Heineken Premium Light Lager | Heineken Nederland B.V.

awful

Style: Light Lager

Added by Jason on 03-01-2005

Reviews: 272 | Ratings: 952
2.8/5  rDev +18.6%

Leftover from my girlfriend's sister's visit last week, figured I'd clean the fridge. Lighter color than applejuice with a cap of head and faint malt tones in the nose. Not much going on, but nothing real offensive either.

Dry and relatively crisp. Watery hops in the taste to provide something akin to balance. Not much in the finish. Too much carbonation, but it is more noticeable due to the absence of anything else happening in your mouth.. i.e. taste.

For a light beer, it's not bad.. For a beer, it's for girls in black dresses in clubs.

2.13/5  rDev -9.7%

Bottle poured into a pint glass. Cool looking bottle labels.

Golden yellow with a weak lace. Looks good in the glass but only right after the pour.

Faint hops in the nose with a hint of grain.

Very light to the tongue and bone dry, yet very smooth. Grains and hops are present from begining to end. Finishs dry. A weird smoothness about this one. I just hope that this atrocity to beer will not be at any of the parties I go too.

2.36/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A - 1" bone white billowy head. Pale yellow. Lots of bubbles. Decent retention at 1/4". Thin lace. Pretty good pour overall.

S - Sweet malt. Hay, grass. Mild skunk.

T - Sweet adjunct like flavor. Not as much skunk in flavor as in the aroma. Light spiciness. Alcohol(odd for such a light beer)? Not much to write home about.

M - Light and thin. High carbonation. Quick finish just a little lingering sweetness.

D - Just OK, overall bland and not much to want to come back to.

3.63/5  rDev +53.8%

I tried this beer last night only because I am trying to watch the waste line. I have to say, drinking a light beer is not worth the sacrafice to me. I need to find other ways to watch my calorie intake. This beer reminded me of a domestic beer. Bud light but a lil better, not much though. Great looking bottle! ;-)

Cheers.

2.01/5  rDev -14.8%

Purchased from Target on University, Huntsville, AL.

A: Pours a very light straw-yellow color with a thick white head. Constant carbonation from the bottom of the glass. I'd give it lower than a three for the color, but the head sticks around for a bit and is really fairly impressive.

S: A bit off-putting at first, strongly grassy aroma with some malt undertone. No skunk present in the nose on this bottle.

T: Only giving it a two due to style. Tastes just like a low-carb beer should -- really awful. Dry maltiness up front, some sweetness as the beer swirls around the palate, with a highly astringent finish and a wickedly off-putting aftertaste. Doesn't even seem like beer to me.

M: Thin, watery. Foams up well enough.

D: Drain-pour for me. Not quite as bad as Ed's Chili Beer, but bad enough to never want another.

2.39/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours a very pale color with a nice head that very rapidly
dissappers to almost nothing. Smell; what little there is;
is of corn and a slight hint of hops. Mouth-feel is thin and
watery. Taste is watery with a slight dryness to it.

Probebly an OK beer for social gatherings but it is somthing
I won't buy again.

2.3/5  rDev -2.5%

Pale, pale, pale yellow color, hold a thin slice of a pear peel to the sunlight...small head, then gone...eh...

Aroma: nothing but corn, and faint hops...wispy grain and air.

Taste: none. Water and light alcohol. Coors Light kicked up a micro-notch. Whereas I don't think much of a bottle of Heinken, there's absolutely nothing to think about when downing a bottle of Heineken Light, um, I mean PREMIUM Light. It sure is wet, though.

Yep.

Sure is wet.

This needs to go away fast. Heineken drinkers aren't crying out for anything lighter, and Amstel Light drinkers aren't looking for anything Heineken-ier.

2.46/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

A much more decent pour than I had expected. It may have been the low light of the restaruant, but it was actually a decent dark gold with a big, but short-lived, head.

Smells very light. Selzer water and a hint of pils grain.

Tastes a lot stronger than the smell. Mostly like adjunct grain and boiled veggies. Kind of like the old Rolling Rock, only lighter and with an aftertaste of water.

This was a lot better than I thought it would be, but it still wasn't worth it. Inoffensive, if nothing else.

1.95/5  rDev -17.4%

I had this one with a group of guys following a round of golf. It wouldn’t have been my choice, but it was all that was being served. It serves up about what is expected from a light beer. It sports a pale straw color with a fizzy head. The aroma is almost nonexistent, with only a faint whiff of grassiness and hops. There’s virtually no flavor, and the beer is exceptionally dry. Watery body and empty finish. This beer is simply forgettable.

