Desperados

View: Beers
Reviews: 65 | Ratings: 277 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
BelgianHops from Belgium

1.33/5  rDev -43.2%
look: 1.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

Desperate. This so undrinkable for any beer-lover. Perhaps the worst beer in the world, alongside Corona and Cubanisto. Truly awful. Stay clear from this stuff.

Aug 13, 2020
jdurey from Korea (South)

2.09/5  rDev -10.7%

Didn’t want to rate this as a beer, despite the deceptive “lager” appearance. Although upon closer inspection the carbonation is nothing like a true beer. It’s more like a wine cooler. If you look at it that way, there’s less sugar in this...drink...than a wine cooler, so not too awful. Came close to pouring this down the drain but something about it kept me wanting to drink it. Will not buy again, despite the cheap buzz.

Dec 06, 2019
zeff80 from Missouri

1.99/5  rDev -15%

Poured a clear, straw yellow color with a small, thin white head. It smelled of corn, sweet caramel and grain alcohol. I guess it was supposed to taste like tequila, but it was just odd.

Mar 27, 2017
DeerBeerFearDear from Massachusetts

2.98/5  rDev +27.4%

"Interesting" beer. Or, is it really a beer?
Wouldn't diss on this beer too much, even though I wouldn't say it's recommended. Overall quality is definitely poor-ish but still could drink this casually. I don't think there is any problem with this as a "soda" drink. As a beer it indeed is poor, or almost worthless in that sense.

Summary: If you intend to drink this you must approach with the idea in mind that this is NOT a beer but just a fun twisted soda drink. If you do that, I guess you could enjoy this like I do.

Jan 03, 2017
Gordon206 from England

1.06/5  rDev -54.7%

This is an abomination of a beer. Poor quality lager, too sweet with the added foulness of cheap tequila. Whoever came up with this wants their head looking at. Unsurprisingly this is not available in Mexico. They drink their beers and tequila separately, as they should. This beer is all gimmick, and zero quality.

Dec 21, 2016
Majvdb from Netherlands

2.94/5  rDev +25.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

It looks like your average beer, nice gold clear look. It smells like lime basically your average radler beer , very sweet and lemony with an unknown smell which I suppose of the tequila. It tastes very sweet, lime, bit of a lager taste. It reminds me of the many radlers I have tasted in my live but much stronger, you can taste the alcohol. It doesn't at all remind me of any other beer I know. It is a fuzzy carbonate taste, quite pleasant but a bit to carbonated for a beer almost like a soda.
Overall I would recommand this drink but not as a beer. It has a nice taste but it does not remind me of a beer. They market this as a tequila flavored beer but I don't taste the tequila nor do I taste a beer. It's quite a nice drink on a nice summer's day but not if you think you open a ordinary beer. It's a nice alcoholic beverage but not a nice beer.

Aug 15, 2016
tone77 from Pennsylvania

3.24/5  rDev +38.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 16 oz. can. Has a straw like color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of tequila, but very sweet. Taste is also sweet, limes, tequila, some grains. Feels light in the mouth and overall is not a beer I would need again, however I could pound down several of these with no problem.

Feb 04, 2016
woodychandler from Pennsylvania

2.14/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I found this recently at Subs & Six Packs and I have to admit to a mild amount of curiosity in its purchase. Another bottle to bite the dust & hit the road next week when they resume trash & garbage collection.

From the bottle: "[Beer] Blended with Tequila Barrel Aged Lager [and Natural Flavor]"; "Enjoy the Unexpected and Smooth Taste of Beer with Lager Aged in Tequila Barrels, Complimented by Subtle Lemon Notes for a Uniquely Refreshing Finish."

I Pop!ped the cap & really let loose, being that it was a mere 11.2-fl. oz. bottle. This brought forth two fingers of fizzy, bone-white head with limited retention. Color was Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4) with NE-plus quality clarity, allowing me to see through walls and into the snow-covered backyard. Nose smelled more strongly of lime than did the earlier Keystone Light Lime. Where is the tequila? Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was bizarre - loads of lime, along with another taste that I would not have identified as tequila. Whatever they were trying to accomplish with this fell either short or wide (or both of its mark). Finish was semi-sweet and the lime flavor was prevalent & unrelenting. This should be put back into the tequila barrel from whence it came & hope for a better outcome.

Jan 26, 2016
Bruno74200 from France

2.23/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 2.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

You can feel your Mexican accent growing into you just watching at this bottle but don't be fooled, it's brewed in France by Heinekein. Also not sure this overly sweet tequila flavored beverage is beer

Oct 03, 2015
Andrewharemza from Australia

3.28/5  rDev +40.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

On the nose plenty of lime, the taste is lime cordial. There's very little carbonation very flat. Easy to drink not bad. But unfortunately I won't be seeking it out again.

