Heineken Premium Light Lager | Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Premium Light LagerHeineken Premium Light Lager

Added by Jason on 03-01-2005

View: Beers
Ratings: 1,004 |  Reviews: 287
1.9/5  rDev -19.1%

A buddy of mine stopped by with a sixer of this so I figured I would give it a shot. Not much smell or taste to it. Very bland. A bit corny and skunky...kinda like bad city water in some places I've been. Too carbonated for my liking. I could only finish one and won't be having another. If I want a light beer I'll grab a SA light instead.

2.34/5  rDev -0.4%

I enjoy the full version of Heineken but the light just isn't all that good. If you are into a watered down beer, this may be the thing for you. I would say that it is a lot like a Coors Light. They have some really good commercials on TV but I did not like my sample that I tatsed at the World Beer Festival in Raleigh, NC April 2006. If you like Heineken, stick with the regular and skip the premium light.

3.2/5  rDev +36.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Doesn't taste like Heineken. Fairly bland lager taste. The mouthfeel is richer than most light beers I have tried. I certainly wouldn't look for if, but it is about on par with Miller Lite, if you are out there with a very limited selection of watery, bland beers. Appearance is less than average, the ubiquitous yellow lager color, small head that fades quickly, little smell, almost no lacing. I would like to try one without the cryogenically frosted beer mug I was given, but I'm sure the flavor would not be that much better in a non-frosted glass. Ok for a session if you are counting calories and there is nothing memorable to tempt you with.

2.31/5  rDev -1.7%

Had this from some family who came with it. Pours increadibly light colored and a small fizzy head that really fades quickly. Not really too carbonated. Smell has that floral medicinal quality I associate with regular Heineken but its fainter. Taste is also similar but fainter. Malt is really lacking and there is no sweetness or carbonation to give this beer life. Finish has a slight hoppiness but that's about it. Unfortunate that some people buy this.

2.23/5  rDev -5.1%

Medium-pale straw with a small, foamy, white head that very quickly diminishes to a thin film. Smells of stinky grain, very mild hops and some light doughy yeast. The taste isn’t as terrible as I expected at first. Light, refreshing, and easy-drinking like a light beer should be, but the finish is not so good. Too much carbonation for my liking too.
There. I tried it. No thanks. On the rare occasion that I’m in the mood for a light beer, I will NOT be picking up anymore of this. There are far better light beers out there, most of which cost less too.

2.9/5  rDev +23.4%

Pours pale straw with crystal clarity. Dense, foamy head of two and a half fingers shows good retention and leaves nice sticky lacing. Light aroma of cereal adjuncts and pale malt, but skunked hops dominate. The taste is sweet and corny with a pale malt flavor trying to pull through. A pleasently mild euro hop flavor comes through in the aftertaste, but this overcompensation for a lack of malt flavor puts the flavor out of balance. Smooth, light body with even carbonation. That distinctive "skunk" taste is the only real character in this beer, so the drinkability is good if you're fond of that light-struck flavor.

2.23/5  rDev -5.1%

Friend brought some of these over to watch a movie the other night.
Was thinking...heiney..bitter, skunky...green..beer.
Heiney light was to me actually no better.
appearance: poured straw yellow..white head that left early
aroma: a little grainy...not as skuny as regular heiney
taste: not much...a little bitter and grain...but not enought really say i am hops hear me roar..carbonation was fizzy.
mouthfeel: watery...like setzler water
drinkablility: easy to drink..but not really satisfying..might work on a hot day...but i will pass..

Overall...a marco larger aimed at the college crowd who think the green bottle is cool....i'll pass unless it is free.

1.72/5  rDev -26.8%

Apparently, Heineken hasn't introduced a new beer in 131 years, and it took them 18 to come up with this little number. Hold onto that thought for a minute.

Heineken Light smells exactly like a skunk. Exactly. We're talking essence of roadkill here. It's almost interesting how bad this beer smells. If you enjoy the smell of burning tires, Heineken Light is the beer for you. Sorry it took so long.

The taste is more of the same, albeit to a lesser degree. It's really remarkable what they (Heineken's crack team of brewers) have done here when you think about it: they spent two decades extracting every last taste molecule out of regular Heineken. I wouldn't have thought it would take that long, but I do congratulate them on the thoroughness of their acheivement.

2.85/5  rDev +21.3%

Certainly better than Amstel Light, but not as good as the now discontinued Beck's Light (not to be confused with Beck's Premier Light). These are the only other "green bottle" light beer I have tried.

Overall a very drinlable beer - as you would expect. I don't like the regular Heineken, but this beer doesn't have that sourness that I associate with Heineken.

