Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free)

Widmer Brothers Brewing Company
Oregon, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Added by Docer on 04-13-2012

Reviews: 110 | Ratings: 576
4.6/5  rDev +36.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

For those like me that have to be gluten free, this beer kicks serious butt. I love Widmer and fine beers (well at least to until I couldn't have anything with Wheat, barley or Oats)... Sadly, I had to say goodbye to my favorites- Widmer Hefe and their winter / summer brews. As much as I love apples, hard cider is not my thing and some of the other GF beers taste like much of the bread products- awful. I did find that New Grist was palatable but then came along Omission. For those that love Widmer products, it has that taste that is indicative of imbibing on one of their regular, delicious beers. It took me back to the days when I could drink it and really, back to living in Portland and drinking more than my fair share while in College, at the Porthole (NE Portland) and the Sextant. I do wish there was a way to make GF Hefe but I am sure that is a dream LOL... Widmer wasn't my only indulgence as I also loved all things McMinnimums. Thank you Widmer for making this and allowing me to feel at least somewhat normal now that I am unable to consume most beer products.

2.32/5  rDev -31.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

I'm down with a beer company removing gluten so that those who can't tolerate gluten can still drink beer if they want to. This beer TASTES like it's missing something though, and if you're looking for a gluten-free beer, I'd probably look elsewhere. This beer is lacking and bland and feels like it needs a lot of help.

3.58/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz bottle, the first Widmer product to make it into the Alberta market, and wouldn't you know it has to be a gluten-free offering.

This beer pours a mildly hazy, medium copper amber colour, with one stout finger of weakly puffy, and mostly just bubbly off-white head, which leaves some attractive ocean spray lace around the glass as it easily slips away.

It smells of reserved bready caramel malt, a soft biscuity graininess, orange cream, understated pine and leafy hop notes, and a tame earthy yeastiness. The taste is more semi-sweet bready caramel malt, dry biscuity saltines, an ethereal orange and neutered grapefruit fruitiness, well-faded yeast, and a surprisingly peppy earthy, leafy, and somewhat grassy hoppiness.

The bubbles are generally active and supportive in their straight-up frothiness, the body a decent medium weight for the style, and a bit too tacky to be deemed particularly smooth. It finishes rather dry, the biscuity nature starting to subsume the whole, as it were.

Another pleasantly rendered gluten-free ale, if it absolutely has to be done. Since they state on the label that this is made with 'malted barley, specially crafted to be gluten-free', I'm gonna lump this in with the enzyme removal method for further classification, since there are still residual (albeit below the governing body's standard) proteins flitting about here.

3.4/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer is hazy light amber in color and has a light to moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a half finger high off white head that died down, leaving lacing on the surface and a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light aromas of caramel malts are present in the nose along with faint hints of floral hops.
T: Like the smell, the taste has some flavors of caramel malts and the hops mostly contribute a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels nearly medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: Out of all of the gluten-free beers that I've tried so far, the Omission beers rank at the top because they don't have "off" flavors since they were brewed like a normal beer but the gluten was removed afterwards.

3.38/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

330 ml bottle, served cold into a pint glass while out for dinner in Buffalo, NY.

Appearance - mostly coppery in color, few visible bubbles. A half finger of white head that leaves behind a nice ring of lacing.

Smell - some citrusy hops, in particular a leafy quality. Otherwise aromas are subdued.

Taste - has the leafy hop quality again, but it seems to fall a bit flat for me. Mild malt flavour blended in.

Mouthfeel - smooth, but a bit flat and lacking carbonation.

Overall- not a bad APA , especially for a gluten- free beer. It's a bit lacking as far as APAs go but still worth a try especially for those with gluten sensitivities.

I'm no beer snob but I did grow up in WI and love Spotted Cow. That said, the gluten-free beers aren't in the same league. Still, Omission, if chilled in the freezer and served in an insulated mug that's also done some freezer time is more than passable. 'Cause sometimes, especially in TX, y'all just gotta have a cold beer.

