Oxford Gold | W.H. Brakspear & Sons plc

Added by bark on 11-16-2007

4.63/5  rDev +27.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

3.66/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.71/5  rDev -25.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Bottle from Ramstein BritShop. Gold? In color, yes. Else wise, this beer comes off kind of weak and watery. Tastes more like a pale lager than a bitter. A little disappointing....

3.43/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

4.13/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2.5/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

4.03/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a 500ml bottle into an imperial pint glass.

Clear, light copper colour with light carbonation and a large, creamy, off-white head that leaves plenty of lacing. Looks fabulous.

Smells of light honey, malt, and lemon flowers.

Taste is of a first-rate English golden ale with hints of grass, lemon and florals atop a solid, semi-sweet malt base.

Medium body. Extra smooth with a little stickiness and a dry, bitter finish. Gentle carbonation. Light coating of the tongue that lasts a while after each mouthful.

Great example of an English pale ale that delivers exceptional flavour for 4.6% ABV. Smooth, refreshing, easy-drinking. Best served chilled.

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.62/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Brakspear is the Shakespeare of English Beer... not really but I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to enunciate that statement, it was like part of my brain was thinking “Brakspear, Shakespeare” whilst another part was going “please no, don’t put another terrible pun in a review” too late, I did it and there’s no changing it now sucker! [err, yes, there is a button called ‘backspace’ that could work wonders for your reviews]... *brain-to-brain murmurs* OK I’ve worked it out with myself - I will keep telling terrible puns and I will also keep plying the dignity self-censorship portion of my brain with alcohol - as far as I can see it’s a win-win situation.

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a nonic pint.

A: Butter-Menthols (Google it) is the exact colour of the body of this beer, I can’t even describe it to you - you just have to Google it. True story: Butter-Menthols are so good that as a kid I looked forward to catching a cold just so I could have some, of course now I simply drink a beer that is heavy in Diacetyl when I’ve got a cold and make it even worse but as they say: with age comes wisdom (teeth). The head was gone in a flash, typical English head, I believe it was cream-coloured. 7/10.

S: Aroma is quite floral with a medicinal note and some cider apples thrown in... colour me “what-the-f__k-is-this?” which is a purple-brown hue. Hint of lemon in there as well perhaps? Indeed. Malt, where are you hiding today? 8/10.

T: The flavour is floral, like a potpourri, my mouth has never been so much like an air freshener, with hints of the following: Citrus, biscuit malt and apple ester with an astringent dry finish - it’s the classic dry gin martini equivalent of a beer - you can feel this brew evaporate turning your tongue into the Sahara. Not bad, if you’re into that sort of thing. 7/10.

M: Mid to light bodied with a light carbonation and the aforementioned astringency dominating the palate here... the Japanese are totally jealous. 7/10.

D: I like Brakspear - so far I’ve tried two of their beers and they’ve been completely different unlike another certain brewer whom I just reviewed (I’ll give you a hint: sheep, possibly a herd, managed by someone named “Neame”) for whom it is difficult to pick their brews apart from each other. But I digress (my favourite activity) as this Brakspear is a brew I recommend with a caveat - do you have another drink handy because this is one dry MOFO. 7/10.

Food match: WARNING: DO NOT CONSUME WATER CRACKERS WITH THIS BEER.

3.69/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.59/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.67/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.81/5  rDev +5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%