Pink Killer | Brasserie de Silly S.A.

poor

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 63 | Ratings: 125
4.19/5  rDev +60.5%

Drank on-tap at Delirium in Brussels

I have to say up front that I don't normally drink fruit beers, especially ones w/the word "pink" in the name. However, Delirium's menu gave this a strong recommendation, so I gave her a go.

Man, was I pleasantly surprised. I spent two weeks back-packing throughout Europe, and this beer made the strongest impression on me.

A - pink-ish, with tiny bits of grapefruit floating in it. That's not a bad thing, but took some getting used to.

S - grapefruit, but not at all in the hoppy way we beer geeks are used to.

T - grapefruit all the way. Not too much. Do you like the taste of grapefruit? If so, you'll probably like this. If not, stay the hell away. It was a warm night, which probably helped.

M - average. Nothing all that notable.

D - excellent. I could have had more, but had to go.

Final note: I found a bottle of this stuff in Switzerland and pounced on it. Can't put my finger on it, but it wasn't as good. Certainly not the "worst beer I've ever had" as others here have said. If you have a choice b/t tap and bottle, go tap all the way. I can only guess that this stuff doesn't hold up well w/travel, as everyone who had it here in the US seems to revile it.

3.95/5  rDev +51.3%

Lucky I live about 5 miles away from the Silly brewery.

Went back on vacation and the beer was the local hit that summer.
Had it every summer.

A - In the Pink Killer glass

S - Fruity, grapefruit flavor is very present and pleasant to drink.

T & M - Very refreshing for the hot summer days. Nothing that would put you under the table. Enjoyable to the palate.

D - Again, I enjoy the beer for a good hot summer refreshment.

Seved: was on tap in all bars and had it in bottle at home.

4.02/5  rDev +54%

Okay, so it's a kinda gimmicky beer, but it's bright pink and fizzy and fun, and seemed worth a try for about three bucks on tap after exchange. (2,80 euro for 25cl on tap at Delirium in Brussels.)

A: Served in logo glass, bright pink-orange, hazy, with a loose, fizzy white head that left a lot of lace.

S: fruity candy tangy grapefruit.

T: fruity sweet candy, with an intensely perfumey essence, slightly acidic and astringent. Really, pretty tasty, and candy-like. Would probably be a nice dessert beer.

M: slightly fizzy and acidic.

D: Overall, a drinkable beer, perhaps too easy, and with all those residual sugars, one can guess at the name from the no doubt killer hangover if you pound through half a dozen or so.

I'm not clear why some think this is a lambic: it's absolutely not, and I've not seen where it's been advertised as one. Perhaps incorrecly at the bar/store they bought it? It's a fruit beer, through and through.

C'mon, it's not unlike drinking a late harvest riesling, or a sweetened kriek or framboise, and pretending it's serious wine/beer. It's a guilty pleasure fruit beer, and that's what it should be reviewed as. Hello, Lindemans, anyone?

3.82/5  rDev +46.4%

Something a little off the beaten track pulled off fairly well. Its a grapefruit flavoured novelty beer, but makes a pretty decent summer patio drink.

Grapefruit flavour is honest, its not overly sweet, or too fizzy, and is well partnered with the beer.

Ruby-pink, short-lived minimal head, no lace.

Fun to drink in a not-too-serious-mood.

3.55/5  rDev +36%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

This beer has suffered lots of abuse from people who can't take it seriously. So I had to at least see what all the fuss was about.

The head is surprisingly un-pink, but a bubbly sea-foam white, but with poor retention. The color is a dirty orange with a slight red tint.

The aroma is strong, smelling exactly like newly-sliced pink grapefruit, and in this department it does its job well. There's no question what this beer is all about with one simple whiff. Heavy on the perfume side of things, it's a nice smell, but a one-trick pony with no character other than that one defining aroma.

Flavor-wise, it's actually better than expected, and better than my initial sip of a couple weeks ago. It's well-done and achieves what it sets out to do. But who demanded grapefruit-flavored beer anyway? It gets some credit for tasting more natural than artificial, but the Fruit Stripe-gum flavor can be a bit cloying after awhile. (Hint: sip it and sip it slow.) Fellow BA melbatoast93 was with me at the Silly brewery when I first tried this, and he rightly nailed the flavor as resembling Fruit Loops cereal.

Mouthfeel is luckily not overly-fizzy, which could seriously hurt this beer. It maintains a succulent creaminess that's quite enjoyable.

Heck, as the glass empties, I find myself being strangely attracted to this Fruit Loopy concoction. Not something I'd want every day, but a relatively harmless novelty that's actually not as bad as some have made it out to be.

3.99/5  rDev +52.9%

Considering the other reviews, I have to guess that this beer does not travel well. I had this one on draft at the Delerium Cafe in Brussels on a day that the temperature was hitting 95F. It was a fine choice.

