Heineken Dark Lager | Heineken Nederland B.V.

good
Read the review
Heineken Dark LagerHeineken Dark Lager

Heineken Nederland B.V.
Netherlands
heineken.com

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-08-2001

a friend recommended this beer for me to try, and im glad he did. its incredibly hard to find it but i finally found it after looking @ 30 different liquor stores i finally found 3 six packs at a bevmo in orange county (and bought all 3 of them). normally i cannot drink heineken but i can easily say this is brew is now one of my top 5 favorites of all time. if you ever get a chance to at least try it DO NOT pass it up.

4.98/5  rDev +52.3%

Good but still no the perfect one for me

4.89/5  rDev +49.5%

4.85/5  rDev +48.3%

I've always been a huge fan of Heineken and when i found that they made a dark lager i went to all ends of the earth to find it....and i'm glad i did

Dark reddish brown, with a rich tan head to it.

Nice smokey smell, with hints of maple.

Tastes like your typical dark lager but with a thicker, sweet maltier taste that has a hint of maple.

Not much of an after taste but the beer gives a full mouth feel.Has a creamy feel to it.

One of my favorite beers be far.Highly drinkable if you can find it...it's that damn good!

4.75/5  rDev +45.3%

4.65/5  rDev +42.2%

a beer that i thought that was every where but i was wrong.

A= pours a brown color in the amber family with a cream color head.

S= hoppy smell.

T= a toffe/butterscotch taste with hops

MF=smooth wiht medium cardonation.

this beer leaves light lacing behind, this is one of my favorites
everyone should try it.

cheers!

4.57/5  rDev +39.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer mug.

Appearance: The beer pours forth from the bottle with a deep ruby/mahogany color. One-finger thick head recedes to a simple frothy coating on the top of the beer. Very dark...not opaque, but close to it.

Smell: This is a very intriguing scent, something I haven't experienced a lot of lately. At first, it seems like licorice, but I suppose it could be nutmeg and/or cinnamon as well. This is a beer that would go great with pumpkin pie, a great fall beer. Smells amazing.

Taste: Truly spectacular. Definitely a nutmeg/cinnamon vibe to it which sets complacently in the malty base. The hops are not overdone; nothing about this brew is overdone. Though I can detect six or seven distinct flavors (anise, cinnamon, nutmeg, pumpkin, malt, hops) not one overshadows any other. The fact that it is so perfectly mixed makes me want to give this brew a five. What the heck.

Mouthfeel: Lightly syrupy, it gently coats the tongue. Savorable, yet it rinses cleanly. Also very, very good.

Drinkability: I could definitely drink more than a few of these on a long night. The only stopping point is the fact that this beer is so extraordinarily tasty, I wouldn't want to burn myself out on it. It's also just a little rich for a session beer, so I can't give it a perfect score here.

This beer (according to the label) won two awards in Paris in the 1800s. If that's the only critical acclaim this beer has enjoyed, that would be a shame. I would definitely recommend this beer to anyone who enjoys a good dark lager. Just fantastic.

4.5/5  rDev +37.6%

4.5/5  rDev +37.6%

4.41/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Heineken Dark Lager Brewed by Heineken Nederland B.V., with an ABV of 5.0% This brew pours out a dark amber color with a nice off white head. Dark Lager has the look of cola. The smell is sweet with grains and malts. You pick up a hit of hops in this brew. The taste is rich with some caramel and malts. This brew has a nice sweetness to it. There is nothing overpowering in it, it has a nice balance to it. The mouthfeel is bold , rich and full of flavor. There is a mild sweetness to this brew. Overall I'm giving Heineken Dark Lager a 4.5 out of 5. I would buy this brew again.
Heineken Dark Lager change my mind on Heineken Brews. FYI: this was in a BROWN bottle. Not Green.

4.38/5  rDev +33.9%

Appearance- Dark brown though with red shines. Nice close foamy head off the pour, nice appearance overall.

Smell- Fresh grains, cream, nutty and slight yeast and malty smell, basically the smell of tamed out lager almost metallic nose.

Taste- Nice balance of malts and lager kind of a flavor, reminds me of a lighter bock, very refreshing malts with a very slight touch of hops

Mouth feel- Very smooth creamy and easy drinking, light body and acid notes coming from CO2.

Drinkability- Nice balance of a lighter lager and slightly darker tones, easy to drink more than a six pack.

4.37/5  rDev +33.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. No stamped date.

Appearance - Dark, clear ruby brown/black body. One finger light brown/tan head with decent to low stick and decent to low retention.

Smell - Dark roasted malts. Lots of banana. Sweet, non-hoppy profile.

Taste - Dark chocolate malts. Banana. Coffee. True to the the smell. Extremely faint hop. No off characters. Very smooth.

Mouthfeel - Smooth. Medium bodied. Very light effervescence. Pleasantly non solvent nor sticky. Very mildly astringent/acidic.

