had surprising staying power with good lacing. Very nice smell for a pale ale - citrusy, apples, oranges. The beer had just the right amount of carbonation, even though it had the distinct after taste I dislike to IPAs and pale ales. The taste was like most pale ales but at least the taste of oranges and apples came through - a nice touch. Overall, I gave it a good score since it was by far the best smelling and tasting pale ale I've had to date. What ever it is they omitted, more pale ale makers should omit as well.

3.47/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Critiquing this beer within the context of GF beers, this is easily the most authentic tasting I've had. I have always been turned off by sorghum based beers, always seemed unnaturally sweet. This one tastes like a pale ale. Hazy amber/burnt orange in color with off white head. In the nose you can smell the hops, in the sip you can taste them. Pretty well balanced beer, easy on the pallet.
I eat a gluten free foods but I'm not celiac and because the gluten level in beer is relatively low, I drink whatever I want. With that in mind I probably won't seek this one out but if things change it would feel a lot less like the end if the world knowing this was out there. Though I still haven't tried the IPA...

4.09/5  rDev +21%

Wow, first of all I must say that I'm surprised at low this brew rates amongst my fellow advocates since - in spite of the natural discomfort that the gimmicky aspect of this beer might cause - I still consider this one to be well above average on the most relevant ( in my eyes at least) criterion - complexity and balance.

Now having said that, this is still not Elite. Its strong point is Its elusive complexity - took me some third party remarks to really take notice of some of the more subtle tropical fruit notes. Profile wise this beer is at a crossway between the English (think flowers and honey), American (strong citrusy character mostly tangerine / orange) and Kiwi (Mango comes to mind) Pale ales' traditional profile with a lovely, soft carbonation, unobtrusive bitterness and assertive flowery aftertaste.

Deserves more respect, in my opinion.

3.34/5  rDev -1.2%

Copper-red and translucent visually, this is a bit darker than your average pale ale. Seeing as this beer is also sweeter than I would expect; I'm going to go ahead and say that this probably has a higher portion rich and sweet specialty malts in the mash bill than your common pale ale. Coming in at 5.8% abv this alcohol content is good for a session beer. Cascade and Citra hops are present adding a nice piny and fruity flavor to beer but they could be more pronounced. I would also like more bitterness in this one. All and all its a good pale ale but not a great one. It deviates a bit from the style. Good beer nonetheless.

2.32/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I'm down with a beer company removing gluten so that those who can't tolerate gluten can still drink beer if they want to. This beer TASTES like it's missing something though, and if you're looking for a gluten-free beer, I'd probably look elsewhere. This beer is lacking and bland and feels like it needs a lot of help.

3.83/5  rDev +13.3%

12 oz. poured into a Duvel tulip

DISCLAIMER: A friend with celiac disease left this over after a party. I've had 2 already, and I actually quite enjoy it. I'm going to review it against other gluten free beers, because it isn't to fair to rate it against "traditional" beers.

A: Brilliant burnt orange with a very nice 2 finger head which left some lace. It looks great, and I'm loving the color.

S: Honestly, it's just okay. I'm only getting hints of hops, otherwise it's a "malt" bomb. I believe this is sorghum based, but I could be wrong. I haven't had very many gluten-free beers, but this one smells decent all things considered. There is an underlying sweetness.

T: Okay, if you had told me this was gluten-free, I would have spit it in your face and called you a filthy liar. There is NOTHING to suggest this is gluten free. Sure, it may be light in flavor, but it's actually really good. I could drink this regularly. I'm not getting a ton of hop quality, but who knows how long this sat on the shelf. There is just a hint of bitterness on the back end, followed by a surprising sweetness that I think plays well with the bitterness. Of all the gluten free beers I've tried, this is the best. There really isn't even a close contender.

M: It's a tad thin, but it has enough carbonation to distract me. It feels kind of oily in a way. Very slick. Nothing offensive to speak of.

O: I consider this a winner based on the fact that I would drink this over some traditional beers. It's very drinkable, and refreshing. If you are rating this beer low, you need to lower your standards for this style. It's a pale ale, and it's the best GF beer on the market (that I have had). In fact, I would drink this over every year round Widmer Brother's offerings.

