Heineken Lager Beer

SCORE
Poor
Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer
Notes: Also known as Heineken Pilsener

Made with 3 ingredients, and they're all natural: Barley, Hops and water.

Yeast is an important part of the brewing process, but it's not an ingredient! Our natural A-Yeast produces a fruity flavor that is key in making the Heineken you know and love, and is filtered out after fermentation.
View: More Beers
Recent ratings and reviews. | Log in to view more ratings + sorting options.
Reviewed by Brook82 from Ohio

2.7/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75
This is without a doubt, the most inconsistent beer on the market. Majority of the time I have had one, it' been skunky and not enjoyable at all. Yeah, the look s good and the feel is pleasant, but the skunky, bitter taste leaves you not wanting another. Freshness and storage is key to getting a Heineken that tastes okay.
Sep 03, 2022

Rated: 1.45 by SeabN

Aug 26, 2022
Reviewed by ANIMOUL from Vermont

3.6/5  rDev +31.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5
Drank from 12 oz green bottle; no birth date. Taste of flat carbonation with slight but don’t biuscut taste. For what it is, there is far better out there
Aug 24, 2022

Rated: 2.27 by MrJones07 from Spain

Aug 20, 2022
Rated by Thunderduck22 from Ireland

Not much to say simple enough beer
Aug 19, 2022
Reviewed by HoppyBastard from Nebraska

2.72/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25
Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Shaker pint glass, "best by" date "May - 2023".

APPEARANCE: pours a clear, light golden color with 1 finger white head with decent retention, the head slowly dissipated until a thin, broken layer of small bubbles remained, there was minimal lacing on the glass, medium carbonation.

SMELL: sweet corn and Euro skunk.

TASTE: the taste follows the nose, initially sweet corn and then a skunky Euro hop profile.

PALATE: medium body and carbonation.

OVERALL: I used to drink this at the country club and thought it was classy, until the craft beer movement changed my life forever, now I just think it's another AAL except the bottle is green and it was brewed in Holland, it's overly sweet and skunky, I would not seek this out again.
Aug 09, 2022
Rated by daitanna

2.41/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5
Not my favorite
Aug 08, 2022
Reviewed by AlfromPA from Pennsylvania

2.47/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75
I put together a mix-six at the local supermarket. I included a bottle of Heineken. I hadn't had a Heineken in years--maybe 40; I remember it as a crisp, fresh, beer, much better than the American AALs of the era. I saw the "malt lager" appellation on the label, and thought that this must be a new product, an all-malt Heineken. Turns out it's the same, classic Heineken: It's an adjunct based lager, a bit hoppy but with a sweet overlay in the flavor that I suppose is a result of the corn in the recipe. I was a bit surprised by the extent to which I disliked it--I could barely finish the bottle. The sweetness clung to it all the way down. I love all things Dutch--visiting the country, cycling in it, exploring and savoring Amsterdam--with the exception, I guess, of this beer.
Aug 04, 2022

Rated: 2.5 by LAM01833 from Massachusetts

Aug 01, 2022
Reviewed by JZH1000 from Colorado

2.63/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75
Poured from a 24oz can best by March 2023 into a pils glass.

On thr pour a fine 3 finger head forms woth a light straw body that has strong carbonation. Head retention is good, but it becomes fizzy looking. Vague lacing.

Aroma is largely light skunked hops, mistreated lager yeast, and some light but bright esters. Maybe some vague corniness but not a lot of malt other than that.

Taste is quite similar to the smell woth the same off notes right up front. As some of the cheap euro characteristics fade a slight floral happiness does stick through in the largely bitter hop extract. Once again a light and oxidized corny maltiness barely shows up on the finish.

Feel is fizzy with a lot of carbonation bite. It's easy to drink but not the smoothest from all the off flavors. Not as watery as expected but bretty light. Longer finish but not great.