The appearance was too pink for my taste. But it did have a sparkle to it, almost champagne like.

I love grapefruit and this is billed as a grapefruit beer. The taste was genuine, not syrupy or cloying. No alcopop here; just a unique beer. It did not have a lot of hops, but I wasn't looking for any since I figured the grapefruit was coming from somewhere else. It was absolutely refreshing, considering the weather.

If one understands that this beer is no doubt coming out of the lambic style (although it is not a lambic), then its eccentricities can be appreciated.

I heartily recommend the Delerium Cafe for an afternoon visit. They only have 2004 beers available.

4.56/5  rDev +74.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed in a bottle at the Delirium Café in Brussels.

Aroma: Can’t do better than freshly peeled grapefruit, but there is a strong citric perfume aroma that I really like! Maybe some orange peel as well, but the bottle talks up the pink grapefruit (hence the name).

Appearance: Hazy light orange with a thin white cover that lasts about half way through.

Flavor: Mellow, but a firm citric rind, ok, grapefruit rind note and some mild coriander.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body, crisp clean finish,

Overall Impression: A very pleasant and refreshing beer! I’m having to guess that it doesn’t travel well, so I can’t recommend it to folks here in the US, but closer to the source this just rocked!

3.15/5  rDev +20.7%

I obtained this bottle from a Belgian beer website. I thought it would be interesting to try because of the name and the obvious ingredient, pink grapefruit. This beer poured a orangish, pink color with active carbonation and a light pnk head. The killer has a big aroma of grapefruit and some malty sweetness. The taste is an odd syrupy grapefruit taste that is interesting but not the kind of beer that I would sit down and have a few of.

1.37/5  rDev -47.5%

Served in a tulip at Mad Mex Robinson. The color was as pink as you could get, with absolutely no head to speak of. The smell was a overly sweet, almost sickly mango. The taste was malternative-like, with a strong mango flavor covering up any possible trace of what could even be considered beer and an absolutely terrible sickly sweet cloying and almost a horribly bitter aftertaste. Mouthfeel had nothing to it. As for drinkability, it was a miracle I finished this one so I am NEVER going to have another.

Well, the only value to having this one was that it was half-price at Mad Mex's happy hour (best value in the city, by the way). The bartender saw me gagging down every drink I took of this one and asked me "you're really enjoying this one, aren't you?", took a sample himself and made the exact same face, so I feel I'm not the only one that thinks this downright sucks. I don't know who this was made for...too sickly sweet for beer fans and pansy alcopop drinkers aren't going to pay the outrageous price for this one. Good riddance, and I'd be happy if I never saw this beer anywhere ever again.

1.43/5  rDev -45.2%

Had on tap at Tulune's. Poured a grapefruitish color (who would've thought) with a decent creamy head. The smell was very, very fake. The taste was ridiuclously bland, unappealing, unbalanced and disgusting. The grapefruit flavor was very sharp and very fake, was not balanced by anything, and left the mouth with one of the more horrible aftertastes I've ever had. Skip this one.

1.12/5  rDev -57.1%

On tap at Sharp Edge Beer Emporium
A: yellow with a faint pinkish tinge to it. Decent layer of suds.
S: Smells almost exactly like a lambic shouldn't smell. No earthy funky aromas, the only thing here is a sickly sweet sugary grapefruit aroma. Very cloying and quite unpleasant. On the plus side, if you concentrate real hard, you can smell something similar to grapefruit.
T: Overly sweet ginger ale taste, this is like a grapefruit with about three pounds of sugar poured on top. Not even a little sour.
M: Dump sugar in your mouth. same effect. Sickeningly sweet with a syrupy feel to it.
D&N: This is a lambic? Horrible. Definitely a chore to finish as much of this as I did. Stay away from this if you have a family history of diabetes. or taste buds. Truly the worst "beer" I've ever had. Overly sweet with no saving graces like a good smell or mouthfeel.

1.24/5  rDev -52.5%

Bottle: Poured a pink (very similar to grapefruit juice) beer with medium head and no real retention. Grapefruit is the only thing that is discernable. Taste is utterly horrible with some chemical juice that has very little resemblance to actual grapefruit. Another bad syrup base beer from Belgian. You gotta wonder how this county can produce some of the finest beer and the world and also such crap beer as that one.

2.64/5  rDev +1.1%

33 cl bottle. Pours a glowing peachy orange color with a lively pale pink head. Assertive grapefruit nose, wheat malt with some underlying dusty, dry qualities about it. Something synthetic that I can't put my finger on, too. I'm pretty sure it is a wheat-based beer and its sweetness comes through in the taste, but the addition of the pink grapefruit gives it a wonderfully dry finish, but doesn't quite mask the sweetness. Certainly unique. I could do without the synthetic ginger ale taste, though.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Pink Killer from Brasserie de Silly S.A.