Drop Top Amber | Widmer Brothers Brewing Company

3.41/5
Alströms:
3.7

3.52/5  rDev +3.2%

Today is one huge homage to my local trader, tone77, for whom I am deeply thankful. He keeps me in bottles when I would surround myself in CANs and gloss over everything else. Bottled beer CAN be as compelling as CANned beers but I tend to lose focus what with The CANQuest (TM).

I have a patch that reads: "Unless you have ridden/driven a motorcycle, you won't understand a dog's excitement." The label depicts this better than any Ralph Steadman Flying Dog label, you feel me, dog? Dog, the Bounty Hunter will be on soon. I am dog tired and it is time for the Dog Watch as I see sun dogs in the sky. Doggone, isn't there a review forthcoming?

I chose an aggro pour to develop just over a finger of dense, tawny head with good retention. The color was a deep orangish-amber, but not red enough to cause me slaver over it. The clarity was all that and a bag of Fritos, which I always have on-hand in case of munchies. Nose was far hoppier than I expected and my mouth began to water. Give thanks to the West Coast breweries who seem to have an abundance of hops and who are unafraid to use 'em. My first sip was of big malt, initially, followed by intense hoppiness and my tongue began to loll out of my mouth. "Let's ride," she said and I hopped on the back. I continued to really enjoy this beer, an easy sipper on a laid-back holiday in which I was doing more maintenance drinking than trying to get my fill. The finish was semi-sweet, which was just fine by me at this point. I have IPAs on-hand if I need 'em, but this was the right kind of mellow at the right time. I may start up some laundry to really enliven the day. Bottom line: if you are looking to kick start your day, this is not the beer. If you want a nice, mellow day with the dog, pop this open and go for a spin.

4.5/5  rDev +32%

3.13/5  rDev -8.2%

pours a copper color with a thick off white head. doesnt smell like much, a bit of caramel maltiness, but nothing much to speak of. taste is fairly bland for an amber, but not unpleasant, just not distinct. it is well balanced though. fuller bodied with good carbonation make the mouthfeel excellent for this beer, smooth and creamy, just not a whole lot going on to excite the palate.

Drop Top Amber from Widmer Brothers Brewing Company