Heineken Lager Beer | Heineken Nederland B.V.

poor

Added by OldFrothingSlosh on 01-29-2001

Ratings: 4,923 |  Reviews: 1,379
Reviews by tjacobs610:
2.75/5  rDev 0%

A: Golden pale yellow color, with a one finger sized white head. Has minimal lace and retention
S: Has a bit of skunk right away followed by a grassy grainy aroma
T: Very crisp taste. Up front is the taste of grains with an almost bitter and dry finish
M: Very clean, thin crisp feel. Also very light bodied maybe a little to watery
O:This beer is a classic example of a Euro Lager. Nothing outstanding but it has great drinkability, color and aroma. It only falls short with a bland taste

3.93/5  rDev +42.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

Beer is a funny thing,or should I say "Personal Taste in Beer is a funny thing"~I Suppose Beer is just like anything else,what I myself find top notch and stellar,the next guy may find to be pure crap,guess that is what makes the world go round eh? and what a boring place this would be if we all liked the same tastes,smells,flavors ..and so on & so forth,..However it really blows my mind that "Heineken" is sooo poorly rated here on this site, "Heineken" a Poor Beer?..seriously? now I totaly understand that Heineken is far from a world class beer,and there are much better beers out there,I am sorry,but by no stretch of the Imagination is Heineken a "Poor Beer"..it is a smooth,easy drinking,Crisp Lager,and I pretty much suspect a lot of the "Poor" reviews are from "Hop Heads" and IPA Fanboys that bash every Beer with an IBU less then 80,I just find it almost impossible to believe that the average beer drinker[guys like me] would cringe in horror @ the thought of having to consume an Ice cold Heineken,utter Bulls*&t IMHO,to be fair,I drink a lot of Heineken & perhaps am a bit biased,but I Honestly enjoy it a gr8 deal,and think it is a wonderful Mass produced Macro Lager Beer~and how the "Beer Snobs" LOVE to bash ALL Macro Beers,but I myself personaly feel that "Macro Brewed Beer" has it's place in the wonderful world of beer,and I am not the least bit ashamed to say that,I drink ALL kinds of beer,from small batches of special seasonal beers from Micro breweries,to Chocolate stouts & Porters,Wheat ales,IPA's,APA's,Scottish ales,English Ales,and a Ton of others,and YES! I like some "Macro Brewed Beer" also,and to me, "Heineken" is a glowing example of just how damn good a "Macro brewed Beer" can actually be~Cheers.

4.14/5  rDev +50.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow. A bunch of snot nose millenials that were shi**ing yellow while this was the best beer you could buy calling this beer swill. It both amuses and annoys me to read ratings by people that have no understandiing/appreciaton for beer's history. Don't get me wrong...I'm a hophead that brews my own beer (since 1990), and wouldn't brew this style. I generally prefer IPA's, pale ales, and an occasional saison or belgian. But so many on this site rate beers poorly because they don't like the STYLE, not because the beer is a poor example of the style. Okay, the green bottle is a poor choice, and I've had plenty of Heinekens that were a little skunky in my day. But it's also true that in the 70's, 80's, 90's and even after 2000, there weren't a ton of choices, and this was the only flavorful brew you could routinely find. Even today, taking pains not to romanticize my history with Heineken, it's a strong representation. Sharp bite with earthy European hops, a LOT more flavor than American macros, and a clean finish. I generally mix one in between Pliny's, Zombie Dust, Founder's Centennial, and my other IPA mainstays as a "palate cleanser." This, and a few other poorly rated beers are still great (Pilsener Urquell, Stella, and even-yes, Corona) are still great beers- In spite of what some youngsters that just last year discovered craft beer, and think every thing else is garbage- might tell you.

3.02/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

This is a good beer to review to set it apart from mass produced craft beer and mass produced overpriced lagers. This is a common beer that seems to blur the lines between the two, but I am here to put that to a stop once and for all.

Look: Very light gold, with lazy streams of carbonation and a towering white head. The head diminishes down to a half centimeter ring and veil. There was very loose lacing that did not last. When everything is settled the veil turns weird and choppy that breaks up with each sip and looks like rotten milk or yogurt. Not very appealing.

Smell: The aroma presents an upfront rush of lager yeast, a corn-like sweetness, and a bit of milled grain. It is somewhat one dimensional but is somehow mildly appealing.

Taste: Light malty corn sweetness, a slight tang from the yeast, a bit of dry green apple, and watery alcohol. It is loose overall but undeniably drinkable, especially on a hot day.

Feel: Light, crisp, loose, and slightly dry at the end. It is just about as light as you can get a lager without making it a light beer. The flavor relies on yeast and is completely void of hops.

