Blanche De Namur | Brasserie Du Bocq

Style: Witbier

Added by rastaman on 09-15-2002

View: Beers
3.6/5  rDev -5.5%

1 pt. 9.4 fl.oz. corked bottle, best before Dec. 19, 2008.

Pours very light straw yellow with a thick, foamy head. Champagne-like bubbles quickly and steadily rise to the top. The head slowly descends to a thin, lasting cover.

The smell is of coriander, orange peel and fresh graininess. Some subtle floral notes in background.

The taste is of coriander and orange, with a late lemon twist. Not sure that I caught the liquorice, as stated on the label. Maybe a bit, but probably more because I expected it (If I caught it at all.) In any case, it didn't have any noticeable effect on the taste. Sweet maltiness almost overpowers the spices as the drink progresses. Finishes more sweet than dry.

The body thins too much. A certain wateriness that was detectable in the taste emerges more in the feel. Longer sips are required for any flavor to linger for too long, and even then it is more of the malt sweetness than the spices. Rather champagne-like, the carbonation is a bit too much for me - helps the flavor vanish just too quickly. Light and effervescent.

Overall, it's pleasant enough, but too sweet. I was hoping to catch the liquorice as an interesting addition, but it didn't come through. Maybe it didn't work and the brewer cut back on it? I don't know. To me, it was decent enough, but not what I have come to expect from a wit from Belgium. Might have if someone offers a bit, but nothing I would get more of.

4.17/5  rDev +9.4%

Found this on the shelves of some NYC grocery store while scouring 2nd Ave. for something, anything better than Newcastle. Bingo!

Got a healthy cork pop out of the bomber bottle, pouring a silky head atop a dirty light-yellow color.

Smells are sweet and spicy, orange coming through prominently.

Flavor is great, with zesty citrus, sweet spices (anise is obvious) and interesting toastiness. A witbier with some heft. Robust flavors and good depth, slightly bitter finish.

The velvety, creamy mouthfeel only helps this great beer.

Blanche De Namur delivers all that a unique witbier should offer. One of the bolder ones out there too, thanks to the spicy addition of anise.

4.39/5  rDev +15.2%

Looks awesome for a white beer in the glass. Doesn't really smell all that much - nothing bad, and nothing noticeably inviting either. Taste is just superior. I think I may have gotten a "good bottle," in that the way it had been shipped, handled, its age, etc, was just right. Mouth feel was excellent - soft, tart bubbly. Easily quaffable.

Carbonation enhances the flavor. Soapy feel. Enjoyed cold. Mild coriander flavor, ultra mild citrus. My idea of a nearly perfect white beer.

First beer of the evening so beer goggles weren't on yet. I like white beers, like Hoegaarden, etc, and this certainly ranks with the best of them.

3.9/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured out cloudy and blonde with a frothy white head. Small amount of lacing. The nose offers lots of orange, with a light malt note lurking in the back. The taste is more spicy than sweet, with coriander and orangepeel and some heavy malt flavors. Mouthfeel was light-bodied and highly carbonated. Finished fairly dry with lingering spice.

3.88/5  rDev +1.8%

Large Belgian style bottle, corked with a strip of metel over the top. Best before or some sort of date on the rear label of "21/03/09" (!) Pours light cardboardy yellow, very cloudy, with a near white loose head, that exhibited moderarte retention, and left just a smidge of loose lacing. Nose here is of dried coriander and liquorice. Easy drinking, citrusy wit, seems to have pretty low carbonation, nutty and yeasty. Allowed to warm and swirled to mix in the yeast, this is a tasty, refreshing light Belgian, bring on the endive salad, moules and frites...

4.19/5  rDev +10%

Poured from bomber into Hoegaarden glass.

A: Light straw yellow, yeast in suspension makes it hazy but not quite opaque. White head disappears quickly.

S: Strong nose on this one. Coriander, clove, wheat, citrus. A bit spicier than most wits.

T/M: Bottle says it's brewed with licorice, but I'm not sure I taste that. It IS a bit spicier than most Belgian wits, but that's mostly in the black pepper department. There's a good amount of spice up front with some wheat and citrus toward the middle. Finish is peppery and long. Mouthfeel is a bit tingly but crisp.