Jul 16, 2015
BeerAdvocate from Massachusetts

2.25/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #90 (July 2014):

Lime Candy, Soda, Thin

A clear bottled lager that is “Tequila Barrel Aged” and “Natural Flavor” makes it on the label as well. It looks like a beer but smells like a lime grove, perhaps a faint hint of Tequila on the palate but this lime flavor dominates like a cheap foreign soda. A pretty pathetic attempt at infusing the whole Tequila and lime flavor into a beer.

STYLE: Pale Lager | ABV: 6.0% | AVAILABILITY: Year-round

Jul 07, 2015
KnockKnock24 from Florida

3.39/5  rDev +44.9%

I figured it having tequila it wouldn't be smooth, but I was wrong. Had it with some food and it didn't fill me up a lot. Would recommend at least to try. I don't see this as a beer I drink quite a bit, but every once in awhile.

Apr 11, 2015
JaimeLondon from Brazil

Interesting lager that is tequila flavoured. Has a hidden 6% ABV due to its sweetness and is better than the common economic lagers you find in the supermarket - the tequila taste is not at all awful.

Apr 07, 2015
schoolboy from Ohio

2.42/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

What were they thinking. Why did I try it three times (bottle, can, Red)?

This is a nasty brew I found in Martinique. I was not drunk enough to drink this easily. I had to force it down.

It's yellow and has bubbles. The aroma is funky - there is a hint of tequila in this, I think. The taste is like a bad, flat-ish beer with a half shot of tequila in it. It is as bad as that sounds. The big can was just as bad as the bottle.

Mar 28, 2015
ordybill from Georgia

2.59/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Poured from a 11.2 OZ bottle into a pint glass.
Aroma- Has a skunky aroma mixed with lime and tequila extract.
Appearance-A clear golden yellow with lots of carbonation bubbles, very small head.
Taste- Lime and tequila extract with some grain or corn. Not bad, but pretty sweet.
Palate- A light bodied beer that has moderate carbonation and a sweet aftertaste.
Overall- Not my type of beer, it could easily be a session beer for those who like this style.

Feb 26, 2015
Thisdrinkinglife from Switzerland

2.83/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Review: Can of Desperados Beer: 5.9% ABV

As a fan of tequila, and straight (none of that salt and lime shite), anything that has the devils juice in it has my backing. So Desperadoes is an interesting brew alright, one definitely to try. With an ABV of just under 6% giving it an added incentive.

The appearance isn’t the best to be honest, pretty clear showing a golden orange colour with an initial decent frothy creamy head that dissipates quick enough. Some good lacing, but also dies soon after, looks like a lot of chemicals in this beer.

There is a very strong smell as you would expect ,very very sweet, like a fruit juice, mostly of citrus.

The taste has a very sweet and citrus taste to it, a bit tangy, tasting of lemon, lime and I guess Tequila. I say I guess because I’m not so sure of you can pick up the taste of the tequila. There is also an interesting deep sour aftertaste.

Having said all that I have to say the beer isn’t that bad. Once you get over the initial shock at all the sweet tastes, you do grow into it, and it does become a relatively smooth enough beer to drink. I think these beers would be a great accompaniment to a night on the town, perhaps have two or three to give you a little kick in your drinking during the night, or before you hit the clubs. Any more than that and I’m not sure how they would go down. I don’t think I could drink more than two or three to be honest. But overall its a good effort and I like the idea of Desperadoes. Have I found the taste of the tequila? Not sure, but then does it matter, the beer has a certain function which is to set you up for the party or the night, and this beer does that perfectly. A good party beer.

Feb 14, 2015
pazcal

1.56/5  rDev -33.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Watery at first but with an awful aftertaste which should be like Tequila but is something between detergent and artificial sugar. Disappointing at best.

Jan 25, 2015
Svingjo from Canada

3.06/5  rDev +30.8%

This sweet tasting beer says tequila but really has a very sweet agave and citrus taste to it. Lightly carbonated. I served this extra cold and it was liked by most at the tasting. It could've had something to do with it being over 40 degrees Celsius at the time but who knows.

Dec 22, 2014
StevenMilligan from Florida

Picked this up to try something new. It was not at all what I expected.

Smells like lemon, grass, and tequila.

Pours with zero head and has the mouth-feel of a malt beverage, like Smirnoff.

It is mild and grainy with a lot of lime, lemon, and tequila. I like tequila, but this is a little too sweet for me. Has a little woodiness in there but it doesn't linger.