3.03/5  rDev -10.4%

Bought at Specs in Austin. Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A - Crystal clear orange color. Two fingers of light head that stick around as long as the nucleation point would allow. Decent lacing.

S - Floral hops, although they're pretty weak. I can't put my finger on the malts.

T/M - Tastes similar to an APA, but with just a little something missing (or dare I say, Omitted?).

O - Not bad for gluten free, but I would never search this out.

3.56/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a murky, darker golden coor. The head wasn't too thick, but it was frothy - some lacing. The nose is interesting - some sweetness to it. The taste is hoppy, but not overly so. None of the sweetness in the nose in the flavor. I've had gluten free beers before, and they weren't good - this one is. I will gladly have more.

3.85/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pale amber color. A little hazy. Big, foamy, cream colored head that fades, but not completely. Good lacing.

Smells like a piece of yeast rich bread. That's not a bad thing, though.

Tastes and feels like an average to above average APA.

I enjoyed this beer at face value. The gluten free aspect takes it to another level of appreciation, however. I have friends who must eat gluten free, and who also love beer. This has been an issue, to say the least. Very appreciative of Widmer Brothers for making a good GF beer. I'm giving it another half a point for being GF. Maybe that's too much, but gluten ain't not joke for some people.

4.02/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Ah ha! I stumbled upon their secret on their website. It has been brewed with barley and the gluten removed probably via flocculation. Whether or not it is really gluten free and the ELISA test is accurate is debatable. If you have hardcore Celiacs, you will want to do more research into the contents of this beer and the fact that recently ELISA testing methods have been questioned as to whether or not they are 100% effective. For me, this is a great alternative as I don't think that I have full blown Celiacs. I haven't been tested as I haven't had medical benefits for a while. But it's nice to know that gluten can be mostly flocculated out with natural additives that are also used for clearing up your beer. I'm pretty sure that they are natural. Don't quote me on that.

The beer pours a coppery amber color and is crystal clear with an off-white thin head that fades to a ring and a tiny Friar Tuck type center cap. After a while it starts to fade, but while doing so during the drink it leaves a little bit of lacing.

The aroma is an extremely pleasant and balance mix of floral west coast hops with a bit of caramel malt sweetness and the tiniest aroma of citrus. It's quite nice.

This beer is an APA. It starts off a little flat with a hop bite and as it moves across the tongue the malt sweetness comes through while the citrusy hoppy flavor stays along for the ride. The finish is a little flat and dry with a little bit of black pepper, but it's pretty well balanced.

As for mouthfeel and body, well, the body is a little light. If you put it side by side with your avarage APA you'd think it was a little watery. It is, however, mildly sweet balanced with hops and is a great alternative for gluten intolerants like me. I hate to use the word "Glutards" as it grates on my soul to think that most people think this is all in our heads and we should just "man up" and eat pizza. Can I hear an "AMEN" from all the Glutards? How many think you are crazy too? Has the term "bitch-slap" ever crossed your mind in relation to such folks? Anyway, this is great. The carbonation is moderate and not too lively.

Overall, I'd say that this is the best Gluten Free that I have had, BUT is it really gluten free? That is the question. It is more like a modifed American Pale Ale. If judging by APA standards, I'd say that it was watery. That is not always a bad thing because it makes the beer sessionable. Will I seek this beer out again, HAYLE yes! In the gluten free realm, this beer scores overall 4.25, or better, out of 5. In the APA world, 3.6 or so.

3.99/5  rDev +18%

I grabbed a single bottle not knowing this was gluten-free.
It looks pretty average. Very little lacing.
Smell is very piney, citrusy. Juniper likely.
It has a lot of bitterness but at the same time, seems light.
The citrus makes the mouth feel very clean.
Overall, it is very sessionable especially for you looking for a beer to go with Mexican food and not wanting to settle for industrial.

3.19/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a nice amber or golden brownish glow. Features a nice creamy white large head that leads to a disorganized thick lacing. Nose is slight. Some sweet citrusy notes. Taste is of a quality standard pale with some citrus and nice malt. No flavor really comes to the fore. Apparently they can't call it gluten free. I' d like to see what my gluten friends think about it. I also worry about what they have to do to get the gluten out. Chemicals?

If glut people can actually drink this, it's got to taste better than the glut free brews.