Overall Drinkability - While I don't have high regard for its light lager brother, this beer might be one of the best in the Euro Dark Lager style. At least as far as I've had. Not much in the way of off characters except for the slight metallic astringency and mild acidity, but that might be a result of shelf life. Not amazing in any sense, but definitely worth a try.

4.36/5  rDev +33.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Not sure why all the scores are mediocre for this beer.

A - Dark, a little bit of light came through.

S - Nothing special here. Basic lager aroma.

T - Blew me away. Some mix of iced coffee, toffee, and barley. Kind of like Guinness Draught but even that's not an apt comparison.

M- Closer to a lighter stout than a typical lager.

O - Pleasantly surprised given the tepid ratings for this beer. I'll definitely drink this in the future.

4.33/5  rDev +32.4%

First of all I have to take this one with a grain of Heineken Salt - per say. Heineken has it's own strain of yeast and signature undertones like North Coast and many other breweries. The difference here is Heineken is typically much older than those. That given:

This pours a beautiful dark brown - tannic like the Louisiana Swamp - Admittedly odd for a Dutch beer but I go with what I know - after all it is a hell of a lot better than the color of the Amstel - no?

The nose is rich roasted malt with the signature Heineken Hops. The mouthfeel is perky and carbonated with a smooth finish.

The taste is nearly excellent - Heineken Lager is good - this is much better. I really enjoy this and I am glad I tried it again after so many hundreds of other beers. This somewhat reminds me of St. Sebastiann Dark meets Heineken Lager. - The best of both worlds; if you catch my meaning. The flavor is robust with a hint of roasting and the classic Heineken flavor. Sweet Malt with lively hops touched off by signature yeast.

Very satisfying still to this day. Heineken’s Lager is such a large seller it becomes a "typical" beer that is for every day drinking on a budget that can replace absolute shit beer like Bud or Miller, etc...

The downside of that is we become too accustomed to The Lager as a bare minimum beer. Therefore we give little credibility to the other Heineken’s on the market. Get past that commercial stigmata - then you can enjoy their more craftier brews.

4.27/5  rDev +30.6%

This beer makes me feel like I am drinking a less filling porter. I love the flavor and smell. It's smooth with a great semi-coffee aftertaste. I'm definitely a Brown/Amber Lager kind of guy, so this beer fit right into my preference. I think this beer will be my staple for a while.

4.25/5  rDev +30%

great beer better then the normal Heineken.

4.25/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I would consider this an underrated beer for sure. I never heard of it until I was at a friend's place, and was handed a bottle of it, and was very thankful once I started drinking it. It is definitely a little bit darker than a normal lager, but that makes it enjoyable to me, since most porters are too dark, but sometimes I like to have darker beers than a traditional lager. If you have not tried this beer, I would definitely recommend it.

4.25/5  rDev +30%

Sampled this afternoon while watching some football. Been awhile since I had one of these and used to come in a different bottle. Used to drink this back in the '80's every now and then. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a tulip glass.

Pours a deep mahogany in color with some ruby highlights. About a good 1/2 finger of foamy beige head is seen when first poured. Settles down a a few mm's during the drink. Spotty lacing is seen that sticks to the sides of the glass. The aroma is mostly of sweet dark roasted malts with a hint of dark fruits. Pretty much the same for the taste with a hint of dark bread also. Very smooth and goes down easy. Forgot how good this one is. I like this much better that the regular Heini that comes in the green bottle. Medium-bodied with medium carbonation. Overall a great brew!

4.21/5  rDev +28.7%

What can I say? I recently hit upon a local gold mine in terms of singles for sale. I just want to drink different beers until I find The One. It is sort of the same reason that I am still single.

From the bottle: "Brewed with passion for quality."

The pour erased any question that it might not be dark. I had two-plus fingers of rocky, deep-tan head by the time that I was done and it looked like the top of a root beer float. Color was ruby-red with NE-quality clarity and I began to think of the last time I had seen a beer this pretty. Nose was rich with caramel, toffee, even coconut. Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was very caramel-like with a hint of smoke on the tongue. Finish was likewise faintly smoky and semi-dry, not sweet at all. First of all, I am not ashamed to say that I was impressed. Secondly, is it too much to ask them to CAN this beer? I would readily put some in the cooler.

4.2/5  rDev +28.4%

Pours a rusty brown remeniscient of what iced tea concentrate would look like with a frothy, khaki head that maintains its integrity. Leaves a little lacing. Clean lager aromas with a dark malty backbone and a faint herbal hops scent (possibly goldings?). Big malty flavors start this one off. Toasted and roasted malt lingers on the tongue along with the herbal hops. Just damned clean. Only fault is that it drinks a little watery. The flavors up front seem to die off too quickly. Mouthfeel is creamy with a very soft carbonation. Again, like with the taste, this seems a bit watery in the mouth. The only fault I see here. Perfect drinkability. Lots of flavor and a relatively thin body make this for optimal fall sessioning. I just wish I had bought more than this single. A surprising offering from Heineken.

Heineken Dark Lager from Heineken Nederland B.V.