Heineken Lager Beer

SCORE
Poor
Heineken Lager BeerHeineken Lager Beer
Notes: Also known as Heineken Pilsener

Made with 3 ingredients, and they're all natural: Barley, Hops and water.

Yeast is an important part of the brewing process, but it's not an ingredient! Our natural A-Yeast produces a fruity flavor that is key in making the Heineken you know and love, and is filtered out after fermentation.
View: Beers
Reviews: 1,508 | Ratings: 5,490 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by beersampler6:
beersampler6 from Michigan

2.87/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

This was so-so. Ok - almost a solid 3/5. I remember it being stronger and more flavorful when I used to drink it, but of course that was 10-15 years ago. Now my palate is likely changed forever. Clear slightly darker golden color, really no head or lacing, and just faint thin streaming bubbles. Faintly smells of corn and malt. Tastes similarly. No real hops or depth. A little too sweet, but not cloyingly so. No metallic hard water aftertaste. Crisp, thin, mild mouthfeel, quickly fading carbonation. Goes flat quite quickly. Probably won’t have any more of these.

May 10, 2019
Beerwolf666 from Maryland

3.93/5  rDev +44%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Beer is a funny thing,or should I say "Personal Taste in Beer is a funny thing"~I Suppose Beer is just like anything else,what I myself find top notch and stellar,the next guy may find to be pure crap,guess that is what makes the world go round eh? and what a boring place this would be if we all liked the same tastes,smells,flavors ..and so on & so forth,..However it really blows my mind that "Heineken" is sooo poorly rated here on this site, "Heineken" a Poor Beer?..seriously? now I totaly understand that Heineken is far from a world class beer,and there are much better beers out there,I am sorry,but by no stretch of the Imagination is Heineken a "Poor Beer"..it is a smooth,easy drinking,Crisp Lager,and I pretty much suspect a lot of the "Poor" reviews are from "Hop Heads" and IPA Fanboys that bash every Beer with an IBU less then 80,I just find it almost impossible to believe that the average beer drinker[guys like me] would cringe in horror @ the thought of having to consume an Ice cold Heineken,utter Bulls*&t IMHO,to be fair,I drink a lot of Heineken & perhaps am a bit biased,but I Honestly enjoy it a gr8 deal,and think it is a wonderful Mass produced Macro Lager Beer~and how the "Beer Snobs" LOVE to bash ALL Macro Beers,but I myself personaly feel that "Macro Brewed Beer" has it's place in the wonderful world of beer,and I am not the least bit ashamed to say that,I drink ALL kinds of beer,from small batches of special seasonal beers from Micro breweries,to Chocolate stouts & Porters,Wheat ales,IPA's,APA's,Scottish ales,English Ales,and a Ton of others,and YES! I like some "Macro Brewed Beer" also,and to me, "Heineken" is a glowing example of just how damn good a "Macro brewed Beer" can actually be~Cheers.

Aug 18, 2013
Squire from Mississippi

3.59/5  rDev +31.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Light yellow color with white cap.

Aroma of mildly sweet malt and spicy, floral hops.

Taste is a solid balance between malt and hops with the edge going to malt. Malt gives the impression of being slightly sweet yet it drinks dry. Hops hide behind the malt but peek out often enough to be noticed. Finish is clean as is the aftertaste.

Medium texture with balancing carbonation.

Ok, sure, it's brewed for mass appeal but pleasing a lot of people is perhaps a laudable goal. A good, solid lager suitable for most food pairings and most any social gathering.

Apr 16, 2016
hophead723 from California

3.02/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is a good beer to review to set it apart from mass produced craft beer and mass produced overpriced lagers. This is a common beer that seems to blur the lines between the two, but I am here to put that to a stop once and for all.

Look: Very light gold, with lazy streams of carbonation and a towering white head. The head diminishes down to a half centimeter ring and veil. There was very loose lacing that did not last. When everything is settled the veil turns weird and choppy that breaks up with each sip and looks like rotten milk or yogurt. Not very appealing.

Smell: The aroma presents an upfront rush of lager yeast, a corn-like sweetness, and a bit of milled grain. It is somewhat one dimensional but is somehow mildly appealing.

Taste: Light malty corn sweetness, a slight tang from the yeast, a bit of dry green apple, and watery alcohol. It is loose overall but undeniably drinkable, especially on a hot day.

Feel: Light, crisp, loose, and slightly dry at the end. It is just about as light as you can get a lager without making it a light beer. The flavor relies on yeast and is completely void of hops.

Overall: This beer is simple to sum up; it is too light to really call it craft beer and would be good on a hot day but with so many other great choices you are better off with an easy drinking pale ale or bock without sacrificing flavor.

Jul 26, 2015
Dave97 from Virginia

3.87/5  rDev +41.8%

Poor - from a 24oz can - Nice poor; soapy 2 finger head that settles down very quickly into just a small white ring. No lacing.