Overall: This beer is simple to sum up; it is too light to really call it craft beer and would be good on a hot day but with so many other great choices you are better off with an easy drinking pale ale or bock without sacrificing flavor.

3.25/5  rDev +18.2%

Is it great? Of course not. But I think it deserves a higher score than it gets here.

3.87/5  rDev +40.7%

Poor - from a 24oz can - Nice poor; soapy 2 finger head that settles down very quickly into just a small white ring. No lacing.

Appearance - Nice 14k gold/straw; very clear, moderate carbonation.

Nose - very light sweet pilsner 2-row malt backbone (apparently their barley comes from France) with noticeable noble hop lemongrass sourness. Faint but present. Straw/hay, fresh cut lawn clippings, a tiny bit of corn (although there are no adjuncts in Heineken) and pilsner barley malt. Over all a nice light lager aroma.

Mouthfeel - Light, a little fizzy; but otherwise a very easy drinker. Dry, granny smith apple crisp.

Taste - in my opinion, the quintessential Euro-Lager. I've spent a lot of time in Europe and have drank a lot of macro Euro lagers and that's not a bad thing at all. I love the taste profile of the standard Euro lager. I like Noble hops and I'm not a supporter of the "Skunk" myth. This is a great atypical Euro Lager. Nice, light easy drinking; very sessionable. Sweet light malt, confectionery sugar sweet; Nice light to medium Noble Hop presense (probably mostly Halltertau?, but I know that they also use Czech hops, Saaz?) Very floral/pollen.

Finish - Short. Nothing on the sides of the tongue. Just a bitter/sour on the middle of the tongue and little on the throat. Floral, lemon, apple sour.

Final thoughts - This is my goto lager at most restaurants that don't server craft beer. I also stock this in my fridge. It is a great lager for before and during meals. It's great for all day drinking as well.

Food Pairings - Chinese, Italian, Greek, BBQ, Chili, Sausage, Indian, Thai.... basically almost anything.

4.27/5  rDev +55.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I really like Heineken - it just hits the spot sometimes. The intentionally skunky smell and taste, and the yeasty back of the mouth feel overpowers the adjuncts, and lack of body for me. Certainly not a "craft beer" - but it can be mass produced and taste good, at the right time of course!

3.12/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A classic by anyone's standard. This is what Euro lager is about, light color, medium flavor that manages to be both rich and dry, malt and hops in balance. Unfortunately the stuff we get locally is skunky and stale by the time it gets on the shelf. I've had some that weren't but with so many options finding these in good condition is not worth the effort.

On it's game the beer is good and worthy of it's reputation.

While this in not a popular among craft beer lovers, we all have a commercial beer that appeals to us for whatever reason. Heineken was the first beer I drank on a regular basis after years of not drinking beer due to poor taste. While Heineken's flavor may not compare well to the great ales we now have available, it's my favorite among the mainstream beers you're able to pickup almost anywhere.

1.67/5  rDev -39.3%

Never like this beer much. Just hadn't ever rated it so I thought I would. Hate the smell. Regular boring looking lager. Hate the way it smells. Taste is not tat much better, and that's what I really care about. Feel? Whatever, didn't care.

1.5/5  rDev -45.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

One of the worst beers ever made

1.66/5  rDev -39.6%

A: bottled skunk hiney
T: bottled skunk hiney
S: bottled skunk hiney
M: bottled skunk hiney
O: a highly complex beer sporting notes of pine, hops, grain, and zest. Just kidding. Bottled skunk hiney.

2.97/5  rDev +8%

For me, not a terrible euro lager. It's best qualities are that it is somewhat crisp and refreshing under the right circumstances.(hot summer) However, it is mostly bland; not much aroma(some malt) mostly watery taste with a hint of hops. That's about it.

3.07/5  rDev +11.6%

Gateway beer.
Skunky . Light Golden. Clear. light .
forgettable ..
Used to love it before i knew anything about beer.
I look back at Heineken like riding a bike with training wheels.
Never look back.

2.73/5  rDev -0.7%

I picked this up to share with friends who aren't necessarily into craft beer. I ended up drinking 4/6 of the pack myself so why not review?
Presentation 7oz green bottle into a 1/2 pint.

A - A tranparent tarnished golden with visible carbonation topped by a snowy white cap which is rocky and retains ok with small beading. There is not really any lace clinging.

S - The smell is like canned vegetables and skunked arom is present, not especially good aroma w/ mild grainy corn pop hint w/ the spice of hop of hop in the scent, but not really the aroma with mild musty yeast note

M - The feel is light bodied with mild sweetness and slight bitterness, slight tinge of tang from the yesat. The beer finishes semi-dry and carbonation is medium without any real lingering texure, just basically fades out after the swallow

T - The taste is as the nose alludes to - a musty yeast and vegetal hop flavor with mild spice in the mid taste - a grainy light malt flavor is there with light sweetness that vanishes leaving the mild skunk flavor behind. The taste is something I am able to get over after half a bottle but if you have another beer and come back to it it is still there.

