Columbia Common | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

Style: California Common / Steam Beer

Availability: Spring

Added by welldigger888 on 12-29-2012

4.18/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I plucked this from the cooler at the Knickerbocker Hotel last weekend, a story in and of itself. That said, this is the Bros.' Spring Ale, following closely on the heels of Penn Brewery's Winter Ale. What day/season is it today? I have no idea after sitting through a bone-chilling baseball game yesterday.

I know/understand the style and I am not going to even touch the in-fighting of some of the previous reviews. Please, look at the style descriptor(s) and do some reading before launching into one another.

I went with a fairly aggro pour which resulted in a surprisingly brief finger of light-tan head with relatively low retention. It is a cool day and there is little to no humidity and the lack of head retention was surprising. Color was a deep-copper with NE-quality clarity and if there was a way to cash it in at my local recycling center, I would be on my way there now. I had a babe of a g/f in the early 1990's and her hair was both copper-colored and coarse as wire. I wonder if she braids it up and sells it as scrap? Man, what a beauty! Both the g/f and the beer. Nose was solidly malty with a slightly minty/grassy scent underneath. I was vaguely reminded of Girl Scout mint cookies. Taste was semi-sweet and quite tasty. It occurred to me, in writing this review, that I have never reviewed Anchor Steam, despite it being one of the first micros I ever put up to my lips, I wonder how the two will compare. This was worthwhile.

2.77/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Good name for this one. Not a bad beer, well above the adjunct axis of evil - you know who I mean. But in the current craft environment, this just blends in. It's even on the label - common.
The look is of any spring ale, maibock, pilsner, etc., which is to say medium to dark, but as I like to say, you don't drink the look.
Smell and taste are indistinct, this beer does not want to stand out. I won't call it lazy, but it certainly is not working very hard. I'm not asking them to put cherry blossoms or grass nibs in the fermentation - I don't need a beer to be so exotic, but a range of flavors would be nice. There is a mild hint of grass, citrus or pine, but not much. More malt than hops, in fact very little hop aroma or flavor at all.
Widmer is in the Redhook Kona Pyramid family of beers and they are starting to seem like the GM of beers to me. Decent, working vehicles, some really good, but there's a whole lot of overlap between them leaving you to wonder, if there wasn't a label on the bottle, could you tell the difference?
Drink Beer, Be Happy!
Cheers!

2.75/5  rDev -23.8%

3.56/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 12/15/12.

Pours a clear honey orange with a foamy beige head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, biscuit, grain, and grassy aromas. Taste is much the same with malt and grassy flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a distinct grass forward aroma and flavor.

3.27/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Pours a dark gold with a one-finger head into my glass. Bog standard. Someone complained that it doesn't look like a pils. That's because it's NOT a pils!

Sweet with a buttery edge. Bit of pine on the nose. The bottle indicates that this was brewed at Redhook's facility in NH.

Pretty much tastes the same as it smells. Light hop flavors/aroma. Tastes close to a bitter for some reason.

Lingering pine and buttery malt make up the mouthfeel. Not bad. Crisp.

If you like the style, you'll like this. I think it's ok.

Columbia Common from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company