Heineken Dark Lager | Heineken Nederland B.V.

good
Read the review
Heineken Dark LagerHeineken Dark Lager

Heineken Nederland B.V.
Netherlands | website

Style: Euro Dark Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-08-2001

Reviews: 258 | Ratings: 621
3.72/5  rDev +13.4%

This beer looks really neat because it's a reddish brown color with a creamy brown head. The smell is an awesome creamy, sour deliciousness. The taste is the kicker though. There's a strange sourness that I can't really figure out. I'm not too crazy about this. I mean it's neat but not worth going out of your way to try. The mouthfeel is average because it's just like any other normal lager beer but some corosive graininess. I'd say overall I'd probably care for one or two then after that I'd just go to something normal..

4.19/5  rDev +27.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I know of no other Beer that gets slagged and slammed more than "Heineken"..Other than say "Corona"~Regular Heineken gets a "Poor" Rating here on Beeradvocate,which is just mind boggling & for the Life of me,something I just cannot Understand whatsoever,@ all,it actually gets me a bit pissed off to be Honest,Because I think a LOT of people are Rating Heineken [and most Lagers] as SHIT,Just because they themselves do not like Lagers in general,most of all "Mass produced Macro Lagers" all these craft Beer "Snobs" need to stop this Crap,and start Rating Beers based on their "Style" and not Compare them to their own personal Favorite Beers and Ales,if a Beer is a "Lager",then rate it as such,and for gods sake man,stop bashing Beers just because you do not like the perticular Style! it's Bullshit~
anyway~Heineken Dark is simply an Amazing Beer,an Amazing Lager Beer,it is Roasty and full of Flavor,at first you pick up a nice roasted malt flavor & perhaps some hints of Chocolate & Caramel,and as the Beer warms a bit these flavors become much more pronounced and you can pick up a wee bit of Coffee and just a slight toffee taste also.
Heineken Dark is by Far my Favorite Dark Lager Beer,and I Myself have never tasted another Dark Lager that even comes close to it's perfect balance of flavors and taste,it simply is an utterly Delishious and perfectly rounded Beer~Cheers!

2.98/5  rDev -9.1%

Pours a dark ruby amber, some lace stays from the light brown small head, sweet bread like aroma. Taste is somewhat malty and grainy with a with a sweetness, then hoppy and slight bitter, finishes crisp. Pretty thin in the mouth, and medium high carbonation.

I liked the beer at first, but towards the end of the glass I got bored with it. Nothing wrong with it over all, okay balance, just slightly boring.

3.18/5  rDev -3%

Not a bad beer, but not great, its a cookie cutter example of a dark euro. At first pour, it comes out a very very deep mohogany, with a tan head that fades fast. Wit hthe first sip, youll notice a good amount of malt, and a lsightly thin mouthfeel, but not overly watery, some hop notes are found at the end but not as much as you would expect. Not a bad beer if you cant find better.

2.43/5  rDev -25.9%

Metallica. This is the signature beer of Metallica based purely on taste. Yes, the taste is very metallic. Yet somehome it's tolerable. This could be an average session beer.

This brew has a good appearance. It's dark amber all the way. The head is slight and gets smaller with time.

If I were drinking only one or two, I think I prefer this to Heineken's green label, but if I've got to down more than two Heinekens, they'll have to be green labels.

3.39/5  rDev +3.4%

Appearance: light cola brown with ruby highlights. A fairly modest head sticks initially but dissapates after a couple of sips to near nothingness. The lack of lacing was quite disappointing.

Smell: rich, sweet malt with caramel. A mild, bitter roastiness also pulls through. Rather one-dimensional, but somewhat enjoyable and better than average.

Taste: A moderate balance of sweet caramel malt and roasted malt character are complemented by a very mild bitterness for a fairly dry finish. Through retro-olfaction, a thin sweet wine taste presents itself. A very simple flavor that is mildly sweet and roasty. Too thin and not very complex, but satisfactory.

Mouthfeel: thin and a little flat. Needs more carbonation to make the mouthfeel more lively to compensate for the rather weak flavor.

Drinkability: Oh, I have drunk my share of Heineken Dark when I was in the mood for a simple session brew. Of course there are much better session brews out there, but a good micro session brew is hard to find around New Orleans.

Notes: This is an average beer that doesn't taste bad, but certainly does not impress. This is just a beer that I kill time with friends with and it hasn't let me down. If better microbrews were available, I would drink them, but there aren't many choices in New Orleans apart from Martin's Wine Cellar. In short, Heineken Dark is a beer I sometimes choose to have and will never turn down.

3.43/5  rDev +4.6%

I had this a long time ago and decided to try it again. Bottle into a pint.

A:A clear dark ruby/caramel with a light tan head that skips town early. Little to no lacing

S: Sweet, slightly roasted malt. Not very strong.