D - I would probably have this as a last resort. I bought it for the sake of economy and to revisit somethign I have drank for probably at least 5 yrs -not something I would recommend.

1.5/5  rDev -45.5%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

when first opened it smells like an arsehole,the taste isnt as bad as the smell but its a pretty poor beer overall.still,its not as bad as some of its "competitors".

1.99/5  rDev -27.6%

I had this beer from a can of 500 ml.

Look: The body is dark yellow, looks like an American adjunct lager, is transparent and has a very visible carbonation. The one-finger head has a barm and recedes to a film with some lacings.

Smell: Because I had this beer from a can, you can smell the hops and some sweetness. Nothing more, nothing less.

Taste: I will divide this segment in two parts. Whilst the head or the thin layer is still there, the palate leaves us under the impression we are tasting a few drops of raw sugar combined with hops. As a result of that, the beer's bitterness is very low. Once the beer becomes flat, it oxidizes in that there will be a taste of skunk from the front to the back end. The skunk will also be on the nose.

Feel: The mouth-feel is akin to water that has been made just bitter enough, but not too much to make the masses run away. Nothing impressive.

Overall: Avoid Heineken at all costs! Unfortunately, this is a beer that is meant to be consumed quickly before it loses its simplistic taste. It is mostly watery and has a small hint of hops. That is pretty much it.

Hey now.... Heineys as we called them back in the late 70's when I was in high school... and we had to have an older brother buy them for us, was our supreme high dollar beer way before you could get the craft micro beers here in America that tried to emulate the European rich flavors. So "poor" ...come on! WHAT UP WITH THAT YOU YOUNGSTERS!!!!

4.35/5  rDev +58.2%

Heineken is a great beer...one of the best. Its a great beer because its simple, real beer. Good water, malted barley, hops..that's it, what beer is supposed to be..no corn, no rice, no fancy citrus ultra mega hopped BS or whatever the latest fad is either. Ya'll can drink whatever floats your boat. I'll have another Heineken.

2.17/5  rDev -21.1%

Been a long time since I tasted this. But from my non beer drinking experiencing, this tasted kinda like a skunk, so I wouldn't buy this at all. Quite popular to Hennessy drinkers that I have noticed.

3.6/5  rDev +30.9%

Look - Poured from a can, crystal clear golden, two and a half fingers of bone white head. No lacing.

Smell - Bubblegum or candy-like sweetness, faint grass

Taste - Wonder bread malt body, syrupy sweetness, very very faint grassy hops.

Feel - Thinnish with not a whole lot of carbonation. Really the only downside, not very crisp.

Overall - Reminds me of Genny cream ale in some ways. A tasty anytime beer. More carbonation wouldn't hurt, though.

3.96/5  rDev +44%

Wonderful golden yellow appearance. Thick white head that sticks around a bit. Shows good carbonation. Sweet, malty aroma with hops present but not dominant. Terrific, round taste. Sweetness from the malts. Hops balance the beer nicely. Good mouthfeel. Medium finish. Not too sweet, not too dry. Overall, A really nice beer. Easy drinking and not too taxing on the palate. I was pleasantly surprised with how enjoyable this can was, since the beer was canned a year ago.

24 oz can
Date on can: 4069 (March 10, 2014)
Served in a Pilsner glass

1.14/5  rDev -58.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.25

Might be one of my all time least favorites. Doesn't lack flavor like most beers in this style but it has a flavor that's offensive to me for some reason.

3.77/5  rDev +37.1%

The beer is a clear straw color with medium carbonation. The head was extremely thin and lasted about one minute. All i got was a slight malt smell but no hops. Also no skunk smells despite what everyone here is saying. No any other aromas but the same can be said for the flavor. Mild flavors of grass wheat and corn but the beer is smooth and easy to drink. Not very bitter at all but I did drink it out of a can and there was a metallic taste to it.

3.4/5  rDev +23.6%

I get this as my weeknight beer in 16 ounce cans at $24.99 per case which is quite a deal. My weekend beer is Warsteiner and I also like Schlitz Gusto.

This beer is solid and dependable for an evening of sports and relaxation.

It also treats me well the next day proving its not made of junk. As much as I like Schlitz, Heineken is better for the morning after with a taste that is as good or better.

Not the greatest but at the cost and convenience its perfect after a hard day's work and certainly better than most of the standard American brews.

Not for beer snobs but works perfectly for me. I like!

Heineken Lager Beer from Heineken Nederland B.V.