D: Really crisp, and is spicy more than citrusy. A very pleasant wit for sure. The extra spiciness makes it seem a bit more...sophisticated? I'm not sure that's the word I want. But it's not like your run-of-the-mill wit quencher.

4.07/5  rDev +6.8%

Sampled back to back with a few other Wits.

Pours a pastel coludy yellow, inch of white foam. Aroma mostly of coriander and orange zest. No licorice present, contrary to the label. Mouthfeel is smooth and wheaty, not bad. Stacks up well to other standard versions, but doesn't bring many unique elements to the table. Slightly more spice than say, Hoegaarden. Easily sessionable, 2 shared pints were gone in minutes...Overall a solid Witbier, true to style.

Purchased at Uncork-It, $5.89 for a 750.

3.69/5  rDev -3.1%

9/13/2006 $5.49 750 mL 4.50% No best by date. No 143351 on cork.

Pours a slightly hazy pale sickly yellow with 2 inches of foamy white head that settles slowly.

Bursting with orange peel, coriander, clove black pepper and a hint of licorice.

Slightly coarse mouthfeel with loads of banana, clove and black pepper. Drying finish with a touch of sweetness. Drinkable, if not exciting.

3.55/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Sample at AleFest Dayton: Pours a cloudy pale yellow-gold color with a thin white head that lasts awhile. Thin and slick lacing. The aroma is spicy with cloves, along with some honey and wheat. Light-bodied and crisp with a mildly spicy character, plus citrus and wheat flavor. The finish is wheaty with a bit of hops aftertaste. Slightly above average overall.

4.68/5  rDev +22.8%

I agree with dogfood11, but I didn't notice the metallic twang. I love this beer as far as this style is concerned. It beats most in it's class.
Great head, great color, dances on the tongue, refreshing and very easy to drink.
A great summer sipper.
I highly recommend this if you are able to get your paws on it.

4.19/5  rDev +10%

750ml poured into a pilsner glass it formed an easily managed Ivory white, loose head that is maintained by a highly active, zippy carbonation. Lacing is the sticky coating variety. This is probably the closest to opaque I've seen from a beer, literally white w/ just a touch of yellow towards the core.

Lemony, citrus up front. Lighter fruits make up the base in the middle, mostly some peach and apple. An amazingly fresh feel to this beer, very crisp and clean. I do get some metallic annoyance towards the end that is dissapointinge but it can't take down a superb offering. Finishes a bit dry and vineous.

Notes: Damn the Metallic twinge DAMN THE METALLIC TWINGE, otherwise this would have scored much higher and truly is an amazing and dynamic session quality Witbier, better than hoegaarden in my opinion.

4.05/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a hazy straw color with a lively, active carbination. Smells strongly of wheat malt. Taste is that of a classic wheat beer. Light in the mouth with a zesty spicyness. The mouthfeel is good with just the right level of carbination. A very drinkable wheat beer.

Poured into a Hoegaarden glass from a 750ml bottle. No date. Pours a very pale yellow, and very cloudy in typlical witbier fashion. Light but very fizzy head, you can actually hear it bubbling.

Smells very strongly of oranges, with a light wheaty taste in the background. Not much else, as the orangepeel overpowers any other scent that may be in there.

The taste is far from the scent. More spicy than sweet, as was hinted by the strong orange presence I smelled. Coriander is the heaviest taste here, and the orangepeel has moved to more of an undertone. Heavy wheat presence as well. The bottle claims this was brewed with licorice as well, but I am having a hard time picking that out. Much more complex than the smell, though nothing special.

Light-bodied and highly carbonated. Typical for a wit.

Light, refreshing, and low ABV with decent flavor. Just what a good wit's supposed to be. Tastes pretty good too, very good summer drink.

3.3/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazy pale yellow, with a one finger head that fades very quickly to a thin spotty cap, leaving behind a minimal amount of lace.

Smell; very much on the mild side. There's a little orange peel, and coriander, with a light wheat presence. I don't smell any of the licorice that the label claims is in this.

