Oxford Gold | W.H. Brakspear & Sons plc

Style: English Pale Ale

Added by bark on 11-16-2007

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This isn't the first time I'm drinking this one. I have bought it a couple of times. It's a quite inexpensive for an English ale (in Sweden), and it's organic (which makes my girlfriend happy!)

I pour the beer in the usual oversized wineglass and a pale (almost white) head forms. It dissolves after a couple of minutes into a thin ring. The liquid is golden.

It smells a little of malt. There is also a fresh smell of hops.

The taste is balanced; some malt, some hops. The immediate taste isn't very bitter, but there is some bitter notes of hopes in the aftertaste.

The beer feels nice in the mouth, and the small bubbles are just right.

It's is very gulpable beer, not very special but really nice.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev +2.8%

The beer is clear dark golden with a hint of copper, a rather small white head that leaves good lacing.

The smell is sweet oranges, with a hint of bitter lemon peel.

The smell has a little honey sweetness, some orange sour notes, but mainly bitterness, grape-fruit seeds and zest.

Medium high carbonation, small bubbles, a distinct dryness.

A good distinct bitter brew.

3.69/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%

Drank from my Bombardier Conic Pint Glass.

A - Pours a nice porange copper colour with a nice fluffy white head that retains well.

S - Plenty of hops and malts

T - Up front some caramel toffee flavours with a spicey middle finished with a boozey bitterness.

M - Medium body low carbonation and dry finish.

D - Plenty in this beer to keep you interested.

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.67/5  rDev +1.1%

A: A nice white head on this amber English pale ale.

S: A malty, honey and a bit alcohol.

T: Actually a nice surprise. A malty, bitter pale ale with a honey, citrus tone. A very well balanced bitter mild ale, in true British nature. A sharp end to this, for me, currently unknown beer.

A: Well worth a try.

3.67/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.66/5  rDev +0.8%

A pleasant surprise, have been passing this over in the supermarket for ages but will certainly be buying again.
Poured into a Grottenbier chalice, gave a nice head which held reasonably well, leaving some nice lacing on its way down.
Quite fragrant, but doesn't beg you to gulp it down. Lovely bitter fruitiness that hit my sweet spot this evening.

3.66/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

Cloudy, deep honey colour. A little head disappears soon, leaving some lacing to the bottom.

The smell is good. I liked it better from the bottle before I poured it. A bit of citrus and... graham cracker? That could be honey coming through, too.

Taste has just a hint of peppery spice, which is nice. A bit of citrus (grapefruit / more orange). Starts tasting a bit like a Sam Adams' Summer Ale as the bottle wears on.

Carb is sharp if held in the mouth for a couple of seconds. On regular drinks, it's fine. A bit of a bitter / dry finish. Not watery.

Quite drinkable.

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Amber color. Poured a two finger head with low retention.
Fruity aroma, with notes of caramel and honey.
Interesting flavor, I was expecting something quite sweet, but I got a nice predominant English hops taste and decent malt. Notes of non-sweet plums and herbs. Dry and with a nice bitterness long aftertaste.
Light body with medium carbonation and small bubbles.
This was close to expiration date, I guess it aged quite well. Very well balanced beer, not too heavy but not boring, I would be more than happy to quaff a six pack.

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.63/5  rDev 0%

A nice cloudy orangey gold colour with a thin white head, nice lacing and lots of bubbles.

Lemony citrus and sweet malty aroma with some honey.

Very refreshing, nice biscuity malts, nice and sweet body that finishes slightly bitter. This would be a perfect beer on a hot summer day.

3.63/5  rDev 0%

Pours a ruddy gold with a diminutive foamy cap. The aroma is of honey, grainy malts and lemon drops. The taste is pretty light with a soft, cookiedough maltiness and a clean, citrusy hop feel. Green melon and a bit of musty grain show in the background. The finish is lightly bitter with honey sweetness. The mouthfeel is rather full and briskly carbonated.