3.5/5  rDev +48.3%

When I popped the cap, I wasn't expecting much. It poured yellow as yellow can be, but had very good head retention, especially for a light lager! The smell was all malt and grain, but not offensive. The taste is the high part of this beer. I honestly think it is a more refined, cleaner version of the Heineken Lager. It actually tastes better than their trademark beer! Bottle is bit cooler too. Mouthfeel is very surprising for a light beer; in fact too good...something has got to be going on here...Drinkability you ask? Probably the best example of a light lager I've had yet. Props to Heineken. It doesn't have the hop strain that gets skunked, a different- not as stale tasting A-strain yeast, and just better all around than their other offering.

2.1/5  rDev -11%

This was featured at a restaurant I recently went to because it was a new item. I had never had it, and was curious as to how close it would be to Heineken, so I figured I would give it a shot...

Poured very light - almost clear - yellow - with virtually no head.

The smell was almost nothing, except for a slight starch aroma that was uninviting to say the least.

The taste was overwhelmingly watery - ridiculously so, even for the style. The slight taste that was present was mainly of some subdued adjuncts that were odd-tasting.

This was very similar to bad tap-water - no real "beer" flavor.
It was as drinkable as below-average tap water - watered-down more than most of its style. I can't see the point of drinking this, except if it is someone who does not like beer, but wants to order a beer for social reasons. If you like beer - don't bother...

2.85/5  rDev +20.8%

Someone brought these to a party recently. At the end of the night (after all the "good" beers were gone) I decided to give it a try. Pleasantly surprised. I'm not a big fan of Heineken anyway; but this wasn't too bad. It had a nice color (pale yellow) in the glass and a rich head that seemed to last forever. Not much in the smell department (I was expecting "skunk" and got none of that) but the taste was surprisingly good (mild, of course, since this is a Heineken afterall). Reminded me of a "beer flavored beverage," instead of real beer itself. But it was almost as good as Amstel, though not as true to traditional flavor as Beck's Premier Light. Still, not a bad party beer--and the lower ABV means you can drink more of them.

2.65/5  rDev +12.3%

Appearance: Sharply clear, golden color, with a small white head, which soon collapses to a dusting of foam and a small collar, with scattered broken lace, and a few streams of small, slow-rising bubbles.

Aroma: A faint skunk, with some vegetal notes, a little mildly tart pale malt, and faint hops.

Taste: Opens with a crisp, dry note of alcohol, tart malt, and some faint hops. Finishes with a mild, lingering herbal bitterness. In all, inoffensive, but quite insubstantial.

Mouth feel: Very thin, with sharp, stinging, sparkling water carbonation.

Drinkability/notes: Inoffensive, mostly due to a lack of character, really not much more than sparkling water. My fiancée’s remark was telling "Ugh, Miller Light". I would like to say that this is a lawnmower beer, but it would have to improve significantly for that.

Presentation: Packaged in a tall, narrow green glass bottle, which is taller and thinner than the standard Heineken bottle. Perhaps this is a bit of visual psychology for the weight-conscious. Served in a Pilsener glass.

2.08/5  rDev -11.9%

Heineken Premium Light Lager pours a golden color with a thick white head from a green twelve ounce bottle. The aroma is skunky and corn dominated. Very light flavor, corn toward the end. Nothing to particularly recommend this over any other light swill.

2.15/5  rDev -8.9%

bottle

pours watery and , well - light

head of large soapy bubbles dissipates very quickly

flavor is not enjoyable . Has just a hint of its parentage -

finish is just bad - skunk, medicinal and leaving husky grains behind

drain pour material

not recommended

1.47/5  rDev -37.7%

A - Yellow, slight head, heavy carbonation.

S - Smell is of malt and water.

T/M - One of the most awful light beers, could not even finish the 12oz bottle. Taste was of water, and a harsh skunky stale malt bite. Astringent and unapealling. Mouthfeel, was terrible.

D - Don't even waste your money on these.

Please, do yourself a favor and don't even try this.

1.64/5  rDev -30.5%

Appearance – This stinker came out of the lovely green bottle a solid yellow in color with a nice white head that actually left some lacing on the inside of my glass.

Smell – The skunk was in full effect here just like it was for Daddy Heiny. The putrid smell of rotten grain and moldy Pixie Stix filled the room instantly.

Taste – Oh, this is gross. I can kind of taste some grain but other than that it’s like licking a skunk’s asshole after he just inhaled two giant been burritos and a dead goldfish.