Taste; the flavor is actually even more thin than the aroma was, and I'm having a hard time picking out any favors other than the orange and coriander. If I concentrate hard enough, I can almost trick myself into tasting the licorice. Mouthfeel is light bodied, with only a little bit of carbonation.

3.77/5  rDev -1%

06/19/06- Purchased at Draeger's Market in San Mateo, CA.

Presentation- 750ml bottle with no freshness dating. Bottle both caged and corked. Poured into my Blanche de Chambly witbier glass.

Appearance- Frosted yellow in color. Full inch plus head which levels off at a nice large rim. Streaks and spots of lace. No real super large chunks like some of the great looking ones.

Smell- Pretty much spot on. A bit of corriander here, some white pepper there...lemon get the picture. About what a wit should smell like. Not bursting out of the glass though. You have to dig your nose in deep to get some.

Taste- Nice light powdered sugar aftertaste. Light and peppery with a dash of corriander. Not quite as much sweetness as I would like. Some sips give you an average taste and some give you a super sour lemon rind flavor. Kinda off and on. Hard to figure out why.

Mouthfeel- About the normal carbonation rate. Lasting lemon rind aftertaste to go with the mild sugar. A bit dry as well.

Drinkability- A bit above an average wit. Quenched my thirst like it was supposed to. Probably wouldn't try again because I can find some of my other favorites for less cash. Still worth a try if you see it out there.

3.65/5  rDev -4.2%

Acid-washed maize with a mini horde of superfine bubbles zipping up to the cotton white head. Speaking of white, this is the palest 'white' beer that I've ever had, I do believe. The foam is pillowy soft, yet still creamy and sticky; a remarkable combination that looks fabulous and may result in some pretty good glass coverage if it ever deflates. Unfortunately, very little lace is created.

The nose is unique for the style, possibly due to the addition of licorice. Orange peel is far and away the dominant aroma and is complimented by a subdued whiff of coriander. I'm certain that I would never have identified the licorice without knowing of its presence and I'm not even sure that I can identify it now. It does, however, add olfactory interest. Let's hope that it works as well on the palate.

The licorice is really only noted on the finish and is subtle even then. On further reflection, that's probably a good thing. I love black licore and anise, but a witbier is really no place for those particular flavors. What is more easily appreciated isn't setting my world on fire. I like my wits more full-flavored than this. More orange, more coriander, or preferably, more of both, would improve the beer immensely.

The flavor is essentially a carbon copy of the nose. For some reason though, I don't like it quite as much. Orange citrus is still the dominant flavor, but it's dry, bitter orange-flavored tonic water rather than sweet juicy orange like I'd like. Appreciating the coriander requires a little too much work. I like the spice to be more upfront than it is here. As I get into the middle of the bottle, I'm not sure that I was ever able to appreciate licorice.

The body is definitely on the lighter side of this relatively light-bodied style. It's also pretty vigorously carbonated; too much so as far as I'm concerned. I didn't compare it to tonic water in the previous paragraph for nothing. I like my wits to be a bit more lush and gentle in the mouth.

Blanche de Namur would be a better beer if it was a more boldly flavored beer. The addition of licorice to the classic witbier recipe, if added in just the right amount, could have made this a quirky, memorable, delicious version. With so many better wits in circulation, I just can't bring myself to recommend it.

3.73/5  rDev -2.1%

The body pours exactly like I would expect a wit bier to pour. If the head were a bit thicker I would have given it a 5.
Smell is pretty nice, but I believe it could use a bit more orange peel.
Taste is smooth. Slightly sweet. A bit of citrus bite. Light. Mouthfeel is a bit too bubbly, in my opinion, and this adversely affects drinkability. Worth trying, but I'm still looking for my perfect wit bier.

3.55/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Hazy, pale white in hue with a tickle of hay-gold influences; the liquid plays the part of a Wit well. Fizzy, slightly rocky white head; at the apex the foam was over three fingers tall. Decent head retention, the bubbles steadily faded to a thin, soapy collar. There was no subsequent lacing. Still this is a lovely looking beer.

Potent, vibrant nose that says “Wit” right off the bat; I love outspoken beers. Spices upfront, coriander mainly but I swear I smell ginger as well. The orange peel rounds out the spiciness. Black licorice hints are at the end. This is not a “wheaty” Wit; in fact the wheat aromas are extremely minimal. I’d like more wheat and bready-yeast but I do like the nose nevertheless.

