Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Heineken Premium Light Lager | Heineken Nederland B.V.

Heineken Premium Light LagerHeineken Premium Light Lager

3.3% ABV in some states in the USA

Added by Jason on 03-01-2005

firstprev| 926-950 | 951-975 | 976-1000  | next → last
2.4/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 3.5

This has got to be one of the most weak and fruitless beers I think I have ever had. It doesn't have on offensive taste or an offensive smell. It's just SO light, it's nearly void of anything. It poured a crystal clear medium yellow with a snow white head about 20mm thick which faded quickly. Weak, watery, quickly dissolving lacing forms on the sides of my glass, but, as stated above, dissolves if you rock the glass. Has that sour smell (is this hops?) that Heineken and Grolsch are notorious for, just on a bit of a scaled down level (hey, it's the light version). Taste is quite light as the flavour (what little bit is there) seems to wait about a half a second to manifest itself. The flavour seems to be very lightly of malt and almost void of hops at all...you really have to search for them. Mouthfeel is positively scary!! Absolutely watery....not quite Michelob Ultra watery..but close, and the carbonation level is a bit lousy, too. I gave the drinkability a 3.5 simply because you could probably drink an enormous amount fo this stuff. It is what it is, I suppose, and I imagine it will fill a certain niche and they'll probably sell a staggering amount of this stuff. For what it is and what it is supposed to be, I suppose it's okay. If my only choices were this and a BMC, I'd either have this or a glass of water.
Blessed Be
-SS

I've had better import light lagers. I've had worse, too. Pours out to a medium yellow color with a short lived head of foam. Minor notes of lace. Aromas of light malt and mild hops, some cereal notes. Taste was fair; some sweet malt and grain, touches of watery hops. Mouthfeel is mediocre; not to be confused with thirst-quenching. Drinkability is fair. Possibly the best pick at a boring bar, but nothing special.

2.51/5  rDev +7.3%

The only reason this beer even sells at all in the USA is because the Traditional Heineken Lager has a bit of a classy mage here in the US (maybe across the pond is different, I wouldn't know).

This beer looks and tastes the same as you would expect from a light beer. It pours clear straw yellow and has *very* little aroma. The taste is just watery and thin and typical. There is nothing offensive about it but also there is nothing interesting either. The mouthfeel is very sudsy with no weight behind the carbonation. The drinkability is about the same as any sparkly water. It would be very drinkable if you actually wanted to drink the stuff.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.1/5  rDev +32.5%

Well there's not much that wasn't expected here. Heineken light in the green bottle is light-struck ("skunked") just like the regular version. It pretty much tastes like regular Heineken that's been watered-down, yet it still retains most of the alcohol. Gone are the nice, malts and herbal hops. It is, however, very refreshing. Very refreshing! - kind of like water. And, it has enough hop flavor and bitterness that it tastes much more like "beer" than the American "light" beers. There are better light beers available (Sam Adam's, for example), but in comparison to the likes of Bud Light, Miller Lite, Amstel Light, and Corona Light I'd take this one.

2.4/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

Among light beers, this is no worse than average, and perhaps a bit better, but then, this is a low standard to start with. Overall, the flavor profile seemed true to the standard Heineken lager, only watered-down. I suspect you could achieve the same effect by letting a couple of ice cubes melt in a glass of Heineken. Neither offensive nor enjoyable. Just wet.

2.43/5  rDev +3.8%

12 oz green bottle with plastic labels and a bottle code which may or may not have anything to do with freshness.

A- Pale golden straw with a fizzy looking lace from hasty bubbles rising to the top.

S- Not much in the aroma other than some faint grain and cooked hops.

T&M- A bit more smooth than crisp in the light and dry body. Mild astringent quality middle to end. Quick bite of grain and hop bitterness and then the clean and dry after tastes quickly sets in.

D- A watery beer, this is a beer for people that really don't want to drink beer or think that drinking regular beer will make them fat ... its not all of the fast food and junk food that made them fat right? When will this low-carb beer fad die a quick death?

2.9/5  rDev +23.9%

Poured a pale yellow color with modest white head. Smell is so minimal as to be virtually non-existent. Taste is also so very light as to be almost nothing. Mouth fell is nothing. This beer is almost completely tasteless. At least there is nothing offensive about it.

2.3/5  rDev -1.7%

Heineken Premium Light
12 oz green bottle
Served mainly out of the bottle, but also used an 8 oz juice glass for appearance

Pours a light yellow. Strange carbonation patterns rise to the top of the glass. The beer appears limp and lacking character. No head or lacings to note. Not impressed.

Bland nose with whiffs of corn and rice.

Light corn mixed with a watery mouthfeel. The finish that has a sweet fake sugar taste that is awful. Sugary in an artificial way. Much too bland and tasteless to be enjoyed. This beer becomes progressively worse as it warms. Better as cold as possible to mask taste.

Ehhh. Not recommended.

2.36/5  rDev +0.9%

Foamy head, which quickly dissipates. Reminds me of a Rolling Rock, I taste corn. Very carbonated, which I expected to cover up the horrible taste. As with most light beers, very drinkable. If I had no other beer around, I could slam down quite a few of these at a summer BBQ. I dont even think this tastes anything like Heineken

There is always something I didnt like about Heineken. There are few things that erk me more than seeing someone drinking a Heineken, thinking its such a "high-class" beer, looking down their noses at someone drinking a Budweiser because they think a Budweiser tastes like water and Heineken is "so much of a heavier beer!". This beer (Heineken Light) is gonna be a favorite of the macro beer crowd who couldnt "stomach" Heineken and can now say "I drink HEINEKEN!!"

As you can see, I have some bias against Heineken drinkers, because they tend to be some of the most pompous individuals I have ever met.