Mouthfeel – This is light-bodied with a disappointing carbonated fizzle.

Sinkability – This was a very sinkable beer.

2.35/5  rDev -0.4%

Okay here we go a brew that is a light version of Heine is that possible well let's just say I'm not sure. Appears a light golden pale hue with a bright white head leaves behind nice scattered lacing. Aroma has more skunky Euro hops sorry folks those are the facts on this beer they promote a nice skuny grassy hop character with a minimal citrus profile just enjoy and now your enjoying something high end, right? Taste has lighter crisp version of Heineken I could see this going over here with crisp hop character it finishes a tad bitter for American flavor but it's actually not that bad grassy citrus hop profile with light creamy biscuit malt tones go figure. Mouthfeel as the label reveals it's light bodied higher artificial carbonation not the end of the world. Drinkability well not that bad I could crave this in another life possibly, but once again pretty unoffensive what can I say.

2.88/5  rDev +22%

Pours a pale golden color without much of a head. Brisk carbonation stings the tongue a bit. The aroma was very faint, mostly grain, however I did not detect any skunkiness in the taste or the aroma which I found surprising actually - I was expecting it.

Taste is very clean, very crisp with a thin mouthfeel. Almost like drinking grain flavored water. Virtually no lingering after taste. I suppose the Heineken drinker who is looking for something light would like this. This bottle was left at my house, and I can't see myself ever buying it as I like fuller flavored beers. But if someone is looking for a brew that is clean and crisp, leaves no lingering taste on the palate, then this is probably it.

2.15/5  rDev -8.9%

Bottle into a pilsner glass, light yellow colour (hey, it's European). Overcarbonated, yet a thin white head; no lacing.

S: Watered down Heineken. There's a trace of a scent there, but not much of one.

Taste: Ditto. See above; substitute "taste" for "scent."

Mouthfeel: "Did I miss my mouth?" Watery, no body.

Low drinkability. Below water.

Another of the green-bottled Euro-lager attempts at a light beer. See: Beck's Light. Thanks for my brother for hooking me up with this one for free; 'cause if I'd paid for it, I'd feel really bad right now.

Avoid.

1.6/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

[free bottle abandoned at my house after a party. What, you thought I bought this?]

Actually looked pretty good when I poured it - light creamy white head even laced a bit. The body was very very light gold with a torrent of bubbles heading toward the top. They must be trying to escape from the beer. Smells pretty foul - old broccoli and corn with chemical-laden artificial butter on top. Very very light, airy texture isn't offensive, but lacks substance. Wet air, MJ? The flavor certainly lacks substance as well - I think one limp little hop leaf made it into this bottle and tries to assert itself the best it can, but the vague weak pilsmalt-sugar-water solution still overpowers it. Again, the only thing really offensive about this beer is the aroma. Everything else is just empty.

In the end, all I can think of is the oft-morphed joke "What does sex in a canoe and (insert macro beer here) have in common?"

Beermail me for the punchline if you have never heard that one.

3.03/5  rDev +28.4%

I guess it depends on what you are looking for:

If you want a Heineken, but something a little lighter, this is it. Obviously, but what I mean is they did a great job of keeping the distinct Heineken flavor and mouthfeel. It is "lighter" and a bit skunkier than it's counterpart.

If you are looking for a tasty light beer, I would suggest you go somewhere else.

I feel this beer is only for Heineken fans.

1.51/5  rDev -36%

I was not impressed with this brew -- watery taste with a slight skunk aroma -- I enjoy a nice fresh cold Heinekin in the bottle and on draft -- this did not compare favorably.

I would not purchase again.

I purchased a sixer of this beer at the local convenient market based on the slick advertising that I had seen -- bad idea.

Overall a waste of 10 bucks --

1.9/5  rDev -19.5%

A buddy of mine stopped by with a sixer of this so I figured I would give it a shot. Not much smell or taste to it. Very bland. A bit corny and skunky...kinda like bad city water in some places I've been. Too carbonated for my liking. I could only finish one and won't be having another. If I want a light beer I'll grab a SA light instead.

2.34/5  rDev -0.8%

I enjoy the full version of Heineken but the light just isn't all that good. If you are into a watered down beer, this may be the thing for you. I would say that it is a lot like a Coors Light. They have some really good commercials on TV but I did not like my sample that I tatsed at the World Beer Festival in Raleigh, NC April 2006. If you like Heineken, stick with the regular and skip the premium light.

Heineken Premium Light Lager from Heineken Nederland B.V.