Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company
Oregon, United States
widmer.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Docer on 04-13-2012

3.03/5  rDev -10.1%

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.98/5  rDev +18.1%

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%

Look- Dark golden to Amber. No head
Smell-Faint hops and citrus
Taste- Bland. Taste similar to nose. Quick faint taste of hops and citrus.
Feel- Light bodied.
Overall- Decent. Darker and stronger than a normal pale ale but not bad for a gluten free beer.

3.88/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

2.51/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

3.42/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not a very delightful brew, but it holds its own on the nose. It's slightly hoppy, with a muffled grapefruit and citrus but missing a lot of the malty, wheatier notes. Granted it's a gluten-free brew, I think the nose makes up for the drink's underwhelming first impression. It's in the nose that you get the warm, maltier taste which is completely missing from the sip. The citrus also brightens and shows form after the drink is gone.

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.57/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.77/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

2.78/5  rDev -17.5%

3.56/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a murky, darker golden coor. The head wasn't too thick, but it was frothy - some lacing. The nose is interesting - some sweetness to it. The taste is hoppy, but not overly so. None of the sweetness in the nose in the flavor. I've had gluten free beers before, and they weren't good - this one is. I will gladly have more.

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.35/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Not what I was expecting, but a decent beer nonetheless. Slight bitterness, but nowhere near what I think of an IPA. But, I'm a novice beer drinker just looking for variety & something different. It's also my first gluten free beer, & I didn't even realize it was. The flavor's good, color is a nice copper. Little to no head, so the carbonation is almost nil, like a nitro. It's a good beer with a mild flavor that doesn't leave my mouth dryer than the Sahara. Lol. Not terrible, but not great either. I'd drink it again if it was offered, but would most likely not get again. It's a decent beer with decent flavor, feel, & taste.

3.43/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.79/5  rDev +12.5%

3.46/5  rDev +2.7%

I'd like to offer a modest, and honest opinion on this beer. A lot of people are bashing it and I'm not so sure why. My inclination is snobbery. Look, looks great! Copper as most people say, with little (if any) lacing. The color can be a touch misleading, I expected something with more bite and bitter. Personally, the smell doesn't do much for me, then again I smoke and probably shouldn't offer too much opinion on smell. The taste, unlike what many have said, is not bad, is not bitter and is quite nice to me. I drink IPA, and stout usually. It is what I (and others here) would call thin but that isn't always bad. Refreshing, and enjoyable especially on a hot day. I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up if it was offered to me. If I didn't know it to be gluten free, which is why I serve it, I would never know. The mouth feel is faint, with just enough carbonation. In conclusion, it is very easy to be critical of beer in a new craft world, but let's rate this beer for what it is. A gluten free beer will obviously "miss something". But for those who can't drink any beer on the shelf, this will please. In my opinion this far surpasses Redbridge. If you want a complex beer experience full of adventure and distinguished notes then this beer wasn't made for you. It was made for those who cannot consume gluten yet still wish to enjoy beer. Overall, this is a good beer. The flavor is nice, even if short lived. A bit tame, but certainly enjoyable. Sometimes simple is best. This is one of those times.

2.63/5  rDev -22%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Just too bitter for me. Have not found an apa yet. Stuck on the Belgians

2.55/5  rDev -24.3%

3.59/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.71/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.48/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company