A decent light ale with nuance and balance. It could be more robust without entering the English bitter or pale ale realm.

3.62/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Brakspear is the Shakespeare of English Beer... not really but I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to enunciate that statement, it was like part of my brain was thinking “Brakspear, Shakespeare” whilst another part was going “please no, don’t put another terrible pun in a review” too late, I did it and there’s no changing it now sucker! [err, yes, there is a button called ‘backspace’ that could work wonders for your reviews]... *brain-to-brain murmurs* OK I’ve worked it out with myself - I will keep telling terrible puns and I will also keep plying the dignity self-censorship portion of my brain with alcohol - as far as I can see it’s a win-win situation.

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Butter-Menthols (Google it) is the exact colour of the body of this beer, I can’t even describe it to you - you just have to Google it. True story: Butter-Menthols are so good that as a kid I looked forward to catching a cold just so I could have some, of course now I simply drink a beer that is heavy in Diacetyl when I’ve got a cold and make it even worse but as they say: with age comes wisdom (teeth). The head was gone in a flash, typical English head, I believe it was cream-coloured. 7/10.

S: Aroma is quite floral with a medicinal note and some cider apples thrown in... colour me “what-the-f__k-is-this?” which is a purple-brown hue. Hint of lemon in there as well perhaps? Indeed. Malt, where are you hiding today? 8/10.

T: The flavour is floral, like a potpourri, my mouth has never been so much like an air freshener, with hints of the following: Citrus, biscuit malt and apple ester with an astringent dry finish - it’s the classic dry gin martini equivalent of a beer - you can feel this brew evaporate turning your tongue into the Sahara. Not bad, if you’re into that sort of thing. 7/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with a light carbonation and the aforementioned astringency dominating the palate here... the Japanese are totally jealous. 7/10.

D: I like Brakspear - so far I’ve tried two of their beers and they’ve been completely different unlike another certain brewer whom I just reviewed (I’ll give you a hint: sheep, possibly a herd, managed by someone named “Neame”) for whom it is difficult to pick their brews apart from each other. But I digress (my favourite activity) as this Brakspear is a brew I recommend with a caveat - do you have another drink handy because this is one dry MOFO. 7/10.

Food match: WARNING: DO NOT CONSUME WATER CRACKERS WITH THIS BEER.

3.61/5  rDev -0.6%

Appearance - The bottle is a nice classic label with a bee logo and lists a best before date with a pry off top. It comments on how the beer is organic and has been brewed the same since 1779. Pours with a solid two inches of head that laces very well and retains it's head. The beer itself is a crystal clear dark gold color and even the carbonation looks solid. Thumbs up.

Smell - Definitely catching honey, but it's not as sweet as I expect it to be. That is probably because I'm also smelling a citrus like hop smell as well as undertones of dry grain and biscuits. Could be a bit stronger and mesh a bit better, but all in all I'm a fan.

Taste - Starts with a biscuit taste and as it's drunk the taste of honey and lemon start to go to war which frankly seems a little bit too balanced. I'm not really catching the full sweetness of the honey nor the impact of the citrus flavor. It finishes with a dry bitter wheat flavor.

Mouthfeel - The indecisive taste of the beer isn't really doing my tongue any favors. That and the dry end of the beer is leaving a lingering aftertaste and isn't very pleasant. That and as you drink more of the beer, the aftertaste builds. The carbonation is quite good though.

Drinkability - On one end, the influx of flavor, nice smell and lightness of the stomach are definite pros and make you want to keep drinking. On the other hand, the aftertaste and dryness make it a bit hard going down. This isn't something I'd want to drink all night, that is for sure, but it's not that bad.

Final Thoughts - As many people have commented, this would be a great session ale. It's different then the usual, has a low alcohol content and does have an interesting influx of flavors going for it. Also, being able to cleanse my pallet of the aftertaste is welcome.

Oxford Gold from W.H. Brakspear & Sons plc