Heineken Lager Beer | Heineken Nederland B.V.

Read the review
Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer

Heineken Nederland B.V.

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Reviews: 1,357 | Ratings: 4,787
2.89/5  rDev +5.1%

L- nice bottle design, beer is clear golden colour
S- a bit of the skunk smell
T- the taste is OK a bit of bitterness on the back end, overall the taste is not great but its not terrible.
F- light, goes down easy

4.14/5  rDev +50.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. A bunch of snot nose millenials that were shi**ing yellow while this was the best beer you could buy calling this beer swill. It both amuses and annoys me to read ratings by people that have no understandiing/appreciaton for beer's history. Don't get me wrong...I'm a hophead that brews my own beer (since 1990), and wouldn't brew this style. I generally prefer IPA's, pale ales, and an occasional saison or belgian. But so many on this site rate beers poorly because they don't like the STYLE, not because the beer is a poor example of the style. Okay, the green bottle is a poor choice, and I've had plenty of Heinekens that were a little skunky in my day. But it's also true that in the 70's, 80's, 90's and even after 2000, there weren't a ton of choices, and this was the only flavorful brew you could routinely find. Even today, taking pains not to romanticize my history with Heineken, it's a strong representation. Sharp bite with earthy European hops, a LOT more flavor than American macros, and a clean finish. I generally mix one in between Pliny's, Zombie Dust, Founder's Centennial, and my other IPA mainstays as a "palate cleanser." This, and a few other poorly rated beers are still great (Pilsener Urquell, Stella, and even-yes, Corona) are still great beers- In spite of what some youngsters that just last year discovered craft beer, and think every thing else is garbage- might tell you.

1.56/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

First review! Hopefully the first of many. After years of not going near Heineken (it seemed to always be around at college) I made the mistake of trying it again. Surely, surely, this cannot be "available in 192 countries"? If the acrid smell doesn't put you off, then the weak as water taste and over the top carbonation sure as heck will. I've enjoyed some wonderful European lagers...and gin...and vodka...but this ain't one of them. Sorry Heineken, this is kinda awful.

3.77/5  rDev +37.1%

The beer is a clear straw color with medium carbonation. The head was extremely thin and lasted about one minute. All i got was a slight malt smell but no hops. Also no skunk smells despite what everyone here is saying. No any other aromas but the same can be said for the flavor. Mild flavors of grass wheat and corn but the beer is smooth and easy to drink. Not very bitter at all but I did drink it out of a can and there was a metallic taste to it.

4.28/5  rDev +55.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

For baby boomers, was the classy brew. Not a lagar you can pound after a long hot day, but with a fine dinner like surf and turf, it feels just right. And remember, prostituion is legal in Holland!

2.94/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from can.
L: Too-thin golden hue; nice foamy head that dissipates quickly.
S: Like a skunk's ass.
T: Initially refreshing, with pleasant corn sweetness. Left a somewhat gross, metallic aftertaste.
F: Much better than naught when you're broke!
O: I find Heineken to be of highly variable quality. At its best it is sweet and refreshing, with even a bit of creaminess.

2.48/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Look - light gold color, very think with really no head
Smell - skunk
Taste - really lacking much flavor but taste like a cheap Pilsner
Feel - medium light body with medium carbonation.
Overall - no thanks

3.44/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A decent light lager for a megabrew. Yellow, bubbly, and consistent typical beer. Green bottles lead to more degradation and some skunking so beware the bottle that might have been sitting around your hosts lair for months and months. Still a better go to than many American megabrews, but pales in comparison to more flavorful offerings.

1.77/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Golden beer with mild head. Smells of a fresh skunk I hit on hi way. Taste is grain and skunk with a clean finish. I have to admit I drank a lot of these as a young guy, better tasting as your buzz goes but will give an average all around.

2.78/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

The beer pours with an average size head, and seems to have a decent amount of carbonation. As Euro pale lagers go, this one has a slightly darker color than most. It smells quite musty and skunky. This beer really has a unique smell for a macro-lager. The taste is bitter , and it has a mineral-like after taste. My overall impression of this beer is that it is a macor Euro Pale Lager with it's own personality and distinct aroma. Plus for the price point it's a pretty good value. It costs the same as Budweiser, Miller MGD, and Coors.

I'd recommend this beer to anyone who is looking for a low cost lager with more flavor than similarly priced lagers.

2.28/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a golden hue. Skunky aroma leads you to know that it is going to be skunk flavored. That's the problem with these green bottled euro lagers. Sure enough, it is exactly skunk flavored. It is fairly clean and that is a redeeming quality.

3.4/5  rDev +23.6%

I get this as my weeknight beer in 16 ounce cans at $24.99 per case which is quite a deal. My weekend beer is Warsteiner and I also like Schlitz Gusto.

This beer is solid and dependable for an evening of sports and relaxation.

It also treats me well the next day proving its not made of junk. As much as I like Schlitz, Heineken is better for the morning after with a taste that is as good or better.

