Heineken Premium Light Lager | Heineken Nederland B.V.

awful

heineken.com

Style: Light Lager

Added by Jason on 03-01-2005

Reviews: 272 | Ratings: 952

Heineken Premium Light Lager brewed by Heineken Nederland B.V. This light larger has an ABV of 3.30% The brew pours out a nice golden amber color w a small white head. Spotty lacing to this brew, really thin like. The smell is rich with grains, and malts. You do pick up on some nice hop notes in the smell of this brew. There is also a hit of skunk in the smell, not as bad as I was expecting. Now for the taste, light with with good flavors. The thing I really like is there is no skunk flavor to this green bottle brew. That is a plus in my book. This is a really nice crisp light brew, it goes down nice and smooth. There is a real nice balance to Heineken Premium Light Lager. There is nothing overpowering about this brew. The mouth feel of Heineken Premium Light Lager, is Thin, Light, Crisp and Refreshing. This brew would go nice on a hot summer day. Kinda was hoping for a bit higher ABV but it is what it is. Like I said this brew taste better than regular Heineken. This was a brew that I was not going to review because of negatives of the original Heineken Premium. However I'm glad I gave this brew a honest chance, and I will be buying this brew again just to change it up for a bit. Overall all I'm giving Heineken Premium Light Lager a soild 4 out of 5. Nothing to write home about but a nice smooth crisp light brew. Heineken Nederland B.V., did a real nice job with this light larger.

1.83/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.25

As if they couldn't have made Heineken worse, they succeeded. This is thin and watery pee-pee water. I can't even begin to describe how repulsive it is. Take Heineken and mix with seltzer, you are now drinking this scum. Avoid.

4.23/5  rDev +79.2%

Years ago this beer was terrible. One of the worst beers I've ever had. Then on day my dad had some in the fridge and It was too late to get some of my own beer so I cracked one open. My first sip I was blown away. They completely changed the taste of the beer. I hated the old taste but this new taste was amazing in my eyes. I thought maybe something had spilt on the top of the can and was enhancing the flavor so I washed the next can before opening it. It was just as good. I started drinking that beer over time and now it's my favorite beer. I even got some people who used to hate it, like myself, to agree that now it is a very good tasting beer. And it has low calories.

3.11/5  rDev +31.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Faint gold yellow body has good carbonation and a disappearing 1in head. Metallic and malt aromas. Taste is the same. Crisp finish. Still the best lo-cal beer.

3.1/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a clear, straw color. 2/3 inch head of a white color. Decent retention and slight lacing. Smells of strong Euro yeast, strong pale malt, strong adjunct, hint of hops, and a sulfuric odor. Fits the style of a Light Lager. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of slight citrus hops, strong pale malt, slight adjunct, and Euro yeast. Overall, much better body than aroma, good blend, but the sulfur notes in the aroma are the worst aspect.

look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Unfortunately this looks and tastes just like 6 oz Heineken and 6 oz mineral water. Dilute the appearance, dilute the Euro lager aroma.

Taste is just real watered down, even the spritzy carbonation and hop effect seems muted here, the yeast, the skunking, just everything.

There is really nothing to add here from a regular Heineken review, just way more watered down to the point that hops, yeast and malt are very obscured.

1.81/5  rDev -23.3%

Bought a 12-pack this because it was on sale, fewer carbs and calories than original (like that really matters, at this point), and Neil Patrick Harris said there's the money back guarantee (so I thought) for the "best tasting light beer."

Poured into a pint glass.

A - Pours like the original. Clear, golden straw color. Inch of foam that dissipates quick.
S - Metal, grass, hops, slight skunk
T - Not nearly as malty sweet as the original. Carbonated water with some dry hops and maybe some grass thrown in.
F - Thin, watery, high carbonation, probably what a true cheap Czech or German lager would feel like.
O - Does a good job tasting nothing like the original, in a bad way. Arizona does not honor the money back guarantee, so I plunked down some cash for a "premium" beer that has less flavor than Miller Lite or Coors Light. Not to mention, with its low ABV, you'll need at least a 6-pack to get the faintest buzz. Will stick to the original.

1.18/5  rDev -50%

appearance-drank it out of hte bottle so who knows. likely yellow

smell- smells quite gross

taste-doesnt even taste like beer to me. tastes like horse piss mixed with mountain dew

feel-i dont even know. pretty much like water

overall-worst beer ive ever had. not even a get drunk beer cause theres under 3.5 percent so you gotta drink more to get drunk. very bad beer.

4.5/5  rDev +90.7%

Best light beer out there. People knock because of low alcohol content...maybe they don't understand what light means. Very crisp and clean. You can taste the hops...unadulterated and clean. Phenomenal light beer.

2.72/5  rDev +15.3%

Well. This is one of my least favorite light beers. The only reason I'm rating it so high is because it comes in the cool 5l mini kegs. If a better light beer came in them I wouldn't be drinking heineken light. Regular heineken is alittle better.

3.25/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

It's pretty bland and doesn't have much body. It tastes watered down, and what little taste it does have is funky. About 15 seconds after your sip, a light but sharp bitter aftertaste appears.

1.57/5  rDev -33.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.5

Pours a nice golden color, but has no head and highly carbonated like Pop. Not much smell, slight amount of adjuncts. Goes down extremely dry and tastes nothing like regular Heineken. Sad excuse for a beer, let alone a light lager.

2.35/5  rDev -0.4%

I'm actually going to take them up on their money back offer. Not only is it not the best light beer I've ever tasted, it's actually one of the worst. I'm not against the light beer style - these days I probably drink more light beer than anything else - so this low rating is all for the beer, not the style.