Potent, vibrant palate that is dominated by spices. IMO, this Wit is more like Blue Moon Belgian White than it is St. Bernardus Witbier as this beer lacks wheatiness and a pleasant bready-yeast slurry. I do taste plenty of coriander and licorice with hints of ginger and other spices… orange peel is found at the end. The spiciness wear me thin after awhile; more wheat-malt is needed for balance. At best I can call this a solid Wit but it doesn’t sit with my palate perfectly.

Medium-light in body, airy carbonation, the mouthfeel fits the style well. I do find the “spirit” of the beer refreshing but the spice tire me out.

It is easy to drink. I still think this would be tasty with pancakes or rice crispy treats. When all is said and done this is a decent Wit but it doesn’t suit me that well. Still, I could drink this again. I purchased my 750ml bottle in Council Bluffs, IA for $6. Worth a try.

4.1/5  rDev +7.6%

Draught in Aarhus, Denmark. Pale golden milky colour, low head. Typical witbier aroma and flavour of orange peel and coriander, but there’s also a sufficient base of wheat malts and hops to support it. Well balanced, smooth and very pleasant and refreshing to drink. Not a beer that pops up and says BOOH! - but a very nice one all the same.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured a light orange with a thick foam head.

There was a zesty lemon/orange smell.

Taste was of oranges and bananas with a light hop bitterness.

Not very carbonated. Maybe even a little undercarbonated.

Good beer. Just a little expensive and I can think of better beers to buy instead of this.

3.28/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Classic color, hazy white (with the yeast; without it is a clear and very light yellow). Beautiful head, creamy and quite compact.
Blanche smell: orange peel, spices and pepper, coriander.
In the taste there are again the classic notes for the style. Although the spices (and the citric too) is quite evident, it remains light, pleasant, and balanced.
In the aftertaste spices in evidence, and citric.

Note: in somewhat, it is often partly spoiled from the cork smell (when in a 75cl bottle with sugar cork)

3.92/5  rDev +2.9%

Thick dense velvety head, scintillating as it fades on the hazy pale golden color body. The smell is quite enjoyable with pronounced notes of citrus, especially orange, a deep yeast presence and several spices (coriander, pepper, cinammon). Very sweet, and very sour cream-pie like. The taste is no surprize after having smelled the beer: very fruity, with bananas and oranges, sweet, and with hints of tart. It goes down easily, thanks to a light (maybe a bit too light) mouthfeel. It could be a bit more dense, but even in its thinness it is quite creamy. The spicy peppery notes bring an enjoyable extra note to the whole taste. Quite a good brew.

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

Typical Witbier appearance, light yellow and hazy. Very light and spritzy in the mouth. Evident black pepper aroma. A bit too dry, lacks malt to balance the spicing. Some citrusy notes. Would be an excellent beer to enjoy on the beach in hot conditions.

Enjoyed on tap at Beer Weekend in Grand Place, Sept 4, 2004.

3.78/5  rDev -0.8%

Lemon peel in the nose. Very bright orange color in the goblet. Bright pale white lasting sticky head. Sweet wheat taste with waves of lemon peel and orange rind. The finish also has a little black pepper. Smooth medium mouth with a dry tongued finish. A nice beer.

3.48/5  rDev -8.7%

75cl bottle, Lot # 136287...

Appearance: light straw color, delectably hazy, luscious stand of frothy white foam, lacey

Aroma: light scent of honey, coriander, lime peel, chamomile, grain and floral hops, a bit soapy

Flavor: very dry malt/wheat profile, big bloom of medicinal phenols and spice, orange peel, yeast, finishes dry with a tangy aftertaste of coriander and dusty grain

Mouthfeel: light body, lots of prickly carbonation, a bit minerally

Other comments: One of the drier wits I've tried. Not heavy-handed with the spices (which is a good thing). The appearance and aroma are its strong suits and the taste just seems to falter with that kind of "opening act".

My favorite wit is still the humble Wittekerke or Blanche de Chambly.

Blanche De Namur from Brasserie Du Bocq