Not the greatest but at the cost and convenience its perfect after a hard day's work and certainly better than most of the standard American brews.

Not for beer snobs but works perfectly for me. I like!

4.07/5  rDev +48%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

My go-to beer when in U.S. Has a very distinct cat-piss smell to it but is a decent European beer that is available just about anywhere. I love my beers but I also like shitty dive bars.

3.34/5  rDev +21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

APPEARANCE: A crystal clear golden with plenty of medium size bubbles rising. Produced a finger + of white foamy head that eventually settles down to a thin layer. Leaves some fair lacing down the glass.
AROMA: Quite a bit more grassy/grainy/hoppy than the AAL lagers I've had.
TASTE: Grassy, corn husk.
FEEL: Strong carbonation, medium thin body, fairly dry on the finish.
OVERALL: A good choice for a barbeque, tailgate party etc... Not skunky, it has a pleasant but minor bite from the hops.

2.08/5  rDev -24.4%

Looks a bit too yellow to be regarded highly, but has a nice head for a lager. Tends to smell skunky, even from a tap (maybe it's in my head). But I generally don't mind that off flavor. I find the hop profile clean and refreshing but unable to mask the skunk entirely. I dislike the texture, it is watery tasting but somehow thick and syrup like.

While this in not a popular among craft beer lovers, we all have a commercial beer that appeals to us for whatever reason. Heineken was the first beer I drank on a regular basis after years of not drinking beer due to poor taste. While Heineken's flavor may not compare well to the great ales we now have available, it's my favorite among the mainstream beers you're able to pickup almost anywhere.

2.76/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Have had this quite a bit over the years. Not a big fan of this style, and this beer has a tendency to skunk if bought in bottles. Thought I'd buy a sealed up 12 pack of this and revisit an old favorite.

L- Poured a light yellow color with about a 2 finger head that disappeared rather quickly. Lots of carbonation bubbles streaming up. Head completely gone, looks like an average beer now. No noticeable lacing.
S- No skunk smell! Smells of malt, very faint hops.
T- Light malt taste, picking up a green apple type flavor. Small amount of hop bitterness, nothing too noticeable.
F- Heavier beer for this style imo, enjoyable though.
O- I use to buy this as something different to drink than BMC. It's not a bad beer, I prefer Stella Artois in this style. If you can find this fresh either on draft, can or 12 pack bottles, give it a try. Not something I would go out of my way to purchase, but if nothing else is available, it's a descent back up.

2.5/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a clear light straw yellow with high carbonation.

Smells like a musty garage and skunky.

Tastes like musty stale grains.

Light-bodied, high carbonation.

Overall, a truly terrible beer.

3.71/5  rDev +34.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I've been drinking a lot of "craft" beers recently, so this is a sort of return to mainstream beers as a "control". This was from a bottle rather than draft, so no comment on head or color. The grain is flavorful, but malt tones are minimal with a smooth and inoffensive (and kinda forgettable) finish. Light without being "watery".

3.13/5  rDev +13.8%

I had this beer with an Indian entree on British Airways (it was either this or Amstel Light.)
Because it actually went well, I think it is time to consider giving Heineken some love... or at least appreciation in a tight spot.
I also like their business strategy of investing in craft brewers -- as they did with Lagunitas -- and giving it over-capacity in its Chicago brewery so the shop does some contract brewing and develops relations with other talented brewers. Lagunitas acts as Big Daddy and Heineken will provide the capital so craft brewers can train more and more of the market what good beer is. That's why I gave it an high Overall rating. But, this is just IMHO.

3.12/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 2.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Well the appearance of straw yellow, very weak and diluted isn't going to impress anyone.

Aroma hits those skunky lager notes, but I find the almost sulphuric notes to simply be a pleasant reminder of simpler, skunkier times. Noble/Saaz hops.

Taste has lots of carbonation, prickly hop notes, super mild malt barely toasted. I'm ok with this beer, its dandy on a hot day, especially in a can.

2.31/5  rDev -16%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

I used to love this one, and was then my 'regular'. After entering the craft business I use this one now to flush the toilets. It's awful. How can this be one of the most consumed beer in the world?

3.12/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A classic by anyone's standard. This is what Euro lager is about, light color, medium flavor that manages to be both rich and dry, malt and hops in balance. Unfortunately the stuff we get locally is skunky and stale by the time it gets on the shelf. I've had some that weren't but with so many options finding these in good condition is not worth the effort.

On it's game the beer is good and worthy of it's reputation.

2.91/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

clear golden with a few fingers of head, nice retention

nose is sweetish bread and skunk - not the best combo.

tastes very watery with some grain. finish is ok, lightish body. not a great beer but marginally better than some other lagers ive had.

2.74/5  rDev -0.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Very standard yellow look, with small head. Smells fairly skunky, but not too much. It tastes a little skunky, and watery, but I prefer it too most other macro lagers - European or American. The feel is light and made for drinking.

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.