Overall this is a meh beer that's overpriced I only picked it up because it's the last thing that isn't a high gravity malt liquor left that I haven't reviewed out of the 24oz singles at my local shitty liquor store. I wish it was maltier, but I guess the hops are actually detectable albeit gross.
Aug 01, 2022

Rated: 2.79 by not2quick from Missouri

Jul 13, 2022

Rated: 3.45 by fflopps from Iowa

Jul 09, 2022
Rated by Vyre

My personal favorite pilsner. Light and refreshing and has a nice flavor and hop profile. Doesn't taste like water like most other pilsners.
Jul 07, 2022

Rated: 2.84 by Phoodcritic from Michigan

Jul 05, 2022

Reviewed by nickb2000

3.57/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25
Light Golden color, clear and has a white head. Smells very malt forward with a hint of citrus. Taste alright, kinda boring. Malty, some nuttiness and a hint of citrusy crispness. Overall its a alright, easy drinker. Its refreshing but its nothing special.
Jun 17, 2022
Rated by ShrimpEnjoyer

1.42/5  rDev -48.2%
Perhaps the worst, if not, one of them. The taste is like a sack of coins steeped in water. Beware!
Jun 05, 2022
Reviewed by crazyspicychef from Pennsylvania

1.68/5  rDev -38.7%
Imported Heineken is horrible.
I had it on tap on the Rock of Gibraltar and it was amazing.
It could have been the fact that it was very hot & I was very thirsty, but that was the best Heiny I ever had!
The bottled stuff to me tastes like stale hops and moldy malt.
I despise it.
Jun 03, 2022
Reviewed by jzeilinger from Pennsylvania

3.12/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3
Best By Date: September 2022

A - Light gold pour with vibrant carbonation.

S - Caramel, rice, and corn aroma.

T - Starts with some light earthy caramel malt followed with very light citrus, and then has a slight bit of toasted caramel on the finish.

M - Light medium body

O - This beer is what it is. It's been a staple in the beer world for a long time but not my gig. The fact I'm actually writing a review is really a feat in itself. This beer was brewed for quaffing, not sipping. All good.
May 29, 2022

Rated: 3.69 by Beer_Goblin from New York

May 28, 2022

Rated: 1.5 by Poblo from England

May 22, 2022
Reviewed by Spark420

2.6/5  rDev -5.1%
Drinkable beer if it’s fresh and ice cold. Once it begins to warm up the taste turns sour and skunky. This is a beer I’ll drink if it’s given to me but will never buy. At $3.40 per can in Ontario there are a lot of better options at the same price or cheaper.
May 20, 2022

Rated: 3.08 by BTexpress from Georgia

Apr 29, 2022
Reviewed by Sabtos from Ohio

3.22/5  rDev +17.5%
Sparkling pale gold with a tall white head settling to a very thickly persistent white blanket clinging well in doily lacing.

Just now realizing I have only ever had Heine Light, this is way less skunky than its younger sister, and it's actually got some faint banana characteristics. Color me dumbfounded!

Aside from that, there are notes of fresh baked buns with a slight tang of lemon rind, and its got a fluffy medium body that finishes semi-dry.

Wow, I really thought this would be a sub-3 score.
Apr 25, 2022

Rated: 2.75 by Icka31 from Ohio

Apr 23, 2022
Reviewed by GABronco

2.83/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75
My first Heineken—I made sure to get it in a can to avoid risk of skunk. Smell was fine—a little fruity. Taste is just meh. Not the worst macro, but not as flavorful as the crafts I prefer. Average at best.
Apr 17, 2022

Rated: 1.75 by ALeX117

Apr 12, 2022

Rated: 3.5 by johnzur

Mar 31, 2022

Reviewed by tekstr1der from New Hampshire

1.36/5  rDev -50.4%
look: 2 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.75
How this has survived for so long is well beyond my ability to comprehend. Throughout all the many years I've occasionally revisited this vile stuff it's always had a rather revolting aroma which carries through into the taste. An off-taste which appears popular.
Mar 02, 2022
Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.
Beer rating: 64 out of 100 with 5651 ratings