I'd rather drink this than regular Heineken or any other light beer on the market. But since I have come to terms with my beer gut, I will stick to the good stuff.

3.6/5  rDev +53.2%

just an average drinkable beer. very very light, crisp taste. however you can taste that it is a quality made light beer. this sint a bud light we are talking about here. deep, complex taste no, cheap crap no. again would reccomend for dieters mainly.

1.95/5  rDev -17%

Heineken “Premium” Light Lager Beer pours a peaked amber from its 12oz light green glass bottle.

Nose is of fizz water and fizz water...
Palate is...??? FIZZ WATER!!!

What gives? What will it take? For a Major Brewer to come up with a “Light Lager” That really really tastes like real BEER!

2.09/5  rDev -11.1%

I am not sure if it is lighter in color than regular Heineken because I had it in a bottle. It is bland with a very watery almost club soda type mouthfeel. I would call this a "n/h" beer for non-hopped. There would be no suprise to find out that they removed the hop flavor from this beer after brewing in the way non-alcoholic beers are made. Yet this is one of the few "light" beers that tastes very close to its non-light offering. A true swill nonetheless.

2.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

This has got to be one of the most weak and fruitless beers I think I have ever had. It doesn't have on offensive taste or an offensive smell. It's just SO light, it's nearly void of anything. It poured a crystal clear medium yellow with a snow white head about 20mm thick which faded quickly. Weak, watery, quickly dissolving lacing forms on the sides of my glass, but, as stated above, dissolves if you rock the glass. Has that sour smell (is this hops?) that Heineken and Grolsch are notorious for, just on a bit of a scaled down level (hey, it's the light version). Taste is quite light as the flavour (what little bit is there) seems to wait about a half a second to manifest itself. The flavour seems to be very lightly of malt and almost void of hops at all...you really have to search for them. Mouthfeel is positively scary!! Absolutely watery....not quite Michelob Ultra watery..but close, and the carbonation level is a bit lousy, too. I gave the drinkability a 3.5 simply because you could probably drink an enormous amount fo this stuff. It is what it is, I suppose, and I imagine it will fill a certain niche and they'll probably sell a staggering amount of this stuff. For what it is and what it is supposed to be, I suppose it's okay. If my only choices were this and a BMC, I'd either have this or a glass of water.
Blessed Be
-SS

I've had better import light lagers. I've had worse, too. Pours out to a medium yellow color with a short lived head of foam. Minor notes of lace. Aromas of light malt and mild hops, some cereal notes. Taste was fair; some sweet malt and grain, touches of watery hops. Mouthfeel is mediocre; not to be confused with thirst-quenching. Drinkability is fair. Possibly the best pick at a boring bar, but nothing special.

2.51/5  rDev +6.8%

The only reason this beer even sells at all in the USA is because the Traditional Heineken Lager has a bit of a classy mage here in the US (maybe across the pond is different, I wouldn't know).

This beer looks and tastes the same as you would expect from a light beer. It pours clear straw yellow and has *very* little aroma. The taste is just watery and thin and typical. There is nothing offensive about it but also there is nothing interesting either. The mouthfeel is very sudsy with no weight behind the carbonation. The drinkability is about the same as any sparkly water. It would be very drinkable if you actually wanted to drink the stuff.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.1/5  rDev +31.9%

Well there's not much that wasn't expected here. Heineken light in the green bottle is light-struck ("skunked") just like the regular version. It pretty much tastes like regular Heineken that's been watered-down, yet it still retains most of the alcohol. Gone are the nice, malts and herbal hops. It is, however, very refreshing. Very refreshing! - kind of like water. And, it has enough hop flavor and bitterness that it tastes much more like "beer" than the American "light" beers. There are better light beers available (Sam Adam's, for example), but in comparison to the likes of Bud Light, Miller Lite, Amstel Light, and Corona Light I'd take this one.

2.4/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Among light beers, this is no worse than average, and perhaps a bit better, but then, this is a low standard to start with. Overall, the flavor profile seemed true to the standard Heineken lager, only watered-down. I suspect you could achieve the same effect by letting a couple of ice cubes melt in a glass of Heineken. Neither offensive nor enjoyable. Just wet.

2.43/5  rDev +3.4%

12 oz green bottle with plastic labels and a bottle code which may or may not have anything to do with freshness.

A- Pale golden straw with a fizzy looking lace from hasty bubbles rising to the top.

S- Not much in the aroma other than some faint grain and cooked hops.

T&M- A bit more smooth than crisp in the light and dry body. Mild astringent quality middle to end. Quick bite of grain and hop bitterness and then the clean and dry after tastes quickly sets in.