3.69/5  rDev +9.2%

Bottled 1 Jul 14 at 35 degrees in a standard pint glass
Aroma of pine
Head average (3 cm), white, frothy, slowly diminishing to 2-4 mm frothy layer
Lacing good – narrow complete rings of tiny bubbles
Body medium orange, clear
Flavor begins with light pine flavor and bitterness, quickly fading; no malt, no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, watery, lively carbonation

Appearance 3.5, Aroma 3.25, Flavor 4, Palate 3.5, Overall 3.5625. Final weighted score: 3.6875
A piney pleasant pale ale.

This is currently the best by far of all the gluten free beers. This rates a 5 of 5. Overall, compared with all beers, this rates a 4.8 since it is an above average American Pale Ale.

Serving type - bottle 12 oz.
Glass used - tulip
Pours - clear copper color
Head - one finger, off-white, lasts 1-2 min.
Lacing - good
Aroma - citrus, baked bread, floral, hops
Taste - first medium bitter hops, light citrus, followed by light malt ending with hops;
crisp med. light mouthfeel, well balanced, 5.7 abv with no alcohol taste, very drinkable
Overall - best gluten free beer on the market and a very good pale ale for everyone to enjoy;
I will continue to purchase this one

Scoring (5 Max)
Look 5
Smell 4.5
Taste 5
Feel 4.5
Overall 5 for GF, 4.8 otherwise

3.3/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured into a balloon glass.

Look: Very clear copper body. A light cream colored head, decent splotches of lacing.

Aroma: Very subdued, but a nice blend of caramel, fruitiness, and hops.

Taste: Like the aroma, well balanced with malty sweetness, some apple and cherry notes, and finally hops in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied.

Overall: Well balanced and tasty, I did not mind having a sixer.

3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

(bottling date: Jun 10 2014 - poured into a tulip pint)

A: fairly clear, deep amber-hued liquid... perhaps a slight hop haze... rocky, frothy, creme-colored head... structure indicative hop high- or dry-hopping foremost

S: piney with round, fruity malts... toasty grain and overripe yellow grapefruit... overall, has the smell of a NW-hoppy English-style ale... mild spicy-floral highlights... comes across as a small brewery's flagship pale... touch of dirty sock long after

T: about what you'd expect, but cleaner... almost a spiced, honey graham aftertaste... little alcohol... up front, bright and inviting mellow hop bitterness with a earthy-grassy and citrus peel tone... the malt carries a touch of caramel and just hangs in the middle of the palate - the flavors don't move far past that point, as the finish just disappears before the back of the tongue

M: big and round, cottony hop resins... soft dancing of bubbles across the palate... muffled hop heat lingers in the back of the roof of the mouth... super dry, but notably cushiony

O: another pleasant surprise with these Omission beers (only have the IPA left to try)... I don't see why they can't craft a creative beer recipe and apply their tricks to that - the cost of lowering the gluten can't be that much... don't get me wrong, these beers have been solid, but pretty safe and textbook in their approach to taste... very 'sessionable' altogether, and that's likely the main goal here

3.5/5  rDev +3.6%

I believe this is my first gluten free beer review, but I'm too lazy to check, so either way, here goes.

Clear and light brown to orange with a pretty good initial head, not much lacing, but not bad looking.

Aroma and taste aren't sufficiently different from any other random craft pale ale on a given day. This one is a bit tilted towards the malty side, with notable caramel malt, biscuit, bread, and some nice hops bite to balance it out. The website says they used cascade but I can't really say that this beer SCREAMS out cascade to me. There's certainly some citrus and citrus rind tho, and the hops balanced the beer out fine.

I can't say this beer is going to to wind up being world-class, but it's certainly tasty nonetheless. I wouldn't be at all opposed to someone showing up with a sixer of this, or with having this as the only beer available at whatever event. At this point I'm already half done with the glass, so I guess it's "thirst-quenching" too! Finish is a bit on the dry side with a crisp lingering bitterness.

