Heineken Premium Light Lager | Heineken Nederland B.V.

awful

Style: Light Lager

Added by Jason on 03-01-2005

Reviews: 269 | Ratings: 948
1.88/5  rDev -20%

12oz green bottle into an Italian style pilsner glass.

A- Bright and clean yellowy-gold color, 1+ finger head, no lacing. Lots and lots of big bubbles.

S- It has the Heineken standard issue dirty cat box skunkiness. Very, very unpleasant.

T- It tasted to me like nothing more than wet undecooked white bread.

M- A bit light and crisp, nothing really. It's just so hard to get past the nose.

O- This was my only choice at a friend's house today. Otherwise, I may never have drank this beer. I did not finish the entire serving but it was easy to read.

1.88/5  rDev -20%

Appearance - Pale yellow, slight white head that dissipated quickly, very slight laciness

Smell - As soon as the bottle was opened it was skunk, very strong. Remained skunky.

Taste - Hard to get past the skunky smell, it tasted skuny. Not much other flavor.

Mouthfeel - Watery

Drinkability - Light beer, but the skunkiness killed it.

Overall - Hard to get past the skunkiness, not impressed.

1.89/5  rDev -19.6%

Hazy very light straw color. Head reduces but hangs around a little while. Not much smell, what I detect is wet cardboard. Taste is like taking one part macro lager and adding 5 parts or so mineral water, nothing to detect really. It was free, never had this before and never will again. There is however no skunkiness or sulfur to deal with, if it mattered that would be a good thing.

1.9/5  rDev -19.1%

A buddy of mine stopped by with a sixer of this so I figured I would give it a shot. Not much smell or taste to it. Very bland. A bit corny and skunky...kinda like bad city water in some places I've been. Too carbonated for my liking. I could only finish one and won't be having another. If I want a light beer I'll grab a SA light instead.

1.9/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

I bought a 12pk of this from Woodman's for $12 in Janesville, WI in Winter 2011 but it was basically free after rebate which is the only reason I purchased it.

Pours a very pale, clear yellow that has a fast disappearing head even if you pour the beer way too quickly. Scent is that cheap grains which are musty to my nose. Taste is weak, very weak. This is barely a step up from water. This is basically water with a hint of beer. It amazes me how this stuff even sells on a regular basis. This is one of those beers that it should be ok for minors to buy due to its weakness. I'm glad it was free because at full price $12 was $12 too much.

1.9/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: Pure yellow gold, light bubbles on the body....head a natural white rising about 1/4".

Smell: Has a sour aroma or hops...light, not sure if you really want to inhale this.

Taste: Light bitterness not to mention light hops, watery and too bland. I know it's light but it lacks flavor.

Mouth: medium, no stickiness.

Overall: Drank this because it was offered to me at my best friend's house or I wouldn't have ordered it. Not a fan of light beers and very few have caught my attention. This definitely isn't one of them. Salud.

1.91/5  rDev -18.7%

12 oz can poured into pint glass

A: Definitely its best attribute, very clear pale gold, but a nice pure white, surprisingly stable and decent sized head

S: Not much here at all, maybe crispness comes from hops, maybe a light grain, I can't tell

T: I thought the aroma was bad, several of my friends verified this tastes like water

M: This can wasn't super carbonated, but it is light, not bad

D: Decent, but why would you drink this, stick with water

Notes: It lacked the skunked flavor of a green bottle, but maybe thats a bad thing, atleast that way it has some flavor. This literally tastes like water. With some increased taste it wouldn't be bad, but sadly even Amstel Light beats this.

standard 12oz bottle

This is the first Heineken I've tried, and I'm not impressed. I don't like the appearance, looks like fizzy, pale soda. Had a slight skunky smell to it, very little flavor. No aroma to speak of, and very little hop taste. Feels watery and a bit acidic in the mouth. I guess since it's so bland and watery you could down a bunch of them, but why bother with this stuff?
Better than an American light beer maybe, but still not one I'd want to try again.

1.93/5  rDev -17.9%

appearance is less than average. Very light almost white lager.
Smells of cooked corn, dms and slight skunk.
Tastes like the nose, watery corn water with grains. Very light hops that are euro style but not fresh and starting to skunk.
Mouthfeel is light and watery.
Drinkability suffers due to the lack of taste, and whatever taste is there is bad. Stay away from this one.

1.93/5  rDev -17.9%

This brew was one of my early beers I had, I actually stole a bottom from a friends parents fridge hoping they wouldn't notice. As far as I know they never noticed. Anyway the beer was decent at the time but since then I've had much better. The beer looks much like regular Heineken and smells the too. the taste is just a little more watered down.

1.94/5  rDev -17.4%

Pure marketing crap. I think the difference in calories (last time I checked) between regular Heineken and Heinenken Light is a whopping 11 calories!

This beer is just watered down Heineken. I wouldn't even use this for cooking or beer batter. Get real Heineken or a Stella instead. Don't fall for the marketing jive.

1.95/5  rDev -17%

I had this one with a group of guys following a round of golf. It wouldn’t have been my choice, but it was all that was being served. It serves up about what is expected from a light beer. It sports a pale straw color with a fizzy head. The aroma is almost nonexistent, with only a faint whiff of grassiness and hops. There’s virtually no flavor, and the beer is exceptionally dry. Watery body and empty finish. This beer is simply forgettable.

1.95/5  rDev -17%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

A- Pours a pale yellow with a super foamy head and off white lacing. Nothing to write home about, just like your typical light beer.

S- Grainy, bready, not overwhelming; just unattractive in general. The smell doesn't invite me to want to drink this one, but I did anyway. You can also smell that there will be some bitterness in this beer.