T: Nothing that screams at you, but nothing that really brings this beer down; an all around good flavor; very subtle and smooth. Roasted malts,and a very, very slight hint of coffee...maybe a little chocolate. Although this is a lager, I taste similarities to other brown ales I've tried. The only thing reminding me it's a lager is a very light bite at the end from the carbonation.

M: Very smooth with an almost creamy texture.

D: Could probably have a few.

Good all around beer. Try it if you haven't.

3.81/5  rDev +16.2%

I bought a 6-pack of this stuff at the local Save-a-Lot. Was on sale for 6.99 a 6-pack. I am outside having my usual cigar and beer combo.

Appearance - Deep red color. Looks amazing. For a dark lager, this is impressive. My mouth is watering already.

Smell - Not as good as it could be, nonetheless is good for any type of lager.

Taste - Wow, this is great stuff coming from the Heineken place. It's got that beer flavoring, but with a hint of coffee and fruit.

Mouthfeel - Great aftertaste, but doesn't stick around long.

Drinkability - Very easy to down. Drinking heavy porters lately, it makes this very easy to drink. Can see myself having more than one.

Overall, this is a great beer. It should honestly be rated a bit higher. This seems like an almost reverse of the regular Heineken which I honestly don't enjoy too much. Props to Heineken making a great beer.

4.65/5  rDev +41.8%

a beer that i thought that was every where but i was wrong.

A= pours a brown color in the amber family with a cream color head.

S= hoppy smell.

T= a toffe/butterscotch taste with hops

MF=smooth wiht medium cardonation.

this beer leaves light lacing behind, this is one of my favorites
everyone should try it.

cheers!

3.8/5  rDev +15.9%

A: A dark ruby color with a beige two finger head. Went down to a nice lacing that liked to stick to the side of the glass.

S: Definitely some sweetness, bread and yeast. Maybe some caramel.

T: A mixture of bread tastes and sweet tastes with a clean bitterness on the back end. Leaves somewhat of a bitter aftertaste.

M: Lots of carbonation. Well balanced beer. Not syrupy, but not a light bodied beer either.

D: Easy to drink. My second Euro Dark Lager and I like this style, so far.

Poured into a pint glass a dark mahogany with a nice foamy beige 2 finger head. Good retention and substantial lacing. Slight roasted nutty aroma. Taste was dominated by sweet malt, caramel, and raisin bread. A medium-light body with big carbonation. Goes down easy and is quite refreshing. Unintrusive aftertaste. A year-round session brew and much more likable than regular Heineken lager.

2.78/5  rDev -15.2%

Pours a deep, dark amber color with a bit of head retention and very little carbonation, which I took as a positive sign considering how many lagers seem overly fizzy. The aroma is pleasantly sweet and malty, and sweetness is the predominant feature of the taste as well. After the sweet sensations fade I’m left with a rather thin, watery flavour. I will confess that my expectations were not set very high for this brew, and although it didn’t surpass my expectations by any great degree I still find it drinkable and not unpleasant with a meal. I would certainly choose it over the standard Heineken lager, but overall it lacks the texture of a really good dark lager.

2.68/5  rDev -18.3%

12 oz bottle - Served quite warm

Appearance/Head: Reddish brown color, clear. Decent, if a little light head.

Aroma: Not too strong. Homebrew Malt Extract with notes of cinnamon, brown sugar, and coffee.

Taste: Clean, malty, slightly sweet, with a little late spice. I can't notice any hops at all.

Bottom line: If you like malty flavors, and you are at a bar with a limited beer selection, give Heine Dark a try. Otherwise, it is simply a medicore dark lager.

2.88/5  rDev -12.2%

I am a fan of Heineken Lager so when i saw this beer i was intrigued. I however was not a fan of this beer. I felt it was just bland, not a lot of different things going going on with this. The head also died rather quickly. I was little dissappointed with this one

3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

I was surprised how much I liked this beer, I bought it on a whim thinking it would be, well, not so good. But it looked good, very dark, smelled kind of nutty and tasted good with a well-balanced mix of malts, oats and nuts flavors. It went well with the Hamburger I was eating. I would recommend this beer as most people would be surprised on its taste.

2.11/5  rDev -35.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

A - Poured at an angle, little to no head- about a quarter inch of white cream. It looked like coca-cola in the glass I poured it it almost- maybe just one shade lighter. A good amount of carbonation. A couple inches above the bottom of the glass as I have drank it down, the color seems to change to a brownish/red in hue.

S - It barely smells even when poured into a glass, maybe a slight amount of roast and sweetness. As I drink it further down the smells seem to come out a little stronger. I almost feel like I sense a hint of chocolate.

T - It initially tastes a little bit like a very light chocolate mixed with perhaps a dark cherry flavoring and an almost undetectable sweetness familiar with molassess. Afterwards when you swallow your tongue can feel a very small amount of bitterness remaining. The flavours are not very intense and it is an easy drinker.