Appearance - Nice 14k gold/straw; very clear, moderate carbonation.

Nose - very light sweet pilsner 2-row malt backbone (apparently their barley comes from France) with noticeable noble hop lemongrass sourness. Faint but present. Straw/hay, fresh cut lawn clippings, a tiny bit of corn (although there are no adjuncts in Heineken) and pilsner barley malt. Over all a nice light lager aroma.

Mouthfeel - Light, a little fizzy; but otherwise a very easy drinker. Dry, granny smith apple crisp.

Taste - in my opinion, the quintessential Euro-Lager. I've spent a lot of time in Europe and have drank a lot of macro Euro lagers and that's not a bad thing at all. I love the taste profile of the standard Euro lager. I like Noble hops and I'm not a supporter of the "Skunk" myth. This is a great atypical Euro Lager. Nice, light easy drinking; very sessionable. Sweet light malt, confectionery sugar sweet; Nice light to medium Noble Hop presense (probably mostly Halltertau?, but I know that they also use Czech hops, Saaz?) Very floral/pollen.

Finish - Short. Nothing on the sides of the tongue. Just a bitter/sour on the middle of the tongue and little on the throat. Floral, lemon, apple sour.

Final thoughts - This is my goto lager at most restaurants that don't server craft beer. I also stock this in my fridge. It is a great lager for before and during meals. It's great for all day drinking as well.

Food Pairings - Chinese, Italian, Greek, BBQ, Chili, Sausage, Indian, Thai.... basically almost anything.

Oct 03, 2015
Santosizer from California

YOU'RE NOT GOING TO READ THIS REVIEW!!!!!!

It's a pale lager pure and simple. It's a clean lager with a bit of dryness on the backend.

Dudes downvoting this are just hating on mass marketed beer. All in all, it's a wonderful style that greatly influenced other beers. It's enjoyable and gets the job done for the price point.

Dec 06, 2018
hopley from Massachusetts

4.27/5  rDev +56.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I really like Heineken - it just hits the spot sometimes. The intentionally skunky smell and taste, and the Belgian yeast taste, the light and refreshing body - it's all there for me. Certainly not a "craft beer" - and certainly mass produced - but it tastes great to me and really hit's the spot at the right time.

Jul 11, 2015
Wobbly from Missouri

3.25/5  rDev +19%

Is it great? Of course not. But I think it deserves a higher score than it gets here.

Sep 25, 2014
Thescotdrinker from Scotland

4.24/5  rDev +55.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4.75

Large head when poured which reduces down to a slim film of a head

Colour - golden honey colour
Smell - strong pleasant, copper penny smell
Taste - strong barley taste, sweet banana (highly carbonated) slight copper penny taste - lingering barley after taste

Overall - Heineken is my go to beer when im out and i must admit i prefer it on draft to bottle, however both bottle and draft draft are still my favourite beer

Apr 13, 2018
the_awesometeer from California

3.77/5  rDev +38.1%

The beer is a clear straw color with medium carbonation. The head was extremely thin and lasted about one minute. All i got was a slight malt smell but no hops. Also no skunk smells despite what everyone here is saying. No any other aromas but the same can be said for the flavor. Mild flavors of grass wheat and corn but the beer is smooth and easy to drink. Not very bitter at all but I did drink it out of a can and there was a metallic taste to it.

Sep 10, 2016
Bsimpson91 from Georgia

Iconic green bottle, golden European lager. The look of this beer is timeless and classic. Golden appearance typical for a pale lager. The smell is malty, bready, yeasty goodness. The flavor of this beer is much dryer than an American lager. You get a toasted malt character that has some subtle sweetness that quickly goes into a dry finish. You will also experience a pleasant and very underlying green apple flavor that Is one reason I love this beer. I believe Heineken is a wonderful lager with unique qualities that make it so well known across the world.

Jun 02, 2018
acmurphy696 from Georgia

While this in not a popular among craft beer lovers, we all have a commercial beer that appeals to us for whatever reason. Heineken was the first beer I drank on a regular basis after years of not drinking beer due to poor taste. While Heineken's flavor may not compare well to the great ales we now have available, it's my favorite among the mainstream beers you're able to pickup almost anywhere.

May 29, 2016
hottenot from North Carolina

3.26/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Edited review after some further research.
The canned version is lightyears ahead of the skanky green bottles.
Smells like grass or green hay.
Looks rather pale like a pilsner.
Tastes a bit like yeast and maybe some cloves.
Overall, much better canned.
AVOID THE NASTY GREEN BOTTLES.

Sep 29, 2018
CMIKEHUNT from New York

3.07/5  rDev +12.5%

Gateway beer.
Skunky . Light Golden. Clear. light .
forgettable ..
Used to love it before i knew anything about beer.
I look back at Heineken like riding a bike with training wheels.
Never look back.