T- Pretty watery, just look at the alcohol content. Also kind of bittery and some mustiness to it. Yuck.

M- The carbonation makes this beer score low here.

D- Drinkable. I could see anyone having maybe a six pack of this in a couple hours. Nothing really could hold one back from drinking a lot of these because the alcohol content is low.

1.95/5  rDev -17%

Heineken “Premium” Light Lager Beer pours a peaked amber from its 12oz light green glass bottle.

Nose is of fizz water and fizz water...
Palate is...??? FIZZ WATER!!!

What gives? What will it take? For a Major Brewer to come up with a “Light Lager” That really really tastes like real BEER!

1.97/5  rDev -16.2%

Pours a clean, pale yellow color, with a white head. In the aroma, sweet and small skunky malt. In the taste, small sweet malt, but quite bland. A small bite, but mostly smooth mouthfeel, with a clean, small dry aftertaste. Kind of skunky, but a clean, small sweet malt.

1.99/5  rDev -15.3%

Drank from a can found in my sister's fridge, i figured what the hell.

A- I drank this from the can but poured a bit into a small glass. Light straw yellow with a fizzy minimal white cap that left before i got to know it. no lace.

S- HL smells like Pepé Le Pew, very skunky just like the regular version. Maybe some malts in here and very faded hops. All I really get is the skunked smell.

T- Well, the taste is slightly skunked as well but not as much as the regular version, hence, this being the light version. Grains and just a notion of hop presence. Some bready malts as well.

M- Thin and light but alot of active carbonation is heard and felt. Goes down very easy and would be better without pepe.

D- Not really, I finished my can because I was parched and needed some liquid but I would not willingly buy this for myself, or bring it to a party. I need to try a heineken in amsterdam to see if there is a difference, because I get the feeling they just send the U.S. the dregs of the heineken line-up.

Among light beers, this is no worse than average, and perhaps a bit better, but then, this is a low standard to start with. Overall, the flavor profile seemed true to the standard Heineken lager, only watered-down. I suspect you could achieve the same effect by letting a couple of ice cubes melt in a glass of Heineken. Neither offensive nor enjoyable. Just wet.

So why does Henie need a light version? I dunno. This is basically Heineken cut with (more) water. Everything is diluted. Appearance, even more straw yellow, more white head, disappears even faster. Aroma, less skunky, but I liked the skunk.

Taste, less skunky, but I buy Heineken when I wants me some skunk. In the words of the Circle Jerks, "I just want some skunk." Well, close enough. Anyways, the water downplays the zestiness, even the carbonation. I can imagine the making of a Heineken light 12 pack.

Take Heineken 6 pack. Add equal parts water to the beer. Voila! 12 pack of Heinecken light.

Heineken- Premium Light

Appearance- Light yellow almost clear with a quick fizzy head.
Smell- Very sugary sweet syrupy malt. Rice and corn adjunct.
Taste- Sweet rice and corn flavors. Very watery very little flavor here.
Mouthfeel- Watery up front followed by a quick burst of sweet adjunct flavoring and finishing off watery and lifeless.

Overall- Practically no flavor. Don't waste your time.

Someone left a few in my fridge so I figured I'd review it. I'm going back onto my,"don't drink and review macro's" ban!!!

Again had this at a cocktail hour last night with little to choose from. Hey, why not try it and give it a chance.

Yellow and fizzy for sure. Not much nose, other than a bitter smell coming from it. Hard to detect much when you don't like the smell.

Taste was just about as bad. Bitter, grainy taste with little else. Light mouthfeel with lots of carbonation.

This is a good dollar beer night beer. Couldn't wait to get home and get something hoppy with a little flavor to it!

Never had heineken light until now. everyones reviews were spot on, so i wont waste my time typing something that doesnt deserve a critical review, and at 3% abv, i feel like im drinking skunk smelling water. basically, i drank it to add it to my bottle collection and the remaining will be used for beer pong when the buddies come over

look: 1.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Unfortunately this looks and tastes just like 6 oz Heineken and 6 oz mineral water. Dilute the appearance, dilute the Euro lager aroma.

Taste is just real watered down, even the spritzy carbonation and hop effect seems muted here, the yeast, the skunking, just everything.

There is really nothing to add here from a regular Heineken review, just way more watered down to the point that hops, yeast and malt are very obscured.

Well it has one saving quality. its pretty easy going down. That is about all that makes this beer still exist. It smells and tastes like a skunky nightmare. This is the antithesis of a good beer. A very subtle malt and hop character, but honestly i dont get anything from this beer. I wonder who goes out and purchases this beer to keep in their home. I wouldn't want to be their friend, and you shouldn't either. It is really heineken light, and i mean heineken is light and terrible to begin with. Why make it worse. This is the most terrible eurotrash macro i have come across.

Pours a pale yellow color, some carbonation, little fizzy white head, with some minimal sticky lacing left behind. The nose is grainy/ricy. The taste is the same as the nose. Light Body. Again another lame attempt for a beer. What a waste of a bottle.

2.01/5  rDev -14.5%

This Heineken Light out of the bottle poured an unimpressive light yellow with very little head. The aroma is of a slight graininess and maybe some hops but not a lot. The usual green bottle skunky aroma was also in effect. Taste wise there was nothing redeemable about this beer. My first impression was of a grainy wet cardboard taste, but not in a good way. The beer did end rather dry without much fuss though. Drinkability wise while I could drink a few of these I would wonder why anyone would want to.

Heineken Premium Light Lager from Heineken Nederland B.V.