D- A watery beer, this is a beer for people that really don't want to drink beer or think that drinking regular beer will make them fat ... its not all of the fast food and junk food that made them fat right? When will this low-carb beer fad die a quick death?

2.9/5  rDev +23.4%

Poured a pale yellow color with modest white head. Smell is so minimal as to be virtually non-existent. Taste is also so very light as to be almost nothing. Mouth fell is nothing. This beer is almost completely tasteless. At least there is nothing offensive about it.

2.3/5  rDev -2.1%

Heineken Premium Light
12 oz green bottle
Served mainly out of the bottle, but also used an 8 oz juice glass for appearance

Pours a light yellow. Strange carbonation patterns rise to the top of the glass. The beer appears limp and lacking character. No head or lacings to note. Not impressed.

Bland nose with whiffs of corn and rice.

Light corn mixed with a watery mouthfeel. The finish that has a sweet fake sugar taste that is awful. Sugary in an artificial way. Much too bland and tasteless to be enjoyed. This beer becomes progressively worse as it warms. Better as cold as possible to mask taste.

Ehhh. Not recommended.

2.36/5  rDev +0.4%

Foamy head, which quickly dissipates. Reminds me of a Rolling Rock, I taste corn. Very carbonated, which I expected to cover up the horrible taste. As with most light beers, very drinkable. If I had no other beer around, I could slam down quite a few of these at a summer BBQ. I dont even think this tastes anything like Heineken

There is always something I didnt like about Heineken. There are few things that erk me more than seeing someone drinking a Heineken, thinking its such a "high-class" beer, looking down their noses at someone drinking a Budweiser because they think a Budweiser tastes like water and Heineken is "so much of a heavier beer!". This beer (Heineken Light) is gonna be a favorite of the macro beer crowd who couldnt "stomach" Heineken and can now say "I drink HEINEKEN!!"

As you can see, I have some bias against Heineken drinkers, because they tend to be some of the most pompous individuals I have ever met.

That being said, this just makes Heineken even worse. I just despise it.

3.05/5  rDev +29.8%

I was interested in trying this after hearing about it from a friend who works for Heineken's marketing dept because regular Heineken has always been present in my area of Long Island. I had read about the test marketing sites doing very well, which eventually led to a full product rollout.

It was very fresh in the pouring stage and the first smell told me this would be good with marinated (Cajun style) catfish, just like regular Heineken. The frothy head led to a first taste that started out like any other European lager and then it cut short. Strange. It was like cutting the bass off of a graphic equalizer and then enhancing the remaining sound with reverb.

Well, the Heineken Light finished well with the baked catfish after three bottles of them. I know it will be well received this summer by the thirsty masses in the Hamptons, the Cape, and Mystic as the marketing effort gets going.

2.54/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours out a yellow straw, a bit darker than i thought it would be, white head foams up.

Smell. Very grainy. Has no hop appearance. just that grainy and cereal-like maltiness to it.

Taste. Again, no hops as expected. taste is grainy, and a bit like cereal to it. The aroma really correlated to the flavor. not as bad as i thought it would be.

Mouthfeel. its decent for a light, but not all that good. good amount of carbonation.

Overall, better than i thought, but not good. But as a financial aspect, i think they should have made this years ago as i'm sure they will make millions. But as for the beer, i'll pass.

2.49/5  rDev +6%

Sampled from a bottle purchased from the Beverage Warehouse in Culver City California.

Pours a clear yellow beer with an honest Lager head on it. It does look like a lager.

Smell is a little sweet with a bit of malt scent to it. Trace of Sulfur in the scent and a faint herbal hop aroma. It doesn't really smell like a Heineken.

Taste is not much really. Faint essence of a Heineken and some honest herbal hop flavor and some honest bitterness. A bit seltzer like in texture but there is some honest flavor here. Slightly lemony tart in taste.

Mouthfeel is seltzer water + a little.

For real beer this isn't good, but for a light beer this is a great deal better than anything made in the USA. It won't make you throw out your Pilsner but if you had no other choice except light beer this would be the one I would pick. I can't trash this it is far better than Bud Light or Michelob Ultra.

2.34/5  rDev -0.4%

I may be one of the first in Maine to try Heineken Light, as I was told that it isn't supposed to be released (retail) until April 1. But I saw a case on the beer delivery truck, and talked the store owner into getting it for me. Bad idea. Tastes a lot like Becks Light - a good hoppiness but a chemical aftertaste. The aroma makes one think that they used artificial hop flavoring ; artificial.

Heineken Premium Light Lager from Heineken Nederland B.V.
Beer rating: 2.35 out of 5 with 1,004 ratings