Overall this is a definite pass.

Nov 20, 2014
denisconrado from Brazil

The beginning deceives, because the taste that goes down the Adam's apple and is left in the mouth is very bad. Should be good for those who love tequila, but I was desperate after I took !!!

Sep 22, 2014
jjamadorphd from Florida

4.38/5  rDev +87.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Desperados is the reason why I try so many different beers - whether it's IPAs, PAs, lagers, wheat beers, fruit beers, or whatever - the anticipation that that next bottle getting cracked open is *the* beer is one of the reasons why I love beer. Desperados brought me that joy.

Appearance-wise it wasn't anything that started out overly impressive to me. Decent head, but no staying power. The smell though was the first hint that this was special. The perfectly mixed odor of tequila with the barley and malt was so sweet to the nose. The mouthfeel accentuated the smell - thick, crisp, and bold. The taste was what really blew me away - the lager flavor mixed oh so well with the tequila - I wish I had thought of this idea myself. Overall, it's a great beer - I am so glad I still quite a few of these left.

Jun 23, 2014
Jeffo from Netherlands

Found a stray little 15cl bottle at the grocery store down the street. Probably fell out of some kind of extinct party pack that they were selling for the World Cup, but I couldn't find an obvious source. No bar code on it, but the cashier charged me 40 cents and we were both happy.

From a 15cl clear bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Clear yellow with a small, foamy white head that quickly fades to a faint wisp and ring. Perfectly clear golden yellow with medium amounts of carbonation. Slight ring remains but leaves no lacing.

SMELL: Some grainy malts, lemon, and the signature tequila aromas on the nose. It doesn't smell like beer of course, but it's not all that bad.

TASTE: Follows the nose really. Mild up front with some grainy malts, then lemon and tequila at the swallow. Some wood flavors with lemon and lime in there, as well as some sweetness from the grain. Tequila is present and lends more sweetness but isn't off-putting. It's a bit sweet for my current palate, but it's still alright.

PALATE: Medium body and carbonation. Not all that creamy, a bit foamy perhaps, goes down fine and finishes a touch dry.

OVERALL: When I first moved to Germany in 2002, a mate of mine and myself drank this stuff by the boatload. It was everywhere in the north, and people in their late teens and early twenties drank it at bars and clubs quite regularly. It still is quite popular in Europe among young people, and I see why. It's much more palatable than some of the grainy lagers that are readily available at bars, and for a young person just wanting to get a buzz without having to choke something nasty down, this is a fine option. It doesn't exactly taste like beer per se, but it's not trying to either. Most people just rate it into the ground because it's easy and accepted. However, it's certainly decent for what it is, and brings back some fun memories...

Jun 15, 2014
JISurfer from South Carolina

Picked this up, as well as others, while grabbing a La Familiar at a tiny Hispanic store. Probably in the minority here, but I thought this was ok. In fact, better than Tequiza. To me, it almost tasted like ginger ale beer, with a very slight hint of woodiness. Not saying I would regularly pick up a 6er or deucey duce of it, but it was palatable.

Jun 08, 2014
NeroFiddled from Pennsylvania

2.79/5  rDev +19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Desperados Tequila flavored Beer
.33 L bottle
€3,50 @ Dos Pescados, Berlin, Germany

First off, is this beer made with Tequila or not? The packaging reads both "Tequila Flavored Beer" and "Flavoured with Tequila" - not necessarily the same thing. However their website clearly states "Desperados is a beer flavoured with Tequila". Somehow I think it's a "tequila" flavoring. And that there's some lime flavoring added as well.

With that said, it was better than I thought it would be, but I didn't think it tasted like Tequila mixed into beer. On the other hand, I've never mixed Tequila and beer so I can't really say. There was some odd "woodiness" to it, and the previously noted lime, but not what I'd call "Tequila". Maybe cheap Tequila...

Overall I'd have to say that this is just a gimmicky beverage that will run its course and disappear shortly. Of course you never know. I wouldn't recommend it, but if you're like me and you just have to try it to see what it's like I can give the go ahead for that. You probably won't want a second one, but it is easy to drink and you won't have any trouble finishing it.

Jan 08, 2014
Ciocanelu from Romania

2.25/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pale color with white head that disappears quickly. Sweet, artificial smell that doesn't mix well with the base beer. Taste starts with some kind of weird air freshener note. A nasty sweetness lingers throughout the taste. Light and prickly body. Quite bad overall.

Dec 01, 2013
Desperados from Heineken Nederland B.V.
Beer rating: 58 out of 100 with 277 ratings