That being said, this just makes Heineken even worse. I just despise it.

3.05/5  rDev +30.3%

I was interested in trying this after hearing about it from a friend who works for Heineken's marketing dept because regular Heineken has always been present in my area of Long Island. I had read about the test marketing sites doing very well, which eventually led to a full product rollout.

It was very fresh in the pouring stage and the first smell told me this would be good with marinated (Cajun style) catfish, just like regular Heineken. The frothy head led to a first taste that started out like any other European lager and then it cut short. Strange. It was like cutting the bass off of a graphic equalizer and then enhancing the remaining sound with reverb.

Well, the Heineken Light finished well with the baked catfish after three bottles of them. I know it will be well received this summer by the thirsty masses in the Hamptons, the Cape, and Mystic as the marketing effort gets going.

2.54/5  rDev +8.5%

Pours out a yellow straw, a bit darker than i thought it would be, white head foams up.

Smell. Very grainy. Has no hop appearance. just that grainy and cereal-like maltiness to it.

Taste. Again, no hops as expected. taste is grainy, and a bit like cereal to it. The aroma really correlated to the flavor. not as bad as i thought it would be.

Mouthfeel. its decent for a light, but not all that good. good amount of carbonation.

Overall, better than i thought, but not good. But as a financial aspect, i think they should have made this years ago as i'm sure they will make millions. But as for the beer, i'll pass.

2.49/5  rDev +6.4%

Sampled from a bottle purchased from the Beverage Warehouse in Culver City California.

Pours a clear yellow beer with an honest Lager head on it. It does look like a lager.

Smell is a little sweet with a bit of malt scent to it. Trace of Sulfur in the scent and a faint herbal hop aroma. It doesn't really smell like a Heineken.

Taste is not much really. Faint essence of a Heineken and some honest herbal hop flavor and some honest bitterness. A bit seltzer like in texture but there is some honest flavor here. Slightly lemony tart in taste.

Mouthfeel is seltzer water + a little.

For real beer this isn't good, but for a light beer this is a great deal better than anything made in the USA. It won't make you throw out your Pilsner but if you had no other choice except light beer this would be the one I would pick. I can't trash this it is far better than Bud Light or Michelob Ultra.

2.34/5  rDev 0%

I may be one of the first in Maine to try Heineken Light, as I was told that it isn't supposed to be released (retail) until April 1. But I saw a case on the beer delivery truck, and talked the store owner into getting it for me. Bad idea. Tastes a lot like Becks Light - a good hoppiness but a chemical aftertaste. The aroma makes one think that they used artificial hop flavoring ; artificial.

2.5/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Was offered one by a friend. Unfortunately I did not turn this down.

Appearance: Poured from the bottle into a pint glass (it was what they had). Typical light lager. Light golden, thin foamy white head, disappeared to form a thin ring around the glass, no lacing. Tiny bubbles floating excitedly through the liquid.

Smell: Well, I did not get the typical euro Heinie skunk scent, that's a plus. Unfortunately I really don't smell anything. Perhaps a touch sweet.

Taste: It is a little sweet. Overall, I am getting absolutely no bitterness here. Just a touch of sweetness in the middle, then nothing.

Mouthfeel: Light, thin, and watery. I guess it's spot on for a light lager.

Drinkability: Not something I would normally go for. Would I have this again? Hmmm, I suppose if offered I would do so as not to offend. It did not have any negative tastes/smells, because it really didn't have any.

Side note: The women I was with absolutely loved this, so it will probably be a hit money wise. Beer wise, it is a step back. Was this really necessary? Also, the bottle is a little different than the regular Heineken. Its not as squat and fat, but a little more slender and hipper. I can see where the packaging would appeal to women and hipster/trendy folk.

2.25/5  rDev -3.8%

I had never heard of Heineken Light before I was accidentally served a bottle at a local restaurant (I ordered a regular Heineken). As a rule, I don't drink light beer but I thought I would keep the bottle and try it. Perhaps my opinion of light beers would improve...

Uh, no.

This beer poured a light straw color and I tried, with decent success, to pour a respectable head. The head was gone fast. This beer smells a lot like regular Heineken, only muted. The signature skunkiness was still there. The taste was empty. The mouthfeel was very watery. While I suppose that this beer was more Heineken-like than a Bud Light, it still failed to distinguish itself as anything more than "beer."

I'm sure that Heineken Light will thrill plenty of college kids and I'm sure its light nature allows plenty of trips to the fridge, but if you're a beer drinker, beware.

2.06/5  rDev -12%

In short, this beer doesn't add anything to the light macro lager field. It had the same slightly metallic, chemical taste of Coors Light--it tastes more like Coors Light than like Bud Light or Miller Lite, which provides a frame of reference. It doesn't taste much like Heineken. I give 'em credit for spelling out "light" rather than using "lite." So drinking this beer promotes literacy, but that's about it.

1.54/5  rDev -34.2%

What were they thinking? A light beer that will be a direct competitor to Amstel. How dumb! And so far, I haven't seen any marketing for this offensive brew. It's been in the RI market for a year and is set to hit MA in March for on-premise and April for off-premise. Why the one month delay? No one knows. A salesman dropped off a sample the other day, so I opted to give it a try.

Classic Heineken skunkiness followed by a watery, thin mouthfeel and a bland aftertaste. Woo-hoo! Sure am glad they bothered to make this beer. That's sarcasm, folks. Maybe this would be a halfway decent lawnmower beer if it wasn't a "light" beer and had some oomph behind it, but alas...another bad import in GREEN GLASS.

firstprev| 926-950 | 951-975 | 976-1000  | next → last
Heineken Premium Light Lager from Heineken Nederland B.V.