Good to see someone is attempting to brew for celiac patients.

3.33/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured into tall ale Glass. Head relative thin but aromatic head. taste reminiscent of several Mexican brews. To me that is, Not a connoisseur but am a home brewer. I know from nothing about Gluten or Celiac disease.The 6 pack carrier clearly says not Gluten free. Something about less than 20 pts on some scale. Therefore I would have to really check it out if I had an aversion to gluten.
I would purchase AGAIN and will try to research the "gluten reducing enzyme" in order to brew at home.

3.37/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Gluten free not a clue but a pale lets give it a whirl. Pours to an orange color with an off white head that recedes slowly and leaves a thick lacing. Smell is very sweet almost oktoberfest-like with a tarty background. On the taste this brew has a sweet starter with a bit of hopping evident in the middle slightly bitter but not not a real bite then finishes with a fading flat bitterness, we'll balanced with a malty base. A very malty pale ale, not much bitter hopping. Not really on for the style but a good drinking brew.

3.58/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz.

Pours a mostly clear amber color, half inch of fine white head retains as a film.

Smells of caramel and sweet biscuit malts. The sweetness is like agave. Some mild fruity hoppiness at the end.

Tastes of sweet malt, again similar to agave, with some biscuity richness and a very mild hop bitterness.

Medium body with tingly carbonation on the tongue.

I haven't had many, but this is the best gluten-free beer I've had so far. It's very drinkable and tastes pretty good. It still has a bit of that non-glutanized wang to it, but it works overall and I'd even choose to drink it.

3.54/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This Beer is the greatest Gluten-free beer on the market. I couldn't believe that they could make a gluten free beer this good. I have Celiacs disease and was so excited when I first had this beer. And then I had two, then three, then four. And then my stomach twisted into a giant knot and my brain became super cloudy and my eyes super tired. I had somehow ingested gluten. This beer is NOT Gluten Free! It has very low gluten, but it still has gluten. They brew this beer with gluten ingredients and then "eat" the gluten out with an enzyme, but it does not get it all.
IF you have Celiacs disease do not drink this beer. Even if you only have one and don't feel the affects of the gluten it destroys your intestines and your cancer rate skyrockets.
So, Shame on you Omission for hiding this fact. I'm sure you did your research on Celiac ridden people and if you didn't, shame on you again.

To good to be true..

Dave

3.39/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Looks like a pale copper color with off white head fine speckled lacing forms nicely, no complaints looks like beer. Smells like herbal mild citric hops, nice pleasant perceived sweetness definitely mimics breadiness even though these are grains that do not contain gluten. Tastes like a slightly sticky sweet pale ale, but comes off balanced like not cloying. Actual hop flavors the sorghum, rice, and other fermentables actually work better than most other attempts at gluten free beers. Easy to drink a fate hint of water soaked cardboard but I'm thinking it's just some grain I'm not familiar with. Mouthfeel is lighter bodied compared to most pale ales out there, minimal trace slick hops. Overall a beer that I could actually finish much better than your average gluten free offering, one that didn't induce pain to the senses.

3.36/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pale golden/orange in color, Omission Pale Ale has a mild nose of caramel and a faint amount of fruit- mainly lemon. The foam on this beer looks okay at first, but it doesn’t last very long. It does manage to redeem itself with a small amount of lacing, but the appearance is otherwise very ordinary.

Investigating the taste, this pale ale is middle of the road, but in a good way. Its primary flavors include toasted malt, caramel malt, toffee, and some citrus. It seemed like I was picking up lemon in the nose, but the fruit I taste is closer to oranges. The beer has a mildly bitter finish and is clean and drinkable.

I have sampled a few gluten free beers in my day and the Omission lineup seems like a good one compared to the rest. It tastes better than the beers that use sorghum and it’s smooth and drinkable. It’s not a big, rich pale ale like some craft beer fans are used to and demand. But it is a good pale ale overall. Celiac sufferers like beer, too, and its nice that Widmer Brothers has created a beer designed specifically for them.

