Blanche De Namur | Brasserie Du Bocq

bocq.be

Style: Witbier

Added by rastaman on 09-15-2002

3.8

Another startling rate for a startling beer. 86? Really? My palate is a strange one...

I really enjoy this, excellent summer beer! Well accomplished and interesting.

Pours a very beautiful cream white, to cream of wheat, to slightly hazy gold color. A beauty to look at in the glass. Lives up to the 'Blanche' in the name. It has a great white shade that I have rarely seen. Even in other witbiers I've not seen often! Has a lively white head and puts off wonderful smells.

Man... the smell of this beer is great! There is cream and dry wheat in the nose, a little earthy, dustiness with the wheat. It is intriguingly floral, I smell some sweet honey, sugar and vanilla as well. This smell really rises and is pronounced. You get a bit of the coriander and licorice as well... but just a bit. I think the licorice makes it smell a bit soapy, but there is something about that and the flower garden scent that gives it a huge shining depth.

This tastes great too, certainly VERY delicate through and through. Begins with a hint of lemon and then launches into the cream. There is a very interesting combination of cream and orange peel and wheat that occurs. Kind of dry when it reaches the middle. And then it cuts back with the coriander and finally just a pinch of licorice that calls from the back of the mouth. Really interesting and, as mentioned, really delicate.

Mouthfeel is pretty spot on for me. After a long hot spring/summer day. It is a bit dry but at the same time refreshing and interesting enough I am glad the whether is warming up and with this I am not missing the heavy hitters that I love so well on cold winter nights. It's pillowy and effervescent and just really clean. It is a bit tacky on the edges, but I kind of feel like that bit of coating is okay and right as it should be with the dryness in the beer.

This was a good decision... after almost two years since having it last, I'm glad I found another and did it again. The only thing is, now I am kicking myself for not buying at least one more bottle while I had the chance. Overall, a really great witbier.

4.94/5  rDev +30%

4.94/5  rDev +30%

Had to work in the yard and wanted a treat when I was done. I knew of this beers low ABV and thought I would give it a try. Was disappointed. The appearance of the beer was good. Hazy but not too filtered. Looked very white on the pour and was a straw yellow in the glass. It smelled great. Lots of lemon zest and a hint of orange. Really nice smelling beer. The yeast is very very mild which made me think of this being a citrus bomb of a wit beer. I was not wrong at all. In the taste you get the initial flavor of the citrus peel and the tang you get from the oranges sticks around but its a good linger. It has a dry but quenching mouthfeel. Not full bodied like a heff. Overall, this is a very under hyped beer. I would think that Blue Moon drinkers would switch to this if it was marketed and it shows its superior status as a Wit. I enjoyed by bottle in the sun and will look for more.

4.93/5  rDev +29.7%

4.92/5  rDev +29.5%

Best wit ive had to date

4.77/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Honestly, I'm not sure I have had a better tasting witbeir, and I look forward to the day where this one is topped. It has a good, orbust flavor; the orange peel and coriander noted on the bottle certainly make an appearance. It tastes like what blue moon is trying to go for, while maintaining a better body and stronger taste than the Allagash wit and the Unibroue Blanche de Chambly. It pours a wonderful, hazy white with more than a little bit of cotton-candy like foam that eventually dissolved into a glass-clinging 1/8th inch cap. Perfect on a hot day. I really don't know how anything in this style could be much better. Perhaps a bit less spice, but then it would lose the character that makes it so delightful.

4.72/5  rDev +24.2%

Poured into oversized wine glass after cooler chilled for 30 minutes.

A: Hazy, pale white in hue with dash of hay color; Highly fizzy and bumby white headwith impressive three fingers head . Minor lacing with head falling to soapy cover.

S: Powerful, active nose, spices coming first, then orange with licorice to finish.

T: This is so damn good! Smashes your palate with the spices and citris more prominent. Not as much wheatiness or bready-yeast. Fair amount of coriander and hints of ginger.

M: Medium-light in body, airy carbonation, and completely refreshing. Made me smile wide and hight.

D: Joyfully easy to to drink. Quite pungent and tangy for the most part and not as wheaty but I was very impressed and will pull for this one again.

4.7/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a light straw color, very light. Smell of citrus, maybe lemony, very light and nice. Flavor and taste had a lot going on for such a lightly colored offering. Definitely pleasant citrus, coriander....very good. Tasty brew, light, yet full flavored, very smooth and delicious. Darn good Belgian, would definitely recommend, a great summer beer. Wonderful and very refreshing on a hot day.

4.68/5  rDev +23.2%

I agree with dogfood11, but I didn't notice the metallic twang. I love this beer as far as this style is concerned. It beats most in it's class.
Great head, great color, dances on the tongue, refreshing and very easy to drink.
A great summer sipper.
I highly recommend this if you are able to get your paws on it.

4.64/5  rDev +22.1%

A stunning light, yet thick and hazy yellow. Small head with sediment bits floating around.

It's smells like candy! Very sweet, like a sweet dough, yet fruity as well. Very citrusy.

Light, smooth, refreshing, although the smell doesn't translate into flavor as strongly as I would have liked.

Slight stinging from the carbonation.

One of my favorite beers. I can't think of a Belgian white that compares.

4.64/5  rDev +22.1%

The best Witbier I ever had.

The taste is more more about coriander than orange. The carbonation and the color could be a little more effective but the taste is just amazing. I also have tasted it on tap and it's even better...

If you have to try a very good witbier, take this one . My favourite.

4.58/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

One of my favourite beers of all times.
First drank it on tap in Milanese beer pub "La Ratera" then recently found it bottled in Frnce and Italy.
La Blanche de Namur draws a very pale muddy yellowish-whiteish beer with a moderate yet long-standing compact head.
The smell is invitingly fruity and fresh, summoning aromas of banana and orange.
The taste is an exhilrating refreshing triumph of fruitiness which plounges you into a world of fruity sensations encompassing peach banana and orange inspirations and leaves you there pleasantly befuddled and adoring as it slowly fades away. It's the sort of taste whereby your glass is empty before you even realise it.
I recommend drinking this beer alone or eating only faint-tasted food in order to avoid polluting the rafinate cocktail of aromas the brewers have achieved to create.

4.57/5  rDev +20.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Refreshing beer with a smell of orange. Great taste!

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Short story: This might be the best witbier I've ever had.

Long story: Pours a gorgeous semi-hazy gold color with a dense, thick, rocky head. Looks like a massive spring monsoon inside the class from the swirls of carbonation rising through the brew. Absolutely stunning to watch. Smells and tastes of citrus, coriander. Perfectly easy to drink. A slight lemon/wheat to yeast transition -- nothing jarring or misplaced at all. A fine specimen.

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%