2.71/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

This is about as good as you're going to find in a gluten-free beer. That doesn't mean it's going to ring any bells but it does taste the most authentic of all the ones I've tried. The others seem to use alternative grains that taste different and mess with your head. This one is at least somewhat more traditional tasting.

3.61/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The beer was good and it did what it was supposed to. I liked the taste but it was a little... i dunno weak i guess. I wouldn't know I was drinking a gluten free beer.

3.21/5  rDev -5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Served from a bottle into a pint glass

A: Deep coppery orange with moderate head and virtually no lacing

S: Nothing much of note. Some bready yeast and a little ripe fruit, but not much on the nose at all.

T: A surprisingly rich, drinkable brew. Enough hops to cut through the substantial malt. A bit of sweetness up front, quickly subdued by the hops.

M: Crisp and refreshing. Doesn't linger for long, but does sparkle a bit.

O: Not sure if this is a beer that ages surprisingly well, or if I was just in the mood for it tonight, but I thoroughly enjoyed this bottle after being pretty unimpressed with the the lack of flavor presented by first two I drank several weeks ago. I don't know as I'd actively seek this out, as there are many pale ales I enjoy more, but if you have gluten issues, this would be a great option. Light enough to serve as a session beer, but with enough flavor to enjoy every glass.

2.47/5  rDev -26.9%

Pours light orange with little head or lacing, almost looking thickish in glass. Smells of honey and faint floral hops. Tastes and feel is very strange: very honey-forward, almost mead-ish and faint hop aroma near end. I saw another reviewer say it goes from "thick to thin" in your mouth and I'd have to agree, no real better way to describe it. Overall I would not drink this beer again. It was the first gluten-free beer I've ever had and the mead quality to it turns me off. I would describe it more like a Honey Brown clone than anything.

3.35/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Not what I was expecting, but a decent beer nonetheless. Slight bitterness, but nowhere near what I think of an IPA. But, I'm a novice beer drinker just looking for variety & something different. It's also my first gluten free beer, & I didn't even realize it was. The flavor's good, color is a nice copper. Little to no head, so the carbonation is almost nil, like a nitro. It's a good beer with a mild flavor that doesn't leave my mouth dryer than the Sahara. Lol. Not terrible, but not great either. I'd drink it again if it was offered, but would most likely not get again. It's a decent beer with decent flavor, feel, & taste.

This is currently the best by far of all the gluten free beers. This rates a 5 of 5. Overall, compared with all beers, this rates a 4.8 since it is an above average American Pale Ale.

Serving type - bottle 12 oz.
Glass used - tulip
Pours - clear copper color
Head - one finger, off-white, lasts 1-2 min.
Lacing - good
Aroma - citrus, baked bread, floral, hops
Taste - first medium bitter hops, light citrus, followed by light malt ending with hops;
crisp med. light mouthfeel, well balanced, 5.7 abv with no alcohol taste, very drinkable
Overall - best gluten free beer on the market and a very good pale ale for everyone to enjoy;
I will continue to purchase this one

Scoring (5 Max)
Look 5
Smell 4.5
Taste 5
Feel 4.5
Overall 5 for GF, 4.8 otherwise

2.96/5  rDev -12.4%

12oz bottle poured into IPA glass.

Rich amber color, quarter finger of good looking white head. Moderate lacing.

Hoppy, bits of citrus or fruit flavor, with a slightly off, metallic aftertaste. Well carbonated with a good texture and balance.

Wouldn't know it was gluten free or otherwise restricted on ingredients without being told. Didn't know when buying, it's not on the bottle.

Overall it's an above average apa, which is an accomplishment given the gluten-free restriction. It looks much better than it tastes, unfortunately.

3.65/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

For the last year I've confined my beers to gluten-free and my favorite are Widner Omission - Lager, IPA & Ale. The sky blue label is amber ale at 5.8%, with a caramel malt body and a somewhat bitter taste, which I like.

As most say, not bad for gluten-free. I'm not celiac, but like beer and hope for less beer belly. Not sure it works :-)

4.06/5  rDev +20.1%

Love Spotted Cow, but this is the best Gluten Free beer I've tried. Rated it a 4 in terms of gluten free beers rather than overall beers. A little pricey, but worth it.

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company