M - This beer isn't thick nor extremely watery feeling, sort of in the middle grounds. I let it warm up a little bit to 40-45 degrees as the six-pack's box recommended.

I would give it a 2.25/5. I don't think I will buy it again, but its not bad! Definately worth trying atleast once.

2.27/5  rDev -30.8%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass

A--Dark Amber with an inch of fizzy,light tan head

S--Almost no smell. Bready with a little caramel

T--Watery with bready and caramel notes. Bitterness from hops is present, but it doesn't add to the flavor much at all

M--Thin to medium body with decent carbonation

D--Easy to drink. Just not interesting to drink

3.88/5  rDev +18.3%

A- Blood-amber color. Fluffy head, with more lacing than a typical macro-lager.

S- Toasted malt, caramel, and sourdough bread.

T- Hop flavor, then sweet caramel maltiness. In the end, yeast and yummy toasted sourdough bread aftertaste remains.

M- Smooth, medium body. Denser than most lagers. Nice carbonation persists long after the head perishes.

D- A surprisingly refreshing and complex lager, ESPECIALLY considering its evil distant cousin - the Heineken Pale Lager. Nice balance of malts and just enough bittering hops. If I'm in a lager mood and there's no micro- options, I won't hesitate to grab a few of these.

3.5/5  rDev +6.7%

A Poured into a glass. This beer has a nice look, reddish brown clear color with a thick frothy tan head that left a little lacing on the glass, not a lot of carbonation

S Grainy, sweet hops and a hint of malt

T Crisp and hoppy, a little sweetness, kind of oaky hops really hit on the finish

M Thin and crisp, a little watery

D Goes down easily, hops are a little too strong for my taste but not overpowering crisp finish. For a dark lager would be good on a hot day. Would pare well with red meat

4.38/5  rDev +33.5%

Appearance- Dark brown though with red shines. Nice close foamy head off the pour, nice appearance overall.

Smell- Fresh grains, cream, nutty and slight yeast and malty smell, basically the smell of tamed out lager almost metallic nose.

Taste- Nice balance of malts and lager kind of a flavor, reminds me of a lighter bock, very refreshing malts with a very slight touch of hops

Mouth feel- Very smooth creamy and easy drinking, light body and acid notes coming from CO2.

Drinkability- Nice balance of a lighter lager and slightly darker tones, easy to drink more than a six pack.

3.8/5  rDev +15.9%

This came in a 12oz bottle...appearance was dark. Not dark like a stout, but dark enough. The smell was pleasant. You can smell the roasted ingredients which are pleasant on the the ole schnoze. Taste is full of roasted bits. It's east on the taste buds, and goes well with good meal, like steak or prime rib. Mouthfeel is alittle on the thick side, in that it will coat the tounge, but not disgustingly so. The drinkability is high (at least for me). A good session beer for someone that likes a dark beer, but doesn't want the gut filling properties of a full on stout. All around this is not a bad offering from a company ( I say company and not brewery on purpose) that is reknowned for their fizzy yellow skunk piss lager.

2.7/5  rDev -17.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I've been a long time Heineken fan and when I first saw this beer on the shelf I got very excited. Of course I bought it and took it home and let it chill. I was not sure what to expect when I tried it but I guess I got my hopes up. The flavor was surely fine, I felt it had a nice thick creamy taste to it, although that is not one of my favorites. It went down very smooth and left a nice aftertaste and I think I could get use to it after some time. I know there are some looking for this type of beer but as an original Heineken fan it just isn't quite adequate.

2.35/5  rDev -28.4%

call me old fashion but I primarily rate my beers based upon taste. I'm also a big Heineken fan. However this brew still disappointed me. It lacked a clean after taste and the flavor that it did have did not satisfy. Personally I would not recommend this brew however that is just me. I found it truly disappointing.

3.7/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is the first dark beer I ever drank 30 years ago, but have not seen one on the shelf for years.
I had one this weekend and was pleasantly surprised, it was a nice blend of flavors with good color and smell. nothing to overpower the senses. but nothing to offend them either.

3.86/5  rDev +17.7%

I've never really been a Heineken fan since it's always seemed like everyone who loves it doesn't know much about beer, but I've been to the brewery in Amsterdam and it seemed pretty tip-top.

a- a reddish brown, with a hint of bronze and a large light head. Very clear, not much going on here.

s- very sweet smell, hints of maple and brown sugar, smells delicious.

t- comes on like a typical dark lager, but the middle is very sweet and it has a woody finish. Much more complex than everything else I've had by Heineken.

m- Absolutely no alcohol in the aftertaste which I like. The problem is the woody finish leaves a bitter aftertaste, which I don't like.

d- A very good overall beer. Not too heavy, not too complex, not too expensive, will buy this again.

Heineken, I apologize for my previous bias!

Heineken Dark Lager from Heineken Nederland B.V.