Desperados

2.25/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

From BeerAdvocate Magazine #90 (July 2014):

Lime Candy, Soda, Thin

A clear bottled lager that is “Tequila Barrel Aged” and “Natural Flavor” makes it on the label as well. It looks like a beer but smells like a lime grove, perhaps a faint hint of Tequila on the palate but this lime flavor dominates like a cheap foreign soda. A pretty pathetic attempt at infusing the whole Tequila and lime flavor into a beer.

STYLE: Pale Lager | ABV: 6.0% | AVAILABILITY: Year-round

This one time at a bar in France called Latin Club (pronounced Lah-teen Cloob) I was eating a cheese pizza with arugala (latin food) and drinking a 7-up when all of the sudden I tasted a little tequila in my 7-up. I looked down at the bottle and noticed that it was brown rather than the usual green. I looked at the label…desparados? WTF? I looked around the joint and as some sort of New Kids like song started playing all these French and Arab kids starting dancing like Michel Stipes circa 1987. I couldn’t figure out why they were acting so ridiculous until I looked at their hands. Desarados everywhere. Everybody was drinking these things, even the Arabs and Arabs don’t drink. I suddenly realized that I was in the Twilight Zone so I got the F out of there and rinsed my mouth out with a tall boy can of Bavaria 8.0 that I bought off an Anarchist bum on the corner.

Found a stray little 15cl bottle at the grocery store down the street. Probably fell out of some kind of extinct party pack that they were selling for the World Cup, but I couldn't find an obvious source. No bar code on it, but the cashier charged me 40 cents and we were both happy.

From a 15cl clear bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Clear yellow with a small, foamy white head that quickly fades to a faint wisp and ring. Perfectly clear golden yellow with medium amounts of carbonation. Slight ring remains but leaves no lacing.

SMELL: Some grainy malts, lemon, and the signature tequila aromas on the nose. It doesn't smell like beer of course, but it's not all that bad.

TASTE: Follows the nose really. Mild up front with some grainy malts, then lemon and tequila at the swallow. Some wood flavors with lemon and lime in there, as well as some sweetness from the grain. Tequila is present and lends more sweetness but isn't off-putting. It's a bit sweet for my current palate, but it's still alright.

PALATE: Medium body and carbonation. Not all that creamy, a bit foamy perhaps, goes down fine and finishes a touch dry.

OVERALL: When I first moved to Germany in 2002, a mate of mine and myself drank this stuff by the boatload. It was everywhere in the north, and people in their late teens and early twenties drank it at bars and clubs quite regularly. It still is quite popular in Europe among young people, and I see why. It's much more palatable than some of the grainy lagers that are readily available at bars, and for a young person just wanting to get a buzz without having to choke something nasty down, this is a fine option. It doesn't exactly taste like beer per se, but it's not trying to either. Most people just rate it into the ground because it's easy and accepted. However, it's certainly decent for what it is, and brings back some fun memories...

4.25/5  rDev +80.9%

1.25/5  rDev -46.8%

3.35/5  rDev +42.6%

Stopped into a bar for an afternoon beer after visiting the Reina Sofia in Madrid. This was the most expensive beer on the menu, so naturally, this is what I ordered.

A - Darker than a Corona, but looks like a Mexican beer.

S - Sweet agave nectar. This says its flavored with tequila on the bottle, but is very apparent in the nose.

T - Sweet. I can imagine drinking this on a hot summer day. However, this is too sweet to drink more than one bottle. If Corona is too skunky for you, you might enjoy this brew. If you don't like sweet beers, this isn't for you.

M - Actually somewhat heavy compared to how it looks.

O - Interesting beer available abroad. Probably can't drink more than one.

2.75/5  rDev +17%

4.38/5  rDev +86.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Desperados is the reason why I try so many different beers - whether it's IPAs, PAs, lagers, wheat beers, fruit beers, or whatever - the anticipation that that next bottle getting cracked open is *the* beer is one of the reasons why I love beer. Desperados brought me that joy.

Appearance-wise it wasn't anything that started out overly impressive to me. Decent head, but no staying power. The smell though was the first hint that this was special. The perfectly mixed odor of tequila with the barley and malt was so sweet to the nose. The mouthfeel accentuated the smell - thick, crisp, and bold. The taste was what really blew me away - the lager flavor mixed oh so well with the tequila - I wish I had thought of this idea myself. Overall, it's a great beer - I am so glad I still quite a few of these left.

3.06/5  rDev +30.2%

This sweet tasting beer says tequila but really has a very sweet agave and citrus taste to it. Lightly carbonated. I served this extra cold and it was liked by most at the tasting. It could've had something to do with it being over 40 degrees Celsius at the time but who knows.

Worst beer I've ever tasted.

3.75/5  rDev +59.6%

2.52/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured a nice head that lingered for a while and left traces. Pale yellow color.
Low carbonation. Strong lemon and tequila aroma. Flavor follow aroma, though it doesn’t taste it right, a little artificial. One step up would be to have this beer in real reposado tequila casks. So, end result was a Smirnoff ice type of beer, then you wonder…
On the good side, it seems they used just malts and the 5.9% alcohol cannot be felt, whatsoever.

2.75/5  rDev +17%

2.25/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pale color with white head that disappears quickly. Sweet, artificial smell that doesn't mix well with the base beer. Taste starts with some kind of weird air freshener note. A nasty sweetness lingers throughout the taste. Light and prickly body. Quite bad overall.

Desperados from Heineken Nederland B.V.
Beer rating: 58 out of 100 with 274 ratings