Aug 26, 2015
MissYa from Washington

2.17/5  rDev -20.5%

Been a long time since I tasted this. But from my non beer drinking experiencing, this tasted kinda like a skunk, so I wouldn't buy this at all. Quite popular to Hennessy drinkers that I have noticed.

Aug 09, 2015
BitbEerpenguin from Pennsylvania

3.5/5  rDev +28.2%

I admire Heineken's independence and ability to brew their beer in all corners of the earth, even Nigeria! and still maintain consistent taste and quality. If it weren't for Heineken I don't think I would have survived my two years living in Nigeria. They brew the stuff in Lagos and it's the same great quality as what's brewed in Amsterdam.

Dec 28, 2018
Gajo74 from New York

2.97/5  rDev +8.8%

For me, not a terrible euro lager. It's best qualities are that it is somewhat crisp and refreshing under the right circumstances.(hot summer) However, it is mostly bland; not much aroma(some malt) mostly watery taste with a hint of hops. That's about it.

Aug 05, 2015
DarkStar75 from Texas

Heineken is a great beer...one of the best. Its a great beer because its simple. Good water, malted barley, hops..that's it, ..no corn, no rice, no fancy citrus ultra mega hopped BS or whatever the latest fad is either. Ya'll can drink whatever floats your boat. I'm always happy with a Heineken.

May 20, 2017
Tantonys from Maine

2.46/5  rDev -9.9%

Another good beer brand that sold out to AB.
Nothing like it used to be.
They even admit it on the label: Hops Extract
I remember 30-40 years ago when it was one of the best beers out there.
Then the Hops were brilliant and key to Heineken's success.
They even insured the yeast for a million dollars back then as I recall.
Doubtful I will ever purchase again unless something drastically changes:
Ditch the hops extract and please use whole hops once again.

Dec 15, 2018
Rlhj from New Hampshire

3.53/5  rDev +29.3%

This is a solid lager. If you want hoppy, drink an IPA. If you want bitter or malty, find an amber (which is my go to). That said, this is nothing short of a very good pale lager. I had one out of a bottle, then tried Blue Moon and Shocktop and went right back to this (local bar has only mass beers).

Dec 20, 2018
TheHonestDrinker from Texas

1.66/5  rDev -39.2%

A: bottled skunk hiney
T: bottled skunk hiney
S: bottled skunk hiney
M: bottled skunk hiney
O: a highly complex beer sporting notes of pine, hops, grain, and zest. Just kidding. Bottled skunk hiney.

Dec 31, 2016
Hackattack from Indiana

Hey now.... Heineys as we called them back in the late 70's when I was in high school... and we had to have an older brother buy them for us, was our supreme high dollar beer way before you could get the craft micro beers here in America that tried to emulate the European rich flavors. So "poor" ...come on! WHAT UP WITH THAT YOU YOUNGSTERS!!!!

Mar 02, 2017
Yackmo360 from California

1.67/5  rDev -38.8%

Never like this beer much. Just hadn't ever rated it so I thought I would. Hate the smell. Regular boring looking lager. Hate the way it smells. Taste is not tat much better, and that's what I really care about. Feel? Whatever, didn't care.

Aug 01, 2015
EmeraldMist from Maryland

3.6/5  rDev +31.9%

Look - Poured from a can, crystal clear golden, two and a half fingers of bone white head. No lacing.

Smell - Bubblegum or candy-like sweetness, faint grass

Taste - Wonder bread malt body, syrupy sweetness, very very faint grassy hops.

Feel - Thinnish with not a whole lot of carbonation. Really the only downside, not very crisp.

Overall - Reminds me of Genny cream ale in some ways. A tasty anytime beer. More carbonation wouldn't hurt, though.

Mar 31, 2017
Slatetank from Pennsylvania

2.73/5  rDev 0%

I picked this up to share with friends who aren't necessarily into craft beer. I ended up drinking 4/6 of the pack myself so why not review?
Presentation 7oz green bottle into a 1/2 pint.

A - A tranparent tarnished golden with visible carbonation topped by a snowy white cap which is rocky and retains ok with small beading. There is not really any lace clinging.

S - The smell is like canned vegetables and skunked arom is present, not especially good aroma w/ mild grainy corn pop hint w/ the spice of hop of hop in the scent, but not really the aroma with mild musty yeast note

M - The feel is light bodied with mild sweetness and slight bitterness, slight tinge of tang from the yesat. The beer finishes semi-dry and carbonation is medium without any real lingering texure, just basically fades out after the swallow

T - The taste is as the nose alludes to - a musty yeast and vegetal hop flavor with mild spice in the mid taste - a grainy light malt flavor is there with light sweetness that vanishes leaving the mild skunk flavor behind. The taste is something I am able to get over after half a bottle but if you have another beer and come back to it it is still there.

D - I would probably have this as a last resort. I bought it for the sake of economy and to revisit somethign I have drank for probably at least 5 yrs -not something I would recommend.

Aug 24, 2010
Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.
Beer rating: 64 out of 100 with 5490 ratings