4.09/5  rDev +21%

Wow, first of all I must say that I'm surprised at low this brew rates amongst my fellow advocates since - in spite of the natural discomfort that the gimmicky aspect of this beer might cause - I still consider this one to be well above average on the most relevant ( in my eyes at least) criterion - complexity and balance.

Now having said that, this is still not Elite. Its strong point is Its elusive complexity - took me some third party remarks to really take notice of some of the more subtle tropical fruit notes. Profile wise this beer is at a crossway between the English (think flowers and honey), American (strong citrusy character mostly tangerine / orange) and Kiwi (Mango comes to mind) Pale ales' traditional profile with a lovely, soft carbonation, unobtrusive bitterness and assertive flowery aftertaste.

Deserves more respect, in my opinion.

3.05/5  rDev -9.8%

Clear amber colored ale with a small white colored head. Pretty standard looks.

Smells of northwestern style American hops with a curious strong mint scent., Malty and woody with a mild caramel scent to the malt. Mild tea aroma. I smell a normal pale ale.

Starts out mildly malty with a caramel flavor and a mild bitterness in the finish. Woody with a tea flavor and a mild grapefruit flavor. Gets more bitter as you drink it. Pretty average ale.

Mouthfeel is good.

Overall a pretty standard pale ale that doesn't taste like a gluten free beer. If you are forced to give up gluten this could be the beer for you.

3.85/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle with a born on date of 8/7/13; into a pint glass.
Appearance - a surprisingly hazy orange. A mild, foamy white head with a bit of red sediment on the foam. Lacing is scattered.
Smell - surprisingly pleasant citrus hops nose, with a touch of sweet bread!
Taste - wow, I'm shocked by how good this is! Refreshing and balanced blend of hops and malts!
Feel - a fairly complex feel that works well for the style.
Overall - this is my first gluten free beer (not having by choice, rather because someone brought it over and left in my fridge!). Needless to say, I'm very pleasantly surprised! An outstanding introduction to a GF brew!

3.65/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

For the last year I've confined my beers to gluten-free and my favorite are Widner Omission - Lager, IPA & Ale. The sky blue label is amber ale at 5.8%, with a caramel malt body and a somewhat bitter taste, which I like.

As most say, not bad for gluten-free. I'm not celiac, but like beer and hope for less beer belly. Not sure it works :-)

3.17/5  rDev -6.2%

Undated bottle into pint glass. Medium orange with an eggshell-white head. Initial impression is that it's an utterly unremarkable beer. Kind of sweet, a little hops, medium mouthfeel, medium carbonation, bitter finish. Unless you need a gluten-free beer, I'd say look elsewhere.

3.22/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12 oz to a glass

A- pours a pretty light chestnut red with a fluffy 1 finger white head

S- grainy, some sweet caramel malts, metalic, faint lemon

T- lemon citrus, caramel, slight toffee, pennies, a touch of bitter on the end

M- Light to medium bodied, not a whole lot of body, but suprisingly more than i wouldve guessed. Light carbonation, very easy to drink.

O- my first gluten free beer, its very drinkable, not the most flavorful beer, not going to wow you, but its not bad.

4.74/5  rDev +40.2%

Great beer. I'm not too picky but this is my favorite beer of all time. I always buy this when I go to the store great Pale Ale a must try for anyone gluten intolerant or not. It has medium hops and definitely has bitterness to it. Decent alcohol content at 5.8 and feels great going down the hatch.

3.26/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Bottle > Alpine Spring bow-tie glass.

A - Clear glass half a finger of fizzy white head, medium lacing.
S - Some sweet malt, light orange notes, biscuit malt, light grassy tones.
T - Sweet malt and thats about it for taste.
M - Well carbonated, but meh.
O - Weak, lacking flavor, give me the Gluten please.

Omission Pale Ale (Gluten-Free) from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company