A: I like pale straw for lagers so this looks great to me. Looks a lot like the real Heineken, in fact.

S: Sweet and yeasty. It actually smells appealing.

T: Oh boy, awful. Just awful. Far, far hoppier than regular Heineken, and there's nothing beyond that. It's water and (Cascade) hops. It's bitter-forward with nothing in reserve, and the lemon detergent aftertaste is (mercifully) gone within seconds.

M: Carbonation is gone pretty shortly after pouring, then there's nothing beyond it.

O: This is neither a hoppy lager nor a light beer, flavor-wise. It's somewhere in the middle, and stranded in no-man's-land is exactly where it will stay. Ugh.

Basically, it's a low-calorie IPL and it's a really poor example of both light beer and hoppy lagers. It has none of Heineken's characteristic grainy-yeasty taste, replacing it with an anemic profile heavy on bitterness and little else.

Looking very much forward to getting my $8.69 back. I'd drink Natural Light over this if I wanted a light beer, no joke; and I'd drink pretty much any American craft lager over this if I wanted something hoppy and sessionable.

Sorry, Heineken - stick to what you're good at, and it ain't this.

2.48/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Appearance : This one pours a crystal clear straw color, about 100% transparent here. Not much to the body as far as depth or color goes. The head is white, soapy, and settles at 1 finger. Not much lace left behind.

Aroma : This reminds me of an Italian or Czech lager. Very dirty aroma, with tons of grass, urine, and salt. Malt bill is heavy in the nose, with some hay, straw, spice, and hop trailing behind.

Flavor : Very very watery, some faint malt flavor, a pinch of hay dust, and the faintest ghost of a hop leaf waving goodbye as it rides down the throat. A little salt thrown in for good measure. I mean, it's easy to drink - it would be great on a hot day - but there's just not much to really criticize.

Mouthfeel : Almost nonexistent. Watery, lightly carbonated. Finishes slightly pasty.

Overall : Pretty much beer-flavored water for a hot day. There's not much here so I can't criticize much. I'd probably have it over a Bud Light or maybe even a Coors Light. But we're talking premium price here, so really it's not a good choice. At a party? Sure. At my house? Not a chance.

2.01/5  rDev -14.8%

12oz green bottle
A - pale golden body with a thinner white head
S - grassy, pale malt, slightly light struck
T - grassy hops, very mild malt presence, faint yeast, slightly light struck skunkiness
M - very thin and watery, crisp finish, but has that odd linger that light lagers seem to have (hard to describe)
O - someone left this at my house otherwise I'd never had bothered to buy it.

3.23/5  rDev +36.9%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pilsner glass

Appearance: pours a 2" sudsy white head that falls moderately with scant lacing. Color is clear light golden with plenty of streaming carbonation.

Aroma: surprising amount of aroma for the style, sweet barley malt and even some grassy hops and the standard Heineken yeast.

Mouthfeel: light and frothy with a nice dry finish.

Flavor: a watery cousin of Heineken "heavy" with sweet barley and some mild hop bitterness

Overall: for a light beer, it is very good, one of the best in the category.

2.76/5  rDev +16.9%

Had in a can so the skunkiness is at a minimum. Tastes like sweet corn water with no finishing flavor. Super light. On a 100 degree day, I could get behind this beer as a hydrating liquid.

3.29/5  rDev +39.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Canned version: This is definitely better than any AAL light lagers, since it has a fuller taste and no corn and rice adjuncts. I like the ABV here because sometimes I don't want a 5% ABV lager.

3.5/5  rDev +48.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

this beer is way overhated. people see "light" and assume the worst. this is actually better than heineken heavy, and a good representation of a german lager

3.5/5  rDev +48.3%

In all honesty, I can't tell much difference between this and regular Heineken and I like regular Heineken. Then again it has been a little while since I've had it so if I try it again, I may think differently, but it's honestly not THAT awful. For the price difference though, I'd rather go with Budweiser.

3.15/5  rDev +33.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lots of hate on here for this... But compared to other light beers, I actually like it. It's surprisingly crisp and clean. Probably mostly water haha. But not bad if you are driving!

4.5/5  rDev +90.7%

This is a great LIGHT beer and that is why I am giving it such a high score. If you have ever tried a lot of different light beers then you know this stuff is pretty friggin' awesome! It's not much different from an original Heineken just a tad bit lighter in taste. I love this beer because I can cut the calories and keep the taste.

look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Slight skunky smell but typical of what you'd expect from Heineken. Definitely better than the 56 overall rating though....tastes like slightly watered down Heineken. Typical light beer but good on a warm day playing golf.

2.53/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: Crystal clear yellow with a tint of brown to it, darker than the other light lagers Ive rated lately, large white head, little bit of spotty lacing down the glass

S: Slight skunkyness

T: I get the bitterness of some hops up front, then a little of that skunkyness, clean dry finish

M: Watery but its a light

O: Not outstanding but one of the better light beers that I have had

Someone left a whole case of this swill on my back porch. One day I ran out of beer, I say beer cause Heineken light is NOT beer, anyway I ran out of real beer & had to drink one of these. I can not believe Heineken sells this junk. This is the worst beer I ever had, tastes like water with a 3. Abv? I compare this to boxed wine, it's horrible. No hope at all, no flavor at all, you might as well drink carbonated water because Heineken light is only carbonated water has no flavor no alcohol completely and absolutely the worst beer I ever drank in my life!!

Heineken Premium Light Lager from Heineken Nederland B.V.